Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldmanmurph

oldmanmurph

If they are throwing pistils early, should be an early finisher then. Your growing the 70's Afghani right? Those ladies can actually finish in 56-60 days... Usually I take most to 62 because the bud structure gets wicked nice and more plump, imo.
Which 70’s afghan if I may ask as I recall in the 70’s there were several afghanis floating around - I vaguely remember the PNW afghani and if my memory serves me correctly there was a strain that we bought called afghanica who knows was so long ago may have been the same strain

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Can someone please put skunk and diesel i.e. petrol gassiness into Context together are they part of the same family are they different are they both volatile sulfur compounds? Is there any interchangeability here? Who’s got the skunkiest Least fruity seeds right now? Someone already stole the name roadkill skunk for a strain doesn’t make it any easier

D

DrToboggan

Can someone please put skunk and diesel i.e. petrol gassiness into Context together are they part of the same family are they different are they both volatile sulfur compounds? Is there any interchangeability here? Who’s got the skunkiest Least fruity seeds right now? Someone already stole the name roadkill skunk for a strain doesn’t make it any easier
I don’t know definitively, but I believe there is some overlap in perceived “petrol” and “skunk”. There is a paper published in the ACS a few years ago that quantitatively and qualitatively supports thiols and thioethers/disulfides as responsible for the “skunky” smell of tested cannabis cultivars.

I don’t know about most “skunky” yet, my stuff just started flowering. But I can say nothing I am running right now is remotely fruity. All BO, dirty laundry, pungent, and skunky. Sounds gross, but I love it!

Look at these beautiful Maruf black leaves growing in a solo cup (suspected male)! Pungent stem rub, similar to the Thousand Oaks f5 male.

A7DFA465 1389 4159 B15D 99250530E42D

oldmanmurph

oldmanmurph

I don’t know definitively, but I believe there is some overlap in perceived “petrol” and “skunk”. There is a paper published in the ACS a few years ago that quantitatively and qualitatively supports thiols and thioethers/disulfides as responsible for the “skunky” smell of tested cannabis cultivars.

I don’t know about most “skunky” yet, my stuff just started flowering. But I can say nothing I am running right now is remotely fruity. All BO, dirty laundry, pungent, and skunky. Sounds gross, but I love it!

Look at these beautiful Maruf black leaves growing in a solo cup (suspected male)! Pungent stem rub, similar to the Thousand Oaks f5 male.

View attachment 1330278
I read that too - here in is where see the problem with skunk beginning with Sam the skunkman. Sam had been working with skunk long before Neville got his hands on her - it’s my belief that Sam assumed or was told that no one wants weed that smells like a skunk - I believe Sam selected for several generation breeders the fruitier scented phenos and kept crossing the seeds of the new generation with the prior years until most of the skunkiness was bred out selectively in lieu of sweeter aromas tastes terpene profile

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Grow update fellas. Unfortunately this whole past year has been plagued with issue for me and this current grow proved to be no different. So I was weeks into the flower phase of my recent skunk pheno hunt and I had an accidental incident that proved to be a killer. About a week ago I was working in the garage and I had to unplug the timer for my 4x4 tent. Somehow when I went to plug the timer back in I accidentally switched the unit into the “On” mode without realizing it. My light was left on 24hr for a little over a day before realized it. I switched it back in 12/12 but it was too late. The damage was done. I just went out in the garage right now and realized that one of the 92 skunks in the back corner went fully into Herm. It threw clusters of pollen balls out and fertilized the whole tent. Super bummer months of time and energy wasted. Im beginning to realize that all of this old vintage skunk stuff is extremely fragile. The genetics are virtually all bottlenecked which makes these strains extremely temperamental to environment. This time it was my mistake however if I were running any of my proven “non-skunk” gear this wouldn’t have happened. I guess it’s all just part of the endless skunk hunt experience. One of these days hopefully I will find something that’s skunky and also resilient. Back to the drawing board for now.

