Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Recreate what? There's Skunk #1, which died out, no pun intended, decades ago, and all the various twists, changes, attempts, comical exaggerations.......
no the ranted strain they talk about

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

why would i want to recreate skunk when i have it in my blue cheese

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
no the ranted strain they talk about
Do you mean rancid? There's a blurry line in the history of it. In the 80s whatever people called it, they probably got their hands on the original Skunk variety, maybe after a few generations changed it a little, or even hybrids of it. What people called it is what adds to confusion, ss well as descriptions. "Death", "Rotting meat", "Roadkill", whatever.......or describing it as peeling the paint off your car.......there was only one Skunk #1, then there were offshoots and hybrids, then the gene pool became diluted, and the strain was lost. If anyone has it it would have to be seeds that have been properly stored fot a very long time.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Do you mean rancid? There's a blurry line in the history of it. In the 80s whatever people called it, they probably got their hands on the original Skunk variety, maybe after a few generations changed it a little, or even hybrids of it. What people called it is what adds to confusion, ss well as descriptions. "Death", "Rotting meat", "Roadkill", whatever.......or describing it as peeling the paint off your car.......there was only one Skunk #1, then there were offshoots and hybrids, then the gene pool became diluted, and the strain was lost. If anyone has it it would have to be seeds that have been properly stored fot a very long time.
So from what I understand, roadkill skunk and skunk #1 are not the same plants. Also, I was referring to an indica-leaning hybrid that smells of rancid, rotten vegetables and is very similar to a Skunk. Also, to refer to Skunk #1 as lost no way. Maybe roadkill skunk, but not skunk #1. There are certain types of clone-only strains that originate from 1990s stock. Skunk #1 Cheese is one of them. To me, skunk is the stuff that breaks through filters. and is the smelliest of strains. It also grows like a 50/50 hybrid.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
So from what I understand, roadkill skunk and skunk #1 are not the same plants. Also, I was referring to an indica-leaning hybrid that smells of rancid, rotten vegetables and is very similar to a Skunk. Also, to refer to Skunk #1 as lost no way. Maybe roadkill skunk, but not skunk #1. There are certain types of clone-only strains that originate from 1990s stock. Skunk #1 Cheese is one of them. To me, skunk is the stuff that breaks through filters. and is the smelliest of strains. It also grows like a 50/50 hybrid.
I'm going to disagree that Skunk #1 is still around. It was worked, changed, sweetened up......there are plenty of "stinky" varieties, there may even be some that are reminiscent of SK #1, but unless someone literally saved the original genetics from at least 30 years ago.......it is lost.

It never smelled like cheese, or garlic, or death, or rotten meat....it smelled like a perfumey skunk the animal.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

I'm going to disagree that Skunk #1 is still around. It was worked, changed, sweetened up......there are plenty of "stinky" varieties, there may even be some that are reminiscent of SK #1, but unless someone literally saved the original genetics from at least 30 years ago.......it is lost.

It never smelled like cheese, or garlic, or death, or rotten meat....it smelled like a perfumey skunk the animal.
I think your version of skunk and my take are two totally different skunks. The one I talk about has no sweetness or perfume whatsoever; it's a full-on rantid skunk that lingers way after being smoked and will reek the place of 1 spliff. It's also sticky and doesn't dry well. and you will smell it through a bag.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I think your version of skunk and my take are two totally different skunks. The one I talk about has no sweetness or perfume whatsoever; it's a full-on rantid skunk that lingers way after being smoked and will reek the place of 1 spliff. It's also sticky and doesn't dry well. and you will smell it through a bag.
It's not a version. The original Skunk #1 had perfumey elements if picked early, and more deep skunk smell if picked later. These aren't my descriptions, but descriptions from the Seed Bank back in the 80s. I know because I ordered it from Nevil's seed bank and grew it.

These are polaroids I took 35 years ago.

