Please help diagnose my leaf problem

• Thread starter Worldwomble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Worldwomble

Worldwomble

A

AJY

If it was spider mites everyone would see the webs by now. Fact.
Spinosad for the win.
Get a 1 gallon pump up sprayer for $20 so you can get under the leaves.
Damage says thrips like I said in post 2.
update #1.
1 week after spraying Spinosad. I drenched them inside /out top & bottom. super-dense girls they are.
Used 2.5 ml/Gal - close to instruct for home garden use Dow Conserve SC.

I was playing that game of leaf removal while the condition was worsening. the damage just kept appearing steadily and then getting worse looking no matter what I did. They were loosing the deeper greens etc. just ill. never did find a single critter but I guess we decided on thrips.

That first application with a 1 Gal sprayer seems to have stopped it in its tracks. I could tell pretty much 3-4 days after I applied it that something had changed leaf-wise. Now they seem to be regaining some of that nice colour and over-all vibrance. This is really really good. I am thinking 'maybe' one more application sometime before the buds start to appear. However ... maybe I jut leave them ... preventative measures are always good but over use not good either. hmm. Thanks again SR for this tip. barely had to pull off any leaf this morning for the first time in a month.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Actually steamroller if he used the dow conserve it is usually once and done. It has like 24 times the strength if Jacks Dead bug.
Even though it seems the application was a success do you think an additional application would be harmful?

A

AJY

I have read the label and it states like once a season or even longer. I have used it and it works for about 6 to 9 months with moms and such.
hmph. Think I'll keep a sharp eye on them and wait a bit. I purposely made sure I drenched them... which was a bit difficult as they are so dense. wanted to see how well one solid application would do.

I find my moms take a beating...sitting around forever ... they get hit hard after awhile.

I tend to think of the damage I was witnessing only Gelato as 'leaf' only in a sense ... not so much affecting the growth of the plant ... I think I was underestimating the actual net effect on them. the plants seem to be looking a lot better in general as well now , 1 week after spray. I wait and see but its very tempting to spray once more before into flower to far.... it can be quite difficult to actually get the spray all over every bit of surface area after 1 spray. So that would be my logic I think ... more to be sure I 'hit' all the spots or critters. I'm not not sure if they pick up the spinosad when they travel or if they have to more directly come into contact with it... need to read. [approx leaf temp 74F room temp 82-82F RH 55]

Last edited:
A

AJY

hmph. Think I'll keep a sharp eye on them and wait a bit. I purposely made sure I drenched them... which was a bit difficult as they are so dense. wanted to see how well one solid application would do.

I find my moms take a beating...sitting around forever ... they get hit hard after awhile.

I tend to think of the damage I was witnessing only Gelato as 'leaf' only in a sense ... not so much affecting the growth of the plant ... I think I was underestimating the actual net effect on them. the plants seem to be looking a lot better in general as well now , 1 week after spray. I wait and see but its very tempting to spray once more before into flower to far.... it can be quite difficult to actually get the spray all over every bit of surface area after 1 spray. So that would be my logic I think ... more to be sure I 'hit' all the spots or critters. I'm not not sure if they pick up the spinosad when they travel or if they have to more directly come into contact with it... need to read. [approx leaf temp 74F room temp 82-82F RH 55]
I would do one more time at least.
Treatments are not so easy or harmless in flower.
You want to be as close to 100% sure the pest is gone as possible.
SO, I sprayed a 2nd time. was funny. got long sleeves and rubber gloves, why not ... and then sprayed only to realize I forgot to mask up...lol.

Oh well. so. the plants continue to thrive after the use of spinosad. It's kind of amazing to me. I am pretty much blind when it comes to close up viewing...but I still can't get why I never found a single critter [ 4 & 10 power mag.]. But clearly now, after the drastic improvement - post spray - there had to be some bad action going on there for sure.

Mothman

Mothman

SO, I sprayed a 2nd time. was funny. got long sleeves and rubber gloves, why not ... and then sprayed only to realize I forgot to mask up...lol.

Oh well. so. the plants continue to thrive after the use of spinosad. It's kind of amazing to me. I am pretty much blind when it comes to close up viewing...but I still can't get why I never found a single critter [ 4 & 10 power mag.]. But clearly now, after the drastic improvement - post spray - there had to be some bad action going on there for sure.
Glad you found your answer with minimal bloodshed! 🥳

I had (and now have another) White Runtz—like your Gelato, those grow really thick and dense for me. So much that I have to pluck a lot of leaves to allow air movement and light inside. I would absolutely HATE to deal with a critter problem in those girls. Way too hard to properly inspect.

IIRC, thrips change from a pale green to a more visible tan over time. Sounds like you should be fine now.

Reactions: AJY
Top Bottom