Power box, Flip Boxes (electrical)

• Thread starter ogwon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

ogwon

Does any body have any experience with these power boxes?

I am thinking about running 2 of these (two 18 light rooms). Ive read good things on them, i.e.: no power spikes, and makes the ballasts last longer. Not to mention the money i would save on ballasts, buying 18 instead of 36 ballasts.

Any comments welcome. Thanks in advance!!

BuildandGrow

BuildandGrow

Does any body have any experience with these power boxes?

I am thinking about running 2 of these (two 18 light rooms). Ive read good things on them, i.e.: no power spikes, and makes the ballasts last longer. Not to mention the money i would save on ballasts, buying 18 instead of 36 ballasts.

Any comments welcome. Thanks in advance!!

These seem to be great products. Have used the powerbox lighting controllers and the smaller flipboxs without any troubles. Be sure to shop around.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I dig mine its an 8 ballast setup.
I think the next flip flop controller I get will be made by olyver
he's here on the farm, check out his website
www.nowirenuts.ca

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I'm running the LSM8 and have nothing but praise for it so far. I'm about to upgrade to the LSM 16 and will probably buy a DPC8000 as well. Sometimes I wish I was just running one big flower room though....there's a bit more work to managing a staggered flip. I do enjoy the monthly harvests though.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I've never been a big fan of flip boxes, for a couple of reasons; first, you give up a lot of flexibility in setting things up or changing them. Second, I can get a good quality magnetic ballast for less than a flipbox, and even adding the controller doesn't really change the economics much. You don't need to upgrade your house power or wiring, since a flip style schedule has all the benefits of using a flipbox without the drawbacks.

I run a more complex multistage operation, with some parts on a flip style schedule. I have four bloom zones, run on a strict 16 day stagger. Plants see an increase in darkness of 15 minutes a week, starting with 12 hours. By the end of the cycle, they see 10 1/2 hours. This has to be done manually, and it would be much more complicated if I was trying to do it with a flipbox.

P

paulycali

I have the LSM-12 and it works great

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the powerbox flip-box?

BuildandGrow

BuildandGrow

Well said tty. I agree with everything except the magnetic ballast part. It seems a lot less of a benefit to run magnetic ballasts instead of getting a flip for your digital ballasts (if that is the plan). May cost more, but you get more.

Hear me out. I have always run magnetic ballasts, always. A few months ago I got my hands on a lumen reader and started running tests on everything. I discovered that digital ballasts are 30-40% brighter out of the box than magnetic (only variables where the ballasts)! I also discovered that magnetic ballast dim significantly over time, there was a HUGE fluctuation of lumen on all of the used magnetic ballasts. Some where half, or even less, of what new ones of the same brand where putting out. This was pretty shocking, just figured I would share.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Well said tty. I agree with everything except the magnetic ballast part. It seems a lot less of a benefit to run magnetic ballasts instead of getting a flip for your digital ballasts (if that is the plan). May cost more, but you get more.

Hear me out. I have always run magnetic ballasts, always. A few months ago I got my hands on a lumen reader and started running tests on everything. I discovered that digital ballasts are 30-40% brighter out of the box than magnetic (only variables where the ballasts)! I also discovered that magnetic ballast dim significantly over time, there was a HUGE fluctuation of lumen on all of the used magnetic ballasts. Some where half, or even less, of what new ones of the same brand where putting out. This was pretty shocking, just figured I would share.

I appreciate this info, it explains a lot for me.

I plan to upgrade before long, so this is timely information.

V

vino

I run 2 powerboxes 7500 240v and have no problems whatsoever in 2. and I run a LSM -12 and also no problems whatso ever. I have had power surges, power outages, time change issues all no problem at all.

splakdawg

splakdawg

I've never been a big fan of flip boxes, for a couple of reasons; first, you give up a lot of flexibility in setting things up or changing them. Second, I can get a good quality magnetic ballast for less than a flipbox, and even adding the controller doesn't really change the economics much. You don't need to upgrade your house power or wiring, since a flip style schedule has all the benefits of using a flipbox without the drawbacks.

I run a more complex multistage operation, with some parts on a flip style schedule. I have four bloom zones, run on a strict 16 day stagger. Plants see an increase in darkness of 15 minutes a week, starting with 12 hours. By the end of the cycle, they see 10 1/2 hours. This has to be done manually, and it would be much more complicated if I was trying to do it with a flipbox.
Hey tty why do u decrease ur hours of light?

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I have a buddy that uses the power box and he swears by it and I'm going to be investing in the power box DPC 7500 combo. I've been doing some research and it seems legit.

Olyver

Olyver

Ogwon, if your location will be inspected, the electrical inspectors in Canada that I have worked with will not accept powerboxes. The layoutof the components inside the enclosure is non-compliant with CEC and NEC. Get an electrician to build your panel or timerboard or flip upto Code.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I build panels that reduce the time the ballasts are in especially last week or two. Just select a switch and the daily time cycles are changed/reduced each day til the end. A PLC takes care of that.

Your comments come at an opportune moment in my ongoing buildout. I'm contemplating a second box to safely power my project, and of course control is an important aspect of power delivery.

Ogfresh

Ogfresh

What are the benefits of using a power box?
I read somewhere it's supposedly disguise your 12/12 time.
Just wondering

Latest posts

Top Bottom