Plumber's First Coco Grow

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My October 25th planting is gone.
View attachment 907466
Only 1 in a Kratky basket was left with munched leaves. Mice or rats.

On my way to the garage for traps and will be replanting today which puts me 2 weeks behind schedule. Maybe I'll put those plants with only 4 tops back in, top them and flip in 2 weeks. Then I should have more seedlings.

Shit happens, kinda like the death of mice and rats. Payback is coming like a bitch in heat.
Dam bro sorry to hear that

Srenots

Srenots

My October 25th planting is gone.
View attachment 907466
Only 1 in a Kratky basket was left with munched leaves. Mice or rats.

On my way to the garage for traps and will be replanting today which puts me 2 weeks behind schedule. Maybe I'll put those plants with only 4 tops back in, top them and flip in 2 weeks. Then I should have more seedlings.

Shit happens, kinda like the death of mice and rats. Payback is coming like a bitch in heat.
bastards , hate em

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Let's try this again and add 5 Big Pipes.
20191105 092215

I have 3 of the Gophers coming up in coco and a few about to raise up in rockwool and I picked out the largest Gopher seeds I could find and planted 9.
20191105 085930

Then I brought in 4 of 2 month old plants to top and find this little goodie.
20191105 091844

Had one on a leaf stem too.
20191105 091910

Seriously wanting to reproduce. These pollen balls developed and opened within 4 days. Never have I seen this happen but it has been 40 years since I've manipulated the light cycle.

Amazing how plants can react so quickly to the environment they find themselves. Needless to say my boy finds himself outside and alone. Might allow to develop in the herb garden. Always good to have fresh pollen.

Topped the other 3 after close inspection.
20191105 092033

They've got 2 weeks to produce 8 tops and then back with their sisters.

Of course I closely checked the 4 others and found another.
20191105 094710

Put both in the herb garden.
20191105 094820

They may hermie or just produce pollen. We'll see.

Down to 3
20191105 094913

Which was the goal when I started, 3-5 each month flowering.

So even though the pests have struck again having planted 27 seeds saved me as I have 3 popping in coco and several in rockwood. Granted they are the slow ones so gonna have to keep and baby them.

The ones that really hurt losing were of course the Ground Pounders. All 5 had popped and were looking good. Frickin rodents.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

@Dirtbag
20191105 180747

Still got one.

I've been taking them out at night and during the day to dry hence why they were on the pan last night instead of their bottle. Happens. I see 'em run down to the patio at dusk through the dead weeds. Reallly my bad. I know better.

Got some Grand Daddy Purple seeds in the mail today so they join the party. No pics, ya know of wet peat pots with coco and perlite. Go figure but you know pics when they pop. By then I'll have armed guards and 24/7 video😜

I've been raped several times with spring seedlings. Seriously I've lost 100+ seedlings in a night or two. Mainly summer veggies. Slugs/snails mainly. Then the gophers who suck whole plants underground. No lie. 5 months ago they took a male. Got pics several hours apart. Plant fallen and plant frickin GONE! Maybe they have a grow program?

Last year gophers and ground squirrels bent me over. Must've been throwing parties. I wasn't invited.

This year it was another gopher and moth larva. I saw a group of 5 larva in a corner of the yard shooting dice and puffin splifts.

In my Kratky tomatoes I'm seeing more and more leaf boarers. Clipped off many leaves today. They've been in the pole beans in the ground which you can see in front of the swing set.
20191105 094913

Can't believe they haven't jumped to the cannabis. Had a few leaves infected a month or so ago in the little greenhouse. I expect it but I'm watching them closely for balls. Don't know the species, there's many, even some moths. Figures, no?

It's been a battle. I seem to have the gophers and ground squirrels at bay. BT has kept the moth larva from doing much damage and I've been spreading snail/slugs bait twice a month around plants/greenhouse AND ant bait in the little greenhouse. Was looking at the tomato clones and saw light green aphids on the white pan. I've got a nice population of preditor insects but will spray neem.

This is a HUGE learning curve for me. For the past 40 years it's been plant in spring and harvest in fall. Period, end of story and plant the winter garden of veggies. I lost a batch of weed many moons ago from the cold. Half doz seedlings. That ended my thoughts of growing outside here, until arriving at the Farm.

I've got plenty of seeds to keep trying and I'm smarter than any rodent. Okay, that's debatable but still, I got opposable thumbs so there's that!

I'm really having a blast. I've got smoke for months, plants here and there and more seeds planted. The only way it gets better is when I jar that virgin flower. I can wait!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Dirtbag
View attachment 907591
Still got one.

I've been taking them out at night and during the day to dry hence why they were on the pan last night instead of their bottle. Happens. I see 'em run down to the patio at dusk through the dead weeds. Reallly my bad. I know better.

Got some Grand Daddy Purple seeds in the mail today so they join the party. No pics, ya know of wet peat pots with coco and perlite. Go figure but you know pics when they pop. By then I'll have armed guards and 24/7 video😜

I've been raped several times with spring seedlings. Seriously I've lost 100+ seedlings in a night or two. Mainly summer veggies. Slugs/snails mainly. Then the gophers who suck whole plants underground. No lie. 5 months ago they took a male. Got pics several hours apart. Plant fallen and plant frickin GONE! Maybe they have a grow program?

Last year gophers and ground squirrels bent me over. Must've been throwing parties. I wasn't invited.

This year it was another gopher and moth larva. I saw a group of 5 larva in a corner of the yard shooting dice and puffin splifts.

In my Kratky tomatoes I'm seeing more and more leaf boarers. Clipped off many leaves today. They've been in the pole beans in the ground which you can see in front of the swing set.
View attachment 907599
Can't believe they haven't jumped to the cannabis. Had a few leaves infected a month or so ago in the little greenhouse. I expect it but I'm watching them closely for balls. Don't know the species, there's many, even some moths. Figures, no?

It's been a battle. I seem to have the gophers and ground squirrels at bay. BT has kept the moth larva from doing much damage and I've been spreading snail/slugs bait twice a month around plants/greenhouse AND ant bait in the little greenhouse. Was looking at the tomato clones and saw light green aphids on the white pan. I've got a nice population of preditor insects but will spray neem.

This is a HUGE learning curve for me. For the past 40 years it's been plant in spring and harvest in fall. Period, end of story and plant the winter garden of veggies. I lost a batch of weed many moons ago from the cold. Half doz seedlings. That ended my thoughts of growing outside here, until arriving at the Farm.

I've got plenty of seeds to keep trying and I'm smarter than any rodent. Okay, that's debatable but still, I got opposable thumbs so there's that!

I'm really having a blast. I've got smoke for months, plants here and there and more seeds planted. The only way it gets better is when I jar that virgin flower. I can wait!
Love the vase 👍 👍 👍 classic!

I can tell ya if i was a pest i would stay the fuck away from your yard. You may just have to pull out the guard spider on these buggers.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Looks like your rockin this coco stuff... How ya liking it compared to soil?
Soil no longer exists to me, until next month when I fill spots with horse and chicken manure. I HATE soil growing after experiencing coco/HYDRO! Soil sucks unless you've got the time. Amazing the difference. I plan on growing BIG Pipes in soil this summer but wanting to force feed 'em. I'll be good and let them do what they'll do. Got spots where they're protected from gophers and can grow as large as they'll grow. Gonna plant the rest of the seeds in April. Yeah yeah, soil sucks. Not sure why you wanna try. It sucks.

I've been planning on a SOG in a tomato stand. Thinking of filling with coco plants. Seriously hate soil grows at this point.

It's your fault and I'm blaming you.😍

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Soil no longer exists to me, until next month when I fill spots with horse and chicken manure. I HATE soil growing after experiencing coco/HYDRO! Soil sucks unless you've got the time. Amazing the difference. I plan on growing BIG Pipes in soil this summer but wanting to force feed 'em. I'll be good and let them do what they'll do. Got spots where they're protected from gophers and can grow as large as they'll grow. Gonna plant the rest of the seeds in April. Yeah yeah, soil sucks. Not sure why you wanna try. It sucks.

I've been planning on a SOG in a tomato stand. Thinking of filling with coco plants. Seriously hate soil grows at this point.

It's your fault and I'm blaming you.😍
Well gonna be running reg beans and I only have 4 site in my DWC... Are you suggesting I go coco instead 😜 I mean I could prob get some stupid growth doing a 60/40 promix/perlite. But I'm kinda Diggin the ease of soil. Just water every few days and feed once in a blue moon.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well gonna be running reg beans and I only have 4 site in my DWC... Are you suggesting I go coco instead 😜 I mean I could prob get some stupid growth doing a 60/40 promix/perlite. But I'm kinda Diggin the ease of soil. Just water every few days and feed once in a blue moon.
Oh scratch the promix on that I meant coco/perlite. More watering in 60/40 but I feel would be even faster growth

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

40 years of soil. Sucks. Memo. Take a note.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh, well there it is. I GOT A GUY! I got a watering can. Nice having a guy.😉
Sweet deal for him. I got all the equipment plants set him up. He pays the electric and water bill and I get half at harvest and teach him. Works for everyone 😁

That's is so ironic... Teach him and it's my first soil grow lol

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Hahaha. I may go back to hydro after I find a mom or 2. But need to sort the beans first would take me forever in a 4site hydro
Holy shit. Hydro blows away anything I could ever do in soil. Ever. I've grown stuff few have done. Not bragging just did some things right at that time.

I CAN NOT grow anything in soil like in hydro. Sorry, can't do it. Not even close. YOU, so you're fault, got me doing this stuff. Love it so much I can't even say THANK YOU enough. You rock man. I am blessed.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Holy shit. Hydro blows away anything I could ever do in soil. Ever. I've grown stuff few have done. Not bragging just did some things right at that time.

I CAN NOT grow anything in soil like in hydro. Sorry, can't do it. Not even close. YOU, so you're fault, got me doing this stuff. Love it so much I can't even say THANK YOU enough. You rock man. I am blessed.
Growth is pretty stupid compared to soil I noticed so far. I take no responsibility man all on you 👍

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Been a week. Delt with gophers and squirrels and moth larva and now this fall, mice/rats. The little shits are digging into the peat pots of coco looking for seeds.
20191107 164028

A batch of gopher seeds so not too ticked off but they're pushing buttons they really don't wanna push.
20191107 164038

The GDP's and Ground Pounders are covered in the seed heater.
20191107 164721

Getting cold at night. Beginning to wonder how far I can push the envelope. We'll see.

At least I'm not hauling horse manure up the hill. Oh, wait!
20191107 165339

The black stuff has been sitting in black plastic bags for 4 plus months. Collected raw. No smell. Anaerobic compost. The brown stuff is fresh in the past 2 weeks. Got 300+ lbs today and will get another tomorrow.
20191107 190618

I'll cover them with old glass shower doors as soon as they're full to overflowing. The rest will be added to my anti gopher spots.
20191107 163846

I'll dig em up to 2 feet and add raw chicken straw and fill with the horse manure. Spots are saved for Big Pipes this spring. Gonna make a few more for GDP's and another area for GK's magic. Getting crowded. Seems like a good problem to have.

Still looking for balls on the flipped plants. The 2 I removed them from and stuck in the herb garden look female to me
20191107 164907
20191107 165023

You tell me. Common for Chemdog to hermie when stressed and they've been put through the ringer. You know I'll keep any seeds but I'm looking for virgin bud this winter.
20191107 164851

Pushing the envelope until it implodes.

Happy Growing!

Top Bottom