Please help diagnose my leaf problem

• Thread starter Worldwomble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
So here's some good info on Spinosad. Net/net, I would feel very comfortable using it, but it's not perfect, it's relatively new, you can see some of the issues they've found with it......I would wear a mask while I spray it, and don't go crazy with it. I also wouldn't spray it too close towards harvest time, and if you use the leaves for anything, also be careful.

Net/net I do plan on getting some just in caee.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
That is not splitting hairs. It is fact verses fiction. it would be a great idea for you to go out and get a load of thrips and put them on your plant and let them just hang out and see how your plant finishes. It is one plant right?
I think maybe you're a bit grumpy......and your aporoach is a bit nasty. There are better ways to have a discussion.

I don't know what the "one plant" comment is about but I'll let you be... :)

Anthem

Anthem

I think maybe you're a bit grumpy......and your aporoach is a bit nasty. There are better ways to have a discussion.

I don't know what the "one plant" comment is about but I'll let you be... :)
I think maybe you are the type that likes to post up information to feel ones worth, rather right or wrong and when you get challenged on information you take another tactic as listed above.
wow astounding how youve only read the first sentence of research and made a basis for understanding
I think that depends on where you are doing your research. Yes it can be called a chemical but is OMRI Listed and you have to look further than the basic information.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Thank you, I'll definitely consider that.....

Anthem

Anthem

wow astounding how youve only read the first sentence of research and made a basis for understanding

by Dr. Michael Merchant, Urban Entomologist
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX

Still looking for an environmentally-friendly insecticide that won't harm beneficial insects, but still sticks it to pesky pests? You may need to look no further.
Spinosad (pronounced spin OH sid) is a relatively new insect killer that quickly and safely controls a variety of caterpillar, beetle and thrips pests. Spinosad is derived from the fermentation juices of a lowly soil bacterium called Saccharopolyspora spinosa. To chemists, spinosad is a complex molecule known as a "glycosylated macrolactone;" but to gardeners with a hankering for safer products, it may be a godsend.
Spinosad is not particularly new, having been granted organic status by the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) in 2003. However few home gardeners are aware of its potential uses.
Spinosad is especially effective on caterpillars and thrips. If you're a flower gardener, your ears should prick up on this one. Thrips and caterpillars are the two most important pest groups on annual and perennial flowers. Perhaps the best thing about spinosad-containing products is their safety for people and beneficial insects. Spinosad is safe for adult butterflies and many insect predators and parasites. It falls into the safest human health category as well.
Bacillus thuringiensis, known for years to savvy gardeners as "Bt", has been a standard weapon for the war against caterpillars. As an insecticide, Bt is a safe, selective product for caterpillars. However, Bt lacks staying power. Instead of Bt's one or two days' residual, spinosad keeps killing for up to four weeks. In addition, spinosad kills thrips, which Bt doesn't faze.
Last year a new wettable powder version of spinosad, EntrustR, was labeled for use on a wide variety of insect pests on organic crops, fruits, and vegetables. For commercial applicators working around home landscapes, spinosad is sold as a fire ant bait (Justice), and as a liquid spray for turf and ornamentals (ConserveR SC).
Because spinosad is a relatively new compound, it's not yet found its way onto many garden store shelves. Look for spinosad under the following trade names: Monterey Garden Insect SprayR, Ferti-lomeR Borer, Bagworm, Leafminer & Tent Caterpillar Spray, and Bulls-EyeTM Bioinsecticide. Ask in your local garden center, or search for these online. Because commercial names change daily, ask your nurseryman for additional products containing the active ingredient spinosad. Or look carefully on the 'ingredients' statements of new products for spinosad. Your garden will appreciate it, though the caterpillars may not.

A

AJY

right on. I agree. sure looks like pests but I cant find any. I'll keep looking. 15 power magnification should do it for thrips I think ?

Also... any way I can UL a higher res photo ? Mine are jog 72 dpi. max quality before I send them up,.

Thanks Anthem - about the Spinosad, i'm in Canada so hopefully I can get that chemical here. Dow makes great shit,.

thanks also...Habosabin & Moshmen for input.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I've seen this stuff recommended as well. OMRI certified. Can be used up to harvest.

