Searching for high THCV strains

• Thread starter Skeptik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DARTHNALGAS

DARTHNALGAS

Looks good so far. Hope it works for you. Do you have the ability to test it once you harvest? I'd be curious if dealing with hermies is worth it to find a proper plant.
Yeah, I'm having the results tested! I'll keep you posted!

DARTHNALGAS

DARTHNALGAS

Looks good so far. Hope it works for you. Do you have the ability to test it once you harvest? I'd be curious if dealing with hermies is worth it to find a proper plant.

So I finally got thru processing my backlog, and decided it's time to start again. Only 6 of these will make it to flower.

I will have culls of THC Victory and Diet Durban (yeah the hermie stuff) if anyone is interested. Just make it easy on me to get them to you and they are free. I'm keeping 2/3 of the THC Vics and 2/10 of the Seedsman Diet Durban.

The other stuff is just pheno hunting. Well, so is the THC Victory, I can tell you from past experience it is not stable. I have found 3 separate chemovars over 7 seeds. Diet Durban is a crapshoot unless someone can tell me how to pick hermies out of a lineup of foot tall plants. I need some black magic or something.

View attachment 1150272

FWIW, I'm finding THCV in quite a few plants, and I am convinced light spectrum plays a part in bringing it out. I pulled some out of White Widow (Greenhouse) that was completely unexpected. The testing and results are in another thread where I was focused on UVB testing.

As for effects of THCV, quite a few have asked me about my results. I'll save some PMs and just tell everyone - but please understand I am no expert at this and my goals / results / desires may be completely different from yours.

Smoking:

Inhaled THCV by itself does nothing useful. Perhaps larger doses might work, but read on.

THCV inhaled with a "base plant" is highly variable. By base plant, I mean taking a bud or extraction that has little or no THCV, but a full plant otherwise including minor cannabinoids and terps, and adding THCV to that plant.

I have spent a considerable amount of time and effort on coaxing out the best results with different base plants and tuning cannabinoid and terpene profiles. There are just so many variables here that me posting my results would be meaningless to anyone else. I would call this method a partial success, but I'm not satisfied.

Eating:

This is the method I am currently focused on. The reason for this is the resounding success I have had with my wife (different issues - not THCV related) on making this process work for her. Basically we are making capsules with precise ingredients (cannabinoids, terpenes, lecithin, and some dietary supplements) which change throughout the day. Example - night time dose is 1 hour before bed and has a base plant of Critical Mass (my wife calls it blonde, meaning just sorta mellow, not too high, not stress inducing, whatever) and the addition of CBN and myrcene. She is repeatedly getting a good night sleep for the first time in a long time. Naturally I want this level of success with THCV.

So far, this method is a bit trickier for me. Too early to say, but I believe I will eventually find her level of success. The entourage effect is so important, if you are not in the right zone it will feel like a failure.

I'll be back around with more as these grow up, but been pretty busy lately, so please forgive me slow replies to PMs, if you have questions post them here and I'll grab them when I can. Cheers.

Oh, on the seedling culls, I'll go first come first served via PM timestamp. When they are gone they are gone, but if you are local you can always get cuts.
I read somewhere that Thc-V is activated at 245⁰f but I'm not 100% sure.

Ali_Tarpate

Ali_Tarpate

I finally got some satisfactory results using TLC on the Jack the Ripper that I grew last winter. The seeds were f2 from the Subcool line. They are still not perfect, but they are telling me what I wanted to know - if THCV is present.
The first one has sharp dots, but they are all run together - the problem I've been having since day one. But I used a different eluent (ether/hexane) and the colors came out brighter. You can see the purple dot below the top red one. I also changed the decarb time.

The second one has fuzzier dots but the separation I was looking for is there. This was with two passes in the same eluent. Again, the purple dot is there.

EtherhexaneJTR
Ether 2 runs in eluent
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I finally got some satisfactory results using TLC on the Jack the Ripper that I grew last winter. The seeds were f2 from the Subcool line. They are still not perfect, but they are telling me what I wanted to know - if THCV is present.
The first one has sharp dots, but they are all run together - the problem I've been having since day one. But I used a different eluent (ether/hexane) and the colors came out brighter. You can see the purple dot below the top red one. I also changed the decarb time.

The second one has fuzzier dots but the separation I was looking for is there. This was with two passes in the same eluent. Again, the purple dot is there.
What dye are you using? Are your plates Silica 60?

I'm seeing about 40:40:20 THC:THCV:CBG there. That is the biggest blip of THCV I have ever seen.

What are the effects?

Ali_Tarpate

Ali_Tarpate

What dye are you using? Are your plates Silica 60?
Fast Blue BB Salt hemi(zinc chloride) salt - CAS Number 5486-84-0 - Stores at room temp, as opposed to CAS 120-00-3 which needs to be frozen.
On the second (fuzzy) plates, I mixed it with plain dist H2O - before I was mixing it in a 1 mol solution of NaOH. In plain water, it dissolves instantly, in the solution it becomes hydrophobic and must be filtered. It seems stronger in the solution though - it's yellower.
The plates are marked 60A. I also have some glass plates, which work about the same.
I'm seeing about 40:40:20 THC:THCV:CBG there. That is the biggest blip of THCV I have ever seen.

What are the effects?
I was really surprised, but the difference was mostly the decarb time. The change in eluent seems to give brighter colors too. I was using chloroform previously. The colors are more vivid in person, they don't look quite right on-screen.
Previously, I was decarbing at 130°C for 90 min. I changes to 120° for 20 min. The samples were fully cured (since March) soaked in Hexane.
Eluent was 20:80 diethyl ether & hexane and I gave them two passes in it. I finally got the separation I was missing, but the spots aren't as sharp as the previously, so I'm thinking an adjustment of the polarity of my eluent is in order to get back to one pass. Any ideas?

