quick BHO question

• Thread starter mdTHC420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mdTHC420

hey all, easy question for you all: does the dry/cure matter when making bho? what is the best dryness to run sugar leaf trim at?

thanks

C

c4NN4daze

U'll always want tho dry ur trim out. Make sure there's no mold going on. ON a scale from one to ten , ten being the dryest. I think you could work with 6 or 7. Post pics , love this extraction method. Be careful please! Peace CD

R

ReadySetGrowD9

U'll always want tho dry ur trim out. Make sure there's no mold going on. ON a scale from one to ten , ten being the dryest. I think you could work with 6 or 7. Post pics , love this extraction method. Be careful please! Peace CD

Great Advise^^ and post pics please we all love some BHO :)

Peace
D9

M

mdTHC420

thanks for the reply. im going to home depot today or tomorrow to piece together a DIY BHO extractor. was thinking either baster, formed hard pvc, or some form of metal tubing any of which with end clamps. ill throw up some pics once i get the whole process started. 1000 other things to do all at once.

M

mdTHC420

so im prob going to go cheap for now and get a baster just for the first few runs till funds loosen up a bit. i picked up 3 bottles of Lucienne butane with the "near zero impurites" stamp from the local smoke shop. (side note, can only get 3 at a time here, guy said that the meth craze made stores think people were getting it to make drugs) hahaha.

any ways, going to finish piecing it together today and hopefully do a run tonight after i tend to the ladies in a bit.

on a side note how much butane should i be running thru a turkey baster? i have 300 ml bottles and 23 grams of dry blue dream sugar leaf and bottom nugs to run thru tonight. i was thinking a bottle per run? but i havnt done this so im lookin for a few pointers.

M

mdTHC420

so for a first run it really want that bad; actually pretty damn simple thanks to the threads here, so thanks.

i did 2 runs last night, one completely blue dream and one a salad of NL haze, BD, and AK. yeilded a gram from each run, maybe a point over from about 30 or so grams of sugar leaf trim and a few buds mixed in from underneath the canopy. all materials were $6 for baster, $8 for pyrex, and $4 per bottle of butane, so for the innital 2 runs it cost me low $20's for 2 grams, not to bad.

if there any ideas for improvement, let me know as this was a virgin run and i gota start making this for production pretty soon.

one final question: i let them sit in a hot water bath on the stove for over an hour to heat off any excess butane. is that enough to get rid of it or is there a better way to finish it off? ive been smoking and vapeing it and it is some killer but it seems like a few times is bubbled more than it should.

PICT0027
PICT0032
PICT0033
PICT0039
PICT0044
R

ReadySetGrowD9

Nice job!! i have a few suggestions though...

1st next time go and get a PVC, Plastic, or Glass setup bc using anything that can cause a spark if VERY VERY dangerous!!!!

2nd i would just let the butane burn off by itself OUTSIDE since its still very very flammable and it evaporates very quick without any help

and last but not least... You can run 2 cans of butane thru each batch of trim/bud u are using and the 1st and second will have very close to the same yield imo..

Hope this helps, Peace
D9

C

c4NN4daze

LOOOKS GRAAAVY BRO! Good job considering i just read this now. You were almost spot on with the butane use to grams. Use about and oz of bud or sugar leafs to every bottle. And HEY! When you get some funds rolling check out okief.com
Peace.

CD

M

mdTHC420

i was thinking about sparks but there isnt really any metal on metal contact cus its plastic tip on the butane, but i prob will be looking for an awesome glass tube. i let a majority of it evaporate outside but as it was near freezing so i dont think it would be that effective.

youre saying 2 cans per run? how much do you yield per gram used?

as i said i was using 98%sugar trim and yielded 2.1 grams from about 30 grams trim so i could reasonably expect 4 grams from 30 grams? just checking cus i thought i read on another tread that a second doesnt yield anything significant.

R

ReadySetGrowD9

I know when i do BHO i always run 2 cans thru... idk exactly how much yield per gram of trim/bud bc tbo its different with different strains.... some have more THC to extract then others...

Understandable about bring it inside bc it was so cold out but i still dont think u should put it on the stove.... if anything go to walmart and get a candle warmer for $5 thats what i use when i have ISO to evap the alcohol....

