--- Quality Over Quantity --- (new Member Post)

• Thread starter QoQ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QoQ

QoQ

Thanks for your kind reply I've read and took on board what you've said!.

I have come up with a small problem I have noticed. (I'll apply pictures here tomorrow).

Does anyone know what it could possibly be, my main top cola is starting to brown/yellow (no signs of mould though), and the lower branched buds are budding much better than the top, it doesn't have much formation to it where as on the lower branch buds I can tell clearly their buds...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks QoQ

QoQ

QoQ

Here are updates pictures. Two are from the top main cola im having some problems with by the looks of it (im not entirely sure) and the other two pictures are the lower growth buds forming :).

How far from harvest ya recon?

Thanks alot, QoQ
20150715 220832
20150715 220845
20150714 175125
20150714 175011

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Basically I just need to know what's best and if I fit a 600w bulb onto my 600w ballast will it be using more power than my 250w in my 600w ballast?
It will be the same power consumption because you are using the same 600w ballast for both bulbs. If you used a 250w ballast for the 250w bulb you would run less power.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

It could be too close to the light, did ytou switch to the 600w?

How are temps?

A caterpillar mightve crawled in there... Hopefully you got that thing sealed off to any bugs or pests.

How many weeks/days are you into flower now?

QoQ

QoQ

The temps aren't in excess of 30 degrees. Always below, and it's sealed but I have had problem with small flies but they stay only in the soil and is such small amount I've got rid of them once and it came back...

But I have read alot and to buy sticky traps and try other treatments ect...

But why is the top cola not forming properly? I am still using the 250w and im 4 weeks 2 days into flowering.

The strain had said it's 57-60day harvest in flowering.

What do you think?

QoQ

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

[QoQ, post: 1498193, member: 68154"]

But why is the top cola not forming properly? I am still nd im 4 weeks 2 days into flowering.

The strain had said it's 57-60day harvest in flowering.

What do you think?

QoQ[/QUOTE]
It could be too close to the light. How far is the top bud from the light? Thats why most folks like to avoid the "bean pole" kilo was on about. It makes it hard to evenly distribute light across the bud sites

QoQ

QoQ

And an update im unable to setup the 600w because of the power usage.

I am having to sell my cool tube and now buy a 250w ballast so my 250 will run smoothly.

So for now I'm just chilling on the same equipment as the beginning.

I am afraid about the top cola on my plant if someone can reassure me or help me clean it up id be so very thankful thankyou so much people.

I'm very happy to come here to this forum and be greeted by all this remarkable help I've been granted with :)

Thankyou all!

QoQ

QoQ

QoQ

The light is atleast 7 inches away from the top cola ill measure it when im home atm I am in a resturant being treated lol.

I'm sure its more closer to the 10 inches away. But im not entirely sure.

I really wouldn't have thought it's too close but what's the recommended height then as I don't have cable ties to position it it's actually in a fixed position atm.

Thankyou

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

The light is atleast 7 inches away from the top cola ill measure it when im home atm I am in a resturant being treated lol.

I'm sure its more closer to the 10 inches away. But im not entirely sure.

I really wouldn't have thought it's too close but what's the recommended height then as I don't have cable ties to position it it's actually in a fixed position atm.

Thankyou

Not sure with a 250w. Generally a good rule of thumb is to put your hand under the light, palm down. Hover your hand at the height of the cola, if its too warm for your hand its too warm for your plant.

If your leaves are bleaching, or turning yellow at the hot spots close to your light it could be too close

It looks like you got foilage burn. If i were you id gently gently tie a loose loop around the stalk somewhere and tie that sucker down. You want your lower bud sites to get a good amount of light or theyll produce very little. Tying down your cola could help achieve this.

