Please help a novice in distress

• Thread starter IsanFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Here's an update from day 33. Yesterday I made up another pot of the same medium and watered it until I had 10% runoff so I know exactly how much water to give my plants. Two days ago I chopped off the two big fan leaves on the Hindu Kush plants and pruned the lower parts of all three plants. I got a bit carried away and I think I took off too many leaves. The plants were already droopy and looked unhappy so I had an anxious night, during which I'd convinced myself I'd totally fucked my plants with my stupidity. To defoliate or not to defoliate? I appreciate that the leaves are the plants lungs so maybe you should never cut any leaves off, but I can also see how too many unnecessary leaves could drain the plants of energy. Pruning doesn't seem to have done any damage to my plants.

I fed them yesterday with a quarter dose of Fox Farm Grow Big and their response was great, they perked right up and look healthy again although the Northern Lights plant still has some yellowy leaves. I'm not experienced enough to know what is causing this so maybe somebody could give me some advice? The tops of the plants are getting 370 to 400 PPFD and the temp/RH levels are always around 76-78 Fahrenheit and 60%. I think they should be a bit bigger by I think the reason why they're not is because of the mistakes I made in the first few weeks of growth. Overall I'm quite happy though. Oh yeah now that I've stopped using RO water my PH pen has started giving me stable readings. It's tap water only for me from now on.
they are looking great! that chlorosis looking plant its not a deficiency neither a toxicity, it looks like tobacco mosaic virus to my eyes, could also be PH drifts, but not 100% sure here yet, leaning towards TMV.
It seems TMV is stronger than ever, many people having it. Normally plants can live with it ok, and sometimes it even vanish in flower but are carried on trough clones tho, some plants don't like it too much, affects yields and etc. Do a research about it so you get a better understanding of TMV.

EDIT - BTW did you rehydrated the probe with storage solution for some hours and calibrated it? than it came back to life?

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
im sure you mean for dual point calibration porpouses between buffer solutions ?
I work in a lab, we use distilled to clean them after use and then leave them in a potassium chloride solution and then recalibrate every morning with the acid, neutral, base calibration liquids.

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
TO THE MODERATOR WHO EDIT THIS POST:
What is wrong with you Mississippi boy? you remove a link to a product and at the same time there is myriad of link similar all other the forum! No need to look far just few posts above there is one (see screen capture below) not to mention those members who post to their monetizable content on you tube?
If I did something wrong, a short PM for an explanation about my mistake could have been more appropriate, maybe it request more than a few neurons than for a click? Furthermore, I am still unsure what I did wrong! “EDUCATES” to avoid repeated mistakes never come to your mind?
To conclude lets me teach you some Thai, then make yourself useful, delete my profile and all my personal information from database.

View attachment 1992921View attachment 1992922
Ha ha ha! Give them hell, Kung! But if that’s all it takes to run you off you are way too thin skinned! Oh, and by the way, that’s the wrong finger!

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Distilled to clean in between uses and then storage in the potassium chloride solution. I'll ask my boss though, she's a chemist. Just to be certain but that's what we use in the lab.
yep RO And Distilled can be used for very quick rinses, i wash my probe before and after use with running tap water tho, than it's closed with storage solution.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

they are looking great! that chlorosis looking plant its not a deficiency neither a toxicity, it looks like tobacco mosaic virus to my eyes, could also be PH drifts, but not 100% sure here yet, leaning towards TMV.
It seems TMV is stronger than ever, many people having it. Normally plants can live with it ok, and sometimes it even vanish in flower but are carried on trough clones tho, some plants don't like it too much, affects yields and etc. Do a research about it so you get a better understanding of TMV.

EDIT - BTW did you rehydrated the probe with storage solution for some hours and calibrated it? than it came back to life?

Ok cheers and I'll do a bit of research on TMV. As soon as I started using the tap water my pen started giving stable readings and no longer drifts. I haven't calibrated it yet because I contaminated all my buffers and had to buy new ones. They arrived today so I'm going to calibrate it in the morning.

Oh forgot, space your plants from each other, make use of those bars spread and the space you have!
try to fill the grow area with your canopy the best you can.
they will grow wider this way :-)

Ok point taken and I will spread them out. The reason I did it like that was so that they'd all be near the middle where the PPFD is the strongest. It never occurred to me that I can adjust the bars on the light or use the dimmer to ensure that they get the PPFD I want, even when they're at the edges of the light. What an idiot I am. What do you think - shall I keep them in a triangle shape or in a row? How many plants do you think I could grow off this one light? I want to do 6 next time but if you think I can do more than that then I'm going to go for it! Oh yeah, I've got a SCROG net, shall I start using that now or have I left it too late?

