Rockwool to Hydro DWC - time to move?

• Thread starter ispy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

do i just let the leaves fall off on the bottom or should i trim them at some point? was not sure if they rob nutrients but have no hope
So they are reserves of fuel for the plants growing process. I leave them until all the green in them is gone. The plant will grow with or without them, just as long as you have nutrient uptake. Totally up to you.

I just want lots of leafs so i can absorb as much light as possible. So if the leafs dead, it dont matter if u take it off or leave it on.

I

ispy

So they are reserves of fuel for the plants growing process. I leave them until all the green in them is gone. The plant will grow with or without them, just as long as you have nutrient uptake. Totally up to you.

I just want lots of leafs so i can absorb as much light as possible. So if the leafs dead, it dont matter if u take it off or leave it on.
I trimmed the dying ones underneath. They were bugging me. Cover off for measurements and photo.

I

ispy

question on Hydoguard. should i add some weekly regardless due to recent root root?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

question on Hydoguard. should i add some weekly regardless due to recent root root?
It wont hurt to do double the dose for a while. Once the roots are established so is the colonies. I only have to add it at the start because im figuring out how to do this better as time goes on.

I

ispy

Seems to be going fine. Added some hydroguard and a bit of ph down. PPMs had dropped from 315 - 220. back to ~275 with addition. Color of roots is not accurate. I think it was angle I took the picture. They are as white as previous post with no browning or slime. Second plant - roots have yet to come out of netpot. It is progressing well based on everything else.

I

ispy

looking good now - what ended up being the issue ?
Thanks. Honestly I'd say just my lack of knowledge and experience in this area. Started with an upside down root in rockwool, then he went kinda mutant looking, and some root rot. @Cashmeh has been gracious to guide me along and help me out with my issues and it appears to be paying off.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Thanks. Honestly I'd say just my lack of knowledge and experience in this area. Started with an upside down root in rockwool, then he went kinda mutant looking, and some root rot. @Cashmeh has been gracious to guide me along and help me out with my issues and it appears to be paying off.
Your catching on quick and its pretty impressive. I imagine this grow will blow your mind once it gets up and going. What kind of light was you using again in how big of a space?

I

ispy

Your catching on quick and its pretty impressive. I imagine this grow will blow your mind once it gets up and going. What kind of light was you using again in how big of a space?
Thanks. I appreciate all your help. It is an HLG 225. It is about a 3x6 closet. I have them pushed to one side directly under the light.

I

ispy

@Cashmeh, looks even better but i am worried about the small one. Everything checked good on it in terms of PH and PPMS. Added some nutrients today but the last couple of days it has started this droop. One thing to note, no tap root has extruded from netpot. It has a tad of the slime starting and I have been adding Hydroguard to it as well. I have the water up past bottom of netpot and had previously lowered it into the rocks per someone's suggestion. When I did that, the tap root had not even come out of the rockwool. Forget exact date but been a couple of weeks at least.

Current PPM is about 393 and PH 5+-6. Same light as the other.
Thanks

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

@Cashmeh, looks even better but i am worried about the small one. Everything checked good on it in terms of PH and PPMS. Added some nutrients today but the last couple of days it has started this droop. One thing to note, no tap root has extruded from netpot. It has a tad of the slime starting and I have been adding Hydroguard to it as well. I have the water up past bottom of netpot and had previously lowered it into the rocks per someone's suggestion. When I did that, the tap root had not even come out of the rockwool. Forget exact date but been a couple of weeks at least.

Current PPM is about 393 and PH 5+-6. Same light as the other.
Thanks

View attachment 1266562View attachment 1266563
Looks like a ph issue yet if there is slime that also need to be eliminated. Make sure your staying between 5.6 and 5.9 ph. They also droop a little before lights come on, so make sure to check it during the middle of the light cycle and not the beginning or end. The hydroguard works best when you fully submerge the net pot. Id recommend that if you still have slime. Remember the slime is caused from light leaks.

You can also top feed your hydroguard. Add it directly to the top of the rockwool will help build the colonies faster.

I

ispy

Looks like a ph issue yet if there is slime that also need to be eliminated. Make sure your staying between 5.6 and 5.9 ph. They also droop a little before lights come on, so make sure to check it during the middle of the light cycle and not the beginning or end. The hydroguard works best when you fully submerge the net pot. Id recommend that if you still have slime. Remember the slime is caused from light leaks.

You can also top feed your hydroguard. Add it directly to the top of the rockwool will help build the colonies faster.
Thanks. What do you test PH with? I have a vivosun but I don't trust it. I have been using PH test strips.

Thanks. PH has been pretty consistent. 5+-6. I use strips so it is ~. Still not trusting my vivosun ph meter. I calibrated it but it seems to give some wacky readings. As for time of view, it was mid-day during light cycle. Definitely not close to end or beginning. I actually did top feed with hydroguard during last feeding. It had me worried because it seemed worse after that - forgot to mention. I will add more water and this bucket is double-bucketed and the outer is wrapped in foil. I used spray adhesive on outside and wrapped it in foil. Top is pretty well covered with foil from when light became an issue. I may try to see where the roots are and maybe replace the clay pebbles since the slime is in there. Depending on how the roots are. Really surprised I see none still.

having said all that, it looks much better today. lower leaves are still sagging a bit but the top is standing back up

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Any ph meter will work as long as it has a calibration button. You need ph calibration solution and ppm calibration solution. Before using it every single time you have to check it to make sure its accurate. I just got the hm meter that is a ppm and ph meter all in one. Havnt really used it yet though

I

ispy

Any ph meter will work as long as it has a calibration button. You need ph calibration solution and ppm calibration solution. Before using it every single time you have to check it to make sure its accurate. I just got the hm meter that is a ppm and ph meter all in one. Havnt really used it yet though
@Cashmeh - what do you think could be going on here? roots just aren't going anywhere. with no experience, i am surprised this thing looks as good as it does on top. lower leaves are kind of burnt on tips. roots are all white, no slime around them. i replaced the rock and gave another dose of hydroguard and ph down. ph was right at 6. dropped it closer to 5.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Your roots look great honestly. But the plant is pretty small for being a month old. Also see the nutrient issue on the old lower growth. Perhaps raise your ppms. Go up to 400-500. That rockwool also looks pretty dry for my liking. I would top feed it more. Its to the point where it wont hurt it if its saturated. The roots all compact like that and with those microfishbones is a good thing.
What is your water temps when the lights are off? Id say it just took you a while to get the roots clean and those deffeciencies are from before. As to the stress it shows, also prolly from the uptake issue. I mean you have only had this lined out for like a week or so right? Give us some closeups on the top down of the plant. Id like to see what the new growth looks like, im sure it will be fine. Also you prolly just need to turn the light up a little bit now that shes established roots. I mentioned the water temps at night because they tend to drop. You want to stay around 72f at this pace since your roots are fine. If your res temps are dropping in the 60s when the lights are off that will also slow down your growth. All there is now is keeping it well fed, and making sure it gets enough light. I had you turn it down before cause it was amplifying your issues. Now we can test it again to see if thats why its so small still. . im sure thats all it is. Just remember, if you get more issues on older growth, that you need to back it back off and we will have to figure out what its not uptaking. Atm, id say you need another week of running good to say that its stunted.

I

ispy

Your roots look great honestly. But the plant is pretty small for being a month old. Also see the nutrient issue on the old lower growth. Perhaps raise your ppms. Go up to 400-500. That rockwool also looks pretty dry for my liking. I would top feed it more. Its to the point where it wont hurt it if its saturated. The roots all compact like that and with those microfishbones is a good thing.
What is your water temps when the lights are off? Id say it just took you a while to get the roots clean and those deffeciencies are from before. As to the stress it shows, also prolly from the uptake issue. I mean you have only had this lined out for like a week or so right? Give us some closeups on the top down of the plant. Id like to see what the new growth looks like, im sure it will be fine. Also you prolly just need to turn the light up a little bit now that shes established roots. I mentioned the water temps at night because they tend to drop. You want to stay around 72f at this pace since your roots are fine. If your res temps are dropping in the 60s when the lights are off that will also slow down your growth. All there is now is keeping it well fed, and making sure it gets enough light. I had you turn it down before cause it was amplifying your issues. Now we can test it again to see if thats why its so small still. . im sure thats all it is. Just remember, if you get more issues on older growth, that you need to back it back off and we will have to figure out what its not uptaking. Atm, id say you need another week of running good to say that its stunted.
Will check water temps. My off hours are 11pm-4am right now so I might have to think about how to do this. I don't have a temp probe that is realtime/historical so I have to think about it. I doubt it would drop too much considering my room temp only drops to about 75 overnight - that I do have a monitor for.
Not following this question - "this lined out for like a week or so right?"
Correction - I set PPMS at 493, not 393.
Let me know if this picture is good enough.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I got the Calmag already. Trio should be here tomorrow. Should I add Calmag now or wait and do it all at once?
I love the GH Nova line myself. Only a couple more dollars.
I wanted to add that Southern AG friendly fungicide has the active ingredient in Hydroguard to stop root rot, but it has 98% concentration of it compared to 3% in Hydroguard, and it's a lot cheaper.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I love the GH Nova line myself. Only a couple more dollars.
I wanted to add that Southern AG friendly fungicide has the active ingredient in Hydroguard to stop root rot, but it has 98% concentration of it compared to 3% in Hydroguard, and it's a lot cheaper.
They are different phenos of bacteria in the two. I like hydroguard because I only have to add it once. Shit works perfect for me. Not saying southern ag does work either.

ninjadip

ninjadip

They are different phenos of bacteria in the two. I like hydroguard because I only have to add it once. Shit works perfect for me. Not saying southern ag does work either.
Oh! I didn't know that, that is interesting. I have never used HydroGuard, and have incredible results with the AG.

I'm going to post these two pictures to show the huge difference of active ingredients to help other people decide. I also only add it once, I'm not sure what that means.

99% in one, compared to 0.04% in the other... We can see which one will much more cost effective for scaling up or in the long run.

Gff
Hydro
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Oh! I didn't know that, that is interesting. I have never used HydroGuard, and have incredible results with the AG.

I'm going to post these two pictures to show the huge difference of active ingredients to help other people decide. I also only add it once, I'm not sure what that means.

99% in one, compared to 0.04% in the other... We can see which one will much more cost effective for scaling up or in the long run.
I guess I should try it one day. When i say I add it only once I left out the details. My res is 30 gallons and i top off with just nutrients and water for 2 months.i dont actually dump any solution, and i have always given hydroguard the recognition for this. A 20 dollar bottle lasts me all year. For one plant its 60ml at the start and then im done. I just know how breeders are with their patents. Its really my cheapest ingredient which is why I see no need to try anything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom