Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

I guess ot depends on from what temp......to what temp.....

As far as quality, there's strength/THC quality, and all the other aspects, smell, flavor, etc..... if you're saying you've smoked such a variety of both (good) LED grown and non-LED grown to make that jufgement.....with so many other factors at play.... well, I certainly don't want to take away from your personal experiences and preferences. But different strains, LEDs 2016? 2022? How strong and good are these lights? Etc, etc, etc. .

It's all good. All of this talk is only making me more curious and more excited to start.
It’s not so much the strength of the light…but rather the missing spectrums such as IR. I would say the first 20 years of me smoking was all MH, HID, and some outdoor of course…then LED started happening recently and there is a big difference. Mostly what I notice is flavors and terps are usually more complex and the bud is stronger smelling when grown under HID, less foxtail buds (never saw this until LED). But unfortunately theres too much power consumption, heat (easier to add than take away) and the bulb or ballast can explode or crap out mid grow (instead of just losing a few diodes or 1 driver) or start a fire… If I had an HID bulb explode with budding plants, how would you ever get the tiny slivers of glass out of all the buds…I just figured the cons outweighed the pros for me right now, but for pure quality I would go HID or greenhouse with HID supplement.

This does relate to Skunk too…because even if you don’t view yourself as a connoisseur, if you’re in a cannabis thread dedicated to a specific cultivar for it’s terpene or volatile sulfur compound profile…you sir, are a connoisseur, whether you like it or not.

Btw the second part was just a general statement, not directed towards anyone…just, all of us.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

It’s not so much the strength of the light…but rather the missing spectrums such as IR. I would say the first 20 years of me smoking was all MH, HID, and some outdoor of course…then LED started happening recently and there is a big difference. Mostly what I notice is flavors and terps are usually more complex and the bud is stronger smelling when grown under HID, less foxtail buds (never saw this until LED). But unfortunately theres too much power consumption, heat (easier to add than take away) and the bulb or ballast can explode or crap out mid grow (instead of just losing a few diodes or 1 driver) or start a fire… If I had an HID bulb explode with budding plants, how would you ever get the tiny slivers of glass out of all the buds…I just figured the cons outweighed the pros for me right now, but for pure quality I would go HID or greenhouse with HID supplement.

This does relate to Skunk too…because even if you don’t view yourself as a connoisseur, if you’re in a cannabis thread dedicated to a specific cultivar for it’s terpene or volatile sulfur compound profile…you sir, are a connoisseur, whether you like it or not.

Btw the second part was just a general statement, not directed towards anyone…just, all of us.
I agree with you that the overall terpene profile from HID/MH is better than with LED. But I have noticed with my high end LED that if done right it may not be quite as good but it’s dam close. And as you mentioned the pros of the LED such as efficiency and longevity do outweigh the cons of the HID/MH. So in the end due to our electricity monopoly here in CA you gotta do what you gotta do. It would be great to have a few high end LED boards and also maybe 1 HID in the middle. A combo if you will. That way you get best of both worlds.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
The idea of switching to LED's to then Add heaters seems nuts. I spent 2 years converting to LED's only to then realize my Leaf Surface Temperatures were under par! Pun Intended after I recognized it.

Seriously though I am glad I didn't get rid of My CMH's. I will be adding one 315 between 2 Scorpion Diablos (Wintertime NorthEast) and hope that does the trick. I will not know how much of the issues I am dealing with nutritionally are due to Low LST until I get them back closer to 80-82? However I seem to get very healthy plants as low as 74-75 LST in Veg But when I switch into flowering is when I notice some issues that may be related to poor transpiration/transport of Nutrients?

I can not find a lot of info on the effect of High Light Low Temperatures...
Well, we're gonna find out.......of course, I intrigued with the concept of LEDs + supplemental HIDs. That could be a very nice mix. Maybe a small but effective HPS for flowering too?

I know I'm going to have enough light, no doubt about that, and I like the full spectrum nature of HLGs Quantum boards, especially the combo of the Diablo + Rspec. I know the temps will certainly stay above 70, probably closer to 75. I'll probably need to keep them off the colder floor though. It's down there that could be an issue so I'm going to have to see how that goes.

Maybe I'll run a fan above the lights that blows the warmer air down, at least when things get too cold at the roots level.

The good thing about this "problem" is that it's easy to detect and easy to fix.....

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Well, we're gonna find out.......of course, I intrigued with the concept of LEDs + supplemental HIDs. That could be a very nice mix. Maybe a small but effective HPS for flowering too?

I know I'm going to have enough light, no doubt about that, and I like the full spectrum nature of HLGs Quantum boards, especially the combo of the Diablo + Rspec. I know the temps will certainly stay above 70, probably closer to 75. I'll probably need to keep them off the colder floor though. It's down there that could be an issue so I'm going to have to see how that goes.

Maybe I'll run a fan above the lights that blows the warmer air down, at least when things get too cold at the roots level.

The good thing about this "problem" is that it's easy to detect and easy to fix.....
You can use a seedling heat mat. Works perfectly

K

KenKenaf

From what I was just recently reading the Diesal Gas smelling Molecule are actually something different than Terpenes! Ayone know anything about this. I will find the article if you have yet to encounter this idea!