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Ok cheers and I'll do a bit of research on TMV. As soon as I started using the tap water my pen started giving stable readings and no longer drifts. I haven't calibrated it yet because I contaminated all my buffers and had to buy new ones. They arrived today so I'm going to calibrate it in the morning.

Ok point taken and I will spread them out. The reason I did it like that was so that they'd all be near the middle where the PPFD is the strongest. It never occurred to me that I can adjust the bars on the light or use the dimmer to ensure that they get the PPFD I want, even when they're at the edges of the light. What an idiot I am. What do you think - shall I keep them in a triangle shape or in a row? How many plants do you think I could grow off this one light? I want to do 6 next time but if you think I can do more than that then I'm going to go for it! Oh yeah, I've got a SCROG net, shall I start using that now or have I left it too late?
for a scrog 4-5 plants max and keep it symmetric imo, this way you can have less vegetative time.

for 3 plants in your case I would do a triangle.

Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

for a scrog 4-5 plants max and keep it symmetric imo, this way you can have less vegetative time.

for 3 plants in your case I would do a triangle.

Do you think I could start using a SCROG net on these plants? Officially I'm in week 5 but I think I'm going to veg for longer to compensate for the slow growth caused by my mistakes. Maybe the Hindu Kush plants aren't compatible with a SCROG net? And if I don't use one on my next grow, do you think I could grow 9 plants off this light?

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Do you think I could start using a SCROG net on these plants? Officially I'm in week 5 but I think I'm going to veg for longer to compensate for the slow growth caused by my mistakes. Maybe the Hindu Kush plants aren't compatible with a SCROG net? And if I don't use one on my next grow, do you think I could grow 9 plants off this light?
I think the plants need a bit more structure to start with the net, let the side branch's grow more imo, but I'm not really into scrog/sog, I personally hate having to deal with the net since in my setup I can't access the side windows of the tents, lol I even hate tents, much prefer open room flowering, SCROG gets you better yields tho that's a fact

Yes you could do 9 plants SOG style in that area, much smaller veg, smaller pots and a lot more watering frequency and maintenance too.

Depends on your objectives, I would do a 4-5 plants SCROG in your case would be the best yields taking in account the veg times, and the most balanced maintenance friendly too.

Edit- you should also plan a transplant to a bigger pot before you flower. I go with clones to a 7L pot than after 6-8 weeks 18L pot for flowering. The fresh media is nice plants love more room for roots at flowering.

Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

I think the plants need a bit more structure to start with the net, let the side branch's grow more imo, but I'm not really into scrog/sog, I personally hate having to deal with the net since in my setup I can't access the side windows of the tents, lol I even hate tents, much prefer open room flowering, SCROG gets you better yields tho that's a fact

Yes you could do 9 plants SOG style in that area, much smaller veg, smaller pots and a lot more watering frequency and maintenance too.

Depends on your objectives, I would do a 4-5 plants SCROG in your case would be the best yields taking in account the veg times, and the most balanced maintenance friendly too.

Edit- you should also plan a transplant to a bigger pot before you flower. I go with clones to a 7L pot than after 6-8 weeks 18L pot for flowering. The fresh media is nice plants love more room for roots at flowering.

First of all I'd just like to say that I'm really grateful for all the advice you've given me Trash, I really appreciate it. My objective is to get the highest yields possible with this tent and light. Bearing that in mind, I think I'm going to go for 5 plants using the SCROG method with the next grow, maybe even 6, or is that pushing it a bit too much? Maybe a 9 plant SOG is the better option? I really hadn't planned to transplant again and I find the idea of that daunting. I'm using 5 gallons pots now so what do you suggest transplanting them to? 7 gallon pots? I was thinking of using the SCROG net later today and if I do surely that means they'll have to stay in the 5 gallon pots to the end?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

Gotta look it up and find it again but I did see TMV is rampant but I thought I heard a new disease was running though cali canna crops

Lemme check around

Just so happens it was a new topic right here in the farm 😁

https://www.thcfarmer.com/news/wide...es-over-90-of-californias-cannabis-farms.371/