20181204 112752
20181204 112742
20181204 112729
Last edited:
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

View attachment 2002104
and I'll show the bud in earlier form on this death by terps roadkill that caused this nose eye and throat burn...this singular bud caused the sensation and I've sat and looked at it for ages trying to work out how it manages to create a defense that sits as a vapour column in the air and upon ingestion and getting close,the air surrounding the plant has an acidic burning vapour going on..lolol..what plant on earth does that?..it does look extremely white in pistil growth but nothing springs out of the ordinary when you look at it..underneath the thicket of pistils is a neon green almost kush like rock hard budset..get close to it and it repels you instantly..its the best plant defense against attack I've ever seen..you only have to get near and it warns you...that bud has physically hurt 2 ppl already..only mild forms of burn smelling the bud...but I'm oldschool..I don't talk shit to ppl...it sits with an airborne bubble of extreme deathly vapour in a gaseous form and if vapours are doing that to ppl just getting near,this has never been seen in my history growing or been reported anywhere to a degree that I took notice...lolol.

somethings going on!!!!!View attachment 2002114
Thats it bro! What you are describing is spot on. That literal eye burning ammonia bleach like effect that straight gags you out. Im fairly certain that is the Esther Alcohol's gassing off. I have smelled that back in the day only a few times once was in an oldschool Trainwreck skunk cross and the other time I think it was a 1990s Catpiss from San Diego. Those Ester Alcohol genetics originated from the grandparent genes that came over way back in the day. The original Skunks had the Esther genetics but it got bred into a lot of different strains over the decades. Original Skunk that these older guys on here are always talking about didn't have the pissy ammonia blend it was straight skunk spray. However I am confident that there were different variations of Ester genetics floating around back then and some of them had a more "Death" vibe. It sounds like you found a really good one because that ammonia bleach death vibe is killer. Back in the day me and my friend would call that the "sting" because it will literally sting your nose when you smell a nug close. It sends your nose for a zinger and tickles your brain. 👌 😎

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Thats it bro! What you are describing is spot on. That literal eye burning ammonia bleach like effect that straight gags you out. Im fairly certain that is the Esther Alcohol's gassing off. I have smelled that back in the day only a few times once was in an oldschool Trainwreck skunk cross and the other time I think it was a 1990s Catpiss from San Diego. Those Ester Alcohol genetics originated from the grandparent genes that came over way back in the day. The original Skunks had the Esther genetics but it got bred into a lot of different strains over the decades. Original Skunk that these older guys on here are always talking about didn't have the pissy ammonia blend it was straight skunk spray. However I am confident that there were different variations of Ester genetics floating around back then and some of them had a more "Death" vibe. It sounds like you found a really good one because that ammonia bleach death vibe is killer. Back in the day me and my friend would call that the "sting" because it will literally sting your nose when you smell a nug close. It sends your nose for a zinger and tickles your brain. 👌 😎
It may have melted the skin off of your skull and smelled like the most rancid dead meat soaked in cat piss and all the superlatives you can come up with........and that's fine. I don't deny that there was some really strong, acrid. bad smelling weed. It's just that it was not the original Skunk #1.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

It's not a version. The original Skunk #1 had perfumey elements if picked early, and more deep skunk smell if picked later. These aren't my descriptions, but descriptions from the Seed Bank back in the 80s. I know because I ordered it from Nevil's seed bank and grew it.

These are polaroids I took 35 years ago.
Right, so because you have grown the original stock, Skunk #1, and youve not seen one like it since, this means no one else has Skunk #1. Come on, skunk1# is a cross of three different landrace strains, which means they will express different phenotypes. I'm sure there have been hundreds of different phenotypes and crosses with this strain over the years. Also, the pictures you post look different from the skunks I've seen. The skunks I've seen are 50/50 indica and sativa. leaf with indica hight

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Right, so because you have grown the original stock, Skunk #1, and youve not seen one like it since, this means no one else has Skunk #1. Come on, skunk1# is a cross of three different landrace strains, which means they will express different phenotypes. I'm sure there have been hundreds of different phenotypes and crosses with this strain over the years. Also, the pictures you post look different from the skunks I've seen. The skunks I've seen are 50/50 indica and sativa. leaf with indica hight
No, it's certainly possible that someone out there has had the original genetics saved and stored properly in their fridge or freezer for decades........it was originally a multi-variety hybrid but inbred and stabilized. And it was more on the Sativa side, not 50/50. You could propose that I'm lying, and the pictures aren't of Skunk #1, in the 80s, ordered from Nevil's seed bank.....

Also in the pictures are Northern Lights #5, same source.

I would love to get it again. If anyone can point the way I'm all ears.... ;)

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Here's the 1987 cataligue, the exact one I ordered from....Skunk #1 in a greehouse......not Indica height.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I haven't been a fan of the cheeses, but I dig the lime green leaves. Skunk leaves could get this mottled look that could be confused for nitrogen deficiency. It was just the genetics. The leaves looked like weapons and the flowers were spongy. Unfortunately I only had a 3' x 5' closet, 3 and 5 gallon pots, and a 400w halide, so they had to be kept small. But they could. Or, outdoors it could be an intimidating monster.

There's 1 "Skunk" plant right now that's showing some mottled, green and lime green older fan leaves. There's another one that's just lighter overall. It's going to take another 2, 4 weeks before I can tell how close any of them are and which ones' seeds will be worth the next round. I hit all the major oversees seed companies' "skunk #1", and I have to keep putting this in quotes because I'm very skeptical they deserve that classic name. But Dutch Passion, Sensi Seeds, MSNL, Herbie's......I hit all the ones that have been around a long time. There are even the same breeders but from different companies. Like Dutch Passion and Sensi.....they're sold by more than one company, so even within the same varieties they could be quite different.

There are a few small US sellers, even individuals who claim to have the "real" Skunk. After I run through all of the big companies and cross a few worthy candidates I'll try these others.

Last edited:
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

I haven't been a fan of the cheeses, but I dig the lime green leaves. Skunk leaves could get this mottled look that could be confused for nitrogen deficiency. It was just the genetics. The leaves looked like weapons and the flowers were spongy. Unfortunately I only had a 3' x 5' closet, 3 and 5 gallon pots, and a 400w halide, so they had to be kept small. But they could. Or, outdoors it could be an intimidating monster.
yeh they look totally different. the original skunks you posted above look more indica different leaf fingers then the 50/50 leafs fingers i post above

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

Skunk plant has been around since the 70's. Skunk #1 was a combination of the Skunk plant with something else. The Skunk plant changed everything. It was able to be grown in almost every state and became a threat to the law for that very reason. It would be great to go back in time to locate the origins. Ohio Valley, Kentucky, West Virginia.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

It may have melted the skin off of your skull and smelled like the most rancid dead meat soaked in cat piss and all the superlatives you can come up with........and that's fine. I don't deny that there was some really strong, acrid. bad smelling weed. It's just that it was not the original Skunk #1.
Yes I understand what your saying. But the point that Im trying to make here and the entire reason why I started this thread in the first place is to try to get everyone to draw the connection between "Road Kill Skunk" and Ester Alcohols. I'm 100% convinced that the plant based Ester alcohols are the key to resurrecting RKS. Kevin Jodrey talks about this exclusively in the videos I included in post #1 in this thread. Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater guys just hear me out for two seconds before you dismiss what Im saying here. Cannabis is a very complex plant and there is a whole spectrum of terpenes and compounds that the plants can create. One of the lost "spectrums" of cannabis that is all but gone now are the Ester Alcohols that got bred out back in the 90s. These plant based Alcohols that the plants produce are extremely volatile and not limited to just one smell. Like I mentioned before there is a "spectrum" of alcohol based compounds that the plants can create and there will be different smells given off based upon phenotypes and other various differences. The original Skunk #1 from back in the 80s that you keep referencing in this thread definitely had these Ester Alcohols in the genes.

That original Skunk #1 from back in the day was likely pheno hunted by breeders. They went through many different Ester producing plants until someone finally found the one that exclusively produced the "pure skunk" Ester smell. No ammonia and no piss and no bleach or death just the pure isolated skunk spray Ester smell. Then they stabilized it in seed form. Now all this being said in order to resurrect the original RKS from decades back someone has to start finding old strains that have that Ester Alcohol in their genes. You gotta start pollen splashing various Ester specimens then start popping a whole shit load of seeds. Many of the progeny will have Ester smells like Ammonia and Death and Bleach and other volatile aromas but the idea is to keep hunting the phenotypes until you find one that ONLY exhibits the "Pure Skunk Spray" Ester compound. Do you get my point? This is why Im excited when I hear guys like Vegguerilla say that they found a "Eye Burning" specimen. It's because even though it may not be "True Skunk #1" and even though many people will dismiss it I personally believe that its starting to get close to the real RKS. It's just a matter of time before someone keeps fucking around with those Ester Alcohols and finally isolates it again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom