Purple Urkle in Coco / 640w Mammoth 8 bar

• Thread starter Pondracer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pondracer

Pondracer

New drain tray coming along with fittings and I need it. Lifting and draining this plant is a real pain.

1. I mixed a gallon of General Hydroponics FloraKleen and ran it through, waited 12 hours and resumed normal schedule
  2. I mixed 4 gallons of 450ish PPM at 5.8 PH and did four feedings over 48 hours
  3. I mixed 2 gallons of 578 PPM at 5.98 PH and began using that last night. Measurement below.

Event1 (4 liters / 1 gallon)
In: 578 PPM 5.98 PH
Out: 80% (3+ liters 448 PPM / 6.04 PH

A lot of runoff, I am tempted to go back to 2 liters per fertigation to save on having to drain the pan as well as less mixing. I still get about 50% or greater runoff.

Pondracer

Pondracer

Having a problem getting my lights from Mammoth. There was a 2-3 week lead time when I ordered on 6/16 and I inquired what was happening last week. Got a tracking number from FedEx but it only shows the label printed, and the shipper is in China. Not getting a response by phone or email.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

New drain tray coming along with fittings and I need it. Lifting and draining this plant is a real pain.

1. I mixed a gallon of General Hydroponics FloraKleen and ran it through, waited 12 hours and resumed normal schedule
  2. I mixed 4 gallons of 450ish PPM at 5.8 PH and did four feedings over 48 hours
  3. I mixed 2 gallons of 578 PPM at 5.98 PH and began using that last night. Measurement below.

Event1 (4 liters / 1 gallon)
In: 578 PPM 5.98 PH
Out: 80% (3+ liters 448 PPM / 6.04 PH

A lot of runoff, I am tempted to go back to 2 liters per fertigation to save on having to drain the pan as well as less mixing. I still get about 50% or greater runoff.
Yeah only need 10-20% 5gal pots? 1 litre and should get 100-200ml if your getting 80% runoff it's not bad for the plants but it's sure wasteful

Pondracer

Pondracer

Yeah only need 10-20% 5gal pots? 1 litre and should get 100-200ml if your getting 80% runoff it's not bad for the plants but it's sure wasteful

I have to really dig into how to do this correctly. It is not surprising my results have been mixed so far as I really don't have much knowledge. I am glad I went with the tent now as long as I can get the zippers to last a year or two. The main reason is that I want to setup and try some things before I build a more permanent structure. For example I have everything going minus the lights in the tent and hooked up the TrolMaster. I get it running and suddenly I have this VPD measurement. Never seen this before, so I do some reading and am just floored with the information. I need to get several full cycles with this new system so that I can plan better. I will say it has to be automated more. I am not very good at maintaining a consistent schedule and in fact I think that may be the major factor in why I have had problems. Automation is going to be a trick for both the feed and sump/waste side assuming I stay with coco.

guymandude

guymandude

Having a problem getting my lights from Mammoth. There was a 2-3 week lead time when I ordered on 6/16 and I inquired what was happening last week. Got a tracking number from FedEx but it only shows the label printed, and the shipper is in China. Not getting a response by phone or email.

well that's not good. I thoughgt these lights were American made.......

Pondracer

Pondracer

well that's not good. I thoughgt these lights were American made.......

Nah... I would be absolutely shocked if anything like this was American made. Hell we can't even manufacture disinfecting wipes. The people I spoke with at Mammoth back when I placed the order gave me confidence and the quality of the first light I bought from them was very good. But this is a first run of a new product, along with the delay has made me nervous. Got an update today that it was at the receiving station in China and so we will see. On another note I've had maybe 4 shipments of PPE from China since March. First 2 orders came through fine. This last one took literally 2 months, and thats after the factory handed it to the shipper. That experience has me a little gun shy on excessive wait times.

Pondracer

Pondracer

Dialing things in now. I did a foliar spray with epsom salts last night at lights out. I am using the Trolmaster to maintain humidity and temps and it takes a bit to get it sorted out but once its dialed in its very nice. I had to change things around a few times so my cable management needs to be redone. Day 3 of 12/12. I will get some pics up later today. I wasn't happy with the manifold that takes the exhaust out so I am redoing a section of that. Smell isn't an issue yet but I need to get it fixed before that becomes a problem.

I keep it steady at 83F and 60% humidity during the day with leaf temps at 81.5. The Mammoth Folds are at 80% and the UV remains unused until I get 3-4 more weeks in. Humidity has been the more difficult problem to deal with but there are things that can be done yet to help with that. I am very tempted to bring in outside air. Cutting through to the exterior wall isn't a big deal and if I do it right in a couple of years it would be used again for a split AC.