Thanks @logic 😆

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

First of all I'd just like to say that I'm really grateful for all the advice you've given me Trash, I really appreciate it. My objective is to get the highest yields possible with this tent and light. Bearing that in mind, I think I'm going to go for 5 plants using the SCROG method with the next grow, maybe even 6, or is that pushing it a bit too much? Maybe a 9 plant SOG is the better option? I really hadn't planned to transplant again and I find the idea of that daunting. I'm using 5 gallons pots now so what do you suggest transplanting them to? 7 gallon pots? I was thinking of using the SCROG net later today and if I do surely that means they'll have to stay in the 5 gallon pots to the end?
For this first run 5 gallons is pretty good, next run start with 2gallon pots than go for the 5 gallons for flower imo.
You can test every style and see what you like best,4-5 plants scrog or 9+ plants SOG.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

For this first run 5 gallons is pretty good, next run start with 2gallon pots than go for the 5 gallons for flower imo.
You can test every style and see what you like best,4-5 plants scrog or 9+ plants SOG.

Oh I will do believe me, I'm mad for it now and I'm already starting to plan the logistics of a much more sophisticated operation in the house we're moving into soon. I'm going to keep doing grows with the equipment I have now until I've learnt how to keep mother plants and take clones, at that point I'm going to scale up to a grow room with a continuous cycle. I've spent most of the day researching air conditioning.

Next time I think I'm going to plant straight into 5 gallon pots and keep them there until the end. My initial plan was to do SCROG and I bought some nets but I can see how they could be a pain in the arse to deal with, for one thing I like to turn my plants and move them etc so I'm thinking SOG would work better for me in future. Or is it a bad idea to move plants about when they're set up in a SOG and so close together? Owing to the increased watering schedules etc it seems that the SOG method is the hardest of the two to master?

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Oh I will do believe me, I'm mad for it now and I'm already starting to plan the logistics of a much more sophisticated operation in the house we're moving into soon. I'm going to keep doing grows with the equipment I have now until I've learnt how to keep mother plants and take clones, at that point I'm going to scale up to a grow room with a continuous cycle. I've spent most of the day researching air conditioning.

Next time I think I'm going to plant straight into 5 gallon pots and keep them there until the end. My initial plan was to do SCROG and I bought some nets but I can see how they could be a pain in the arse to deal with, for one thing I like to turn my plants and move them etc so I'm thinking SOG would work better for me in future. Or is it a bad idea to move plants about when they're set up in a SOG and so close together? Owing to the increased watering schedules etc it seems that the SOG method is the hardest of the two to master?
You can move plants no problem in a SOG indoors just wait for some days before moving them again.
SOG is more time consuming because you have to water more frequently, do a lot more clones etc etc etc, general maintenance during the grow that's all, but everything has its pros and cons.
SCROG you have to bend and tuck under the net many times do a lot more lollipoping, defoliation, another kind of maintenance. SCROG/SOG are just two different high yielding styles of growing none of them really more difficult to master just different.

Edit-its better to start in a smaller pot (2gal) and one week before flower or at flower transplant to the 5gal pots. Cannabis love new fresh soil so their roots can grow freely in the flowering strech phase (first ~21 days of flower), you gonna get better yields this way.

Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Here's an update from day 40. I added a SCROG net although it hasn't made much difference considering the shape and size of my plants. It has opened up some of the bud sites that weren't getting enough light though. My first experience with using one of these nets hasn't been great and I find that they make maintenance of your plants really awkward (attaching the carbon filter was a nightmare) so I doubt I'll use one again and in future will try the SOG method instead. I gave them approximately 4 litres of water each three days ago with 7ml of CalMag, 12ml of liquid seaweed and 30 ml of molasses. They'll probably need feeding again tomorrow. I lowered the light a little and they're all getting in the region of 450 PPFD. There seems to have been minimal growth in the last week, surely they should be bigger than this at this stage? I can't work out what the problem is. Does anybody have any ideas?

20230618 184239
20230618 184245
20230618 184249
20230618 184253
20230618 184257
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Here's an update from day 40. I added a SCROG net although it hasn't made much difference considering the shape and size of my plants. It has opened up some of the bud sites that weren't getting enough light though. My first experience with using one of these nets hasn't been great and I find that they make maintenance of your plants really awkward (attaching the carbon filter was a nightmare) so I doubt I'll use one again and in future will try the SOG method instead. I gave them approximately 4 litres of water each three days ago with 7ml of CalMag, 12ml of liquid seaweed and 30 ml of molasses. They'll probably need feeding again tomorrow. I lowered the light a little and they're all getting in the region of 450 PPFD. There seems to have been minimal growth in the last week, surely they should be bigger than this at this stage? I can't work out what the problem is. Does anybody have any ideas?
Hey there mate did you calibrated the app with the ppfd chart of your lamp?

Latest posts

Top Bottom