Plumber's First Coco Grow

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

don't do that you would hate it here in TN..... I just got my tax bill for the 1st land that I got here (means the other 2 will be here soon) but it's unreal more like car reg out there in ca..... Gas here is View attachment 906263
I KNOW!!! We have our insurance and property tax included in our payment but we inherited my wife's moms house a few years ago and we have to shell out the tax bill every year which is ridiculous. $4+ a gal for gas, property tax that makes you wonder why you're giving money to an incompetent state government who's more concerned about PC bullshit then doing their fucking jobs. Yeah, a little city within a 20 mile distance from Murfreeboro on 40-50 acres would be perfect. Hunt and fish on my own land would be about as close to heaven as I can get here.

newh

newh

Cali has more stupid restrictions on more things than one can count. You can't use any minnows not caught in the body of water you're fishing and then most lakes won't allow you to use traps or nets for bait fish.

The big joke on the Colorado river is catching big strippers, on small trout. Illegal but that's how you get the biggin's.

I'll stay with top waters and plastics for bass early am and dusk, dough baits for trout all day and shrimp and mackerel for cats. It's been many years since I camped right on the water. I NEED THIS!

This is what I do for a living:
Before
View attachment 906244
After
View attachment 906245
Whoever did their remodel were idiots. The bath sink drain (left) was tilted up going into the cast iron tee. The divider was rotted out in the tee so when the drain clogged it couldn't be cleared, the snake would go from the tub to the sink and vice versa. Frickin mess. Spent 4 hours under there cutting out the cast and running the lines properly with 1/4" downslope per foot.
I used to catch strippers with cocaine and liquor

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I used to catch strippers with cocaine and liquor
Striper pole

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Days 67/37/6/5

Flip day
20191101 160348

Put all 8 day 67 plants on the swing set with the Kratky bottles. 3 are 8 tops and the rest 4. Didn't have the time or room to keep any in the greenhouse. I'll measure the stretch.

@Dirtbag
20191101 163752

2 in rockwool and aquarium gravel in a Kratky bottle. I'll transfer them to DWC buckets in a few weeks. Just filtered water for the next few days.

9 plants from last months planting and there's 6 new ones who need a home.
20191101 163830

Starting Bok Choi and planting more lettuce. We could start harvesting a little lettuce now.
20191101 160400

I'll wait another week.

We had a frost warning last night. I was in bed around 11 and found out so marched outside and brought all the Kratky tomatoes, peppers and basil in the house. Got up at 7 and it was 46F but no frost.

I have to get the big greenhouse in place and wrapped this weekend.

Chemgopher's are popping and the Ground Pounders should be next. No current pics other than the 6 little ones on the pan i peat pots and the 2 Kratky bottles. Looking forward to watching their roots grow. That's one of the most interesting things about using the Kratky method.

Happy Growing!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Days 67/37/6/5

Flip day
View attachment 906570
Put all 8 day 67 plants on the swing set with the Kratky bottles. 3 are 8 tops and the rest 4. Didn't have the time or room to keep any in the greenhouse. I'll measure the stretch.

@Dirtbag
View attachment 906571
2 in rockwool and aquarium gravel in a Kratky bottle. I'll transfer them to DWC buckets in a few weeks. Just filtered water for the next few days.

9 plants from last months planting and there's 6 new ones who need a home.
View attachment 906572
Starting Bok Choi and planting more lettuce. We could start harvesting a little lettuce now.
View attachment 906573
I'll wait another week.

We had a frost warning last night. I was in bed around 11 and found out so marched outside and brought all the Kratky tomatoes, peppers and basil in the house. Got up at 7 and it was 46F but no frost.

I have to get the big greenhouse in place and wrapped this weekend.

Chemgopher's are popping and the Ground Pounders should be next. No current pics other than the 6 little ones on the pan i peat pots and the 2 Kratky bottles. Looking forward to watching their roots grow. That's one of the most interesting things about using the Kratky method.

Happy Growing!
Kickin some ass there brother

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Kickin some ass there brother
That leaf issue cleared up. Just went back to hand watering. Thinking of trying the auto watering again but first flushing the plants with bottled water. I don't understand why recycling won't work. Works in hydro with inert media. Maybe if I just let it run continuously after flushing? Thoughts?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

It begins
20191103 082927

Ground Pounders. 3 of 5 so far.

Another round of the Gophers.
20191102 195612

This will be their last grow this year as I'll be adding a few new strains on my next planting, Nov 25. I'll be harvesting the Gophers Jan-March
20191103 083100

starting with these. They spent their 2nd night outside and looking good. Only 10hrs 50min of light per day. In another 6 weeks we'll only have 10 and it's been cold, at least for these parts dipping into the mid-upper 40's. This is only temporary, the big greenhouse is progressing.

Been a while since I've had room on my pan.
20191103 083001

I've got 11 that need to be potted by the end of the week so my pan will be full again for another month and still have a runt and another slow grower to pull.

