Preventative Maintenance Routines

• Thread starter Animal Chin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KennyPowers

KennyPowers

Great post KP

Got a couple questions

1. Are you growing in the basement that you spray down or are you growing in the house but just spray down the basement as precaution?

2. Do you have animals because I do but I would also like to spray outside like you but I'm worried about my dogs n cat.

Thx for the great post!

hey DK,

I grow in the basement so I keep it as clean as possible down there. Sometimes I have some stuff way upstairs when Im quarantining or the veg room is full and I have treated all baseboards, windows, etc up there with Ortho before too.

I spray everything in the front of the house, but I have a dog as well. I dont use fertilizer on the back lawn or spray the cracks and stuff back there, but I spray the entire house down. I only treat the outside 2x a year and every time Ive done that Ive had the dog stay somewhere else for a few days. I usually try to make all this stuff happen at once, because I leave too when I bomb the entire basement.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
hey DK,

I grow in the basement so I keep it as clean as possible down there. Sometimes I have some stuff way upstairs when Im quarantining or the veg room is full and I have treated all baseboards, windows, etc up there with Ortho before too.

I spray everything in the front of the house, but I have a dog as well. I dont use fertilizer on the back lawn or spray the cracks and stuff back there, but I spray the entire house down. I only treat the outside 2x a year and every time Ive done that Ive had the dog stay somewhere else for a few days. I usually try to make all this stuff happen at once, because I leave too when I bomb the entire basement.

Can you please restate that in your Kenny Powers persona?

outwest

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

shit big waayne, nothing wrong with being the piano player at the whore house.i'd take that gig.

all this bleach, eagle 20, forbid shit just freaks me out. i shut my garden down and have been down there and i have it has a good feel. i would totally freak if someone came down there with a bottle of bleach or other shit like that. my room is clean but not lab clean.

. u, soulie, delae, all talk about doing this stuff, but man i ain't signing on too it. i respect you guys and have seen your product.
anyway my skins still crawling thinking about that stuff in my grow:eek:
maybe i'd think different if i had suffered through a bad problem.
peace mogrow
I 100% feel what ur sayin.. But exactly how u feel about the evil poisons that's how I feel about bugs.. I juss think of them & want 2 spray my plants with sumthin powerful.. I know it's not good but I don't fully trust the coco gettin 2 me from point A to point B without catching a hitch hiker.. I treat my coco b4 transplant juss 2 b safe.. Avid is only used when I add a new baby.. Bayer tree & shrub is safe 4 my strawberries that my kids eat so I said fuck it I ain't afraid of it.. All these poisons will b applied in very early veg stage. I veg every clone 2 full months & flower for 63 days so I figured its safe.. The Merit 75 is on my shelf 4 emergency 911 times.. Frass is said 2 b juss bug shit & azamax I thought was juss a neam product.. Mighty wash is only fancy water & caps bennies r all good... I know it's not the best but I need 2 protect my plants from these bugs that r everywhere.. I'm from the Central Valley of Cali & we got bugs out here plus I got bud city's all around me & there cuts come 2 my town by the boat load.. San Fran, Oakland, Sac, San Jo, L.A. Cuts make there way over here with there pests plus r native bugs = major danger 2 me.. So I got 2 do what I got 2 do 2 protect me & mine.. If my crop fails who knows what we'd b smoking.. I know what's in my weed & I try my hardest 2 keep it as safe as possible & I'm happy with my results.. Plus my buds never hit a med club there only 4 personal use.. A few lucky friends get 2 try some if they dare.. & they always do..

waayne

waayne

I hear you on the skin crawling part Mogrow:eek:
I suspect that you do not bring in clones from outside sources..which is wise in many ways...they are usually the vector for new pests and diseases
I really hope you can stay away from these really bad pest /diseases that are running rampant in some states, like PM and broad mites.........
If you're always growing from seed and you don't take in clones from outside sources,you should never have many problems,especially in personal use size gardens

I hate to use chems of any kind but I'm a realist and IME keeping a large garden
running for years and years on end always requires periodic shut downs to clean up and sanitize everything,including some of the moms if they've been infected with PM or pests
I love to put moms outside in the Summer sun as it seems to clean up a lot of disease problems like PM,nothing like the sun.......and fresh outdoor air:)
But indoors in our weird artificial environment I find that to clean up moms infected with pests or PM that Eagle 20,Malathion,AVID,BannerMax,etc do play a role and can be used responsibly
If the user educates themselves on the proper usage and disposal of these chems.......and more importantly you don't overuse or rely on these chems as that starts a whole new slew of problems with tolerance ....

