Purple Urkle in Coco / 640w Mammoth 8 bar

• Thread starter Pondracer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pondracer

Pondracer

This is the medium I bought. I used about 1/3 of a block. I prepped it by hydrating in tap water for 24 hours and then rinsing through a wire screen in small batches. Then I soaked it for another 24 hours in RO and CaliMagic, double the suggested dose.

CocoBlock

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If your pH of RO is kept at 6.0 in most of the time, and the cost is relatively low, useing RO water is best choice.
If your pH is not stable, after you prepare the water, first add potassium silicate(full dose based on the manual of ur nutrient solution, i take 5 ml of slicia per gallon of emerald harvest in RO or TAP),then add calmag(RO 3-5ML, TAP 1-4ML per gallon,I personally recommend 4ml of calmag in tap water through all stages,cause the Coco really needs magnesium much than we thought),then nutrient solution,

Last step, adjust the pH through phosphoric acid. This is aqua man's method, which I had experimented in last week
Yes but remember to ph down to 6.2 after the silica and before cal mag. Silica will raise the ph drastically and can cause thing like iron and calcium to precipitate out of the solution when ph is high. So RO add potassium silicate then ph to 6.2 then add cal mag then nutrients and finally adjust ph before feeding

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Crap I just reread this and realized I totally missed the quantity you suggested. Wow.... 21 gallons? My mistake. Here is what I did.
  1. I lowered the plant as far as I can, it gives about 20 inches/50 cm to the light
  2. I mix in the order I listed with a one hour wait between the ArmorSI (first ingredient) and the CaliMagic (second ingredient).
  3. I flushed with 4 liters of 5ml CalMagic only at 5.9 PH and followed that with an identical flush 12 hours later same quantity
  4. 12 hours after that I fed with 4 liters of 350 PPM solution at 5.82 PH and pulled the runoff
  5. Runoff was measured at 1150 PPM and 5.54 PH. Total runoff was around 40%.
Between work and prepping the area for the flower tent I am crazy busy. Just found out it and the lights will not arrive until first of next week. I need to get something in the flower tent that makes collecting runoff easier. Very quickly I will need carbon filter in place. Thinking of running two, one inside the tent as recirc and another inside but venting outside the tent.
Still a bit high but better.

Pondracer

Pondracer

I just measured the PH of my solution after adding only the silica (ArmorSI) at 1 ml per gallon of RO water. Holy crap, it was around 9.3 PH an hour or more after mixing. I understand precipate forming with calcium I just never assumed the silica/potassium would raise it like that. Going to try mixing differently tonight and bring it back down before continuing with the mix.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just measured the PH of my solution after adding only the silica (ArmorSI) at 1 ml per gallon of RO water. Holy crap, it was around 9.3 PH an hour or more after mixing. I understand precipate forming with calcium I just never assumed the silica/potassium would raise it like that. Going to try mixing differently tonight and bring it back down before continuing with the mix.
Yup that's why it's important to mix it first and then ph it down before adding anything else. Also if adding to the res you should mix it in water and ph down before adding to the res. It's a great buffer and beneficial for the plants

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don't remember if you flushed yet? That ppm is not bad just the difference is concerning

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If it's getting better keep at it. It will just be a bit slower and that ppm isn't to bad. I would up the ppm a bit on the feeds about 600 and if the ppm is still going down then you should start seeing some improvement in the next few days

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Did you mention rinsing the coco after you charged with cal/mag? You wanna rinse it and measure run off until you get it down to about 150 ppm.

Also, when charging your coco, add cal/mag until you reach about 1500ppm. Not sure what you mean by using "double the dose" in reference to how much cal/mag you added to charge.....

It's important to try and hit those numbers, or get pretty close to them.

Pondracer

Pondracer

Did you mention rinsing the coco after you charged with cal/mag? You wanna rinse it and measure run off until you get it down to about 150 ppm.

Also, when charging your coco, add cal/mag until you reach about 1500ppm. Not sure what you mean by using "double the dose" in reference to how much cal/mag you added to charge.....

It's important to try and hit those numbers, or get pretty close to them.

