Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

The caps packs look awesome but they seem really expensive. I'm sure a little goes a long ways but I can see going through the 4oz container quickly with new soil and a few compost teas. So far, going organic has seemed relatively inexpensive but this could be a bigger ongoing expense :-/

And I didn't see Black Gold at HD or Lowes, but Ace had the BG garden compost and I think seed starter mix too.
That's cool. If you can't source compost any other way. Buy a bag. A little does go a long way. I take a handful of EWC a handful of compost put in a panty hose. Then half a table spoon could be less of caps packs into the water depending on what stage I'm in (nute pack, root pack) and brew 5 gallon 24 hours sometimes 72 but rarely. Just that can double your yield and blow out your trichs.

Last edited:
Underthesun

Underthesun

That's cool. If you can't source compost any other way. Buy a bag. A little does go a long way. I take a handful of EWC a handful of compost put in a panty hose. Then half a table spoon could be less of caps packs into the water depending on what stage I'm in (nute pack, root pack) and brew 5 gallon 24 hours sometimes 72 but rarely. Just that can double your yield and blow out your trichs.

Is there info I can find somewhere that shows using these nute/root packs to be more beneficial than just using molasses for AACT teas? Do the root/nute packs assume you have sub-par compost or not enough nutrients in the soil? I'd assume if you have good compost you wouldn't root packs for extra benies. I'm with you on not spending the cash, unless I'm convinved its worth it.

Kalikush

Kalikush

Is the root pack just mycorrhizae? They sell a 4oz container for less than $9 delivered with Amazon prime.

Newenglander

Newenglander

This will answer all your questions

Is there info I can find somewhere that shows using these nute/root packs to be more beneficial than just using molasses for AACT teas? Do the root/nute packs assume you have sub-par compost or not enough nutrients in the soil? I'd assume if you have good compost you wouldn't root packs for extra benies. I'm with you on not spending the cash, unless I'm convinved its worth it.

Is the root pack just mycorrhizae? They sell a 4oz container for less than $9 delivered with Amazon prime.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Glancing at a few forums it looks like a lot of reputable growers like them, and I guess that's a good convincing. Thanks for the link. The purchase list can add up quick, trying to avoid buying things I don't need.

Underthesun

Underthesun

@Tnelz -- I avoid dolomite lime for that reason, my soils are very, very tight and heavy and very poor in Ca levels. Adding Mg makes the tightness worse. I use gypsum to loosen it up without affecting pH. It also gives S.

Generally Ca loosens while Mg binds. How quickly the crushed oyster shell works is like DL--very much a function of the acidity of the soil or water column it's exposed to. At a pH of about 4-4.5 oyster shell fizzles, which means it's reacting. My experiments using DL in a water column of a pH of about 6 is that it will bring it up to about 8 or so within 1-2hrs.

Mixed up my soil, using granular gypsum and oyster shell flour as the ph buffers. I'm probably going to mix up my soil a few more times to make sure its mixed well, but anyways it was mixed well a few days ago and has been sitting. I tested the ph today at 5.5. I would like to get it up to 6.3-6.7 by June when I'll be planting in this mix.

Question is, how long does the gypsum and oyster shell take to buffer? Add more gypsum/oyster shell now while I'm mixing my soil or wait it out and see if it buffers in the next month or so?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gypsum does not affect or shift pH. That's why I love it. And the S. IME with the carbonate molecule-containing products how quickly really depends on how acidic the original environment is. If it's 5 or below the effect is pretty quick, depending on how much water you're adding to the mix. I would think a month is plenty of time.

Kalikush

Kalikush

I think I've worked out a soil mix for my first run at 100%* organic, guess it depends on the question at the bottom but here's what I got so far:

1/3 (1/2 promix & 1/2 coco) + 1/3 organic rice hulls + 1/3 (1/2 Roots organic earth worm castings + 1/2 Malibu compost if I can find it and if not I'll use local nursery organic compost)

For each cubic foot of the above, I'll have these amendments: 1/2c organic neem seed meal, 1/2c organic kelp meal, 1/2c organic insect frass, 4c mineral dust ( 1/2 glacial rock dust, 1/6 organic oyster shell, 1/6 organic basalt, 1/6 of green sand) I also have some organic arctic humus to add, but not sure how much.

I'm going to inoculate all my seedling roots with Mycogrow Soluble from fungi.com.

I had a couple of questions about this mix, am I adding the correct amount of insect frass, arctic humus and green sand? Is glacial rock dust organic? I got this from BuildASoil but it doesn't mention being organic. Other suggestions to my mix are also welcome!

Oh ya, I have some gypsum too but not sure how much to add

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
<jaw drops> I wonder how many cubic feet are in that 50lbs. I've been buying it as animal bedding, in bulk, for about a quarter of that price for either 6'cu or 8'cu. Not organic though.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Some very spiffy blends there folks! Nice.

My first grow I used nothing but Happy Frog soil in 5 gallon buckets, a few doses of General Organics Bloom in the flower stage and GO Ca/mg. Nothing more. Great Soil and natural sun, baby....and good genetic beans.

For next year I'll get fancy with Root Organics soil as a base and some other goodies (worm castings and other organic (clean) nutes)
Very nice dude

Kalikush

Kalikush

<jaw drops> I wonder how many cubic feet are in that 50lbs. I've been buying it as animal bedding, in bulk, for about a quarter of that price for either 6'cu or 8'cu. Not organic though.

I know, it's packed like a brick and will probably explode when I cut the bale open.
It's funny, I tried feed stores too and most had no idea what I was talking about but I figure $30 for what reads to be one of the best soil aerators, it's not a bad investment. I've got big plans for a veggie garden too so I'll mix it into everything.

stickywet

stickywet

Hey all. Been a long, long time (15 years now I guess) since I've done organics, and even when I did, I was just starting out growing and a total newb... didn't even realize I was really doing organic, and eventually made the shift to synthetics for a long time.

I'm going back to organics now and I just wanted to get some input if anyone has some time.

I don't have time to cook my soil so I got some Vermifire. I wasn't going to add anything to it other than more perlite and some Dolomite but now I'm thinking I should make a full soil mix and just not cook it, wouldn't be as hot (though the Vermifire is already "hot") but I'll be adding a lot of bene's to the mix anyway and feeding with AACT and testing out a a nutrient tea, PSB Guano, Bat Guano, and EWC, ,etc, on a couple as well, in conjunction with the AACT.

I will be top dressing with the same guano's and other materials as needed.

Should I just go ahead and throw together a soil mixture on top of the Vermifire?

Homesteader

Homesteader

17 gallons botanicare coir (1 block)
5 gallons EWC
5 gallons peat
5 gallons rice hulls
4 cups gypsum
3 cups menefee humates
3 cups crab meal
3 cups kelp meal
1 cup rice hull char
1 cup soybean meal
1 cup bone char
1 ½ cups dolomitic lime
1 lb zeolites

Mix 1 gallon of water with
½ cup liquid Kelp extract,
½ cup hydrolyzed fish,
3 tbs Roots Organic Oregonism XL myco +,
½ cup Microlife Humic acid complex 15% (Fulvic acid 10%-humic acid 5%),
2 tbs molasses
3 tbs Teraganix EM-1 Microbial inoculant

Mix together with a paddle mixer and a drill then seal for at least a month.

Last edited:
north knect

north knect

Very well said. I too use gypsum for the same reason. Awesome stuff that gets over looked a lot. As always ur a fountain of information. Respect.
What type of store would I find gypsum,azomite and rock dust? I kno it's not at my hydro store

Homesteader

Homesteader

Fedco organic growers supply is a good source if you can't find something local. Best source around for apple cultivars too.

Last edited:
north knect

north knect

Fedco organic growers supply is a good source if you can't find something local. Best source around for apple cultivars too.
Would I have luck at plant nurseries or feed stores? Is there other uses for these that I could find at other stores?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Buildasoil.com,I know they have alot of stuff and they have a store in colorado and california or will ship.

Top Bottom