I find I can run a totally organic veg and flower room if I occasionally shut down and do a major cleaning/sanitizing of the rooms........

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
shit big waayne, nothing wrong with being the piano player at the whore house.i'd take that gig.

all this bleach, eagle 20, forbid shit just freaks me out. i shut my garden down and have been down there and i have it has a good feel. i would totally freak if someone came down there with a bottle of bleach or other shit like that. my room is clean but not lab clean.

. u, soulie, delae, all talk about doing this stuff, but man i ain't signing on too it. i respect you guys and have seen your product.
anyway my skins still crawling thinking about that stuff in my grow:eek:
maybe i'd think different if i had suffered through a bad problem.
peace mogrow
Time will tell...and your always welcome to join the team. We will always have a spot for you;)

I will say I'm surprised your opposed to disinfecting a room with bleach.

I wish you continued success. Thanks for your input.

squiggly

squiggly

I tend to just anally clean everything (myself and clothes included) before entering the grow, and clean everything I touch while I'm in there.

I wear gloves to handle plants.

I ascribe to the mentality which says that you apply controls when pests are present, and not before.

I look at pests the same way as a doctor looks at bacteria. Their adaptive systems are essentially the same (especially with the smaller bugs like mites).

If you take penicillin once a week, you will eventually spawn a penicillin-resistant strain of bacteria.

If you're going to do applications of a particular product--the best way to prevent resistance building is to absolutely inundate your room with that product on the first application. Like go nuclear with the shit.

This is the same as taking a full-round of antibiotics.

The biology is a bit different here, so obviously switching products is good too--but its important that both products effect the particular pest you are targeting. If say one skills spider mites, and the other doesn't--you might just end up with some resistant spider mites using the OP's methodology.

For this reason I tend to just be very anal about hygiene in and around the room--and to respond to pest problems with nuclear power when they rear their heads.

I also run cap's bennies constantly and top dress with DE to avoid problems in the soil.

I had fungus gnats recently and I just left a dish with a very thin layer of cap's foliar tea on it. They all came up for a gulp and I found a multitude of dead fungus gnats on/near the dish. Haven't seen a flier since (took about 2 days for them to clear out, i re-filled the dish once).

squiggly

squiggly

The dish trick also worked with spinosad during a previous gnat infestion, its worth noting.

When applying spinosad, i tend to just spray a light film on everything (pots, wires, walls, you name it) and to leave a bit of a puddle in the trays.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Man them springtails r strong most of the times 1.5 TBS. per gal (strong death mix) will do the trick.. But 1 time it didn't work they were still there I panicked & mixed even stronger & still nuthin.. I super freaked out but plants were healthy ass fuck with thick white roots.. But them baby springtails (b4 they jump) had me in a panic.. I figured the only bug that never dies is a root aphid so I got some merit 75 I watered with the merit & them basterds were still there.. The poisen killed lots of them but I could still see 1 or 2 every now & then.. That's when I called Cap & got some of his packs..the whole time my plants looked 100% great.. But b4 I made my 1st batch of tea the Lil bugs grew up & started hopping.. LOL!! I had a panic attack 4 nuthin.. If u don't got 10 million billion of them springtails then ur good.. They say there good in low numbers & I'm thinking its true b'cuz my plants never looked sad.. But at that time I was reading the super long thread on the other site & that shit brainwashed me in2 thinking I had them..LOL! Every time I read about bugs I convince myself I got them 2 even if my plants look good.. Now this new BM I'm fuckin starting 2 panic again..

I should only read about good things b'cuz it's better 4 me health.. LOL!!

