Quality vs Quantity... Small Setup

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

The 4000 would give you around 45w/sq which I think is somewhere around max potential for many strains in bloom. I’d always prefer more powerful equipment and dial it back as needed. Either way, you can’t go wrong @SpiderFarmerLED makes a great product. Just assembled my new se3000 yesterday👍
The Controller 67 is an upgrade . . . unless they've started including it with the T model since I last checked. The smart controller that comes with the T is not the same, I learned that when I contacted their customer support about setting a minimum fan speed along with the other triggers and was informed I needed the 67 upgrade to do that.
Oh damn, they look the same in the photos. I wonder what else is different aside from minimum fan speed? So do you set min then it cycles on and “off” to the low speed instead of off?

F

frogyrogy

Oh damn, they look the same in the photos. I wonder what else is different aside from minimum fan speed? So do you set min then it cycles on and “off” to the low speed instead of off?
From AC Infinity site:

"Go even further by setting a minimum speed that the fan will run at constantly and would only increase when triggered. Timer, cycle, and schedule modes add custom on-demand activation for a variety of uses. Securely connect with AC Infinity App via Bluetooth to access your fan remotely, unlock advance programs, set notifications, view historical climate charts, and export CSV data."

The minimum fan speed and the app are worth the extra $10 if you ask me . . .

Dothraki

Dothraki

From AC Infinity site:

"Go even further by setting a minimum speed that the fan will run at constantly and would only increase when triggered. Timer, cycle, and schedule modes add custom on-demand activation for a variety of uses. Securely connect with AC Infinity App via Bluetooth to access your fan remotely, unlock advance programs, set notifications, view historical climate charts, and export CSV data."

The minimum fan speed and the app are worth the extra $10 if you ask me . . .
I agree! Definitely will do this. Thanks for the heads up!

dbrzz

dbrzz

Hey all! Long time user, prospective grower. I’m digging in and sifting through as much info as possible. I‘ve noticed a lot of info seems to be focused on yield, which is definitely understandable! However, I’m really only concerned with quality and wouldn’t mind yielding tiny plants with stinky, sticky dank buds. Only growing for myself I’d be fine with tiny yields.

With that said, are there certain aspects that I can disregard due to being only beneficial to yield or does larger plants/larger buds usually equate to danker buds? For instance I’m looking at the SF4000 LED for a 3x3 tent, but mostly for the 3000K, 5000K, 660nm, and IR 760nm. There is no UVA or UVB as far as I understand...and from what I’ve researched it seems UV can help with resin production in flowering?

My plan is 3x3, soil, still unsure about organic or not. Just looking to get the best I can (sure it won’t happen with my first few grows) but would like to know that my equipment is right for when I get some grows and experience under my belt. I’m going for 3x3 because I’m thinking it would be easier to control temp/humidity than a 2x2...but maybe I’m wrong lol.

Is the SF4000 a good prospect for a 3x3 if only focus is quality? Or is it too much for a 3x3 and possibly work against me? Should I look more into LEDs with built in UV diodes?
You wont be disappointed buying more light than needed. You will be expanding your grow in the future as the 3x3 will get very small when you get your buds banging!! We all started where you are with humble expectations of bud production our first grow. Dont cheap out…. SF4000 is a great light and can grow excellent buds in a 5x5. Your other Light choices, of lower wattage lighting, are great for your smaller tent space, but when you want to expand your grow, you will be in the market for more lighting. Buy the most light you can afford taking into account of your future growing aspirations. That way you wont have to waste more money upgrading your light. More light is better if you can dim it! Smaller spaces create more heat from the light so ventilation by air exchange will be required.
FYI, The heat generated by your lighting damages your plants!!! Not photon burn like people say.
31FEFDDE 3A86 4A66 AA05 43BF548561F9
D3A2CEE8 7D41 4888 8BFB ED56E609156E
16D96D1A 2103 4FBD A4B8 724A981172F6

growsince79

growsince79

That statement is so not true it needs correcting. Too much light can absolutely kill your plant regardless of temperature. If you put that light 6" above your plants, it won't be the heat that kills them but the light will.
I had a plant in the sun last year at 118f that didn't die.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I think I’ll grab the SE3000 for the 3x3. I figure if I upgrade in the future there will be more options by then and I will know more about what my growing conditions need, depending on how everything reacts to temp, humidity etc. and if/when I upgrade, maybe I can repurpose the 3000 for vegging or give it to my brother so he can start his own (he will be my guinea pig for the first grow, cause I’ll get honest feedback) lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

growsince79

growsince79

I think I’ll grab the SE3000 for the 3x3. I figure if I upgrade in the future there will be more options by then and I will know more about what my growing conditions need, depending on how everything reacts to temp, humidity etc. and if/when I upgrade, maybe I can repurpose the 3000 for vegging or give it to my brother so he can start his own (he will be my guinea pig for the first grow, cause I’ll get honest feedback) lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
I hear samsung is working on diodes that will make the 301h obsolete in 2022. In the mean time, your se3000 can supply 4lbs/year.

dbrzz

dbrzz

Buy the s6 series fan which is cheaper than the T6. S6 is $109.00 the controller 67 is $50.00.
The T series is for attic heat removal and not growtents!!! The controller minimum speed is off. The Controller 67 is a growtent controller. You can set the minimum speed to your preference. I use 3. The ac website says the T series is for growtents and is WRONG!!! Its either on or off. No minimum speed control, just alarm speed settings from 1-10.