Pondracer

Pondracer

Moving into day 5 of Flower. I have foliar sprayed two times now and will cease doing this after 8/7. I have not checked runoff since switching to the new setup. My feedings are around ~600ppm and 5.9ph. I feed once at lights on and once 15-30 minutes before lights out. In order to achieve a runoff of 1-1.75 liters and having to feed 6 liters. This was not the case for the first 3 days of flower. It is a lot. The burn on the leaves looks bad in these photos but you should have seen it when I pulled it out of my veg room. Really awful. I had to neglect the plants for 9ish days and only feed once a day with no chance to measure anything. As soon as I got it in the new flower area I heavily trimmed the plant and did another flush. Waited 2 days and then flipped.

PurpleUrkle 124Days Side
PurpleUrkle 124Days Top
PurpleUrkle 124Days Top2
PurpleUrkle 124Days Top3

Pondracer

Pondracer

Day 5 of flower on my Psycho plant in soil. I have never had a plant in veg this long in soil. While in the veg room it was really suffering from nitrogen deficiency and I finally gave up on doing an organic grow. I began taking the runoff from the coco grow and feeding the soil plant with that and an occasional feeding of a half strength mix similar to the coco but no Black Diamond, wetting agent or hydrogen peroxide. The plant began looking better. I continued to read AquaMan's thread on his soil grow and was really surprised to see where he was feeding almost as if the plants were in coco. I began mixing a ~500 ppm solution but again minus the wetting agent and hydrogen peroxide but I began including the Black Diamond. This plant is just as thirsty as the other and I am watering 3 - 3.5 liters every 24 hours. It takes the full 3 liters before any runoff in the drain pan.

Psycho 124 Side
Psycho 124 Top

Pondracer

Pondracer

The tent is dialed in well in my opinion for now. I have to do some additional work on ventilation and those changes are sure to alter my temps and humidity. Currently I have the exhaust disconnected in my beer and wine cellar which is just bad :) Its driving up the temp and humidity everywhere in the tent area. Smell is minor but it has to be fixed. I will begin working on that tomorrow. I added some blackout curtain material to some windows and have started shifting my on/off times further back into the clock. Meaning having the lights come on early in the day and shutoff earlier at night. I have two circulation fans (one with ion) and a small dehumidifier. The night-time humidity those first two cycles was crazy. It headed up north of 90%. Once you have the controls on the Trolmaster in place its easy to create steps for the fans and humidifier to trigger at different points so that not everything has to run all the time and you can flatten the curve (corona joke there... sort of). I am new to the concept of VPD but I am working on it. CO2 is out of the picture. I am not willing to invest money or sacrifice space inside a tent. Permanent room sure, but not for this.

Parameters08052020
Parameters Temp 08042020
Parameters Hum 08042020
Parameters VPD 08042020

Pondracer

Pondracer

I am thinking height is going to be a problem. This is the Psycho plant and it is a full 10 inches lower than the Purple Urkle. The Purple Urkle is ~40 inches / 102 cm in width by about 26 inches in height. The Psycho is around 27 inches in height and slightly less (36 inches ?) in width.

PurpleUrkle 124Days Full

Pondracer

Pondracer

Feeding 6 liters with about 1 - 1.5 liter runoff. Can't seem to get any decent runoff with only 4 liters. The coco plant is in a 7 gallon pot.

Current mix is 754 PPM and about 5.75 PH. Runoff is measuring 351 PPM and 5.96 PH. Calibrated everything today, cleaned etc so these are solid numbers. I've been running with this 750 ish mix for 2 days now, 4 feedings.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Feeding 6 liters with about 1 - 1.5 liter runoff. Can't seem to get any decent runoff with only 4 liters. The coco plant is in a 7 gallon pot.

Current mix is 754 PPM and about 5.75 PH. Runoff is measuring 351 PPM and 5.96 PH. Calibrated everything today, cleaned etc so these are solid numbers. I've been running with this 750 ish mix for 2 days now, 4 feedings.
She looks good

BobfcknVilla

BobfcknVilla

Should also add the area where these are kept is a steady 70F, humidity can get up a little but nothing extreme.
Raise your temps under led you want to be 80+ in veg. Raise your lights until the issue clears also, and I really recommend running 18/6 to give the plant a rest. I also wouldn’t water with straight ro and cal mag, you should be fertilizing every feeding in coco. I personally don’t run off every feeding, I just make sure it happens once or twice a week.

Pondracer

Pondracer

The burn still shows in places but overall the plant is looking much better. I found it interesting that it flowers slower and differently than the Psycho I have in soil. Last measurement I fed at 754 ppm and 5.75 ph with a 20% runoff. Runoff measured at 278 ppm but a higher 6.58 ph. Did some more updating to the exhaust as I am approaching the fragrant phase :) Both plants are slightly greater than 42" in width.

PurpleUrkle 127Days Side
PurpleUrkle 127Days Top
Psycho 127 Side
Psycho 127 Top

guymandude

guymandude

you should be fertilizing every feeding in coco.

this is a myth. it's generally good advice so don't be insulted but there are other ways to grow. I used to feed, in coco, full strength, then plain water and alternate, feed, water feed water and it worked very very well. the key to mke sure your rootball is mature and fills the pot. get to the point where you need to feed/water daily and you'll be set.

Top Bottom