AF31551C D09D 48FA 9CFA 515F7C16005D

D

DrToboggan

Grow update fellas. Unfortunately this whole past year has been plagued with issue for me and this current grow proved to be no different. So I was weeks into the flower phase of my recent skunk pheno hunt and I had an accidental incident that proved to be a killer. About a week ago I was working in the garage and I had to unplug the timer for my 4x4 tent. Somehow when I went to plug the timer back in I accidentally switched the unit into the “On” mode without realizing it. My light was left on 24hr for a little over a day before realized it. I switched it back in 12/12 but it was too late. The damage was done. I just went out in the garage right now and realized that one of the 92 skunks in the back corner went fully into Herm. It threw clusters of pollen balls out and fertilized the whole tent. Super bummer months of time and energy wasted. Im beginning to realize that all of this old vintage skunk stuff is extremely fragile. The genetics are virtually all bottlenecked which makes these strains extremely temperamental to environment. This time it was my mistake however if I were running any of my proven “non-skunk” gear this wouldn’t have happened. I guess it’s all just part of the endless skunk hunt experience. One of these days hopefully I will find something that’s skunky and also resilient. Back to the drawing board for now.

View attachment 1330377
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but thank you for sharing. I’d you’d like, I’d be happy to share my seeds once this run is done.

I’ll be making F6 out of the Thousand Oaks, and crossing the stinky TO F5 male with gh cheese female. I also will hopefully have some of the Maruf black seeds. The TO F5 seems pretty abuse tolerant so far. It’s to early for me to say anything about the other strains so far.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but thank you for sharing. I’d you’d like, I’d be happy to share my seeds once this run is done.

I’ll be making F6 out of the Thousand Oaks, and crossing the stinky TO F5 male with gh cheese female. I also will hopefully have some of the Maruf black seeds. The TO F5 seems pretty abuse tolerant so far. It’s to early for me to say anything about the other strains so far.
Thanks man and I appreciate the offer. I actually have tons of other seeds that I can pop many other skunks that I haven't even ran yet. its just a bummer on the timeline. This was really my last grow for a while cuz I have a 3yo kid and my wife is 5 months pregnant gonna have a newborn this summer so I was really hoping I could get one last successful grow in before the new baby is born. There is no way Im gonna have the time to dedicate to a full scale new grow at the same time we have a newborn. Ive been through it once already and know how the sleepless nights can really wipe you out. Its OK I will shake it off the family comes first and my Cannabis hobby is an afterthought in comparison to my main priorities. I will just need to take a grow break for a while and pick it back up sometime in 2024 once things are easier and I can devote more time. Im contemplating doing an outdoor run this summer cuz that is much less work I might be able to do that with the new baby around. Thinking about maybe keeping it organic with simple water and very little additives. If I do a handful of plants outside and start them a bit late they will stay smaller. Top the shit out of them and keep them short. Let it blast just to see what happens and if I have to neglect them a bit at times then oh well. No biggie. We will see what happens.

oldmanmurph

oldmanmurph

View attachment 1330377
Yeah a lot of the old school genetics if you just look at them the wrong way they herm. If you need I have lots of different skunk seed stock - even tho most would say chuck the beans I’d keep them myself - granted herms tend to grow herms in many cases but given that many old school strains do have herm tendency - if it were my room I’d ride it out and collect beans

oldmanmurph

oldmanmurph

Yeah a lot of the old school genetics if you just look at them the wrong way they herm. If you need I have lots of different skunk seed stock - even tho most would say chuck the beans I’d keep them myself - granted herms tend to grow herms in many cases but given that many old school strains do have herm tendency - if it were my room I’d ride it out and collect beans
Real bummer tho

7247FD84 7855 4566 A45E 510FF3EEE9D4
I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Damn man I'm really sorry to hear that but If I have a feeling I know what caused your herm. The lights is a major contributing factor no doubt but if you look closely at the picture you provided, those plant look very stressed. There is clearly a nitrogen toxicity going on with these curling leaves I circled. I'm not sure if those spots are rusty colored or not but to me it looks like a calcium deficiency. I do see what could be pollen but a couple of those spots look straight orange to me. Maybe I'm mistaken about the spots coloration, however with the nitrogen toxicity, possible calcium deficiency and light situation, and the plant being generally unhealthy, I would say all of those stressors combined is what done it. I would even check for spider mites just to make sure. The Skunk line is a little more fragile than most but all those factors combined with whatever else is going on, I would say, could easily cause a hermie issue with most lines.
Screenshot 20230214 142555 057

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

I also was going to do a write up on the ‘92 skunks. Well the next generation labeled “2020 skunk” I ended up with 16 out of 17 males!😬