You should really figure out how to set your light on a pulley system of some sort so you can lower it and raise it to accomidate your plants. Especially with such a low wattage you really want the light as close as you can get it, but not so close that you burn foilage

Someone with a little more experience care to back me up or correct me, id appreciate it.
Im a beginner and im also here to learn

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
If you are at 30deg Celsius or 86 deg Fahrenheit and the light is at 7-10" above tops you may have scorched it. Looks like your feeding full strength as the tips of the leaves are burnt good lol. I would back off on the nutrients. Check the temps directly above the plants. I bet it's warmer than 30deg C. Just raise the light until the temps are acceptable. Cut off the dead parts. Keep a fan blowing just over the tops of the plants to help cool them.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

If you are at 30deg Celsius or 86 deg Fahrenheit and the light is at 7-10" above tops you may have scorched it. Looks like your feeding full strength as the tips of the leaves are burnt good lol. I would back off on the nutrients. Check the temps directly above the plants. I bet it's warmer than 30deg C. Just raise the light until the temps are acceptable. Cut off the dead parts. Keep a fan blowing just over the tops of the
plants to help cool them.
He makes a good point. Where is this measurement of temperature coming from. I keep a probe at the level of my canopy to make sure i dont exceed 80degreesF. I dont know what the celseus measurements are... Im in the states

QoQ

QoQ

Hi guys thanks all for your replies.

Am I being told to cut off my top cola because it's burnt?

I have my thermostat on the floor... That's probably giving a wrong reading or something.

The 250w bulb is atleast 8 inches away from the plant and I mean it feels quite hot for me when my heads under it looking at the plants...

If I was to bend this plant over and tie it down which ways should I tie it down?

If someone can help elaborate so I can get doing something about this plant asap..

The longer I leave it the worse it's getting im worried...

I've got updated pics right here...

QoQ

QoQ

I have tied the plant down and I will post update 0ictures later...

The top cola was very crispy and actually fell off with contact. ... what will happen now?

What should I do next?

Thanks alot.

QoQ

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

From what iv been told running a 600w hps uses the same electric as a normal fridge.

QoQ

QoQ

Just for your information my electricity bill since using a 250w is roughly 42$ a month extra electric. ... A 600 is more than double the power, what fridges cos $80 a month? ...

Sorry for sounding rude but im the one paying this bill and it's incredibly huge lol. (I was running 24hrs for 6 week)...

Can anyone recommend a good cheap small fan which I could put into the tent? To blow the plants... I am worried of hot spots ect need the temps nice.

How can I lower the temperature also

Gary Host

Gary Host

Just for your information my electricity bill since using a 250w is roughly 42$ a month extra electric. ... A 600 is more than double the power, what fridges cos $80 a month? ...

Sorry for sounding rude but im the one paying this bill and it's incredibly huge lol. (I was running 24hrs for 6 week)...

Can anyone recommend a good cheap small fan which I could put into the tent? To blow the plants... I am worried of hot spots ect need the temps nice.

How can I lower the temperature also

Why did you run a 600w HPS 24/7 for 6 weeks for ? Unless you got a huge ass veg room, but then you should still be using Metal Halide, not HPS. Even big growers use Florescent tubes or CompactFlourecent bulbs for vegging, except at most a one or two days 18/6 HPS at lowest intensity (highest hanging position) just to let the plants adjust to the spectrum and higher intensity in bloom.

Secondly, the plant in the picture above has either been in temperatures above 50°C or you overfed that bitch really hard.

You might want to do an overhaul of your ventilation, and possibly starting to throw some glances at the LED side of grow lights.

Just incase you decide to run right out to get an LED this is the super short buyers guide:

You're going to need 1,5 ~2 times as much watt stated in the LED name, to achieve the same µmol par output as your HPS.
If it says "300w LED grow light bloom" .. you're going to need 2

Stay away from lights that say they have "UV" or "iR" .. the UV is the wrong spectrum, and the IR is needed for about 6~9 minutes after the lights go out to put plants faster to sleep. Not to be radiating during the entire cycle.

Look for fixtures that are "full spectrum" with "white led's" in there.

Just do your research. Google is an open oyster my friend, http://bfy.tw/xvC

Last edited:
Top Bottom