Seedling problem . What to do

• Thread starter goodbye95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madmax

Madmax

I do not see why 23.5 c is low. Considering vpd and current lvpd of the plant if i raised temp i would have to raise RH at the 80% range
How so.my room vpd for my seedlings at moment is room temp 26.2 rh 65% and lst 23deg and im bang on 0.060 which is perfect for seedlings ..dunno where you get 80% lol.. Considering optimal leaf surface temp range is 23-25 your lst would b round 21 deg but yeah will still grow okay at that..

goodbye95

goodbye95

How so.my room vpd for my seedlings at moment is room temp 26.2 rh 65% and lst 23deg and im bang on 0.060 which is perfect for seedlings ..dunno where you get 80% lol.. Considering optimal leaf surface temp range is 23-25 your lst would b round 21 deg but yeah will still grow okay at that..
My led are probably too bright for my setup so the leaf temp is the same as room temp.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

The pot sitting on the ground can cause an issue with the water not being able to effectively drain from the bottom and the floor is usually colder that the surrounding air. This plant looks cold to me, possibly the roots are not getting enough oxygen, maybe a little hungry.

goodbye95

goodbye95

The pot sitting on the ground can cause an issue with the water not being able to effectively drain from the bottom and the floor is usually colder that the surrounding air. This plant looks cold to me, possibly the roots are not getting enough oxygen, maybe a little hungry.
That is an interesting observation. May i ask how you recognise the signs for these assumptions? It would help me a lot in the future !

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

In my experience, when they get too cold they droop and the leaf surface gets shriveled like it's bunching up to stay warm. Probably has to do with transpiration and VPD. Your leaves also looks like they are holding water due to lack of transpiration or possibly just too much water given. The yellowing could be a sign of root stress/inhibited uptake caused by too much water (not enough oxygen, poor drainage) or low root temps (cold floor). Or it could be a sign that your nutrient ratio is off (hungry), probably low phosphorous.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

I'd start by getting the pot off the floor so it can freely drain and get air circulation underneath to help dry out the bottom of the pot. Watch your watering, let it dry out all the way. If you can, raise the temps even a little.

Blastfact

Blastfact

The light green fade your seeing in your plant is the ferts your using and possible ph issues. 5-1-4 is not a good cannabis npk number for veg. And your plant is in early veg. Soon as your plant has grown enough to have a couple of nodes your off to the veg races. A good npk number for veg is like 4-4-4. Heck your number would be great if it was say a 5-4-4 or 5-3-4. So with a 5-1-4 the plant is starving for "p". That looks like a turf/lawn fert npk? Kind of lost over those npk numbers.

Temp is slightly low and RH is slightly high. 25c-26c with 60% RH would be great! You have a 650w light? What is it and what size enclosure? It's hung really high at 51". Always measure light hang height from the top of the tallest plant. You can use the light to help control temps and humdity if you go about it right and keep great par/ppfd/dli/vpd. So let us what light, tent and controls and tools you have.

As far as the pot being on the floor. The only time that is ever good is when you have absolute control of your environment and your running a flood or bottom feeding/watering in the height of veg and or flower with coco or a highly controlled soil grow. Otherwise you want the pot be it a solid plastic type pot or fabric pot elevated on a pot stand or rack for air circ. Over all you won't know your plant is in trouble until it's to late if it's setting on the floor with a wet ass. During the fall and winter months the lower roots can stay wet/soaked. They can get cold and die. During the warmer months it is a recipe for plain old root rot with wet/soaked roots. Remember what ever you see going on with your plants actually happened 24/48/72 hours ago if not last week.

As far as watering,, amounts, how often. I wish we had a better way to teach new growers how and when to water without using the stupid dry, pot is lite, watered it's heavy bull shit. IMHO it sucks and leads to a lot of dead beneficial bio and a stupid yoyo effect. And it can even catch a experienced grower out. My current 2 x 4 grow is a coco, gaia green grow with de. I use recharge and epson salt mixes every few waterings and top dress the gaia green and de every 3 to 4 weeks. I noticed the humdity was low on my controls. That tells me the humidifier needs refilled and it's been two days since they were watered. Open the tent up and sure enough the humidifier needs refilled. But the plants are doing great! And they don't need watered at all. There just short of 5 weeks old from sprouts and had been drinking a half gallon every two days. So today would be a normal water day. But they have changed up on me and the way the coco feels and looks they may not need watering until Monday.

Madmax

Madmax

My led are probably too bright for my setup so the leaf temp is the same as room temp.
At 10% your lights wouldnt b bright at all..have you the dimmer swwitch turned on...Your at 10% of 650watts which equates to 65 watt and your lights at 1.3 mtrs away from them ..i cannot see how your leaf temp is the same as room temp that far away...something is amiss.those plants can easily take double what you re giving them brother..

goodbye95

goodbye95

In my experience, when they get too cold they droop and the leaf surface gets shriveled like it's bunching up to stay warm. Probably has to do with transpiration and VPD. Your leaves also looks like they are holding water due to lack of transpiration or possibly just too much water given. The yellowing could be a sign of root stress/inhibited uptake caused by too much water (not enough oxygen, poor drainage) or low root temps (cold floor). Or it could be a sign that your nutrient ratio is off (hungry), probably low phosphorous.
I had the same problems at the summer where i tried so HARD to lower the temperatures. i started seedlings at 27C then and could not get lower than that. So i doubt it is the temp what i am searching for to change but i raised the pots from the floor and put them in a wooden rat with a heating mat beneath anyway .As far as transpiration i have invested in everything i need to keep the values stable and a very high end IR thermometer to be as precise as possible . Every time i push transpiration ( like 24 C and 60% RH ) the plants seem to drink more water than they can hold and start dropping and low leaves start to yellow. That is why i raise humidity to stress as little as possible . I am doing something very wrong here cause there are no excuses to have these results with the equipment i have .I monitor seriously EVERYTHING. The funny thing is before i got the equiment i had a 10 dollar PH meter, no EC meter , no controller for the temp and RH ,no Light meter and i was pretty much doing anything by luck . The first grow i got gave me 300 grams in a 3x3 space with a 300watt led lamp. Now my eqipment is worth like 3000 dollars and i cannot get past the seedling stage.

goodbye95

goodbye95

The light green fade your seeing in your plant is the ferts your using and possible ph issues. 5-1-4 is not a good cannabis npk number for veg. And your plant is in early veg. Soon as your plant has grown enough to have a couple of nodes your off to the veg races. A good npk number for veg is like 4-4-4. Heck your number would be great if it was say a 5-4-4 or 5-3-4. So with a 5-1-4 the plant is starving for "p". That looks like a turf/lawn fert npk? Kind of lost over those npk numbers.

Temp is slightly low and RH is slightly high. 25c-26c with 60% RH would be great! You have a 650w light? What is it and what size enclosure? It's hung really high at 51". Always measure light hang height from the top of the tallest plant. You can use the light to help control temps and humdity if you go about it right and keep great par/ppfd/dli/vpd. So let us what light, tent and controls and tools you have.

As far as the pot being on the floor. The only time that is ever good is when you have absolute control of your environment and your running a flood or bottom feeding/watering in the height of veg and or flower with coco or a highly controlled soil grow. Otherwise you want the pot be it a solid plastic type pot or fabric pot elevated on a pot stand or rack for air circ. Over all you won't know your plant is in trouble until it's to late if it's setting on the floor with a wet ass. During the fall and winter months the lower roots can stay wet/soaked. They can get cold and die. During the warmer months it is a recipe for plain old root rot with wet/soaked roots. Remember what ever you see going on with your plants actually happened 24/48/72 hours ago if not last week.

