Schwer's First Grow Evah! Planning, Prep and Grow

• Thread starter Schwer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mugwort

Mugwort

Ha, that must have been a hell of a time.
Mine was in MiracleGro as well and I fed them the MiracleGro blue powder as well. I thought I’d learn as I went along. I thought to myself “how hard can this be”? Really? One puts a seed in dirt, provides water, light, nutrients, and let nature unfold it’s wonder. It’s just a matter of keeping them unpollinated so one just starts with female seeds and find the “secret juice” to feed them. 13 months later I’m starting to get the hang of it. Experience is something you get right after you need it! My hats off Schwer for taking the time to research and being methodical in generating a killer first grow! You must have had an experienced mentor at your side no?

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Mine was in MiracleGro as well and I fed them the MiracleGro blue powder as well. I thought I’d learn as I went along. I thought to myself “how hard can this be”? Really? One puts a seed in dirt, provides water, light, nutrients, and let nature unfold it’s wonder. It’s just a matter of keeping them unpollinated so one just starts with female seeds and find the “secret juice” to feed them. 13 months later I’m starting to get the hang of it. Experience is something you get right after you need it! My hats off Schwer for taking the time to research and being methodical in generating a killer first grow! You must have had an experienced mentor at your side no?
He did have me just a few weeks ahead of him on my first grow being a guinea pig. 😬🤷🏻‍♂️😜 Not that I helped but at least he knew what not to do. lol…

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
My hats off Schwer for taking the time to research and being methodical in generating a killer first grow! You must have had an experienced mentor at your side no?

Thanks so much! I was mentored by the internet and the assholes in this thread. Its a good cycle I have going... everyone compliments me and makes me feel confident about my grow, and then @Lilolme comes in and reminds me that I'm a scrub. 😄 Its a solid crew and I'm lucky to have them keeping me calm and in line. Typically the less they let me do the better my grow has turned out.

I also credit going with a living soil grow for the other half of this grow's success. This shit seems easy as hell compared to what some of you guys are working with.

Man that GDP is lookin yummy!

Thank you kind sir, but if you're referring to the most recent pic that's actually one of my BBK's. Early on my GDP's were frostier and a little bigger on average, but the BBK's are starting to catch up! Its a fun race to watch because I win either way 👍 No huge buds on either strain but everything feels dense and smells divine.

Here's a pic of the my new lung room setup with a couple of things rearranged and the drying tent installed. Sorry for the mind-bending panoramic shot, but it was hard to show the full setup in multiple pics in a way that was felt as intuitive as this. If it helps makes sense of the wide angle, all of the desks, tables, tents and walls are at right angles to one another, lol.

Tent191

The main filtered intake is now on the bottom of the "drying tent." I'm starting the flow with the drying tent because that's where I'm going to want the coolest temps assuming I have a staggered harvest. I'll put a single fan in the drying tent blowing low across the back wall to maintain air circulation, but no direct airflow from the fan on the drying bud. The dry tent will exhaust to the grow tent, and the grow tent will exhaust out the window as usual. That's the plan anyway.

I have really appreciated leaving myself enough ducting on the intake to raise it, lower it, or move it to a different part of the room. Even raising the intake from the floor to the seat of a folding chair raises the tent temp by ~2 degrees. Sometimes its nice to have that flexibility when others variables are more difficult to change. This also allows me to keep the intake near the center of the lung room where (presumably) I'm getting a good sample of the environment I'm trying to create in the tent.

Edit: I'm going to tighten those duct lines up to assist with airflow and let the fan do a little less work, though I'm pretty sure the T6 is more than up for this particular task.

Last edited:
ajgrows

ajgrows

Thanks so much! I was mentored by the internet and the assholes in this thread. Its a good cycle I have going... everyone compliments me and makes me feel confident about my grow, and then @Lilolme comes in and reminds me that I'm a scrub. 😄 Its a solid crew and I'm lucky to have them keeping me calm and in line. Typically the less they let me do the better my grow has turned out.

I also credit going with a living soil grow for the other half of this grow's success. This shit seems easy as hell compared to what some of you guys are working with.

Thank you kind sir, but if you're referring to the most recent pic that's actually one of my BBK's. Early on my GDP's were frostier and a little bigger on average, but the BBK's are starting to catch up! Its a fun race to watch because I win either way 👍 No huge buds on either strain but everything feels dense and smells divine.

Here's a pic of the my new lung room setup with a couple of things rearranged and the drying tent installed. Sorry for the mind-bending panoramic shot, but it was hard to show the full setup in multiple pics in a way that was felt as intuitive as this. If it helps makes sense of the wide angle, all of the desks, tables, tents and walls are at right angles to one another, lol.

View attachment 1169130

The main filtered intake is now on the bottom of the "drying tent." I'm starting the flow with the drying tent because that's where I'm going to want the coolest temps assuming I have a staggered harvest. I'll put a single fan in the drying tent blowing low across the back wall to maintain air circulation, but no direct airflow from the fan on the drying bud. The dry tent will exhaust to the grow tent, and the grow tent will exhaust out the window as usual. That's the plan anyway.

I have really appreciated leaving myself enough ducting on the intake to raise it, lower it, or move it to a different part of the room. Even raising the intake from the floor to the seat of a folding chair raises the tent temp by ~2 degrees. Sometimes its nice to have that flexibility when others variables are more difficult to change. This also allows me to keep the intake near the center of the lung room where (presumably) I'm getting a good sample of the environment I'm trying to create in the tent.
Right, BBK was typed above the pic lol. This is exactly what I had in my head for my dry tent. Looking forward to seeing both get put to good use!

Lilolme

Lilolme

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelins it was for the good of the plants! Thats why we’re here right? Listen to Five Finger Death Punchs song “Dot Your Eyes” you will understand me better

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I would look at maybe getting some mats for working in front of those tents so you don't mess up your Woman's pretty carpets. Sooner or later, your going to get your hands dirty.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Didn’t mean to hurt your feelins it was for the good of the plants! Thats why we’re here right? Listen to Five Finger Death Punchs song “Dot Your Eyes” you will understand me better

lol, oh hell no man. There are no hurt feelings in the slightest. I appreciate your posts, your experience and your bullshit in equal measure 🤣

I would look at maybe getting some mats for working in front of those tents so you don't mess up your Woman's pretty carpets. Sooner or later, your going to get your hands dirty.

Ha, I pretty much get a free pass on this one because all of that carpet needs to be replaced anyway. That said, I do bring in a towel for the floor when I'm watering and I use tarps when repotting. I'm more worried about what might get into tent from the carpets!

Lilolme

Lilolme

lol, oh hell no man. There are no hurt feelings in the slightest. I appreciate your posts, your experience and your bullshit in equal measure 🤣

Ha, I pretty much get a free pass on this one because all of that carpet needs to be replaced anyway. That said, I do bring in a towel for the floor when I'm watering and I use tarps when repotting. I'm more worried about what might get into tent from the carpets!
Part of why I am still considering a dedicated grow room is that the room in mind has an extremely high ceiling I want to raise the plants and get off of my knees they dont care for all the kneelin

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Day 91 - Start of 8th week since flip (as of tomorrow).. so I guess we're starting week 6 or 7 of flower.

Not much to report but I did take some pics. The GDP's are getting very P, and I'm seeing some fall colors in the BBK's as well.

All I'm doing these days is watering with RO and doing very light foliage thinning. I haven't seen any progression on the burnt tips or edges, or if there is progression is very very slow. I haven't seen a single gnat for at least a week either. 👍

Tent196

Tent195

Check out the difference in color here between Peggy (forefront) and one of her GDP cousins (background). Peggy is half the size but in the same size pot, so I would imagine she still has nitrogen to spare at this point.

Tent193

GDP # 2
Tent194

BBK #3

Tent199

Tent197

BBK #2
Tent198

I think the trichomes are starting to look cloudy but I don't see any amber to speak of yet

Onward!