Thanks, this is the info I needed. I did something different, following these directions at double the strength that was recommended:

To Double-Buffer Coco:
  1. Prepare buffering solution:
    • Tap water may be used for buffering solution
    • Add at least 7.5 ml/Gal of General Hydroponics CaliMagic
    • Electrical Conductivity (EC) of the buffering solution should be 1200-2000
    • pH of the buffering solution should be greater than 6.2
  2. Place coco in a fabric pot - and then place that into a 5-gallon bucket
  3. Soak coco completely submerged in buffering solution for 8+ hours
  4. Raise fabric pot and allow to drain - dump bucket
  5. Soak again completely submerged in fresh buffering solution for 8+ hours
  6. Drain and it is ready to be mixed with perlite

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Yep...that's about right. I usually just add cal/mag to tap water until I reach between 1200 and 1500ppm, then load up some rinsed coco in the fabric pots and into the soak for 24 hours then start rinsing until I get back down to 150ppm.

If you wanna do a "double dose" then just repeat the above steps again.

Tap water is fine for this...

Calimagic is weak, if you can, get Bloom City brand Cal-Mag, it's cheap and is 2-0-0 where Calimagic is 1-0-0

guymandude

guymandude

well over the years, i have found that this is the best coco i have experienced.

it literally rinses at ZERO ppm. i use my nutrient solution to expand it and have no problems with it at all.

Pondracer

Pondracer

well over the years, i have found that this is the best coco i have experienced.

it literally rinses at ZERO ppm. i use my nutrient solution to expand it and have no problems with it at all.

I was thinking of going with this: Canna Coco

The loose as opposed to the brick. Its readily available near me.

JASONBROTHER

JASONBROTHER

Yes but remember to ph down to 6.2 after the silica and before cal mag. Silica will raise the ph drastically and can cause thing like iron and calcium to precipitate out of the solution when ph is high. So RO add potassium silicate then ph to 6.2 then add cal mag then nutrients and finally adjust ph before feeding

In fact, there is one of the most important problems that we have ignored. We always talk about how to keep the pH stable, but if it is in coco, the run-off EC in Veg is better kept at 5.8-6.0, and the run-off of EC in bloom is better kept at 6.1-6.2. Do you remember my experimented plant ?
At the beginning, I thought that ppm was too little, and then ppm began to increase. There is also the most important problem. I found that if the run off of EC is not correct, then all kinds of defiencies will come asap.
The most important thing is that if there is a problem with plants, the LUX or PPFD must be reduced in 2 or 3 days , otherwise the recovery time will be too long ..
I was super high last night and read a few articles on the “grow weed easy “ then combined with my own problems to realised that

JASONBROTHER

JASONBROTHER

Yep...that's about right. I usually just add cal/mag to tap water until I reach between 1200 and 1500ppm, then load up some rinsed coco in the fabric pots and into the soak for 24 hours then start rinsing until I get back down to 150ppm.

If you wanna do a "double dose" then just repeat the above steps again.

Tap water is fine for this...

Calimagic is weak, if you can, get Bloom City brand Cal-Mag, it's cheap and is 2-0-0 where Calimagic is 1-0-0
1~3 ml calmag/ 1 gallon is enough for entire period .
The tap water itself contains enough calcium, but the most important element is magnesium.
I found that many rookies even with experienced growers always happens magnesium def . I don't know why. It may be that calcium is too much in tap water, so people often ignore magnesium.
For coco Magnesium, calcium and. silicon these three are really important

guymandude

guymandude

I was thinking of going with this: Canna Coco

The loose as opposed to the brick. Its readily available near me.

well i would get the loose but Hawthorne Group has completely screw the local hydro stores and they do not distribute it. They push botanicare hard, which is owned by Hawthorne. So I get a decent price on the bricks on Amazon with free shipping. That being said, Canna is the only coco i have run that doesn't need to be rinsed. I expand the bricks, add perlite and go.

do yu find you need more calmag with that new light? I was reading that some LED manufacturers recommend using more calmag with the new lighting systems.

Top Bottom