So after my long ass story I'd say it only kills springtails sometimes.. Damn my long ass post didn't help any but it took me 2 long 2 write it so I'm posting it..
Two things...

1. Don't panic over hearing about broad mites but rather thank the herb gods for the new gained knowledge:)

2. You must type like me lol it takes me forever to "hunt n peck" them keys. ;)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I am getting worried about these tiny Broad and russet mites too....shit.:(

when you get broad mites, its game over?

I dont think Ive seen springtails...unless they are what I call leaf hoppers o_O

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I am getting worried about these tiny Broad and russet mites too....shit.:(

when you get broad mites, its game over?

I dont think Ive seen springtails...unless they are what I call leaf hoppers o_O

It depends how bad you gottem. Obs tried to fight them and lost if that tells you anything. He said he went straight nuclear on them multiple times and nothing worked. He said he had to kill everything, then go nuclear again multiple ways in cleaning then start fresh from seed. I got a PM from him this morning saying he feels my pain but I did the right thing.

I'm not saying these guys are gods but Waayne and Obs have been at this shit for over 30 years so when they speak I listen...plain n simple. Fuck my pride and ego it just gets in the way :)

Mogrow

Mogrow

Guys & Gals,, let me elaborate on why i would not have dangerous pesticides in my grow room.
Now this might change if I ever get a serious outbreak of something.

1) I am afraid of them , kinda of a fear of the unknown thing going on here, afraid i would not use them right and hurt things.
2) I have an eco system in my basement , it's a living breathing system. I have spiders, cricketts, what I call spider criketts, down there. I am convinced they protect my plants from unwanted pests, I have seen all of the above mentioned critters in and on my plants,, and they are on there for a reason, they are eating shit. I have a real affection for these little guys in my room and it hurts me when I hurt them, like stepping on them or I've killed them when they drink to much ACT tea.
3) I do not want to smoke any chemicals that I put on my plants, God knows I get enough of that shit from the food I eat and the air I breathe.

PS, i do have mighty wash but have not used it, but it's just electro charged water , right??? dude drinks it for crying out loud..

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Guys & Gals,, let me elaborate on why i would not have dangerous pesticides in my grow room.
Now this might change if I ever get a serious outbreak of something.

1) I am afraid of them , kinda of a fear of the unknown thing going on here, afraid i would not use them right and hurt things.
2) I have an eco system in my basement , it's a living breathing system. I have spiders, cricketts, what I call spider criketts, down there. I am convinced they protect my plants from unwanted pests, I have seen all of the above mentioned critters in and on my plants,, and they are on there for a reason, they are eating shit. I have a real affection for these little guys in my room and it hurts me when I hurt them, like stepping on them or I've killed them when they drink to much ACT tea.
3) I do not want to smoke any chemicals that I put on my plants, God knows I get enough of that shit from the food I eat and the air I breathe.

PS, i do have mighty wash but have not used it, but it's just electro charged water , right??? dude drinks it for crying out loud..

I respect every word of that homie...and I shit you not when I find spiders or moths or some shit in my house i carry them outside to safety. If i see snails on side walks I move then to safety so I can relate...unfortunately I can also relate to losing thousands of dollars and months of my time, energy and health to bugs.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Great thread dan k, by you suffering a loss you have in turn taught others how to safely prevent outbreaks in the least indentify them. I myself have taken alot from this thread in the past couple days. Your next run will be even better and safer. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
Mw

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Great thread dan k, by you suffering a loss you have in turn taught others how to safely prevent outbreaks in the least indentify them. I myself have taken alot from this thread in the past couple days. Your next run will be even better and safer. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
Mw

This thread is my silver lining.....its the first signs of the sun peeking through a black cloud after months of storms:D

K

kushtrees

U know what's great for prevention, paint. I had a russets for less than 1 grow. Had to use forbid and avid on my moms, but the most helpful thing I think was Bleaching everything in my house and rooms and then painting the rooms white again... Twice...

I do not know a single bug that will survive a washing with bleach and 2 coats of paint.

Top Bottom