Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

It's about 55 in air and 65 to68 in mix I was going to use it once it hit 60 ish and I watéred once and mixed once in a week or so

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't recall, have you tried incorporating cover crops at all?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Is that legumes inbetween perennial crops to help nitrogen or is cover for camoflouge outdoor?

Patanjali

Patanjali

Smells like good soil ill take a pic of it next time cuz I mixed that fungus in with the rest so it's earth magic protein crumbles TTP compost and Earh worm castingix in recycled soil from TLO tea grow....stored in 20gal. Trash can in closet without lid and watered similar to yours damp not soaked with sprayer and I would say there is 20 to 30 % perlite 10 to 15% vermiculite 50 %coco and the rest peat moss
I really don't think that kind of mold after one day is correct, but as long as it smells like good earth. I also sterilize all my containers after use. You don't want to start breeding any anaerobic bacteria. If it smells like ammonia, pond water, etc then don't use it. After the soil stops really cooking I like to put a lid on it so it doesn't get completely dried out.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Cool ill take pic to be sure you have something to work with other than earthy smell

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Ok maybe two or three days but I'm getting it in other containers with plants that appear healthy??? They are white fuzz in bunches of round areas but not all together like the dense whitest part of each circle is the middle ill have pic tonight or tomorrow it started with this super soil cuz I never witness this before until Iixed amendment and wait... In the past I would brew and filter so that's the only difference that comes to mind and this earth magic sometimes comes with white fuzzy top owner and soil scientist Mike Melendez says that it's an active bunch and started breaking down stuff in container...I need to go back to school and learn to scope and identify the bennies from opponents.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is that legumes inbetween perennial crops to help nitrogen or is cover for camoflouge outdoor?
It is said that legumes can fix atmospheric nitrogen, but I believe (can't recall exactly right now) that certain deficient conditions are required for them to do that. I find, with my limited experience, that simply having something growing over the ground confers a benefit. I've played around, and like growing them all because it looks like a small garden, and I can munch on it. I'm going to start including lettuces in my cover crops, and then I'll be able to harvest those micro-greens.

So, babysitters/propagators of soil biology, facilitators and maintenance workers, if you will--that's how I consider my cover crops. I work toward what is called a 'guild' in the permaculture world, and so use as many various plants as I can. My list includes at least two, if not three different types of mustard, fenugreek, cumin, amaranth, clover, California black-eye peas... umm... what else...? I never put any markers, just grabbed stuff and threw it out there. One day I went through the pantry with my granddaughter, even the popcorn sprouted, but I didn't use it as a cover crop. I feel that corn and squash are more demanding of N than cannabis.

Try different stuff, that's what I say, see what happens. Just don't let it get too big or out of hand, and try to return to the soil as much as you can, because that's a form of the nutrients you put in, ya dig? Otherwise, re-amend as you feel is necessary (usually organic matter and some minerals).

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Music to my ears and that's my goal eat what I can and compost the rest I even made a huge leap and composted full sativas that almost made it through all October but ended up compost by mid November in my search for freeze tolerant strands I'm going to grow some expensive compost material ;^} hope that doesn't offend anyone ill give some of it away but not going to let anyone bank off it pawning it off as medicine.... Any whoo soft rock phosphate is a great amendment for used soil it helps the old unused nitrogen not turn into ammonia so I've heard

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I used sativa dominant strands that weren't worth growing inside and didn't expect them to survive and do so well but they liked lik they needed another month but ill be crossing those when I find it with locally acclamated plants for a future greenhouse project ...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

So back on topic I will have pics of this fuzzy stuff growing in my mix soon by tomorrow hopefully

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

In a large 20 gal planter mix:
1 bag of cheap soil (1.5 cubic feet)
1/2 cu ft perlite
1/2 cu ft of worm castings
1/2 cup blood meal
2 1/2 cups bone meal
Pour this stuff on top and mix in the top quarter portion of soil mix:
1/2 cup dolomite lime
1/4 cup kelp
1/4 cup epsom salt

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Oyster shell is mostly calcium carbonate. Diatomaceous earth is mostly silica. Not the same, only come from the ocean at one time, that's it.

