Purple Urkle in Coco / 640w Mammoth 8 bar

• Thread starter Pondracer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pondracer

Pondracer

Hey bro. Imo you need to flush that media and reset.

How many gal pots are they and what Brandon of cal mag?

Plants nice and big little bit to much light. Are you on 18/6?

What form of ph down are you using?
  • 7 Gallon pots
  • General Hydroponics CaliMagic
  • Running 24. I can't seal that area light tight. I have never had one turn into the poinsettia of doom like this. The change from a 600 watt HPS to the LED is wild. The leaf size is ginormous. My utility bill would be much happier with 18/6.
  • General Hydroponics PHDown
  • Ordered some FloraKleen and I should be able to flush tomorrow.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

• 7 Gallon pots
  • Running 24. I can't seal that area light tight. I have never had one turn into the poinsettia of doom like this. The change from a 600 watt HPS to the LED is wild. The leaf size is ginormous. My utility bill would be much happier with 18/6.
Yeah I would put 21 gal of temp and ph adjusted water with call mag because it To through it catching the last bit of run off and test ppm and pH. Then 7 gal of light feed about 500-600 ppm.

Raise the light just a bit

How are you mixing your nutrients exactly? Using RO water your going to need to add some alkalinity.

JASONBROTHER

JASONBROTHER

• 7 Gallon pots
U utility bill would be much happier with 16/8 in Veg.
LOL
(Western coast grower in United state re popular with 16/8 in Veg.

JASONBROTHER

JASONBROTHER

• 7 Gallon pots
Yeah.24 hours light on belongs to “old fashion“or “old school ”
it's not bad idea to choose 24-hour light on .
The premise is that you should keep the temperature around 22-24 ℃. This is the most happy temperature for the root system to stretch.
The temperature in the air will infect the soil or Coco and directly act on the root system. I remembered that there is one man who used to said that“ People tend to focus on the leaves or sterms of plants. In fact, more attention should be paid to the root“, if you choose 24 hours of light on , you need to turn off the lights at least once a week for 6 hours. The reason is very simple. The roots also need to rest. This is the most favorite root temperature of soil. However, it is undeniable that Some people adopted 24-hour light on is really better than 18-6, the flowers were really huge with the output was really high, and even in this forum, some people choose 24-hour lighting,but I forgot their ID.btw aqua man always has good ideas to help u solve the issues .

Pondracer

Pondracer

Yeah.24 hours light on belongs to “old fashion“or “old school ”
it's not bad idea to choose 24-hour light on .
The premise is that you should keep the temperature around 22-24 ℃.

Well.... I haven't grown since like 2008, so your description is pretty much accurate 😁 I've only done soil but hydro is something thats always been on my mind.

If there are light leaks during veg on a 18/6 cycle will it cause problems? That area is a steady 22C no matter what. I appreciate all the input. I was on another site and rarely got any feedback.

PH of the base RO water was 6.08 with PPM of 5. I checked it today and I do every once in a while to keep an eye on the RO media. I want to put in a nice DI unit but building out the water storage doesn't make sense until I understand what I will need if I choose to continue this growing method.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well.... I haven't grown since like 2008, so your description is pretty much accurate 😁 I've only done soil but hydro is something thats always been on my mind.

If there are light leaks during veg on a 18/6 cycle will it cause problems? That area is a steady 22C no matter what. I appreciate all the input. I was on another site and rarely got any feedback.

PH of the base RO water was 6.08 with PPM of 5. I checked it today and I do every once in a while to keep an eye on the RO media. I want to put in a nice DI unit but building out the water storage doesn't make sense until I understand what I will need if I choose to continue this growing method.
The ph of RO is not reliable and should not be checked.

Anthem

Anthem

Yup no alkalinity so easily influenced it may aswell not have a ph.
Yes Aqua Man you are correct. I recently was reviewing some lab grade H20 and it was down to zero parts per million. You can drink it but not advised. H20 actually finds minerals to bind to was my understanding. That is part of the reason water tastes different in different areas

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes Aqua Man you are correct. I recently was reviewing some lab grade H20 and it was down to zero parts per million. You can drink it but not advised. H20 actually finds minerals to bind to was my understanding. That is part of the reason water tastes different in different areas
Yup

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

The pH level in RO water is usually around 6.0 which is not recommended to drink as the water is acidic in the sense the pH is less than 7. Drinking water pH is around 7.5 or standard is 6.5 to 7.5. This standard water pH range is slightly acidic and alkaline but not harmful as the body is on the alkaline side.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Why is RO Water Acidic?

The pH of RO (Reverse Osmosis) water may be a cause for concern, however. Water is supposed to have a pH value of 7, which is neutral. But, why is it that RO water has pH between 5 and 6? Is it not dangerous?

Well, to answer these questions let us try to understand what causes the pH of water to change. It is important to keep in mind that if a solution has more H+ ions, it is said to be acidic and if it has more OH- ions, it is basic.

A water molecule (H2O), as you know, is composed of two parts Hydrogen and one part Oxygen. The self-ionization of water leads to dissociation of small percentage of water molecules into hydrogen ions (H+) and Hydroxide ions (OH-). When the water is devoid of any impurities, the equal number of hydrogen and hydroxide ions cancel out each other’s influence and the water remains neutral.

When water is passed through a semi permeable membrane using pressure, many organic and inorganic compounds fail to pass through, however gases like Carbon Dioxide make it to the other side. CO2 combines with the free OH- ions in water to form acidic HCO3, while the H+ ions fail to find any substance to interact with as most of the impurities have been removed through the RO process.