FourPlants

FourPlants

Buy the s6 series fan which is cheaper than the T6. S6 is $109.00 the controller 67 is $50.00.
The T series is for attic heat removal and not growtents!!! The controller minimum speed is off. The Controller 67 is a growtent controller. You can set the minimum speed to your preference. I use 3. The ac website says the T series is for growtents and is WRONG!!! Its either on or off. No minimum speed control, just alarm speed settings from 1-10.

Makes perfect sense. I use my T as my thermometer/hygrometer and a speed controller. The smart functionality does me little good without a minimum on fan speed for constant negative pressure.

I had seen the 67 but didn't click it and look to see it was even a different controller

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

Jesus! 4lbs/year... looks like I’ll be giving away Christmas wreaths next year lol.
You’ll need the right genetics for a pound from 9 square feet but it can be done. I’d just set the bar at like 8 zips or so, so as not to disappoint. But still that should still leave enough left over to spread the joy.
And given the speed in which led technology is progressing I wouldn’t invest in expensive name brand lighting. Just get the Chinese knockoffs on Amazon that have a 2-3 year warranty and have Meanwell drivers and Samsung LM301 diodes.
That’s why I bought the bloomspects. 400w for 200 bucks and checks the boxes. Are the SpiderFarmer diodes laid out in a better pattern, yes. Is it a better light, probably. But 300 dollars better? Not for my situation. It’s the same fallacy that the nute companies use. The AN dude is like yeah it’s 500 more per harvest but you’ll make up for it with our over priced bottled hype.
Went back to basics. GH flora series with cheap Chinese lights.

0FF03B9E 3DD1 4A51 A21C 071E23FB9C9C
Dothraki

Dothraki

Thanks for the tip! Adjusted my cart for this.
You’ll need the right genetics for a pound from 9 square feet but it can be done. I’d just set the bar at like 8 zips or so, so as not to disappoint. But still that should still leave enough left over to spread the joy.
And given the speed in which led technology is progressing I wouldn’t invest in expensive name brand lighting. Just get the Chinese knockoffs on Amazon that have a 2-3 year warranty and have Meanwell drivers and Samsung LM301 diodes.
That’s why I bought the bloomspects. 400w for 200 bucks and checks the boxes. Are the SpiderFarmer diodes laid out in a better pattern, yes. Is it a better light, probably. But 300 dollars better? Not for my situation. It’s the same fallacy that the nute companies use. The AN dude is like yeah it’s 500 more per harvest but you’ll make up for it with our over priced bottled hype.
Went back to basics. GH flora series with cheap Chinese lights.
I’m not looking for quantities but would be happy with 1 Oz of killer dankness. Only went with 3x3 instead of 2x2 to help with heat management mostly.

growsince79

growsince79

Thanks for the tip! Adjusted my cart for this.

I’m not looking for quantities but would be happy with 1 Oz of killer dankness. Only went with 3x3 instead of 2x2 to help with heat management mostly.
3 x 3 with 300w is gonna be hotter than a 2 x 2 with a 100w light. A single 100w light can easily grow 1-1.5lbs/year. Quality will be exactly the same as if it were grown under the 300w.

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

hmm....having 2nd thoughts now. But then again it might drop below 60f during the winter. so I wonder if the extra heat could be good? I was actually debating having the light cycle on at night to counter balance the temp drops.

growsince79

growsince79

hmm....having 2nd thoughts now. But then again it might drop below 60f during the winter. so I wonder if the extra heat could be good? I was actually debating having the light cycle on at night to counter balance the temp drops.
Perfect for winter when you need more heat. This will make buds that are every bit as good as ANY LED - $49 + shipping.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

3 x 3 with 300w is gonna be hotter than a 2 x 2 with a 100w light. A single 100w light can easily grow 1-1.5lbs/year. Quality will be exactly the same as if it were grown under the 300w.
Have you looked into a carbon filter and fan kit? With proper ventilation, you should be ok with 300w of LED in a 3 x 3.

If there are plans to upgrade to a larger tent in the future, your 3 x 3 will work very well as your veg tent. Your 300w could do well as a veg light, but you wouldn't run it at 100% for that. There's many ways to use your old equipment as you upgrade going forward.

This hobby can be addictive. Once you have a few runs under your belt, you'll be looking for ways to improve it. You'll upgrade things as you go along ...

growsince79

growsince79

Have you looked into a carbon filter and fan kit? With proper ventilation, you should be ok with 300w of LED in a 3 x 3.

If there are plans to upgrade to a larger tent in the future, your 3 x 3 will work very well as your veg tent. Your 300w could do well as a veg light, but you wouldn't run it at 100% for that. There's many ways to use your old equipment as you upgrade going forward.

This hobby can be addictive. Once you have a few runs under your belt, you'll be looking for ways to improve it. You'll upgrade things as you go along ...
HAHA For me it all started with that first $10 shop light. Now I still keep buying shit I don't need.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

HAHA For me it all started with that first $10 shop light. Now I still keep buying shit I don't need.
This weekend, my wife said to me ... I wish the tents were bigger. I'd like more room to move around while I take care of them ...

A bit later, I showed her a 6.5' x 6.5' x 6.5' ... I told her that if we do that, we'll need a lighting upgrade. She looked at me and said, "I figured that."

I bought the tent. I'll upgrade the lighting after the new year.

Top Bottom