Prebuilt Cob Kit Suggestions/question.

• Thread starter Faxanadu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Faxanadu

Hello everyone. I'm currently in need of a replacement light ASAP and I've been thinking about switching to LED's from my current setup consisting of a 1000w HPS. I have a 7'x5'x7'H area I want to cover and heat has been an issue every summer. I'm just now learning about COB setups so my knowledge is very limited and I would prefer to buy a pre built kit. I almost spent bought a panel off of Amazon until I started reading these forums. It seems that might not be the best route. Currently I'm looking at Timber Grow lights. Anyone have any suggestions? I need something for the bloom cycle. Currently I'm looking at http://timbergrowlights.com/redwood-vs/ however it says it's only 600w. Does that mean it's comparable to a 600w HPS?

F

Faxanadu

I was able to figure out most of my questions via browsing. Thanks for the forum :)

F

Faxanadu

I'm looking at these HLG 550's. They are 20% off at the moment. However my buddy just pointed out these BESTVA LEDS .

My concern with the BESTVA is that this is the first red/purple COB LED I have seen and I'm also worried about quality in general. I'm trying to figure out which of these two would be best.

Freshone

Freshone

I'm looking at these HLG 550's. They are 20% off at the moment. However my buddy just pointed out these BESTVA LEDS .

My concern with the BESTVA is that this is the first red/purple COB LED I have seen and I'm also worried about quality in general. I'm trying to figure out which of these two would be best.
I just got a couple of hlg 550s for 775.00 each off growershouse make an offer,Build quality looks excellent,havent used them yet though.One thing Id add is you can buy the kits for the hlg600(little more power)for cheaper than you can buy the 550.Im going to buy a few cob bars to place between the 550s soon and then ill give the LED a whirl.

sixstring

sixstring

Hello everyone. I'm currently in need of a replacement light ASAP and I've been thinking about switching to LED's from my current setup consisting of a 1000w HPS. I have a 7'x5'x7'H area I want to cover and heat has been an issue every summer. I'm just now learning about COB setups so my knowledge is very limited and I would prefer to buy a pre built kit. I almost spent bought a panel off of Amazon until I started reading these forums. It seems that might not be the best route. Currently I'm looking at Timber Grow lights. Anyone have any suggestions? I need something for the bloom cycle. Currently I'm looking at http://timbergrowlights.com/redwood-vs/ however it says it's only 600w. Does that mean it's comparable to a 600w HPS?

Unlike most cheap led sellers , timber,hlg,and plc are giving actual wattage from the wall so true watts just like hid. 2 of the hlg 550 will be good for a 4 x 8 area.so would 2 of those redwood fixtures from timber.

Last edited:
F

Faxanadu

So overpriced....
I agree these LED panels should not cost this much at all. Supply and demand sadly. Granted it's cheaper to buy 4 QB288's and then buy a frame and driver and build it all yourself but at the end of the day a couple hundred dollars is worth it to me for a full finished unit.

I just got a couple of hlg 550s for 775.00 each off growershouse make an offer,Build quality looks excellent,havent used them yet though.One thing Id add is you can buy the kits for the hlg600(little more power)for cheaper than you can buy the 550.Im going to buy a few cob bars to place between the 550s soon and then ill give the LED a whirl.

I haven't had time to look yet. I'm assuming the hlg600 is made with QB304s? I was thinking about buying 3 UV lights to hang in between and on the sides. However I am just now reading up on UV supposedly increases resin production so it could be bullshit for all I know. I almost want to buy two phantoms(1000w) and hold off on LED for now. but then I gotta deal with more heat. My room can handle one but two would be pushing it. I can hook up my central air but then it get's very cold when the light is off. It's a tough decision. I have some thinking to do.

MW7945

MW7945

Unlike most cheap led sellers , timber,hlg,and place are giving actual wattage from the wall so true watts just like hid. 2 of the hlg 550 will be good for a 4 x 8 area.so would 2 of those redwood fixtures from timber.

That's where my vote would go if you're buying a fixture. Two of the redwoods.

MW7945

MW7945

I was under the impression the 550 would spread better? In regard to these two models it's all about preference?

It may cover better corner to corner but COBs penetrate better imo. I know sixstrings will disagree and say they can both penetrate well, but it's up to you ultimately.

I'm running both COBs and SMD's now so yeah.

How asap are we talking for needing lighting?

F

Faxanadu

I was luckily able to get a backup 1000hps late last night but since I've done all this reading it's got me thinking if I should switch. Especially since I want to add another light.

**Looking at the stats the redwood is more powerful it seems.

sixstring

sixstring

Growmau5 was explaining light penetration the other day and used this analysis.more source points equals more light angles which equals more light getting farther into the canopy.so 6 cobs equaling 600w won't necessarily go deeper into the plants than 600 x 1 watt diodes.if it was just about more power from a single point the 1000w hps lamp would always win.this is why quantum boards work so well,you have lots of low power diodes covering a wider area and you can get them much closer to the plants,so intensity can actually be higher with a QB than it would with hps or even high power cobs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom