Seedling problem . What to do

• Thread starter goodbye95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blastfact

Blastfact

Is there a mathematical or visual function , giving the best time to water? When and why would an agronomist or agriculturalist water?
It's hard to get a feeling for when to water if you have never gardened, be it vegetables, ornamentals, vine plants or fruit trees. Then soil and coco each have different challenges and tactics. There is no simple answer or formula. You just get a green thumb or you don't...

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It's hard to get a feeling for when to water if you have never gardened, be it vegetables, ornamentals, vine plants or fruit trees. Then soil and coco each have different challenges and tactics. There is no simple answer or formula. You just get a green thumb or you don't...
Or a new grower could buy a simple and inexpensive moisture meter to use as a guide while they learn how to determine when to water a plant. It's a good tool for the beginner.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Or a new grower could buy a simple and inexpensive moisture meter to use as a guide while they learn how to determine when to water a plant. It's a good tool for the beginner.
mmmmm i wouldn’t use those cheap ones..
this grower is just making it more difficult than it needs to be, and if he tries doing everything based on science he’ll never be successful,
learning is more about trial and error than anything..

goodbye95

goodbye95

this grower is just making it more difficult than it needs to be, and if he tries doing everything based on science he’ll never be successful,
I just noticed these signs on the new plants .

IMG 20221030 223134
IMG 20221030 223116
IMG 20221030 223112
IMG 20221030 223107
IMG 20221030 223058
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I just noticed these signs on the new plants .
ok.. i’m guessing your temp humidity etc are good, so again that’s from the soil always being wet ish, part of it might be the seeds just getting things worked out or the soil is just a bit strong (it’ll be ok).. are the cotyledon (small first round) leafs curled down? yellowing?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Those are baby trichs on the leaves. They should be transplanted soon. I would be doing it now, especially since you over watered so much. Check for root rot while transplanting.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I didn't say cheap ... I said inexpensive. There is a difference, lol. If it has a battery and an LED I would walk away. I use the old analog kind. They are pretty accurate.

As for making it harder than it needs to be? Many new growers do that in the attempt to do everything just perfect. Growing is more fluid than force feed/water down the plant and watch it grow enormous. It doesn't work that way. Everything in balance, nothing in excess. Once a new grower grasps that concept, they usually are on the path to success.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I watered today the little plants. The pot had stopped from getting lighter . I have not watered yet the big plants.
ok.. well one definitely looks better than the other.. might be worth only growing the better one, but still no reason to trash her yet..
does the pot feel really light? same as yesterday?
if so i m sorry but i forget if your feeding them or not..
if so what would it be and how much?

goodbye95

goodbye95

ok.. well one definitely looks better than the other.. might be worth only growing the better one, but still no reason to trash her yet..
does the pot feel really light? same as yesterday?
if so i m sorry but i forget if your feeding them or not..
if so what would it be and how much?
No i do not feed them . Only unphed water.

goodbye95

goodbye95

No i do not feed them . Only unphed water.
I also put a paper towel under the pots to drain the moisture. The water then expands to the bigger surface of the paper towel which gets hit by the circulating fans. Faster evaporation of moisture. Just to be sure.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok how do you feel about watering the better looking one?
is the pot really light weight?
looking at her she seems fine but it’s probably time for watering..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
how’s it today?
you water them?
did they get dropping 30 mins after watering?

goodbye95

goodbye95

how’s it today?
you water them?
did they get dropping 30 mins after watering?
I have not watered yet and they seem fine still. The little ones have started to yellow though. I will probably wait a little more. Especially for the little ones because they are stunned too as it seems. The water evaporates so slowly .

IMG 20221101 231305
IMG 20221101 231310
IMG 20221101 231317
IMG 20221101 231322
IMG 20221101 231328
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok cool
i think you see the effects how watering too frequently can affect plants now.. at least with the medium your using at the moment.. some dry out quicker some slower..
i think you should maybe move the little ones further away from the light, 10 inches..

goodbye95

goodbye95

ok cool
i think you see the effects how watering too frequently can affect plants now.. at least with the medium your using at the moment.. some dry out quicker some slower..
i think you should maybe move the little ones further away from the light, 10 inches..
Yep. I have learnt my lesson. Why should i move them further though?

goodbye95

goodbye95

Yep. I have learnt my lesson. Why should i move them further though?
I have also moved the humidity to around 64% just to lessen the transpiration rate. Just to make them drink less water and not get worse. Does this make sense? Or should i get it again to 60?

Top Bottom