So I decided to take the stinkiest smelling stem rubbed male and the lone female and will make sexy time for some seeds. We’ll see how those come out.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Damn man I'm really sorry to hear that but If I have a feeling I know what caused your herm. The lights is a major contributing factor no doubt but if you look closely at the picture you provided, those plant look very stressed. There is clearly a nitrogen toxicity going on with these curling leaves I circled. I'm not sure if those spots are rusty colored or not but to me it looks like a calcium deficiency. I do see what could be pollen but a couple of those spots look straight orange to me. Maybe I'm mistaken about the spots coloration, however with the nitrogen toxicity, possible calcium deficiency and light situation, and the plant being generally unhealthy, I would say all of those stressors combined is what done it. I would even check for spider mites just to make sure. The Skunk line is a little more fragile than most but all those factors combined with whatever else is going on, I would say, could easily cause a hermie issue with most lines. View attachment 1331090
Yes these plants have been very sensitive every step of the way. Not very forgiving with anything. Nutrients, light, pests you name it I have had problems with it. Seems to be the case with most vintage strains I have ran especially the older skunks.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

It’s all good I will have to simply try again. Once any tiny issues come up with these older vintage strains it’s very tricky to pull them back to full health. Your usually better off just chopping and starting over which is what I probably should have done. LEDs are very tricky I’m starting to regret spending the money on it I would have been better off sticking with HID/Halide in retrospect. Especially for the skunks the more modern strains do better with LED but not the older stuff. My next run is gonna be 100% outdoor I’m getting sick of finicky plants under the LEDs.

oldmanmurph

oldmanmurph

I’m pollinating at the beginning of next month I’ll send you a grip of my ak47/SS it’s very stable in 30 plus years of running her ( I’ve only done open pollinations to preserve the genetics ( 6 times in 30 plus years ) I have never caught a herm, she is highly mold a pest resistant, and I need two 8 x30 “ carbon filters on can fans in an 9 x 6 room just so the neighbors don’t know but I also run an ona container with a fan blowing thru the exhaust so yeah she’s old school stinky / acrid / petrol / burnt rubber. but give me about40-60 days and I’ll share the love.

D

DrToboggan

Damn man I'm really sorry to hear that but If I have a feeling I know what caused your herm. The lights is a major contributing factor no doubt but if you look closely at the picture you provided, those plant look very stressed. There is clearly a nitrogen toxicity going on with these curling leaves I circled. I'm not sure if those spots are rusty colored or not but to me it looks like a calcium deficiency. I do see what could be pollen but a couple of those spots look straight orange to me. Maybe I'm mistaken about the spots coloration, however with the nitrogen toxicity, possible calcium deficiency and light situation, and the plant being generally unhealthy, I would say all of those stressors combined is what done it. I would even check for spider mites just to make sure. The Skunk line is a little more fragile than most but all those factors combined with whatever else is going on, I would say, could easily cause a hermie issue with most lines. View attachment 1331090
Yeah, I tend to agree. I am far from an expert, but I would say your plants are pretty easy to grow (in my conditions). I’m running soil, with home amendments, in solo cups, with some of the worst tap water (pH corrected) in the nation.

Again, I’m a complete noob, but I love gardening in general so I may be a bit biased. It’s still too early for me to make any definitive statements on the skunk run, but I’m very pleased so far.

D

DrToboggan

Brief update:

Things are going well in the tent.

71F01BBD EA32 4F55 A6D1 648E3829F8F1

Oldschoolchronic Kentucky red hair pheno. Notice the weird leaf structure.
C29ECCF9 0EEC 4BF1 A5EA 26F66C5175EA

I_GROW_SKUNK female

6B6F7CCF 23EA 451F 821F 8D326D6C9AF1

Maruf landrace
9B19B943 FB5A 464D 95F3 8F3EDC096771

I_GROW_SKUNK 70s afghani female
9DB7E113 18CD 47FF 84DF A65FD038CD4B

2nd Maruf landrace

I also harvest a boat load of pollen from the Thousand Oaks F5 (stinky) male, and 70s afghani male.

More to come shortly.

strider26554

strider26554

I have an old school skunk strain that i am growing for the last ten years that almost has gotten stronger evry year, the smell of you would call it that, my ex wife calls it the stench of stench,has overtones of decaying large male cat carcasses, and overlayed with heavy funk sh
kunk armpits, with some very heavy fuelish type burning nylon sickly sweet and the same time rancidly sour, when cured it has a very heavy and deep odor of piss and something toxic like a mustard gas or something.

Top Bottom