Sea Train or Container Grow??

• Thread starter Purkle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

ProGroWannabe

Thanks Tex...yeah I've been in construction most of my life and realize the money for all teh concrete, but you DO seem to have more actual concrete experience than I do, so I'm listening. I HAD thought I'd do it all myself a little at a time, plus I'm waaay out in the sticks where permits aren't neessary as long as officials don't see ya building it till it's done. As for the concrete company not delivering without a permit, I hadn't thought of that. I'll be giving a little more consideration to the containers now....thank you.

I'll be checkin out that link shortly.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Ya gotta dig the same hole either way, whether you build a concrete structure or sink a container except when you sink a container the hole goes away in a day or so not months..It's about your overall exposure for sure and construction is eye catchin..

Now I remember reading an article one time about a guy in Washington State that excuvated under his house over 20 o so years using 5 gallon buckets to take the muck out, 5 gallons at a time and used in landscaping around the house. When they finally mapped it all out there were like 7 floors and 10,000+square feet under his house footprint, 100 foot or so deep..now that's crafty

Tex

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The are air and water tight...not like pressure sealed or nothing but weatherproof. They usually float just below the surface when the fly overboard, which back in the late 90's it was at a rate of 2500-3000 containers a year overboard. Depending on the cargo determines if it is a little bouyant or not.

There is a whole little subculture that tracks stuff that washes ashore from container ships and then they track ocean currents, tidal flows, shippin channels, all sorts of shit and then they have a little newsletter thing...Nike's washed ashore in Bali, Hockey equipment in New Brunswick, etc... When I was in southeast Asia a full container load of Microsoft Windows flew overboard out at sea, cha ching$$$$

The gross tonage max on 40 footer is like 49,000lbs and I used to get close on some of the gear I was shippin, so it would just sink to the bottom of the ocean if it flew off...We used to request "in hull" placement when we went to the east, rough ass seas...

Oh and the containers are usually painted witha paint called Carboline think but it's marine paint to the max, the Navy uses it to paint battleships and such, one gallon wieghs about 45lbs there are so many solids in it. They use it on oil rigs and stuff like that as well

Tex

G

grizz

I still would compleatly water proff out side of container with the same stuff they waterproof cement walls with. also put pea gravel at least 3 ft up with leach line pipe in it draining to more peagravel like a leach bed to help water drain away from container. Its more than a one day job but still is alot faster than doing a concreat bunker type . another question I have Tex is how are you going to make your intrance into the container? from the top or are you going to build a stairway box at the end so you can use the doors, moving soil or coco or any grow equipment down a ladder through a top hatch can be a real pain in the ass where as a cinder block 3 sided box with a stairway is much easyer, some sort of seller door on top or as you were saying earlyer your kennel house over the top is a good cover, also to keep from needing a crane most people dig a ramp with a open end so you can back truck right into hole and drop container then back fill ramp and open end, this also lets you build your peagravel leach field where you dug out ramp. hope this makes sinse.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
If I ultimately bury one, I would have my access thru the dog kennel thta would be built directly over the container footprint. some sort of cool trap door would be a hand to figure out. i like the idea of a cellar door at he end and have access thru there, hell you could do like a false wall at the end of the actual cellar and have access thru there to the container.

Right now I am not goin to bury on, they are to common place around here to get to carried away hidin it..hide in plain site...that's the ticket..

Tex

G

grizz

you got that right, sometimes the obvious is well hidden. and that idea of a celler first then a false wall door into container is the ticket.

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Well great!! This thread really did take off and people are interested. I really like the pea gravel idea.

How about exhaust fans or intake? How are you gonna cool alot of lights while its underground? If you did and large op you would need to cool somehow. And to exhaust the air its gonna be hard to keep stealth if its popping out of the ground.

Id like to hear some more stealth door options. Maybe something with stairs instead of a ladder. Oh my back!! :handshake

TK: Thanks for laying it down in here!!!!

P

ProGroWannabe

Well Purkle...here's what I've been considering for quite a while...

I suppose at this point, this will be based on a container of some sort instead of a concrete basement or bunker type of structure, but I have been entertaining the idea of building a shed, or outbuilding of some sort directly over the top of the grow. In my opinion, if you build a shed over it, then your trapdoor options increase dramatically. With a cleverly constructed shed, you could have a false wall to hide an entrance; place some type of normally non-moveable equipment, such as a large table saw over an entrance; or even enter under a set of cabinets.

As for smell, I really think that you can even fool a K-9 with this approach:
Build-in a small passageway that is sealed fairly well from the grow space and the shed above, and place an O3 genny in it. Now, since it's not in the grow space itself, you should be able to run really high concentrations of ozone to kill all odors, and still not harm a damn thing in the grow room. If the coppers ever come looking for your grow, you know they'll have the K-9's with em. And I'd bet that if they see a concrete pad (floor of the shed) coupled with no indication from their K-9, ya might just fool em all....maybe I'm being naive here, but I'm sure others HAVE fooled em. Hell even the cops can't win em all.

D

drpressure600

with all the things like water flooding, digging a hole that big, hiding the heat etc, would it not be just better to rent a complete house & use all the bedrooms, i lost an industrial unit recently with 2 large rooms built like containers in it, killed me when it went down, bad blow to the confidence, & the pocket . .

i'm begining to think if i'd have rented a house it would have been alot cheaper & safer . .

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
with all the things like water flooding, digging a hole that big, hiding the heat etc, would it not be just better to rent a complete house & use all the bedrooms, i lost an industrial unit recently with 2 large rooms built like containers in it, killed me when it went down, bad blow to the confidence, & the pocket . .

i'm begining to think if i'd have rented a house it would have been alot cheaper & safer . .

I am out of room in my rented houses and this is an instant 160 sq.ft that is secure as hell. This is just one of many different grow shows we are persuing full tilt..need more room..the montra of an indoor grower.

I was thinkin also, in my state, they required by law to keep any plants confinscated during the course of a drug investigation alive until trial. So fa they have been failin miserably and costing them a fortune, they have had to pay for the plants in almost every case and not a little cash..alot...couple were 250k or better they had to reimburse the med patient when it was all said and done. So I am thinkin if they popped me, instead of trashin my house, they can just hook up and take the hole container to the impound, plug'r back in and keep on keepin on..

I also thought about creating like a bonded wharehouse that the different municipalities can contract with to keep plants alive awaiting trial...would be a fraction of what they are payin out now for killin them. Bring'm to me...lol

Tex

O

Otto

I also thought about creating like a bonded wharehouse that the different municipalities can contract with to keep plants alive awaiting trial...would be a fraction of what they are payin out now for killin them. Bring'm to me...lol

DUUUUUUDE, thats an awesome idea. If you ever need employees for that me and buns work for cheap, lmao.

-Otto

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
OK now, here is the be all end all site for sea container coolness..the rest of this site is insane if you like this kind of shit...

Here is a badass Chinese setup, modualr everything using them..

Also I checked with these guys locally and they will do what ever you want, power, partitions, a/c, heat, sub panels...but they have these cool field office setups that are ready to go and are perfect growrooms already. just add lights and co2 baby!!!

These dudes are badass Cargotecture

http://www.hybridseattle.com/

Tex

G

grizz

no doubt above ground or below these are the cheapest strongest thing you can use for a grow room. I would love to put two 20 fters side by side and make a double wide.Put a nice sized door between them and ya baby, these are the perfect width for a stadium set up , two sets of lights with a flip flop on the ballast. Tex I need to rent a acre from you. lol..

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Already laid out the exact thing, using flip flop boxes, also looked at partitioning the container in the middle and having two 8x10 flower rooms on the flip flop..

I have laid out about 25 different configurations in the last few days..i am lovin this shit

Tex

L

Lee

You talking big time. i'd be way to scared to attempt such a project.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I'm already in the shit, just as well dance in it....

Go big or go home...

Tex

G

grizz

Have you ever seen a stadium set up, you can put 6 rows on each side and still have a walkway down the middle a small 8ft x 8ft space for clones and potting mateial and nute res. the the beauty of a stadium is there is no veg time. I take my clones out of cloner put them in a beer cup for a week under t5's and then right into 1 gl grow bags and into the stadium.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Have you ever seen a stadium set up, you can put 6 rows on each side and still have a walkway down the middle a small 8ft x 8ft space for clones and potting mateial and nute res. the the beauty of a stadium is there is no veg time. I take my clones out of cloner put them in a beer cup for a week under t5's and then right into 1 gl grow bags and into the stadium.

A full on stadium grow would be badass in there, I have a buddy that blows out his stadium in a fraction of the space and it still rocks

Tex

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Why bother with the flip flop Texas? Because of the cost of ballast? I would prefer an all in one whack. Maybe a veg room in it so you can replant ASAP but I would rather have one room then two. But thats me and a couple steps behind you. I hope you do this and show us the ropes.

How you gonna cool the cargo container and exhaust lights? Buy a 40 footer man!! That is my dream.

Top Bottom