Please help a novice in distress

• Thread starter IsanFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Yes and this has pissed me off because they should be a bit clearer about this, if they're telling you that you should never soak the pen in RO water then it stands to reason that it's probably not a good idea to use it with RO water full stop. Hopefully the pen will still calibrate when my new PH buffers are delivered but if it doesn't that was a schoolboy error and an expensive mistake. Tell me, if I soak the probe in the storage solution, can I reuse that solution again or is that a no no as well?
Storage solution same.thing use 20 ml in a small cup for the two hours soak. And trow it away after,.leave some fresh drops inside the electrode cover too (I put a little pure cotton ball inside there that I keep moist with storage solution all the time)

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

I am from Chiang Mai, study in Bangkok, working and living in Phan Thong for Kubota, you probably saw then a lot 555. Phan Thong Ph is 7.4 stable ppm 210, in Bkk it fluctuates a lot but often out of range for both so using RO mixed with tap water, no choice.
Myth: chlorine or chloramide in tap water are toxic to plant. Partly true for hydroponic only as root may brownish.
Cal Mag or PH down for example are much more toxic to microorganism. Yes, let’s water sit for 48 hours it will evaporate, as a precautionary step. Pumping air works also but not necessary at all. Your tap water at 60ppm, the level of chlorine or chloramine will be well below 10ppm and toxicity won’t show up as long as pure chlorine or chloramide are below 100ppm so your tap water can be used right away without any problems chlorine and chloramide are a no concern at such level. Furthermore, plant need chlorine to thrive.

I think I'll need to get a better PPM metre before I start using the tap water straight from the tap. It's only a cheap one so I don't trust the reading. I'll let the water sit for a bit before I use it, just to be sure.

citrus7144

citrus7144

Supporter
I'm currently on day 18 of my first grow. I'm growing 2 Hindu Kush and 1 Northern Lights. I started in plastic cups but the Hindu Kush plants became root bound so I transferred all of the plants 3 days ago to 5 gallon pots. My plants look quite healthy but the problem I have is that they don't seem to have got any taller in the last week. If you look at the close up photos you'll see that the Hindu Kush plants have a whole bunch of nodes in the same place which I can't understand. Also, the Northern Lights plant seems so small compared to the others even though this is also an Indica strain. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking that I might need to top the two Hindu Kush plants because this is causing the problem with the node bunching but aren't they a little small to be topped now?

I'm using a Mars Hydro FC-E4800 at 24" and 50% power. 18 and 6 hours. The temperature and RH is constantly 76 to 80 Fahrenheit and 50% to 70% respectively. I've got three fans on constantly. Two oscillating fans, and a 6" Spider Farmer exhaust fan on speed 3. Everybody says it's better to underwater than overwater but I think I may have underwatered too much and this has stunted their growth? I've been using molasses and liquid seaweed to feed them and I've just given them about 2 litres of water each. I've just ordered the Fox Farm nutrients trio and some Cal Mag and they should be delivered in the next few days so I'll start using them as soon as they come. Why do my plants look like this or are they normal at this stage and I just need to be patient?
Your plants look ok to me I would give them a bit of time to get used to being in bigger containers and watch them grow. I recommend Trash's feeding cycle until you work one out for yourself. Anytime you change something for a plant it takes them from 3-7 days to get their feet back under them so to speak. So moving them into bigger containers they had to get used to the new room and understand they were no longer root bound. once they realize they have more room they will get bigger fast. I would also start training them soon as well. I constantly fail at this and my plants get too tall. 🙃 If you continue to have questions or think something is really wrong just reach out to us we are happy to help have a great day.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Your plants look ok to me I would give them a bit of time to get used to being in bigger containers and watch them grow. I recommend Trash's feeding cycle until you work one out for yourself. Anytime you change something for a plant it takes them from 3-7 days to get their feet back under them so to speak. So moving them into bigger containers they had to get used to the new room and understand they were no longer root bound. once they realize they have more room they will get bigger fast. I would also start training them soon as well. I constantly fail at this and my plants get too tall. 🙃 If you continue to have questions or think something is really wrong just reach out to us we are happy to help have a great day.

Yes I want to start training them soon and I have some bonsai wire and a scrog net at the ready. Any pointers you can give me?

MissMedijuana

MissMedijuana

I think I'll need to get a better PPM metre before I start using the tap water straight from the tap. It's only a cheap one so I don't trust the reading. I'll let the water sit for a bit before I use it, just to be sure.
I am using HM Digital COM-80, reading are accurate 3-5% compare to lab result from university about 1100 THB

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

I am using HM Digital COM-80, reading are accurate 3-5% compare to lab result from university about 1100 THB

That looks like a nice bit of kit and I think I may invest in one before I start my next grow - hopefully by then I should know how to use it. 😀

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I use Hanna instruments for I don't even remember how long, their combo PH/EC/temp waterproof pens lasts me like 5-7 years before I need a replacement (i don't replace the electrode I replace the whole pen as they don't cover electrodes after they are installed), so better get a whole new one all together and cut the loses.

This is the one I use, every month I calibrate it and it's PH +/- 0.01-0.02 out of cal LOL this things are accurate.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Why in the world did u top these plants?