Fuzzy white stuff is likely fungus, aka mold, and isn't that what you're trying to culture?
If I conclude that the fuzzy white stuff is beneficial should I leave mix alone or mix once or twice a week like usual? Thank for the reminder of cover crops

S

slap14

If I conclude that the fuzzy white stuff is beneficial should I leave mix alone or mix once or twice a week like usual? Thank for the reminder of cover crops

Take a look at this thread by Lead and see if this is what your soil is doing.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/leads-grow-diary.46541/page-2

I alway get a thin layer of fungus on my soil when i mix a fresh batch and it has been watered. If this is what you have that's real good news as it shows the soil is alive.

Good luck Cave

Slap

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

Thanks man

I am using the rainbow mix grow because thats what I have thats all

Here are a few on my recipe
round_1_0132.JPG

Seems to work great

i like your speaker, what kinda music do you play for your girls?

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

Thanks guys!!!! I will be head down to the farm supply tomorrow probably to start gathering amendments.

trying adding rock dust, azomite 99 different rock minerals, great place for soil food web community to hide as well. Rock dust doesn’t burn your plants. I use it on my hydro soilless buckets as a natural pest prevent method i mix it in all my organic soil.

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

I really don't think that kind of mold after one day is correct, but as long as it smells like good earth. I also sterilize all my containers after use. You don't want to start breeding any anaerobic bacteria. If it smells like ammonia, pond water, etc then don't use it. After the soil stops really cooking I like to put a lid on it so it doesn't get completely dried out.

I use anaerobic bacteria on my plants everyday, their are two types of nitrogen Nitrate, Ammonia, cannabis prefers the nitrate over ammonia.

Most facultatively anaerobic bacteria produce nitrate reductase, an enzyme which adds electrons to or removes oxygen atoms from nitrate. Use of this enzyme allows facultative anaerobes to use nitrate instead of oxygen as the final electron acceptor in cellular respiration.
http://dpuadweb.depauw.edu/$1~cfornari/f97gr4/nitrate.htm

IMGP1146

Patanjali

Patanjali

I use anaerobic bacteria on my plants everyday, their are two types of nitrogen Nitrate, Ammonia, cannabis prefers the nitrate over ammonia.

Most facultatively anaerobic bacteria produce nitrate reductase, an enzyme which adds electrons to or removes oxygen atoms from nitrate. Use of this enzyme allows facultative anaerobes to use nitrate instead of oxygen as the final electron acceptor in cellular respiration.
http://dpuadweb.depauw.edu/$1~cfornari/f97gr4/nitrate.htm

View attachment 296946
Thanks 55! I'm just a long time amateur/hobbiest, this is a little over my head. Are you correcting my use of anaerobic bacteria, disagreeing with my answer, both? Just trying to learn! Always thought if the soil didn't smell good it was breeding the wrong bacteria.

I would also be very interested in what amounts you use rock dust!

Thank you!

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

Thanks 55! I'm just a long time amateur/hobbiest, this is a little over my head. Are you correcting my use of anaerobic bacteria, disagreeing with my answer, both? Just trying to learn! Always thought if the soil didn't smell good it was breeding the wrong bacteria.

I would also be very interested in what amounts you use rock dust!

Thank you!
no no no, not tell you what to do, just telling you what i do, reason; no space to make compost pile, no one selling compost teas locally on this side of the world, yeah when i doubt follow your nose! my anaerobic smells like apple cider!
IMGP1148

i’m pretty sure 99% of the farmers here don’t use anaerobic bacteria but i did find this posted: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...acts-and-making-your-own-nutrient-line.18772/

As far as the rock dust goes it doesn’t burn, about a pound per bucket is what i put in. This guy Jon is why i decided to use rock dust
http://www.youtube.com/user/growingyourgreens

PM me i’ll send you a book.

Top Bottom