Quality vs Quantity... Small Setup

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm finishing up my first grow using the middle child of this line-up, the ROI-E680 in a 4x4. I'm very happy with the results but I won't pretend to be able to compare my light to any other; its just the one I purchased based on a bunch of reviews, it seems to work well and it hasn't crapped out on me yet. I ended up buying the Grower's Choice Master Controller too, and while totally over priced I like the added functionality. You can fine-tune the lighting adjustments, use it as a timer, temp/humidity sensor, cover a second light, etc. But like I said, I bet you can do the same with other equipment for far less.

For what its worth I used living soil for my first grow and really enjoyed it. Maybe I was lucky, but compared to what I see most people going through my grow seemed easy as hell. I think I screwed up my top dressing schedule by doing my late top-dressings too early but it all seems to have worked out okay. The only pests I had to deal with this time around were some fungus gnats, but I added some yellow sticky pads and had really good airflow under the canopy and the issue never had a chance to spread.
I'm happy enough with my E720 without the controller in my 5 x 5. It would be nice but not at current pricing. I would consider it if I decide to purchase another E720.

I'm using "Recharge" and "Fish Sh!t" in FFOF that I also added a bit of worm castings to prior to up-potting into my 5 gallon fabric pots, although I've had to use a bit of Botanicare "Organic" nutes and some cal-mag from time to time. The results so far have been fantastic

I've got 6 bags of Roots Organic's "LUSH" lined up for my next few runs. That should be pretty close to "water only" with Fish Sh!t and Recharge added for beneficial microbes.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

Great! Thanks so much!
That’s correct CO2 should be reserved for that next level. Just make sure you got good ventilation and you will be fine.
I have all the gear for CO2 but then I’d have get ac and seal the room. For me not worth the hassle.

Dothraki

Dothraki

That’s correct CO2 should be reserved for that next level. Just make sure you got good ventilation and you will be fine.
I have all the gear for CO2 but then I’d have get ac and seal the room. For me not worth the hassle.
So yeah...sounds like a pain in the ass lol. I‘m looking at the AC Infinity 6” fan system with the temp/humidity controller...wonder how practical the temp/hum controller is. If it works that’d be pretty dang useful.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

So yeah...sounds like a pain in the ass lol. I‘m looking at the AC Infinity 6” fan system with the temp/humidity controller...wonder how practical the temp/hum controller is. If it works that’d be pretty dang useful.
My intake and exhaust runs 24/7. Without CO2 you want continuous fresh air coming in to keep CO2 levels as high as possible. Weed being a C3 plant it doesn’t need when lights off but I also need to keep negative pressure to keep the stink in the room. I have a little more exhaust than intake helping with fresh air but still providing neg pressure. I have a dehumidifier to keep at ideal RH.

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

My intake and exhaust runs 24/7. I have a little more exhaust than intake providing a small amount of neg pressure so as to keep the stink in the room. I have a dehumidifier to keep at ideal RH.
What size tent and which light are you using? Are you in a warm climate? Asking because I’m in the cold northeast.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm in Michigan. I run two 5 x 5 tents except in the summer when I only run 1 to offset the cost of central air. With two tents running in the summer, controlling heat in the grow area gets expensive. With one tent running, my basement does fine absorbing that heat with the central air running.

I'm also using a dehumidifier to keep RH in line. During the winter months, the dehumidifier barely runs.

Quicksand

Quicksand

Awesome, makes sense. Do you think I would need CO2 using that in the 3x3? I’ve read about more light you might need CO2. Im hoping to get started within a few weeks, that’s why I’m trying to hammer out all my questions before buying gear lol. Sorry if you’ve answered this stuff a million times already.
Just want to say that the CO2 Exhale or similar kits add significant CO2 to my grow area at a very affordable price without having to think about it. My meter reads around 520 with no kit, and then fluctuating levels of 600-1300 for about six months with each bag.….

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Just want to say that the CO2 Exhale or similar kits add significant CO2 to my grow area at a very affordable price without having to think about it. My meter reads around 520 with no kit, and then fluctuating levels of 600-1300 for about six months with each bag.….
I'm not familiar with this kit. Can you post a link please? If it's easy/cheap enough, I might use it ...

Edit: I found it https://www.growgeneration.com/exhale-the-original-co2-bag.html

How much difference has it made in your yields?

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

What size tent and which light are you using? Are you in a warm climate? Asking because I’m in the cold northeast.
Michigan. No tent dry walled off area of basement wrapping in panda poly wrap. Three rooms. The flower is 10x14 the veg is nit a perfect rectangle but about 100 square feet and then an all purpose room fir trimming and drying that is about 8x8. All are totally sealed with poly. There’s 1 6” inline fir intake and an 8” exhaust in the flower room. An additional 6” exhaust in the all purpose. All the exhaust have carbon filters. And they can be exhausted outdoors in warmer weather or back to first floor in winter for heat.

Quicksand

Quicksand

I'm not familiar with this kit. Can you post a link please? If it's easy/cheap enough, I might use it ...

Edit: I found it https://www.growgeneration.com/exhale-the-original-co2-bag.html

How much difference has it made in your yields?
It seems to add more to the yield, especially during the cooler winter months. Living in the Deep South, I am forced to run a window ac unit for my room and it is still too warm-but I think the additional CO2 helps my plants with heat stress.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Michigan. No tent dry walled off area of basement wrapping in panda poly wrap. Three rooms. The flower is 10x14 the veg is nit a perfect rectangle but about 100 square feet and then an all purpose room fir trimming and drying that is about 8x8. All are totally sealed with poly. There’s 1 6” inline fir intake and an 8” exhaust in the flower room. An additional 6” exhaust in the all purpose. All the exhaust have carbon filters. And they can be exhausted outdoors in warmer weather or back to first floor in winter for heat.
That sounds like a great setup...especially reusing the warm air during cold months! Now I’m thinking of doing this as it may be more practical than a tent, but maybe down the road if all pans out and I enjoy growing.

Ncolli1313

Ncolli1313

I think plant training and removing low growth chutes before flower would be what you should focus on, regardless of the light. I have SF2000 and I think your light would be overkill.
I agree with you on the focusing on training, cropping or whichever method or methods you use. I am a newer grower and what I find is that each time you grow one or multiple plants you learn more no matter your level of experience. I do believe that light is heart of your grow and so very important however in a small grow most of the lights out there will work well if you are giving the plants everything they need as well as watching to correct anything causing harm to them. Good genetics is in my opinion the most important part of the process for the best buds.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I agree with you on the focusing on training, cropping or whichever method or methods you use. I am a newer grower and what I find is that each time you grow one or multiple plants you learn more no matter your level of experience. I do believe that light is heart of your grow and so very important however in a small grow most of the lights out there will work well if you are giving the plants everything they need as well as watching to correct anything causing harm to them. Good genetics is in my opinion the most important part of the process for the best buds.
Absolutely! Right now I’m just going 1 at a time though. I will be moving on to soil/nutrients after I make the tent/light/ventilation setup purchase. I feel like I make better buys if I have a good grasp of the big picture...and how everything plays together. Like a symphony, just building the list of instruments first. But I absolutely will focus on training, pruning etc. once I get there. Everyone here has been awesome and very helpful so far, I’ve learned a lot just in the past couple days. Still absorbing it all lol. Thanks!

Dothraki

Dothraki

These are really great fans . . . however I would buy the S model that comes without the controller and order the Controller 67 instead. The 6" S model is like $40 cheaper than the T model and the Controller 67 is $50 so you get a much better controller for an extra $10.
I think it would be $10 more to do it that way. You get the controller 67 with the T model...unless I’m missing something, is the controller in the T model somehow different than the 67? I thought S was for “speed” and T for “temp”, with same fan, just different controllers.

F

frogyrogy

I think it would be $10 more to do it that way. You get the controller 67 with the T model...unless I’m missing something, is the controller in the T model somehow different than the 67? I thought S was for “speed” and T for “temp”, with same fan, just different controllers.
The Controller 67 is an upgrade . . . unless they've started including it with the T model since I last checked. The smart controller that comes with the T is not the same, I learned that when I contacted their customer support about setting a minimum fan speed along with the other triggers and was informed I needed the 67 upgrade to do that.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
If I was to choose between the sf4000 and se3000 for a 3x3 I’d go with the sf4000.
cant hurt to have the extra power when needed, And can always dial it back. The 4000 would cover a 3x3 perfectly from corner to corner.

Dothraki

Dothraki

If I was to choose between the sf4000 and se3000 for a 3x3 I’d go with the sf4000.
cant hurt to have the extra power when needed, And can always dial it back. The 4000 would cover a 3x3 perfectly from corner to corner.
Is the only benefit the larger footprint? If it’s just a sq ft coverage area benefit I would go for the smaller light and use it for veg if I upgraded to larger grows in the future (which honestly I probably won’t do, especially since dispensaries have great selections) but if the extra juice grows a better plant I’m all for it. Better for me would have to be higher cannabinoid content, terpenes etc. I was under the assumption that more powerful lights grew better plants but seems to only be sq ft coverage and plant size, which doesn’t effect potency or terpene production.

please correct me if I’m wrong...trying to put it all together still lol.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
The 4000 would give you around 45w/sq which I think is somewhere around max potential for many strains in bloom. I’d always prefer more powerful equipment and dial it back as needed. Either way, you can’t go wrong @SpiderFarmerLED makes a great product. Just assembled my new se3000 yesterday👍

0F81E597 3ADD 4CA2 8E4B F7C3643BDA19
Top Bottom