You are goin to LOVE have a glass extractor bro its way better then metal..... i use 18" PVC wit 2 end caps (bc i cant find a glass one that doesnt break the bank lol)

M

mdTHC420

doing my research i saw that some pvc are bad as the butane will disolve things from the pvc as well and if it is used it breaks down over time and corrodes the inside slightly, not enough to see but enough to matter. thats why pvc was an option for me but i couldnt find what i wanted at home depot to make a disposable one worth it.

whats the diameter of ur tube?
i would run 2 cans thru a 18 inch tube too, thats a lot of plant matter to go thru, but the baster is only about 6-8 inches tops, so im pretty sure a bottle pre run was getting most of it.

for the stove i used a baking pan filled 2/3 with water and left it on low for a while. this is after i lit a couple of the bubbles with a lighter. also not a gas stove so not an open flame.

S

sfzoo

Nice job!! i have a few suggestions though...

1st next time go and get a PVC, Plastic, or Glass setup bc using anything that can cause a spark if VERY VERY dangerous!!!!

2nd i would just let the butane burn off by itself OUTSIDE since its still very very flammable and it evaporates very quick without any help

and last but not least... You can run 2 cans of butane thru each batch of trim/bud u are using and the 1st and second will have very close to the same yield imo..

Hope this helps, Peace
D9

i've run plenty of basters for BHO. PVC is not the best option, as stated the butane will leach chems from the plastic. Stainless steel is ok, but glass is better.

the butane should evap fairly quickly. then to properly purge, you'll want to double boil the pyrex. 15min per gram of oil in the double boiler will do fine. but others have run it longer.

2 cans through each baster is toooo much. Run it till it comes out clear. Then you can stop, nothing more is coming out, well...not enough to justify the extra butane. Usually, i'll run half a can per baster - weather i'm running buds or trim.

i was thinking about sparks but there isnt really any metal on metal contact cus its plastic tip on the butane, but i prob will be looking for an awesome glass tube. i let a majority of it evaporate outside but as it was near freezing so i dont think it would be that effective.

youre saying 2 cans per run? how much do you yield per gram used?

as i said i was using 98%sugar trim and yielded 2.1 grams from about 30 grams trim so i could reasonably expect 4 grams from 30 grams? just checking cus i thought i read on another tread that a second doesnt yield anything significant.

the contact with metal and your hands may still spark, from static electricity. Just be careful, do it outside, and take all precautions.

2nd runs won't yield too much, but the fact is that it does yield something. and that something could mean something to smoke or not..

dextr0

dextr0

Simple throw away extractors

Readyset: If i were u i would go get a dremel set with all kinds of heads. Anyway you can cut glass with these. I get an old beer bottle (plenty of those laying around) clean it out, cut the bottom off with the dremel and there you go...you got a glass bho extractor....if it cracks or whatever from the cold simply throw away and do another. A dremel can be found for 30 bucks and up. Solid investment if you ask me.

M

mdTHC420

so i guess the purge is what i was unclear about, would not doing that result in a small amount left in it that would spark for a sec when melted? im no to worried, i heat all my hash before smoking it so this run should be alright but im looking forward.

if there are any trick/pointers for a fast and effective purge it would be much appreciated.

S

sfzoo

if you don't purge, you'll have butane in your oil. Not good! Place your pyrex in a hot water bath for 10-15min per gram of bho and you'll be fine. Raze any large bubbles with a mini torch or lighter(be careful).

M

mdTHC420

is it possible to purge the day after i gathered it. i have it just chillin in bottles but dont want to lose a bunch of it on the sides of the pyrex again.

this will def be done next time

M

mdTHC420

so i did another run today of 5 cans; 1 can per baster. yielded better than last night, not sure if because of trim quality or what, but first run of 2 got 3.2 grams and second run of 3 got 5.2 grams for a grand total of just over 10.5 gs for my first full small round run of this. not to shabby considering about $60 or so invested for an average of $6/g. cant beat that with a stick.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Dude

You need to grab the needle on that baster with a pair of pliers and pull the needle off of the baster. The hole that is left will accept one of the plastic caps included with the butane

mal

M

mdTHC420

it fits right in the baster needle tip. dont know y i would pull it off, or in this case, screw it off.

Top Bottom