Because I am an impatient newbie that doesn't know what he's doing! I don't think it did my plants a lot of good and I won't be doing it so early with my next grow. Do you think it has had a detrimental affect on the plants?

Not detrimental, matter of fact no harm at all. Just curious, not throwing shade. I was wondering where the buds are gonna grow? Like you said, next grow let them stretch a bit before you top them.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Not detrimental, matter of fact no harm at all. Just curious, not throwing shade. I was wondering where the buds are gonna grow? Like you said, next grow let them stretch a bit before you top them.

I'm going to start LST training them soon.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Some photos from today, which is day 31. I bought a new humidifier which doesn't give off any light and I'm really happy with it. I also changed the fan at the bottom of the tent to a clip on one because the previous one was too powerful. The soil is still moist from watering them two days ago so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to feed them. I increased the intensity of the light to 60% so that the top of the tallest canopy is getting 465 micromoles, and the lowest canopy 400.

I decided to implement some LST but I haven't got a clue what I am doing and I'm winging it. Does my attempt at LST look ok? I figure that I have nothing to lose considering this is my first grow. Overall I'm happy with the look of my plants but I feel as if they should be much bigger by now? LST on the smallest plant seemed a little excessive considering how small it is but it has grown with multiple nodes at the bottom of the plant and some of them are covered over and not getting enough light. There's an abundance of small leaves at the bottom of the plants that are surely draining the plants of energy, shouldn't I cut these off now? And two of the plants have a pair of massive fan leaves. Should I chop them off or keep them?

20230610 160553
20230610 160612
20230610 160631
20230610 160639
20230610 160653
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Some photos from today, which is day 31. I bought a new humidifier which doesn't give off any light and I'm really happy with it. I also changed the fan at the bottom of the tent to a clip on one because the previous one was too powerful. The soil is still moist from watering them two days ago so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to feed them. I increased the intensity of the light to 60% so that the top of the tallest canopy is getting 465 micromoles, and the lowest canopy 400.

I decided to implement some LST but I haven't got a clue what I am doing and I'm winging it. Does my attempt at LST look ok? I figure that I have nothing to lose considering this is my first grow. Overall I'm happy with the look of my plants but I feel as if they should be much bigger by now? LST on the smallest plant seemed a little excessive considering how small it is but it has grown with multiple nodes at the bottom of the plant and some of them are covered over and not getting enough light. There's an abundance of small leaves at the bottom of the plants that are surely draining the plants of energy, shouldn't I cut these off now? And two of the plants have a pair of massive fan leaves. Should I chop them off or keep them?
take them off if you want.
the reason for big bloated puffy looking leaves and a stunty looking plants is your watering too frequently..

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

take them off if you want.
the reason for big bloated puffy looking leaves and a stunty looking plants is your watering too frequently..

Thanks for the advice. I've gone from one extreme to the other with the watering! Tomorrow I'll have a light defoliation of some of the lower leaves and the two massive fan leaves that two of them have, but I won't feed as planned, not until I'm satisfied the soil is bone dry and they really need it.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Thanks for the advice. I've gone from one extreme to the other with the watering! Tomorrow I'll have a light defoliation of some of the lower leaves and the two massive fan leaves that two of them have, but I won't feed as planned, not until I'm satisfied the soil is bone dry and they really need it.

Last thing then I'm out to watch. Don't feed your plants bone dry soil. You want normal moist soil for adding nutrients. If not the plants will take in too many nutrients at one time and burn them. You are just making the nutrients AVAILABLE for the plant to use, you are not actually "feeding" the plant.

MissMedijuana

MissMedijuana

Step 1: Water retention capacity to give you an idea of how much water to use at. Take your 5-gallon smart pot, fill it with your substrate out of the bag mix with perlite in your ratio, then add water with half liter of water, lets sit few minutes and repeat until runoff start. Now you know how much water you should add at every watering.
Step 2: Use your finger, scratch gently 1 inch dep near your tree base if it feels dry you are good to go. Water with the amount of water you calculate above and check your runoff it should be around 10 %. Adapt according.
You are almost done, a fully sutured 5 gallons should withstand 3-4 days, 3 gallons 2-3 days.
When you water your plant never in once, it will have dry pocket which is very bad as salt will build up around there. I do it in 3 times with 5 minutes interval.
Additionally, if you don’t do it yet, keep a record of what you do, date, temp, humidity, light, watering nutes, problems, working solution or not and photos.
Lets your soil dry is important but regularity in watering prime.
Bellow a pic of a saucer that I found extremely useful as it as a tray which collect runoff for easy measurement, Shoppe, Lazada…

IMG 25660611 014717

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Last thing then I'm out to watch. Don't feed your plants bone dry soil. You want normal moist soil for adding nutrients. If not the plants will take in too many nutrients at one time and burn them. You are just making the nutrients AVAILABLE for the plant to use, you are not actually "feeding" the plant.

Ok thanks for the advice and I hope I make the right decision when it comes to their next feed. For the experienced growers following this thread I'm sure they're all thinking "what the fuck is this guy up to" at times and having a laugh at my expense but they don't want to chime in with advice because they know in the long run it'll do me good to learn by my mistakes and work out the solutions to the problems on my own.

