Please help a novice in distress

• Thread starter IsanFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sparky43

Here's an update from day 40. I added a SCROG net although it hasn't made much difference considering the shape and size of my plants. It has opened up some of the bud sites that weren't getting enough light though. My first experience with using one of these nets hasn't been great and I find that they make maintenance of your plants really awkward (attaching the carbon filter was a nightmare) so I doubt I'll use one again and in future will try the SOG method instead. I gave them approximately 4 litres of water each three days ago with 7ml of CalMag, 12ml of liquid seaweed and 30 ml of molasses. They'll probably need feeding again tomorrow. I lowered the light a little and they're all getting in the region of 450 PPFD. There seems to have been minimal growth in the last week, surely they should be bigger than this at this stage? I can't work out what the problem is. Does anybody have any ideas?
you can always cut the net out and use bamboo stakes. Your light needs to increase 2x. But, before you do that, make sure they are thriving. Your feed regime will not be adequate, you have a lot of micros in seaweed and molasses but is unbalanced in the major nutes. Unless you have a field where you can improve the soil year on year with organic inputs and add sustainability, it is not the way to go.
A plant can grow in many types of soil because it needs a limited amount of certain nutes. Just because you add organic inputs to a batch of media will not make your bud smell better in the end. Of course you can manipulate a plant with nutrient inputs but generally, the plants wants certain nutrients at certain stages along with all the other inputs of environment: light, temp., moisture, etc.

I

imhigh

I'm currently on day 18 of my first grow. I'm growing 2 Hindu Kush and 1 Northern Lights. I started in plastic cups but the Hindu Kush plants became root bound so I transferred all of the plants 3 days ago to 5 gallon pots. My plants look quite healthy but the problem I have is that they don't seem to have got any taller in the last week. If you look at the close up photos you'll see that the Hindu Kush plants have a whole bunch of nodes in the same place which I can't understand. Also, the Northern Lights plant seems so small compared to the others even though this is also an Indica strain. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking that I might need to top the two Hindu Kush plants because this is causing the problem with the node bunching but aren't they a little small to be topped now?

I'm using a Mars Hydro FC-E4800 at 24" and 50% power. 18 and 6 hours. The temperature and RH is constantly 76 to 80 Fahrenheit and 50% to 70% respectively. I've got three fans on constantly. Two oscillating fans, and a 6" Spider Farmer exhaust fan on speed 3. Everybody says it's better to underwater than overwater but I think I may have underwatered too much and this has stunted their growth? I've been using molasses and liquid seaweed to feed them and I've just given them about 2 litres of water each. I've just ordered the Fox Farm nutrients trio and some Cal Mag and they should be delivered in the next few days so I'll start using them as soon as they come. Why do my plants look like this or are they normal at this stage and I just need to be patient?
I use cloth grow bags, can't over water. This is 2 Purple Sunsets just started. I have tons of these seeds which should all be female. I like new growers. If you like side message me a address and I will send some. All seeds are is a biproduct of the plant, and I refuse to charge for that. Just to check on germination I have started and thrown away 6 plants at 100% germination.

I

imhigh

I'm currently on day 18 of my first grow. I'm growing 2 Hindu Kush and 1 Northern Lights. I started in plastic cups but the Hindu Kush plants became root bound so I transferred all of the plants 3 days ago to 5 gallon pots. My plants look quite healthy but the problem I have is that they don't seem to have got any taller in the last week. If you look at the close up photos you'll see that the Hindu Kush plants have a whole bunch of nodes in the same place which I can't understand. Also, the Northern Lights plant seems so small compared to the others even though this is also an Indica strain. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking that I might need to top the two Hindu Kush plants because this is causing the problem with the node bunching but aren't they a little small to be topped now?

I'm using a Mars Hydro FC-E4800 at 24" and 50% power. 18 and 6 hours. The temperature and RH is constantly 76 to 80 Fahrenheit and 50% to 70% respectively. I've got three fans on constantly. Two oscillating fans, and a 6" Spider Farmer exhaust fan on speed 3. Everybody says it's better to underwater than overwater but I think I may have underwatered too much and this has stunted their growth? I've been using molasses and liquid seaweed to feed them and I've just given them about 2 litres of water each. I've just ordered the Fox Farm nutrients trio and some Cal Mag and they should be delivered in the next few days so I'll start using them as soon as they come. Why do my plants look like this or are they normal at this stage and I just need to be patient?
Overall these are good. Pick off bad leaves as they offer nothing, For 50.00 you can buy small less that eat much less power. Same light but a further along plant. Also raise to 80% and drop light to 1 foot. When flowering I go 6 or 7 inches above tallest branch at 100%. I have zero problems doing this. My opinion only. Last pic is showing this. Just a hobby, and I give most away.

Richju2175

Richju2175

Good morning I have 2 of those lights that my father inlaw gave me I want to use them but didn’t really know how I’m a beginner. Also what strain is that in the pic

Richju2175

Richju2175

I use cloth grow bags, can't over water. This is 2 Purple Sunsets just started. I have tons of these seeds which should all be female. I like new growers. If you like side message me an address and I will send some. All seeds are is a biproduct of the plant, and I refuse to charge for that. Just to check on germination I have started and thrown away 6 plants at 100% germination.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Day 42 and I still have stunted growth. My plants aren't looking very healthy right now either, one of them has browning leaves, one of them has yellowy leaves, and one of them has yellow patterns on the leaves. My inexperience means I am unable to determine why this is happening but I believe it to be inadequate light or a nutrient deficiency. I've decided to lower the light so it's only 16 to 20 inches above the tops of the canopies. If they don't respond well then I'll conclude that it's a nutrient deficiency but maybe I am inaccurate with my assessment. Does anybody have any advice?

20230621 101002
20230621 101009
20230621 101017
20230621 101029
20230621 101034
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Day 42 and I still have stunted growth. My plants aren't looking very healthy right now either, one of them has browning leaves, one of them has yellowy leaves, and one of them has yellow patterns on the leaves. My inexperience means I am unable to determine why this is happening but I believe it to be inadequate light or a nutrient deficiency. I've decided to lower the light so it's only 16 to 20 inches above the tops of the canopies. If they don't respond well then I'll conclude that it's a nutrient deficiency but maybe I am inaccurate with my assessment. Does anybody have any advice?
hey, tomorrow i’ll try to read your thread and help you out..

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

From here looks like too much light intensity, how much light they are getting? Still at 1/4 dose nutrients?

Did you checked if that local seaweed is for soil drench too? Was in a spray only bottle isn't?. I would stop using that all together for a while.

Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

From here looks like too much light intensity, how much light they are getting? Still at 1/4 dose nutrients?

Did you checked if that local seaweed is for soil drench too? Was in a spray only bottle isn't?. I would stop using that all together for a while.

Shortest canopy is getting 450 PPFD, tallest is getting 520. I increased the nutrient dose to 1/2 the recommended dose because they've barely grown in the last ten days. I'm not sure about the seaweed. It was in a spray bottle yes, but I'll have to go back to the shop and check if it can be used for watering the soil.

Did you follow that advice? I wouldn't.

No I didn't because even I know that wouldn't be a good idea. I have lowered the light though to 16" above the tallest canopy and 20" for the shortest. These plants just don't want to grow and now they look really unhealthy.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Shortest canopy is getting 450 PPFD, tallest is getting 520. I increased the nutrient dose to 1/2 the recommended dose because they've barely grown in the last ten days. I'm not sure about the seaweed. It was in a spray bottle yes, but I'll have to go back to the shop and check if it can be used for watering the soil.

No I didn't because even I know that wouldn't be a good idea. I have lowered the light though to 16" above the tallest canopy and 20" for the shortest. These plants just don't want to grow and now they look really unhealthy.
So from 10 days to now what have you changed that you wasn't doing before? Any new variable has changed during this 10 days other than increase to 1/2 strenght ferts? I would still go 1/4 maybe 1/3 strength for now tho.

I would raise lights back up to maintain 400max ppfd for now too.

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

they are looking great! that chlorosis looking plant its not a deficiency neither a toxicity, it looks like tobacco mosaic virus to my eyes, could also be PH drifts, but not 100% sure here yet, leaning towards TMV.
It seems TMV is stronger than ever, many people having it. Normally plants can live with it ok, and sometimes it even vanish in flower but are carried on trough clones tho, some plants don't like it too much, affects yields and etc. Do a research about it so you get a better understanding of TMV.

EDIT - BTW did you rehydrated the probe with storage solution for some hours and calibrated it? than it came back to life?
That plant I said was maybe TMV looking now it's more clear that's too much light damage.

Raise lights to lower ppfd to 400 max
Back off feeding to 1/3 recommend dose, are you following the fox farms feed schedule, looking at it says to use big Bloom in veg too, use it 1/3 dosage too.
Back off calmag to 4ml/12L
Back off that seaweed sprays and soil drench completely.

That higher plant tuck it under the net (train it so its the same hight as others)

Next watering go with 30% runoff just water/molasses, just this time to balance a little your media EC, always PH to 6.5 for soil. Than for next feed go again with 10%runoff as usual.

And let's wait for @GNick55 feedback too ;-)
Cheers

EDIT - how long pots are taking to dryback before next watering/feeding?

Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

So from 10 days to now what have you changed that you wasn't doing before? Any new variable has changed during this 10 days other than increase to 1/2 strenght ferts? I would still go 1/4 maybe 1/3 strength for now tho.

I would raise lights back up to maintain 400max ppfd for now too.

The only thing I can think of is the temperature being a bit too high at times, sometimes it creeps into the 80s but only for a bit so I can't see that being that harmful? What about light leaks during the dark cycle? During the dark cycle it's cooler so I switch the aircon off but sometimes I don't do it before the lights go off at 2200 and I have to go in the room to turn it off. I don't turn the light in the grow room on but there is a little light coming in from the elsewhere when I go in there. Is this a factor?

That plant I said was maybe TMV looking now it's more clear that's too much light damage.

Raise lights to lower ppfd to 400 max
Back off feeding to 1/3 recommend dose, are you following the fox farms feed schedule, looking at it says to use big Bloom in veg too, use it 1/3 dosage too.
Back off calmag to 4ml/12L
Back off that seaweed sprays and soil drench completely.

That higher plant tuck it under the net (train it so its the same hight as others)

Next watering go with 30% runoff just water/molasses, just this time to balance a little your media EC, always PH to 6.5 for soil. Than for next feed go again with 10%runoff as usual.

And let's wait for @GNick55 feedback too ;-)
Cheers

EDIT - how long pots are taking to dryback before next watering/feeding?

I've been following your advice to the letter so I haven't been using the Big Bloom, only the Grow Big. I'll decrease the doses a little with the next feed. I've only given them CalMag once so far. Next time I use that I'll decrease the dose of that too. I've trained the tallest plant so that's it's nearly the same height as the others. It turns out that the seaweed I bought isn't for the soil, it's supposed to be used as a foliar spray so I'll stop using that when I water them. I've raised the light and they're getting around 400 PPFD now. Temperatures are almost always between 76 and 80 and humidity is always around 50 to 60%. I've just checked the PH of the soil and they're all 6.8. It isn't possible for me to collect the runoff while I'm using a SCROG net so I may have to get rid of this the next time I water them. I'm coming up to the end of week 6 so it's normally time to flip soon but I guess I should keep them in beg and get these problems addressed before I flip them?

DJK12

DJK12

It is a lot of fun. There are a few milestones too. The first flowers you see, hanging your first plants to dry, having the first hit of what you grew.........

The most amazing part for me is when you make your own seeds. The realization that you made that happen, it's a variety that no one else has........then when you plant and grow those seeds, to tell your friends "I made this"..
I would say the same about my kid 🥹

But don't have one, cause I had a vasectomy when I was 14

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I would say the same about my kid 🥹

But don't have one, cause I had a vasectomy when I was 14
Yeah I know it's really kinda wait a minute whaaat!!??? I mean.....if you'd like to tell us more, that's not a very common thing. I hope you're ok. There may be.....other ways.....

My Dad is an only child, I'm an only child, my son is an only child......he's 25 now. 25. Good lord I was just 25....wtf.....

Top Bottom