Sold in canuckland: https://www.amazon.ca/Safers-31-603...ocphy=9001384&hvtargid=pla-826357263731&psc=1

A

AJY

ok. so I been reading the thread again this morning. Thanks u guys for all this help !

so,

no matter wtf I do ... I can't find any critters anywhere. I did not realize the thrifts like to hang on the topside of the leaves and in the veins so I just went crazy and checked again looking there instead with 15 power glasses and I still can't find anything. I know it could be nutrient/etc. but I've seen this condition on a previous crop and it definitely got worse and worse and took over the entire plant eventually. Exact same condition for sure. Sorry don't have any pics of the

period my plants are gelato grown from seed. I agree totally. I have grown the strain previously but this particular seed is incredibly dense. I pinched them once early on at the top, pulling completely the top bud. This created a nice crown. The plants are very slow to creep upwards and probably are the most dense plant I've ever grown. I'm going to throw them into flour soon because they don't want to stretch up much more. And I find when I grow my plants to big in pots I just waste the entire bottom two thirds of the plant. they are not autos they were feminized.

I have used neem oil in the past. the lost coast Therapy has been amazing for me. they SAY it deals with thrips well.. any soft-bodied critter. SO I am whacking it to them every 3 days to see how this goes.

Would LOVE to get some Conserve SC. MAN is it expensive. no surprise its prob. high quality as its Dow. They are my go to company for alot of high-end products like silicone.

I am looking for a place in Canada where I can but this stuff. I found one site :

Thanks alot once again... I'll post some update as I haver them to see how this condition goes.

A

AJY

You guys use goggles ? when spraying Spinosad ? Think I might bother ....with mask [ not an N95 or anything that good ] & long sleeves.

A

AJY

This is 100 percent thrips. get some Spinosad spray to kill them. Jacks dead bug has some but very low amount. Dow makes a product with about 24x the amount. Once and done.
looking at the Conserve SC instructions. Jesus. I want to use a sprayer ... any chance you tell me what ratio you mix the spinosad to water ? I will close at the instructions...but... thought I would ask. I think I se 2.5 ml per Gallon approx here.

Last edited:
steamroller

steamroller

I never masked up or anything for sprayer. Most have no clue how to properly use mask anyways.
I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer so I can get undersides thoroughly.
I shut my fans off and got to town?
I follow the spinosad directions and have no issues personally or grow wise. 🤷‍♂️

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Man, You guys are brave. I use a dual filter respirator whenever I apply ANY insecticide or fungicide. I also suit up in my canvas coveralls just so I don't get it on my street clothes.

I got yelled at a multitude of times from the plant manager for not wearing a respirator or coveralls when we did preventative maintenance spraying.

A

AJY

I never masked up or anything for sprayer. Most have no clue how to properly use mask anyways.
I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer so I can get undersides thoroughly.
I shut my fans off and got to town?
I follow the spinosad directions and have no issues personally or grow wise. 🤷‍♂️
ok then. I went ahead and did roughly the same. I masked up but not well. I just used a single surgical OR mask .... and then a tight new dust filter style mask over that. I am just in a tiny home garden. 1 single Fluence lamp. So I did turn off the fans and since I cant see shite I have glasses on. Long sleeve , cause ....why not... I looked carefully into what this stuff is and its pretty damn ok [way less harmful in aerosol form than most other stuff] when handled reasonably. In and out using a 1 Gal sprayer in 5 minutes. approx. 2.25 ml/Gal I diluted.

Now, If I was spraying regularly and using alot of product I would get a respirator type mask yes. but I'm not. BTW thanks for this response and info SR ... really looking forward to seeing what happens. whatever this is is very persistent and little tinny black dots start appearing on the top sides of the leaves as it progresses . The Lost Coast would slow it down but did does not seem able to end it. It comes back fierce I find.

Worldwomble

Worldwomble

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
I can’t apologise enough for not getting back to you all.. my notification emails were being sent to my spam folder so I assumed nobody had replied 😞

Top Bottom