As far as watering,, amounts, how often. I wish we had a better way to teach new growers how and when to water without using the stupid dry, pot is lite, watered it's heavy bull shit. IMHO it sucks and leads to a lot of dead beneficial bio and a stupid yoyo effect. And it can even catch a experienced grower out. My current 2 x 4 grow is a coco, gaia green grow with de. I use recharge and epson salt mixes every few waterings and top dress the gaia green and de every 3 to 4 weeks. I noticed the humdity was low on my controls. That tells me the humidifier needs refilled and it's been two days since they were watered. Open the tent up and sure enough the humidifier needs refilled. But the plants are doing great! And they don't need watered at all. There just short of 5 weeks old from sprouts and had been drinking a half gallon every two days. So today would be a normal water day. But they have changed up on me and the way the coco feels and looks they may not need watering until Monday.
If my PH is wrong it means my ph meter is faulty. I have a bluelab Ph meter and i water exaclty at 6.5 every time. A far as the Npk ratio I have also a fertilizer of 4-3-6 which i am gonna use in the next watering ( i plan on starting at 400 ppm ). As for the temp , i cannot get past 23,5 but i invested in a heater which should come in 3 days from now and i will try to maintain the temp and rh to the values you provide above and i will see how it goes from there. I managed to raise the lights at 150 cm . The instruments i use are Spiderfarmer SF-7000, Ec primaklima fan 680m/h, Ph meter by Bluelab ,Ec meter by Bluelab , Growbase Pro controller (search for German controller), FLIR Ir spot thermometer and a cheap lux meter which i do not use, I have also made a custom humidifier with a fog machine inside a plastic box with a fan pushing the fog everytime it switches on( works like a charm ). I also raised the pot from the floor and put then above a wooden rack with a heating mat beneath. Mostly the problems started when i started monitoring VPD and tried to keep it at 0.8 etc. From the summer till here i ve thrown away about 25 seeds that made it to seedling and died. No excuses with that equiment .

goodbye95

goodbye95

At 10% your lights wouldnt b bright at all..have you the dimmer swwitch turned on...Your at 10% of 650watts which equates to 65 watt and your lights at 1.3 mtrs away from them ..i cannot see how your leaf temp is the same as room temp that far away...something is amiss.those plants can easily take double what you re giving them brother..
i know . there is something else . but the leaf temp is higher indeed. I notice it gets lower just the day i water them and then it goes up again. Also the growth is starting the day i water then and keeps on for the day after then it gets stunned again .

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
If my PH is wrong it means my ph meter is faulty. I have a bluelab Ph meter and i water exaclty at 6.5 every time. A far as the Npk ratio I have also a fertilizer of 4-3-6 which i am gonna use in the next watering ( i plan on starting at 400 ppm ). As for the temp , i cannot get past 23,5 but i invested in a heater which should come in 3 days from now and i will try to maintain the temp and rh to the values you provide above and i will see how it goes from there. I managed to raise the lights at 150 cm . The instruments i use are Spiderfarmer SF-7000, Ec primaklima fan 680m/h, Ph meter by Bluelab ,Ec meter by Bluelab , Growbase Pro controller (search for German controller), FLIR Ir spot thermometer and a cheap lux meter which i do not use, I have also made a custom humidifier with a fog machine inside a plastic box with a fan pushing the fog everytime it switches on( works like a charm ). I also raised the pot from the floor and put then above a wooden rack with a heating mat beneath. Mostly the problems started when i started monitoring VPD and tried to keep it at 0.8 etc. From the summer till here i ve thrown away about 25 seeds that made it to seedling and died. No excuses with that equiment .
ok, i think your trying to hard, don’t take it personally but it’s not your equipment..
i can say i’ve never lost a seedling every seed pops.. i’ll be posting my method tomorrow on my sunday update as i just put some in a glass of water/h2o2 mix till morning..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
As far for the difference in leaf temp and room temp
don’t worry about that too much.. just make sure you have a wet dry cycle, not always but sometimes i let seedling or small plants if healthy go a day without water to encourage roots to grow looking for it..
i need to go through your thread to help you out, i’ll do that tomorrow.,
hang in there, your gonna be a pro soon..

goodbye95

goodbye95

ok, i think your trying to hard, don’t take it personally but it’s not your equipment..
i can say i’ve never lost a seedling every seed pops.. i’ll be posting my method tomorrow on my sunday update as i just put some in a glass of water/h2o2 mix till morning..
you know. It is really frustrating to have invested in all these and fail so hard. Also it is very sad that i all this time i was doing everything by luck without equiment and got crazy results for an in experienced grower and now that i have all these i cannot get past seedling stage.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
you know. It is really frustrating to have invested in all these and fail so hard. Also it is very sad that i all this time i was doing everything by luck without equiment and got crazy results for an in experienced grower and now that i have all these i cannot get past seedling stage.
you will, maybe you’ll like method, watch it tomorrow evening.,
are these seeds your using bought from a breeder/seed bank or seeds from weed you smoke?

Top Bottom