Effects? That's pretty subjective, but it has helped me with my lack of motivation. I'm retired. I have a nice little shop set up for jewelry and lapidary work that was sitting idle, and I finally got off my ass to get some work done. I've done a ton of gardening that I had been putting off (take a hit - and go out and dig a hole!) Since I've become more geezerly, my tolerance for THC has gone way down. One good hit will do me just fine. The appetite suppression is there, but it's not as strong as it was when I first discovered the V. I wonder if you build a tolerance toward it?

grnmtn

grnmtn

So I bought the one on left from Hoku for 25 reg seeds for $50 and they threw in 25 more thcv seeds for FREE! So $50 for 50 seeds in beyond reasonable and I don't see the Syrian cross on their menu either. Score!
IMG 20210813 170654504

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Effects? That's pretty subjective, but it has helped me with my lack of motivation. I'm retired. I have a nice little shop set up for jewelry and lapidary work that was sitting idle, and I finally got off my ass to get some work done. I've done a ton of gardening that I had been putting off (take a hit - and go out and dig a hole!) Since I've become more geezerly, my tolerance for THC has gone way down. One good hit will do me just fine. The appetite suppression is there, but it's not as strong as it was when I first discovered the V. I wonder if you build a tolerance toward it?

I have been trying to figure out the right ratios. I'm like you, I don't need much THC, but I also find some is necessary to get anything out of the V.

It is possible I am also hitting a tolerance boundary with V. I'm going to reflect on that for a bit and get back to you. It may be time for a V break and reset for a month. Hmmm.

Very interesting posts.

Ali_Tarpate

Ali_Tarpate

I have been trying to figure out the right ratios. I'm like you, I don't need much THC, but I also find some is necessary to get anything out of the V.

It is possible I am also hitting a tolerance boundary with V. I'm going to reflect on that for a bit and get back to you. It may be time for a V break and reset for a month. Hmmm.

Very interesting posts.
How have you done with the THCV extract? I have a little on order - did it have some effect? How did you administer it? I thought I'd mix a little with some smoke, or maybe try sub-dermal with DMSO.

>It may be time for a V break and reset for a month.
Please let us know how it goes. I've gone cold turkey - today is day two, and I'm already bored shirtless.

Dan789

Dan789

Hey gentlemen, sorry to break into your conversation but wanted also to be able to check thc potency with this method you're using. Can you either give me a clue what testing stuff you're using or a dm with a link. Would be much appreciated. Dan
PS, I've got no Chemistry experience but willing to put in the time necessary if this is something that can be learned...

Ali_Tarpate

Ali_Tarpate

Hey gentlemen, sorry to break into your conversation but wanted also to be able to check thc potency with this method you're using. Can you either give me a clue what testing stuff you're using or a dm with a link. Would be much appreciated. Dan
PS, I've got no Chemistry experience but willing to put in the time necessary if this is something that can be learned...
It's called 'Thin Layer Chromatography' (TLC) and is not going to tell you the percentage of THC in your plants, even though the makers of the kits want you to think that. Since this thread is about looking for THCV, it does show us if that compound is present - if it's a tiny dot or none at all, we know there isn't much there. If it's a bigger dot we know there's quite a bit. On the plates shown. the big red dot at the top is THC, and the purplish one below it is THCV, and CBD if present is an orange dot above the THC one.
You can buy a kit to do the tests, but they are kind of expensive. If you only need to do a few tests, it's probably your best bet.
Just search the net for 'TLC testing cannabis' and the like.

Dan789

Dan789

It's called 'Thin Layer Chromatography' (TLC) and is not going to tell you the percentage of THC in your plants, even though the makers of the kits want you to think that. Since this thread is about looking for THCV, it does show us if that compound is present - if it's a tiny dot or none at all, we know there isn't much there. If it's a bigger dot we know there's quite a bit. On the plates shown. the big red dot at the top is THC, and the purplish one below it is THCV, and CBD if present is an orange dot above the THC one.
You can buy a kit to do the tests, but they are kind of expensive. If you only need to do a few tests, it's probably your best bet.
Just search the net for 'TLC testing cannabis' and the like.
PS, thanks for the response, So my intent is to determine what potency of the MJ I have and how well or not I'm decarb'g it. I want to be able without the guessing I've been doing what's decard'b and what's already oxidized enough through either age/or combination. So that's why I've gotten my interest was piqued when I came across your conversation. I've seen several books, all over $150. that probably describe in excruciating detail everything about Thin layer Chromatography, but am reluctant to spend the money better spent somewhere else with a more focused result.

Ali_Tarpate

Ali_Tarpate

PS, thanks for the response, So my intent is to determine what potency of the MJ I have and how well or not I'm decarb'g it. I want to be able without the guessing I've been doing what's decard'b and what's already oxidized enough through either age/or combination. So that's why I've gotten my interest was piqued when I came across your conversation. I've seen several books, all over $150. that probably describe in excruciating detail everything about Thin layer Chromatography, but am reluctant to spend the money better spent somewhere else with a more focused result.
Enter 'DIY TLC testing cannabis' in your favorite search engine. The first result should be on rollitup dot org. There's a step-by-step explanation of the process there.

Dan789

Dan789

Enter 'DIY TLC testing cannabis' in your favorite search engine. The first result should be on rollitup dot org. There's a step-by-step explanation of the process there.
Thanks, that seems like a good starting g point. Appreciate the tip. dan

Top Bottom