Please identify . Found them on top of soil

• Thread starter Creativepatron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I went almost 6 years only seeing springtails and a gnat or two before this root aphid outbreak. And its my fault. I should not have trusted the soil. It was stored improperly by a bunch of new industry stoners that went out of business. I should know better than to save a buck. Lol.

But i think as long as i stick to the basic rules. No outside plants. No outside clothes or shoes or anything really. And clean everything going in and out and be mindful of vectors i should be ok.

until im not again and i will react.

Need quick positive identification and fast proper action. Get lazy and they win.

When we had the house years ago, we actually had a doorway for putting on clean suits, we were very strict, with good reason, because livelyhoods were riding on it.

Any type of big indoor project should have such precautions built in, it's just not feasible within my current constraints.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

When we had the house years ago, we actually had a doorway for putting on clean suits, we were very strict, with good reason, because livelyhoods were riding on it.

Any type of big indoor project should have such precautions built in, it's just not feasible within my current constraints.

See I get the out in the open easy grow for any living situation idea. I thought about having a forest of autos in my basement with vertical hung open mixed hid bulbs and no light proofing. I could even run it 24 hours in winter and not have to heat my old open basement.

But the pests will come. And i would have an entire open area to deal with. In my old cabin with open beams down there and plank floors above it could be an unwinable disaster.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

I buy a few thousand of these each year and release them into my veggie and canna garden areas. Still have to deal with mites constantly but daily leaf and soil inspections and insecticidal soap and DE (organics only) mostly keep them at bay and don't affect growth/yield. Would rather not have to deal with them but then I'd have to do this year round and no thanks. It's a lot freaking work lol and I appreciate the winter break.

Frankster dude I've seen pics of your output. Its solid. You got this.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I've got A.cucumeris, N. californicus, P. persimilis. and A. swirskii. on the way again, so all should be fine. LIke I said, I'm going to try and grow some more pollen and feed these little guys and keep them going strong.

The pollen should help them survive when mites aren't around. The camera's really help now, because I can see the stiffling really early, and get on top of it before it spreads to a bunch of plants.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
See I get the out in the open easy grow for any living situation idea. I thought about having a forest of autos in my basement with vertical hung open mixed hid bulbs and no light proofing. I could even run it 24 hours in winter and not have to heat my old open basement.

But the pests will come. And i would have an entire open area to deal with. In my old cabin with open beams down there and plank floors above it could be an unwinable disaster.

I think it may be doable with a few considerations. the walls could be covered in say plastic, same with the floor and celing, could even be sealed with tape. The key would be ventilation or de-humidification I think, make it difficult for them, but yes, anywhere, especially if it's been there for years and years and/or been exposed to humidity and rain, there's going to be all things present. I closed unit might be possible with proper ventilation, if plastic was used, I suspect.

Freek1

Freek1

Heres pics of the root aphids i have...100% identified i can see thevtell tale ridgesnon the back in a video. Unfortunately I can't upload it.

These are bulb mites man, this is what I am dealing with...they move so slow you have to stare at them to actually see movement. The defining feature is the little spikes/hair they have.
The picture you have looks like hypoasis miles.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

View attachment 1032334
These are bulb mites man, this is what I am dealing with...they move so slow you have to stare at them to actually see movement. The defining feature is the little spikes/hair they have.
The picture you have looks like hypoasis miles.

The video you posted wasnt the greatest quality. I quit watching it at 30 seconds or so...yes bulb mites have (usually have) two brown spots on their backs. Fuck me for the confusion...i've never seen either one before in person....

How do o you plan on attacking them?

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The video you posted wasnt the greatest quality. I quit watching it at 30 seconds or so...yes bulb mites have (usually have) two brown spots on their backs. Fuck me for the confusion...i've never seen either one before in person....

How do o you plan on attacking them?
This is the plan for me...

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Those are the dreaded root aphid?
Edit:
If not what bennie? I think you said you had or are getting some

Last edited:
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

On my tomatoes outside...not seeing anything in my growroom yet. Organocide and H miles might have eliminated them. I think i might have had a few parasitic wasps come in from outside..lol...

20200919 182020
This is the plan for me...

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I found parsatising wasps and pirate bugs too. More of them then adult winged aphids...bastards...

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
It's a mix of A.cucumeris, N. californicus, P. persimilis. and A. swirskii. But I think in the picture specifically is the P persimilis.

I released most of them, but put the bottles in the fridge, and look what I see today, releasing another batch, and probably another in a few more days, I think releasing them over time is helpful to get them established well.

Freek1

Freek1

Bulb mites WIN...
Malathion, Orange oil, Pyrethium and I still found a crawler.
Everything is going in the trash, heat cleaning , and bleaching EVERYTHING AND STARTING OVER.

Been battling these for over a year and I need to stop raising BULB MITES!!

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Bulb mites WIN...
Malathion, Orange oil, Pyrethium and I still found a crawler.
Everything is going in the trash, heat cleaning , and bleaching EVERYTHING AND STARTING OVER.

Been battling these for over a year and I need to stop raising BULB MITES!!
Damn. I deal with spider mites constantly because I'm half outdoor. Haven't had to deal with soil mites at all. I've been mixing DE into my soil for a long time and it seems to keep that type of stuff at bay. Hate to hear you have to tear it down.

Freek1

Freek1

Damn. I deal with spider mites constantly because I'm half outdoor. Haven't had to deal with soil mites at all. I've been mixing DE into my soil for a long time and it seems to keep that type of stuff at bay. Hate to hear you have to tear it down.
The are Bulb mites , picked them up years ago buying some off brand organic soil. I was misinformed they were root aphids and have killed lots of plants trying to treat them and what I have been harvesting is on the lower quality realm...
Can't keep doing this so cleaning every nook and cranny all equipment will be gone over or thrown out and will be starting new seeds at the end of the month.
I am just wasting time chasing them.

Freek1

Freek1

These things laughed at DE, Orange oil, neem, pyrethium, malathion.
Just ordered a steam cleaner that heats to 220 degrees...Heat is the only answer.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
These things laughed at DE, Orange oil, neem, pyrethium, malathion.
Just ordered a steam cleaner that heats to 220 degrees...Heat is the only answer.

Woah no bueno. Hope I never run into them.

Top Bottom