Step 1: Water retention capacity to give you an idea of how much water to use at. Take your 5-gallon smart pot, fill it with your substrate out of the bag mix with perlite in your ratio, then add water with half liter of water, lets sit few minutes and repeat until runoff start. Now you know how much water you should add at every watering.
Step 2: Use your finger, scratch gently 1 inch dep near your tree base if it feels dry you are good to go. Water with the amount of water you calculate above and check your runoff it should be around 10 %. Adapt according.
You are almost done, a fully sutured 5 gallons should withstand 3-4 days, 3 gallons 2-3 days.
When you water your plant never in once, it will have dry pocket which is very bad as salt will build up around there. I do it in 3 times with 5 minutes interval.
Additionally, if you don’t do it yet, keep a record of what you do, date, temp, humidity, light, watering nutes, problems, working solution or not and photos.
Lets your soil dry is important but regularity in watering prime.
Bellow a pic of a saucer that I found extremely useful as it as a tray which collect runoff for easy measurement, Shoppe, Lazada…

View attachment 1991994

That's some good advice that I really appreciate Kung. Later today I'll fill another 5 gallon pot with the same medium and use your method so I can work out how much water I need to use each time. I do keep a record of what I do each day. Can you send me a link for those trays please?

MissMedijuana

MissMedijuana

Ok thanks for the advice and I hope I make the right decision when it comes to their next feed. For the experienced growers following this thread I'm sure they're all thinking "what the fuck is this guy up to" at times and having a laugh at my expense but they don't want to chime in with advice because they know in the long run it'll do me good to learn by my mistakes and work out the solutions to the problems on my own.

That's some good advice that I really appreciate Kung. Later today I'll fill another 5 gallon pot with the same medium and use your method so I can work out how much water I need to use each time. I do keep a record of what I do each day. Can you send me a link for those trays please?
Never hesitate to ask for growing stuff, even clone (free) by mail.

Experienced growers are very tolerant and understanding, they all did the same mistakes and if they laugh it is because it remind them their first experience. Honestly I believe you are doing good right now and you will progress very fast. It is a real pleasure to help you the best I can

Last edited by a moderator:
MissMedijuana

MissMedijuana

Never hesitate to ask for growing stuff, even clone (free) by mail.

Experienced growers are very tolerant and understanding, they all did the same mistakes and if they laugh it is because it remind them their first experience. Honestly I believe you are doing good right now and you will progress very fast. It is a real pleasure to help you the best I can
TO THE MODERATOR WHO EDIT THIS POST:
What is wrong with you Mississippi boy? you remove a link to a product and at the same time there is myriad of link similar all other the forum! No need to look far just few posts above there is one (see screen capture below) not to mention those members who post to their monetizable content on you tube?
If I did something wrong, a short PM for an explanation about my mistake could have been more appropriate, maybe it request more than a few neurons than for a click? Furthermore, I am still unsure what I did wrong! “EDUCATES” to avoid repeated mistakes never come to your mind?
To conclude lets me teach you some Thai, then make yourself useful, delete my profile and all my personal information from database.

Maxresdefault
Screenshot 2023 06 09 043309b

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Here's an update from day 33. Yesterday I made up another pot of the same medium and watered it until I had 10% runoff so I know exactly how much water to give my plants. Two days ago I chopped off the two big fan leaves on the Hindu Kush plants and pruned the lower parts of all three plants. I got a bit carried away and I think I took off too many leaves. The plants were already droopy and looked unhappy so I had an anxious night, during which I'd convinced myself I'd totally fucked my plants with my stupidity. To defoliate or not to defoliate? I appreciate that the leaves are the plants lungs so maybe you should never cut any leaves off, but I can also see how too many unnecessary leaves could drain the plants of energy. Pruning doesn't seem to have done any damage to my plants.

I fed them yesterday with a quarter dose of Fox Farm Grow Big and their response was great, they perked right up and look healthy again although the Northern Lights plant still has some yellowy leaves. I'm not experienced enough to know what is causing this so maybe somebody could give me some advice? The tops of the plants are getting 370 to 400 PPFD and the temp/RH levels are always around 76-78 Fahrenheit and 60%. I think they should be a bit bigger by I think the reason why they're not is because of the mistakes I made in the first few weeks of growth. Overall I'm quite happy though. Oh yeah now that I've stopped using RO water my PH pen has started giving me stable readings. It's tap water only for me from now on.

20230613 104729
20230613 104737
20230613 104814
20230613 104830
20230613 104844
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter
I didn't realise that RO water isn't suitable for PH pens. It's playing havoc with mine so I'm going to start using tap water instead. I think the RO water may have completely fucked my PH pen because it won't give me a stable reading for my tap water either, the reading keeps dropping until the pen switches off. Surely that's not right for an expensive Bluelab pen? If it does that how do I know what the PH is? I topped my plants a week ago. they've grown a bit but surely they should be bigger at this stage? Should I cut the big fan leaves off the plants?
Use distilled water for your ph pen

Top Bottom