Please identify . Found them on top of soil

• Thread starter Creativepatron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Flexnerb here you can see the difference. H-miles has 2 pointy thingys sticking out of its face parts and it has a rounded buttocks.. RA is a flathead with 2 spindles on its head and it has a pointy butt. lol

Hypoaspis Miles

Root Aphid
How to identify and treat root aphids in your cannabis grow

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Thats funny cuz some zip around these are fastervthan the others...ill try and get photos instead of video..ill hush til then sorry op for blowin your shit up yo
It's not mine, creativepatron is the OP, I'm just a tourist also.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
@Flexnerb here you can see the difference. H-miles has 2 pointy thingys sticking out of its face parts and it has a rounded buttocks.. RA is a flathead with 2 spindles on its head and it has a pointy butt. lol

Hypoaspis Miles
View attachment 1032231

Root Aphis
View attachment 1032230
Yup, obviously the top bug for sure. Now me, Now me, "frankster raises his hand" Which one's do I have dirtbag?? There even in different stages on the video, so that should make it easy, LOL

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yup, obviously the top bug for sure. Now me, Now me, "frankster raises his hand" Which one's do I have dirtbag?? There even in different stages on the video, so that should make it easy, LOL
Lol, can you post it again? I'm not sure which one you mean.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

H-miles is a soil mite that lives in the soil and eats things like fungus gnat larvae. If that pic is what you have, you have H-miles and it's a good thing.
That's what I took from those pictures, looks like a predator that was eating on something in the soil, so beneficical, if I'm not mistaken. But he indicated they were slow, so that is concerning.

Bug identification is indeed a complicated subject to

So im going to get other pics...there are ones with bent legs like the second pic u posted dirt...ill get them tomorrow lights are off..thanks...i feel like a douchebag...i got the old pics in my profile. They are kind of grainy

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I was using N. californicus and P. persimillis to control them, but they came back in one spot.

So this time around I've got: A.cucumeris, N. californicus, P. persimilis. and A. swirskii. on the way, and I knocked them down with a little mighty wash on the flowers, and some dr bonners peppermint castile soap and canola oil on the others.

Hopefully I can start breeding some of these little buggers, so I can keep harmony in the garden.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
here they are.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Again nothing saying you dont have both flexnerb, If you do the Hmiles will be eating them FWIW. But I wouldnt be so quick to assume root aphids without a positive ID. H-miles can really take over in the soil. And they can bend their legs too lol.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I'm thinking these are either russets or maybe 2 spotted.

Other mites prone to my area are McDaniel's, Yellow and brown spidermites.

Last edited:
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Heres a link to my orig post

Pics arent the greatest! I just flipped on my flashlight and everything i see which was like 5 looked like h miles...lmfao....anyone need any botanigard 22 wp...fire sale! Lol jk..never know might need it after all wheres the emoji with a gun pointed at its head...lmfao

It's my Friday, I ain't got shit to do 🤣

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Heres a link to my orig post

Pics arent the greatest! I just flipped on my flashlight and everything i see which was like 5 looked like h miles...lmfao....anyone need any botanigard 22 wp...fire sale! Lol jk..never know might need it after all wheres the emoji with a gun pointed at its head...lmfao

Yeah take a breath man lol, you dont have root aphids, and that's awesome. all I saw was H-miles in that link.

Slap

Slap

R. robini and R. echinopus are near impossible to get rid of. Since they have grown to be resistant to pesticide and miticide treatment. There arent many you can use. You can use natural treatments like sulfur but have to be careful with the plant. But Dicofol (Hilfol, Kelthane and Acarin.) genus Hypoaspis feed on all stages of bulb mites. Infestations like that. May need a predatory might for, forever control.

Edit: i dont think there is any currently labeled treatment for them.
Won't food grade D.E work.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Sorry btw, that sucks way more than H-miles ...
Yea, I"m on top of it, but it's something I've struggled with for years now, I think the predators are the best way forward in my situation, because I'm growing more in the open, and I plan on doing far more stuff outside, so I need to have good backup plans in development.

The only way to get rid of them entirely is too have a sterile environment, it's got to be a closed system, closed ventilation, everything.

Otherwise, I think fighting them with predators is far more effective than any treatments I've used over the years, and I have probably 6-8 different ways I hit them. If there real bad, the shower is the best option, I think.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Sorry btw, that sucks way more than H-miles ...
Yea, I've dealt with them for awhile now, the only way to get rid of them entirely is to have a closed system, ventilation everything.

I grow in the open, so it's impossible. I've got about 6-8 different formulas I use, and half dozen other methods. Predators are probably the best IMO, I plan on doing this outside, either in greenhouse, or direct sunlight so I need to have a plan that works regardless.

Here, if there bad, the shower is the best option. I've got one of those hoses, and I massage them off. I think the bugs are more compliant if there in a relaxed state of mind.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yea, I"m on top of it, but it's something I've struggled with for years now, I think the predators are the best way forward in my situation, because I'm growing more in the open, and I plan on doing far more stuff outside, so I need to have good backup plans in development.

The only way to get rid of them entirely is too have a sterile environment, it's got to be a closed system, closed ventilation, everything.

Otherwise, I think fighting them with predators is far more effective than any treatments I've used over the years, and I have probably 6-8 different ways I hit them. If there real bad, the shower is the best option, I think.

I went almost 6 years only seeing springtails and a gnat or two before this root aphid outbreak. And its my fault. I should not have trusted the soil. It was stored improperly by a bunch of new industry stoners that went out of business. I should know better than to save a buck. Lol.

But i think as long as i stick to the basic rules. No outside plants. No outside clothes or shoes or anything really. And clean everything going in and out and be mindful of vectors i should be ok.

until im not again and i will react.

Need quick positive identification and fast proper action. Get lazy and they win.

Top Bottom