Fuels are alkanes and alkenes. Limonene is an alkene, from cyclohexene. Alkenes, carboxylics, thiols can also be terpenes. Which makes the word terpene meaningless. The word terpene is literally meaningless in Cannabis context. It's likely saying 'bro this shit is moleculed out, so moleculey. I breed for molecules'.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
You can use a seedling heat mat. Works perfectly
I might have to go beyond that. The floor gets and stays pretty cold.... we have long, rough winters up here. It often gets down to 0 or below at night.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Yeah probably a little space heater or maybe a big heating blanket?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Fuels are alkanes and alkenes. Limonene is an alkene, from cyclohexene. Alkenes, carboxylics, thiols can also be terpenes. Which makes the word terpene meaningless. The word terpene is literally meaningless in Cannabis context. It's likely saying 'bro this shit is moleculed out, so moleculey. I breed for molecules'.
Language can be a funny thing. There are wirds and phrases that might be technically "wrong", but for the most part, we know what we mean when we use them. Try telling people you know what the bible says.....or the constitution.....

For the most part, when we all say "terpenes", we mean the chemicals, molecules, compounds.......that give off aromas. Sure, there may be aromas that aren't from terpenes. That's good, that means there's even more variables and combinations for us to explore, discover, and work.

"Gas/Fuel" seems to be the current trend in what people are looking for, branching off from the "Diesel" craze. Sour, cookies, cake, pine, berries, vanilla/chocolate, banana.......then the more sophisticated ones......sandalwood, rose, red wine......and of course, the "stinky", skunk, rotting meat, funk.......

Are the possibilities endless? Or maybe like craft beer, where we have Pilsner, stout, porter, belgian Triples, Quads, Sours, IPAs......every year they seem to develop new strains of hops, which is actually a distant relative of cannabis? Given all of that, the possibilities with beer are sorta endless. There's going to be a limit of acceptable ranges and combinations. I like funky, sour, "wild" ales. Many of these are acquired tastes. Or 11%+ Stouts that taste like chocolate, coffee........

But I'll never want a beer that tastes like sardined, or ravioli..... ;)

I'm sure we're all down for learning more about what makes cannabis smells and flavors. The more we know, the more we can work them. I wonder if one day someone can mix some chemicals together that we can smell, and when the right combination triggers our memory of say, original Skunk #1, and we say "Yes! That's it!", they then produce seeds that will grow weed that smells exactly like it. Or we say "I want the smell of Bananas, berries, a little sour and funky....", and we then get seeds that grow into exactly that.

Right now I'm most interested in bananas, and pine (not together). I've never had weed that smells like bananas, that intrigues me. I also want that piney sweetness that was the early sinsemilla........

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Your talking about different compounds. One is naturally occurring, the other is a chemical by product. Just like mercury in fish is natural. Chemical mercury is poisonous.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Language can be a funny thing. There are wirds and phrases that might be technically "wrong", but for the most part, we know what we mean when we use them. Try telling people you know what the bible says.....or the constitution.....

For the most part, when we all say "terpenes", we mean the chemicals, molecules, compounds.......that give off aromas. Sure, there may be aromas that aren't from terpenes. That's good, that means there's even more variables and combinations for us to explore, discover, and work.

"Gas/Fuel" seems to be the current trend in what people are looking for, branching off from the "Diesel" craze. Sour, cookies, cake, pine, berries, vanilla/chocolate, banana.......then the more sophisticated ones......sandalwood, rose, red wine......and of course, the "stinky", skunk, rotting meat, funk.......

Are the possibilities endless? Or maybe like craft beer, where we have Pilsner, stout, porter, belgian Triples, Quads, Sours, IPAs......every year they seem to develop new strains of hops, which is actually a distant relative of cannabis? Given all of that, the possibilities with beer are sorta endless. There's going to be a limit of acceptable ranges and combinations. I like funky, sour, "wild" ales. Many of these are acquired tastes. Or 11%+ Stouts that taste like chocolate, coffee........

But I'll never want a beer that tastes like sardined, or ravioli..... ;)

I'm sure we're all down for learning more about what makes cannabis smells and flavors. The more we know, the more we can work them. I wonder if one day someone can mix some chemicals together that we can smell, and when the right combination triggers our memory of say, original Skunk #1, and we say "Yes! That's it!", they then produce seeds that will grow weed that smells exactly like it. Or we say "I want the smell of Bananas, berries, a little sour and funky....", and we then get seeds that grow into exactly that.

Right now I'm most interested in bananas, and pine (not together). I've never had weed that smells like bananas, that intrigues me. I also want that piney sweetness that was the early sinsemilla........
Oregon kid cut of Banana Og is straight bananas 🤣 literally lol

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Oregon Kid? Yes that's one strain I was looking at. Then there's the ones that are like "Banana cyclone explosion" with various banana names crossed with each other......

And yet Banana OG might still be the best.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Oregon Kid? Yes that's one strain I was looking at. Then there's the ones that are like "Banana cyclone explosion" with various banana names crossed with each other......

And yet Banana OG might still be the best.
This looks like the only banana og cross they have at the moment. Looks fire 🔥. In house genetics always has some 🔥
Screenshot 20230116 152325 118
Screenshot 20230116 152406 778

Top Bottom