russet mites

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
So what kind of atomizer to you use to spray stuff? I like the thought of a film being sprayed as I would need an surfacant?

Sorry ken, thinkin out loud, deleted. Didn't write it thinking of negative

SpiderK

SpiderK

negative shit ?

keep using chems change your name then .... im out boss ' ... lol

caring for cats or med patients ????

SunGrown

SunGrown

So what kind of atomizer to you use to spray stuff? I like the thought of a film being sprayed as I would need an surfacant?

Sorry ken, thinkin out loud, deleted. Didn't write it thinking of negative
I used to use the regular old atomizer everyone uses, but I now like my harbor frieght 12 volt. I have it on wheels, and IIRC it holds 15 gallons, only have to go thru two full tanks to do this whole patch

My buddy just got a gas powered husqy backpack model! Stand back and watch the shit fly!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Spider; its guys like you that drive good people away from this place:meh:

SunGrown

SunGrown

here's a better view if anyone would like to zoom in see how most of them are brown does that indicate death and could the moving ones have hatched after the fact isn't abamectin systemic and stay for a few days? i used almost 1/4 of a gallon on each lady out of an atomizer so lack of coverage would baffle me
pics didnt show up bud, try again, I wanna see some big bitches even if they are damaged!

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

Everything still looks good here today. I did more samplings and saw tons o' dead bugs. I did see a few slow movers on 2 samples of the 10 I took. Those could have escaped the Ogbiowar spray. We also had a nice shower the day after I sprayed so I don't know if it washed off or if that even makes a difference. My next treatment may include bT kurstaki. I read something but can't find it now, that it works on russets. Any one else read or heard that? That would make it easier because the mites would be infected as they ate - if it works. Will do another round of Ogbiowar when it gets here and the final phase will be a bunch of predator bugs to take care of any stragglers and help prevent a re-infestation. Still keeping my fingers crossed. They aren't beat yet but are definitely scared and on the run! Still doing it organically but can't promise anything at this point. I may have to resort to the other stuff but I sure hope not. At least I have one garden that isn't infected (dare I say "yet"?) so hopefully the preventative treatments will keep them out so I'll have something for my cancer and other seriously ill patients. Working my butt off. :hungover:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I have no doubt you and your hubby are working hard Canna
Keep at em..Im praying for you!
Love that sig! :woot:

Last edited:
SunGrown

SunGrown

The most commonly used strain of Bt (kurstaki strain) will kill only leaf- and needle-feeding caterpillars.

From Colorado State here:

I am really rooting for you @CannaCrone , and everyone else for that matter!

What is interesting to me, is like you CannaCrone, I also have more than one spot. And many strains, a few from others. And I only had them on a few certain girls...

Folks like to say what they heard or read, so you know, according to what everyone thinks they know we got these from not being clean, or taking cuts from a club or a well meaning friend.

I call bullshit on that, sure maybe sometimes that is the case. But it is NOT how I got them, I don't know what brought them in but it isnt that.

I have scoped many gardens and all of my stuff, and mine was localized to a few plants in particular with little to no probability that I got the bugs from a club, or a friend, or the soil, etc...

those few girls I had that did get them, were right next to where the god damned deer was crawling under the fence and brushing up against them pretty heavily....Do I have to catch one of those damned deer and sample their fur?? I just may do that!

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

From Colorado State here:

What is interesting to me, is like you CannaCrone, I also have more than one spot. And many strains, a few from others. And I only had them on a few certain girls...

Folks like to say what they heard or read, so you know, according to what everyone thinks they know we got these from not being clean, or taking cuts from a club or a well meaning friend.

I call bullshit on that, sure maybe sometimes that is the case. But it is NOT how I got them, I don't know what brought them in but it isnt that.

I bet we live in the same general area @SunGrown . Deer are a problem here too but they haven't gotten in the gardens. I believe you are right about the reasons people say for getting them not being correct. The thing is, all farmers of all crops deal with pest issues. For people to say you only get them by not being clean or getting clones are being naive I think. We are in ag land here. There are horses, cattle, and other livestock everywhere and probably a medical grow on every other property (an exaggeration no doubt.) Years ago when Parvo was taking hold in dogs, people were trying to blame everyone else for spreading it by taking their infected dogs out in public. That would definitely do it but not the only way. They found that a common house fly landing on a pile of poop or where an infected dog had peed could carry it and infect another dog simply by landing on it. They also found humans carried it on the bottoms of their shoes if they walked on a pee spot in the grass. It spread like wildfire in California in the 80's until an effective vaccine was developed. Point is, there are many ways to get infected with any thing. Placing blame doesn't help any of us. We gently alerted the friend that gave us the clones and he found he had the bugs too because the clones he gave us and some he kept for himself came from the same stock from a vendor. I hope he alerted that person in a nice way too. I doubt they know they have the bugs either. If we work together and share info, we can get ahead of this. The enemy is not each other. It is the bugs!

The only reason I know this outbreak came from clones is because they looked "funny" when I got them. Leathery looking leaves, rounded edges, taco-ing. Stupid me only looked at them with a loop and missed any bugs. I dipped them in Azamax as I always do. And I do regular preventative sprays with it. I think it slowed the progression in the nursery but I did not continue to do the sprays once the outdoor girls got big because I didn't see any bugs. Don't think it would have stopped them anyway. They probably would have just exploded when in full flower. What got me investigating is that some of the outdoor girls and my old mothers started looking "funny" just like those clones did. They never did that before. Live and learn. <sigh>

Last edited:
SunGrown

SunGrown

I am glad you were able to figure out, at least generally, where yours came from. Hopefully that will solve a lot of peoples issues in that persons supply chain!

I am in the Sierra Foothills Outside of Chico, and yes, every other, if not every property has a garden for sure where I am at....Shit tons of stanky light dep all up and down the hills now that everyone has caught on to the glory that dep can be.

I wonder how much is infected with the russt? Or maybe I don't want to know!

One thing I think that may help, is that a lot of the rice farmers likely won't be flooding fields this year, so the migratory birds may go elsewhere, and that may help keep these things away too.

Someone on here found where houseflies were carrying mites so there may be no stopping a potential outbreak from here on out. Unless in a completely controlled environment, and even then one single slip up could cause a breakout in that scenario as well!

It is gross, but say a fly lands on your face while you are asleep, crawls on your nose hairs maybe, you instinctively rub it away, at the same time getting a few mites on your nose hairs. Then you go into check on your girls all suited up and washed even but maybe you have a regular old sneeze..could be as simple as that

SunGrown

SunGrown

right on, quite a few people on here from your area...only a couple hours away!

Where I am is the new humboldt, and dare I say it?? A lot of us here are nicer and grow on par or better than there. And I used to call HumB home so I can say that!

Top Bottom