Busted balls yesterday on the other greenhouse spot. Removed hundreds of pounds of rock.
20191102 173209

Cut into the rise about 3' but hit this buried rock pile at the end of the day and I was too tired to tackle it.
20191102 173156

I only need another foot or so. I'll soak this and grab a heavy bar to break it up. Otherwise I was pleased with the progress.
20191102 173135

Hard to tell but it's getting leveled off.

This area is on a 5' rise higher than the patio and it has a natural slope toward the house. In this area maybe 15-20%. Cutting 3' into the rise above this area has given me soil for leveling and allows me to place the greenhouse in a spot that will give me room for 3 bathtubs along the side. Soon. I'll be up there in a few minutes and plan to lay the chicken wire, plastic weed liner and get it in place. It's going to be a lot of work wrapping as I plan to silicone the edges where the panels meet. I don't want leaks.

I wish I had the time/man power to install geothermo heating/cooling. For a house this size, 8x16' two 4-6" diameter perforated irrigation pipes, 15' long buried 2 plus feet with risers above ground on each end. An exhaust fan on each will blow cooler air in summer and warmer in winter. Maybe next summer when it's too hot to grow anything in it.

Time to get to work. A few tokes of Blue Dream and and I'm off.

Happy Growing!

basscaptain

basscaptain

Let me know how that goes I have some comin. I think ima put the hydro away on this one and do soil in my little room
So GK has your Address??? Send him a pm with it ....>>>> If you want your x-mass Gift .......... Have to Finish this other order and them pay him but that will happen today/tomorrow

Mine are going Old School on the Beans Then going to 50%HF/ 50% OF Soil

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Leveled
20191104 073633
although I still have to cut out those pipes and reroute one for the greenhouse but otherwise it's as level as I can make it.

The black plastic weed barrier is cut as well as the chicken wire. I'm going to grow potatoes in a large round chicken wire/weed cloth diy pots this winter. Rolled the 2 for the greenhouse (they're 17' long) into 8' & 10' diameter rounds.
20191103 172216

8' looks plenty big. Plan on growimg reds, whites and yellows. Russets are cheap.

Pretty lite day unless the phone starts ringing so hopefully I'll have some time to get that greenhouse in place.

The Kratky plants are boomimg.
20191104 073757

And the tomatoes
20191104 073804

None of the peppers are doing well and the green beans are hit and miss. Got a couple growing like weeds and a couple having trouble keeping leaves. Weird. I was hoping to give a friend a couple pepper plants for Christmas to go alone with the home made hot sauce I make him. Maybe he'll get a basil instead. Oh well.

These just make me smile.
20191104 073916

I added SuperThrive to their water and have been using it on all seeds/seedlings. The stuff works well. Looking forward to using it for cloning. I have several tomato clones in it that I'll be moving into DWC buckets.

Another Ground Pounder seed is popping.
20191104 073902

4 of 5. I'm good with that. I'll give the last one another day or two.

Gotta get going and hopefully be home in a few hours.

Happy Growing!

H2OJ28

H2OJ28

Day 6

Transplanting begins at sunset.

I'll be mixing 30% perlite with the coir and 50% with the dust. With 20 seedlings I can try a couple different mixes and see which one works best.
View attachment 892184
View attachment 892185

I also purchased a bag of peat moss to run in the aquarium to lower water hardness.
View attachment 892186
The aquarium has a build in filter in the lower back with a submersible pump.
View attachment 892197
I'll fill nylon bags with the peat and run it 24/7.

The battery in my TDS meter fell out when I was testing the soak solution at night while toasted. Horrible timing. Ordered batteries, should be here by tomorrow night, I hope. Rinsed the coco half a dozen times to be sure I got the calmag solution out.

I understand the cation exchange sites in coco need to be changed or buffered with calmag to avoid deficiencies during the grow. Learn something new everyday.

The seedlings are doing well and ready for their new homes.
View attachment 892208
View attachment 892209
I'll do a few in soil, give 2 to our youngest and have about a dozen in coco.

Will update tonight after transplant.

I'm a plumber too man. Texas, master. This looks great! Good stuff there 👍

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

In place.
20191104 161822

And shelves in. A lot of weight with those metal wire shelves.

All 5 of the Ground Pounders are up.
20191104 175759

and another in rockwool for another Kratky bottle.

Gonna put a couple in DWC buckets but have enough to experiment with Kratky.

Hopefully I'll get it wrapped soon.
20191104 161833

Isn't it always Hammer Time somewhere?

And then a movie before bed.
20191104 181404

Sweet dreams!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

My October 25th planting is gone.
20191105 071156

Only 1 in a Kratky basket was left with munched leaves. Mice or rats.

On my way to the garage for traps and will be replanting today which puts me 2 weeks behind schedule. Maybe I'll put those plants with only 4 tops back in, top them and flip in 2 weeks. Then I should have more seedlings.

Shit happens, kinda like the death of mice and rats. Payback is coming like a bitch in heat.

Top Bottom