CO2 + H2O <--> H+ + HCO3-
As a result, water has a positive balance of H+ ion, lowering its pH and making it acidic. (Again, remember, pH is measure of H+ with a minus.)

The greater the amount of CO2 in your water, the greater is the drop in pH level. However, there is no reason to be alarmed, as the acidity of RO water is weak. A couple of specks of baking soda are enough to neutralize glassful of RO water.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why is RO Water Acidic?

The pH of RO (Reverse Osmosis) water may be a cause for concern, however. Water is supposed to have a pH value of 7, which is neutral. But, why is it that RO water has pH between 5 and 6? Is it not dangerous?

Well, to answer these questions let us try to understand what causes the pH of water to change. It is important to keep in mind that if a solution has more H+ ions, it is said to be acidic and if it has more OH- ions, it is basic.

A water molecule (H2O), as you know, is composed of two parts Hydrogen and one part Oxygen. The self-ionization of water leads to dissociation of small percentage of water molecules into hydrogen ions (H+) and Hydroxide ions (OH-). When the water is devoid of any impurities, the equal number of hydrogen and hydroxide ions cancel out each other’s influence and the water remains neutral.

When water is passed through a semi permeable membrane using pressure, many organic and inorganic compounds fail to pass through, however gases like Carbon Dioxide make it to the other side. CO2 combines with the free OH- ions in water to form acidic HCO3, while the H+ ions fail to find any substance to interact with as most of the impurities have been removed through the RO process.

As a result, water has a positive balance of H+ ion, lowering its pH and making it acidic. (Again, remember, pH is measure of H+ with a minus.)

The greater the amount of CO2 in your water, the greater is the drop in pH level. However, there is no reason to be alarmed, as the acidity of RO water is weak. A couple of specks of baking soda are enough to neutralize glassful of RO water.
Yes there is no such thing as pure water. It will always be affected by the atmospheric level of co2. It will literally change ph being moved from outside to a typical basement with around 1000ppm+ of CO2.

Drinking water is ph'ed to prevent acidic water from dissolving coatings and metals such as lead and iron from pipes.

The reason it should not be used as drinking water is not the ph but the lack of mineral salts which creates a couple of issues. One it looks to pull mineral salts from anything of higher salinity literally leeching minerals. Like I was saying the ph of RO is a moot factor it has no real alkalinity or acidity other than carbonic acid which is even in our drinking water and other liquids, highly concentrated in soda. The tiniest addition of any acid or base will highly influence it.

Our stomach acid is far more acidic.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why is RO Water Acidic?

Yes and its this baking soda that creates alkalinity. 👍 And then ph can be looked at

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
I'm interested in what the genetics are my friend. Purple Urkle doesn't exist in seed form, it's a clone-only strain. Could be an S1 you've got, or it's a cross of some sort.

I've grown the clone several times and she is quite the hungry bitch. Grows like molasses but eats like crazy.

Cheers!

Pondracer

Pondracer

Great responses. I was trying to understand this in the earlier thread on water PH but it is much clearer now.

Pondracer

Pondracer

I'm interested in what the genetics are my friend. Purple Urkle doesn't exist in seed form, it's a clone-only strain. Could be an S1 you've got, or it's a cross of some sort.

I've grown the clone several times and she is quite the hungry bitch. Grows like molasses but eats like crazy.

Cheers!

JASONBROTHER

JASONBROTHER

Great responses. I was trying to understand this in the earlier thread on water PH but it is much clearer now.
If your pH of RO is kept at 6.0 in most of the time, and the cost is relatively low, useing RO water is best choice.
If your pH is not stable, after you prepare the water, first add potassium silicate(full dose based on the manual of ur nutrient solution, i take 5 ml of slicia per gallon of emerald harvest in RO or TAP),then add calmag(RO 3-5ML, TAP 1-4ML per gallon,I personally recommend 4ml of calmag in tap water through all stages,cause the Coco really needs magnesium much than we thought),then nutrient solution,

Last step, adjust the pH through phosphoric acid. This is aqua man's method, which I had experimented in last week

Pondracer

Pondracer

Yeah I would put 21 gal of temp and ph adjusted water with call mag because it To through it catching the last bit of run off and test ppm and pH. Then 7 gal of light feed about 500-600 ppm.

Raise the light just a bit

How are you mixing your nutrients exactly? Using RO water your going to need to add some alkalinity.

Crap I just reread this and realized I totally missed the quantity you suggested. Wow.... 21 gallons? My mistake. Here is what I did.
  1. I lowered the plant as far as I can, it gives about 20 inches/50 cm to the light
  2. I mix in the order I listed with a one hour wait between the ArmorSI (first ingredient) and the CaliMagic (second ingredient).
  3. I flushed with 4 liters of 5ml CalMagic only at 5.9 PH and followed that with an identical flush 12 hours later same quantity
  4. 12 hours after that I fed with 4 liters of 350 PPM solution at 5.82 PH and pulled the runoff
  5. Runoff was measured at 1150 PPM and 5.54 PH. Total runoff was around 40%.
Between work and prepping the area for the flower tent I am crazy busy. Just found out it and the lights will not arrive until first of next week. I need to get something in the flower tent that makes collecting runoff easier. Very quickly I will need carbon filter in place. Thinking of running two, one inside the tent as recirc and another inside but venting outside the tent.

Top Bottom