quick BHO question

• Thread starter mdTHC420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mdTHC420

question: i put my oil in lil containers and not all of them but some of them have what looks like a fine layer of almost foam but really sticky. is this excess butane i failed to remove and need to go recook it or is this normal. it only happened to a couple of the ones that i made.

i think i will reheat it all and make budder by whipping some air into it i believe is what i read to do that?

M

mdTHC420

quite possibly. only one batch really did any of the frothing and the other remained glassish. i went and whipped the 7 grams together and now have budder i think. a lil pancake of light yellowish/browish almost dough... ill post pics a lil later on.

M

mdTHC420

so passed out samples of the budder to people and they loved it but a few said it "melted to fast". i always thought this was a good problem, but is there any way to make it perhaps thicker to melt slower?

C

cannabinoid

Are ppl topping bowls or using a concentrate specific apparatus?

I think either precipitating the lipids in cold solution or performing a 2nd wash with alcohol may prevent the buhddering to happen and leave the resin a more sticky state

M

mdTHC420

im unclear on how they smoked it; can imagine topped bowls or with a screen. i turned it from the sticky state of amber like hash by whipping it with a paper clip for a bit and heating it a bit. it melted faster in the amber hash form on my bowls than the budder.

i figured that what keeps hash from melting is plant material in it, so: hash that doesnt melt is lower grade with more plant material i think, or am i off on that?

E

edux10

hey all, easy question for you all: does the dry/cure matter when making bho? what is the best dryness to run sugar leaf trim at?

thanks

i keep hearing this and i keep hearing people that dont know what they are talking about answering.

answer is we need more research. I have sprayed wet weed and of course dry weed. I hear people swearing by wet weed, but we really need more people actually doing it to have a good answer.

M

mdTHC420

^^^more waxes,terpenes, etc. in budder. i think. Not actual leaf matter or anything.

im not going to say this isnt so because i really dont know, but does whipping it with a paper clip for half hour increase the waxes and terpenes somehow? i added nothing when making my amber hash into budder excet time and love.

Graywolf

Graywolf

It is all good! I extract from both fresh frozen and dry cured material using BHO. Both are delightful, but produce different product.

There is less oil per weight from fresh frozen, but about the same as dry cured if you account for the 75% weight reduction at curing.

It is very light in color and the taste profile is out of this world, with the turpeen flavor profiles darting this way and that like wild honey.

Our test panels uniformly rate it as the most tasty extraction by any process and the word "fresh" is most often used to describe it.

Interestingly, while quick wash alcohol extractions have on average been rated more floral and aromatic than BHO extractions, fresh BHO has been rated number one!

Interesting because fresh frozen QWET extractions were noticeably rated more bland and the least aromatic and tasty, as compared to the alkanes. Not bad, just least aromatic!

The significance of course is that cured alcohol extractions are otherwise uniformly rated by the panels as being more aromatic than the Alkane petroleum extractions.

I run most of my BHO extractions using cured material, simply because that is how I receive most of it. Most of my extractions are also from trim as opposed to bud.

Extracting using fresh is more process critical, but easy if you just paint by the numbers.

I have only done it using prime bud, but if you take both the fresh bud and butane to 0F, it locks up the water and produces a pristine product that you will fall in love with.

Cured BHO, on the other hand is still to die or commit mayhem and murder for, so we may be argueing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

To put it in perspective, sometimes when I savor either, my right leg just naturally jumps up and down like when you scratch a dog's good spot! Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort...............

M

mdTHC420

gray wolf thanks for the in depth reply. i guess now for the next harvest ill do a run of fresh, fresh and frozen for a day, and dryed for a week and see what results. i guess what im getting from u is that u get less from fresh simply because u cant get as much volume in the tube as dry? also, alcohol wash produces better smelling hash but people overall prefer the BHO?

thanks much

A

AlienBoyD7

Are ppl topping bowls or using a concentrate specific apparatus?

I think either precipitating the lipids in cold solution or performing a 2nd wash with alcohol may prevent the buhddering to happen and leave the resin a more sticky state

I remember in the 80's Torch had a BHO adapter he sold at his shop for a bong... lol... the AlienBoy never did that but my pal ,he was down with it.

Graywolf

Graywolf

i guess what im getting from u is that u get less from fresh simply because u cant get as much volume in the tube as dry? also, alcohol wash produces better smelling hash but people overall prefer the BHO?

thanks much

Correct on one, but I don't know that overall people prefer BHO, only that fresh frozen BHO got the highest marks for flavor.

Cured BHO, on the other hand tastes less floral than alcohol extractions and more hashy.

M

mdTHC420

hmmmm... well 10 god buds getting the chippity chop today and tomorrow so frozen, cured, and fresh i guess ill try a few cans of each way and see the results. i guess it really is up to each person as which they prefer. ive met people that wont even toutch hash let alone earwax because its to strong. thanks for the help wolf.

M

mdTHC420

so i tried running frozen trim, but it thawed a bit packing it, tried to refreeze it and used a 4x coffee filter instead of 2x but i still blew out the tubes because the water weakened the coffee filter. did i just fuk this up with there better ways out there for frozen? i think im just going to let everything dry out and crisp up before i run it.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Dude(md THC420(

You need a screen over the coffee filter, pack weed, put on coffee filter or two, put on stainless steel screen, put on hose clamp, tighten hose clamp, inject butane. Happy New Year

mal

M

mdTHC420

what i figured. i guess ill be running dryed for this reason, every dry run gets a double coffee filter with a zip tie and its good to go

C

Chronicale

id say that 90%of it all has to do with the product u start with i use an okief tube which holds around 14 grams of trim/buds, from that with the right staring product(usually my homegrown laden with trichomes) i have gotten anywhere from 2 to 4 sometimes 5 grams using as many as 4 cans of butane(usually when there are buds in there). from ready other posts on here it seems i am the only one to get such results, but i have noticed different results using bud and or trim grown by others, usually resulting in lesser yeilds. thats why my rule of thumb is your extract can only be as good as the product you START with. peace out, Chronicale.

Top Bottom