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Day 91 - Start of 8th week since flip (as of tomorrow).. so I guess we're starting week 6 or 7 of flower.

Not much to report but I did take some pics. The GDP's are getting very P, and I'm seeing some fall colors in the BBK's as well.

All I'm doing these days is watering with RO and doing very light foliage thinning. I haven't seen any progression on the burnt tips or edges, or if there is progression is very very slow. I haven't seen a single gnat for at least a week either. 👍

View attachment 1171263

View attachment 1171264

Check out the difference in color here between Peggy (forefront) and one of her GDP cousins (background). Peggy is half the size but in the same size pot, so I would imagine she still has nitrogen to spare at this point.

View attachment 1171265

GDP # 2
View attachment 1171266

BBK #3

View attachment 1171267

View attachment 1171268

BBK #2
View attachment 1171269

I think the trichomes are starting to look cloudy but I don't see any amber to speak of yet

Onward!
F29

Freaking beautiful my friend

Lilolme

Lilolme

View attachment 1171263

View attachment 1171264

View attachment 1171265

GDP # 2
View attachment 1171266

BBK #3

View attachment 1171267

View attachment 1171268

BBK #2
View attachment 1171269

Onward!
Lookin AWESOMELY good! Ignore them trics in the sunshine its the ones deeper in the buds that count

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Thanks guys, and thanks again for helping me get this far along without too many headaches.

Lookin AWESOMELY good! Ignore them trics in the sunshine its the ones deeper in the buds that count

Thanks man. I did see you doing that in your thread so I have a better idea of where to look. I have one of those jeweler's loops coming in a few days, so maybe with that I'll be able to get a better look as things progress.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
By the way, given all of the talk recently about flower time vs flip time (especially from @Lilolme), I suspect that the apparent "nute burn" I experienced was the result of adding both of my fish-bone-meal top dressings far too early.

I still have enough of the CoM Stoneington's soil to use for another full run, so it will interesting to see how changing the timing on those top dressings impacts the grow. I probably would have benefited (at least a bit) from continuing to use the Recharge for a couple more weeks as well.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Thanks guys, and thanks again for helping me get this far along without too many headaches.

Thanks man. I did see you doing that in your thread so I have a better idea of where to look. I have one of those jeweler's loops coming in a few days, so maybe with that I'll be able to get a better look as things progress.
Its kind of difficult to get a good look I have seen guys snippin little samples from within the bud, a loupe is plenty strong enough I have a cheap one. I decided I’m gonna go by everything, overall age, condition of the brown pistils, and of course the still confusing to me percentage of amber trics, all cloudy with a smattering of amber/yellow/purplish. They continue to age after the chop keep that in mind. Better to err on the side of a little more towards the “narcotic” stage than way too soon. I have harvested based on the light exposed trics, after the dry/cure looked at the trics deeper in the bud and saw nothing but clear it was very disappointing they still had weeks to go before they were ripe and ready so don’t rush em. This is one of the most difficult and discussed parts of growin and one that requires, as in my case, a little disappointment. As the urge to chop gets stronger and stronger you really need to whip out all your patience and remain calm. When you are sure they are ready and your standin there with your chainsaw ready to attack, wait another week. I am already sure I will be goin on to week 11 if not longer and will be takin off a decent lookin bud for a very thorough inspection before I proceed with the chop, better to sacrifice 1 pretty bud than to blow the entire grow

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
My jewelers loop arrived and damn this thing is awesome! I thought I was already getting a pretty good look with the pics from my phone and camera, but this is on a whole other level.

I looked at some of the top flowers and some that were deeper and out of the light per @Lilolme 's suggestion. There was hardly any amber to be found, even on top. There were plenty of cloudy trichs, but a lot of the trichomes that I assumed were cloudy in my other pics were still clear when inspected with the loop. Totally worth the $5 or whatever.

Next time I'm in there for a watering I'll try holding the loop up to the camera phone and see if I can get any decent pics. I have a feeling that will be a real pain in the ass but I'll give it a try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom