russet mites

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
venial

venial

i was only talking about serenade or activo-nate sorry for not being more clear and @caregiverken you don't have to tell me about tree's, i start usually in early march.
ZedGeUg
and this was like 6 weeks ago

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Well hopefully the conserve SC will kill the threat an then you plant's will get happy an start eating like they should then your trichs will start looking like it snowed at your house Ken

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
This is a pretty good video for russet mites identification. and yes..after reading some articles last night I am almost 99% sure that heat over 120 F will kill them.

Yeah That is an excellent vid for identifying the mites and the damage they do
Thanks Kolah
Someone posted that in the thread earlier..but its worth posting again.

The heat method sounds like a great way to do it.
And you know 1st hand it worked for you!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Nice plant's an dogs @venial!
I was looking for his post to see his plants...lol
I see em now..yeah Venial, Those are nice plants and a nice dog.
Are your pistols looking good today?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Have you looked at your plant's since treating them with the sc @caregiverken
lol..:woot: ..yeah, its 830 am here...I get up early .ive been out there a couple times already..
Im just sitting here rolling one and getting more coffee then, Im going back out there :)

They look fuckin great i told you :)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
You the man @caregiverken player keep them girls happy! !!!!!!!!!
:D This is the one in the spraying photo i posted last night
it was one of the sickest
Apples294

She still has a few weeks to go.. give or take a week..lol
Its been about 30 days since I sprayed the avid. So, it has probably stopped killing mites
Most of my plants still have a good 30 days or more till they are near ready
So Im really glad to have some thing i can spray safely now to let them finsh :)

Last edited:
TSTEW313

TSTEW313

So Ken have you looked at any of your leafs under a microscope since you treated them with the conserve SC?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
hay just a question anyone ever try these :
I havent tryed store bought predatory mites before
I think @outwest posted that same link..I looked..and wondered..o_O
but, that was about it. :)

So Ken have you looked at any of your leafs under a microscope since you treated them with the conserve SC?
No i havent :)
I was looking last week (and the week before) and still not finding any live ones..
and just a couple dead bodies and eggs here and there.
The plants look good considering all they have been though.
But, I'm still going to keep treating them. Like I said before,
I need to spray for caterpillars anyway. So the Conserve is perfect.
And I have heard these bastards are not easy to get rid of,
so I have to assume they are still here some where;)
Thankfully, It seems, I have them under control:)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I found this good info about their life cycle
There have been several studies on the developmental biology of the tomato russet mite with varying results. Bailey and Keifer (1943) observed that at 21 degrees C, the tomato russet mite female laid an average of 15 eggs in her lifetime. Newly emerged females began laying eggs after 2 days. Eggs hatched in 2 days at room temperature, the larval stage was only 1 day, and the nymphal stage lasted 2 days. Rice and Strong (1962) reported that the life cycle was 6.5 days under optimal conditions (21 degrees C (70 degrees F) and 30% relative humidity) and under very high temperatures (32 degrees C (90 degrees F)), lower humidities were necessary for survival. This is contradictory to previous results by Planes (1941). He noted that high humidity contributed to the rise of high tomato russet mite populations.

Rice and Strong (1962) reported higher reproductive rates than previous experiments. Their study found that female tomato russet mites laid 10 to 53 eggs, depending on the environmental conditions. Longevity of the females was 47.5 days at 21 degrees C (70 degrees F) and 90% relative humidity. Their result indicated that the optimum conditions for population increase was temperatures near 26.7 degrees C (80 degrees F) and 30% relative humidity.

A study by Tsalev (1967) indicated that tomato russet mites have high developmental rates in relatively cool conditions (15-24 degrees C (59-75 degrees F)) and 70-80% relative humidity. A single generation developed in 15 to 18 days.

The developmental biology information in the following sections is based on a 1979 study by Abou-Awad. The results were based on experimental conditions of 25 degrees C (77 degrees F) and 70% relative humidity. Males developed in an average of 4.62 days and females developed in an average of 5.15 days.

Eggs

Eggs are round and colorless to white (Kay, 1986). The eggs are laid on leaves and stems of plants. Both males and females hatch in 2.3 days.

Larvae

The larval stage or first nymphal stage lasts about 11 hours for females and about 7 hours for males. The larval chrysalis (quiescent molting period between stages) lasts about 13 hours for both males and females. Larvae are white in color and look similar to the adults, but they are smaller and less active.

Nymph

The nymphal stage or second nymphal stage lasts a little over a day for females and about 19 hours for males. The nymphal chrysalis lasts 18 hours for females and 16 hours for males.

Adults

The adults are about 0.15 to 0.2 mm long and 0.05 mm wide (Kay, 1986). Their bodies are torpedo-shaped and cream to light gray-brown in color. Females live for about 22 days and males live for an average of 16 days. Females have a preovipositional period of 2 days and an ovipositional period of 19 days. The female produces an average of 16 eggs during the ovipositional period. Offspring of both sexes are produced by fertilized females. Unfertilized females only produce males.
more here
http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/kbase/crop/type/a_lycope.htm

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Great information Ken, but with the conserve SC pretty much an insect that eats in my garden an out side I sprayed carpenter ants,red fire ants, caterpillars, an the list goes on only to go back out side a few hours later looking like a nuclear bomb went off finding almost every dead an the ones that were still a live were looking like the we're having a epileptic seizure An in the next day they were all dead!

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

@CannaCrone it kills just about all insects that eat so if you are worried about the beneficial bugs then you might not want to use this product but if you don't want any plant chlorophyll sucking bugs then the conserve SC is exactly what you need!

Top Bottom