Seedlings abit droopy.

• Thread starter Brettdawg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Enforcer

Enforcer

I think of it this way if the feed is low their should be no salt built up in first 2-3 weeks might be wrong , thats just my theory makes sence tho lol

Here’s how you get salt buildup. Say you water with a 1.0EC solution and let it dry. Some of those nutrients salts will dry on the coco fibers. When you water again with 1.0EC solution, some of those dried salts will dissolve and raise the EC in the medium. This effect is cumulative and gets worst each time the coco drys out. Before you know it, your feeding a 1.0EC in and you’re getting 2.5EC coming out and wondering why the plant looks like it has nutrient deficiencies.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Here’s how you get salt buildup. Say you water with a 1.0EC solution and let it dry. Some of those nutrients salts will dry on the coco fibers. When you water again with 1.0EC solution, some of those dried salts will dissolve and raise the EC in the medium. This effect is cumulative and gets worst each time the coco drys out. Before you know it, your feeding a 1.0EC in and you’re getting 2.5EC coming out and wondering why the plant looks like it has nutrient deficiencies.
I get all the science behind it it does all make sence , but it just dont work for me .

Doing coco as the say you can don't work out for me,, do you use coco and is is pure brick coco not a ready mix

In did say yesterday he should measure his e.c & run off especially when he did that flush to give him a idea whats going on, if i get sick plant I'll mini top flush and measure my run off you want if it was lock out. But what usually fixes my plants is to let them dry a bit not really dry like soil

Last edited:
Enforcer

Enforcer

I get all the science behind it it does all make sence , but it just dont work for me .

Doing coco as the say you can don't work out for me,, do you use coco and is is pure brick coco not a ready mix

I do grow in coco. At this point I have several years growing in coco. I run a perpetual garden on a 2 tent system so that is several harvests each year. I have used GH brick coco, canna coco brick, canna coco ready mix in the bag, and roots organic brick. I always wash and buffer the coco with a solution of 200-300ppm of calmag. Even the bag stuff. But the bag stuff needed less washes. I’ve tried several different watering approaches for small plants in coco and so far, putting them immediately on the drippers 2-3 times a day, just to runoff, has worked the best.

With that said there are a lot of ways it may not have worked for you. If you used organic nutes, they don’t play well with multiple daily feeds. If you use high ppm tap water (over 200ppm). If you don’t get runoff each time you water. If you don’t increase the events per day as the plant grows. All of that will cause issues.

Ph 007

Ph 007

These where Potter up few days ago they where looking very health in clone machine. I then Potted up into coco 6" square pot and top fed feed 0.6e.c to run off , the next day looking not great and starting to go from lush green to yellowing slow growth , so I let then dry for 3 while days and today the coco is a lot dryer and they now starting to green up a bit and grow, so I fed today as that was 3.5 day with not watering
Video below to show how dry the coco was, also this bagged coco is coco very fine coco like tea bags if you ripped them open, I think that's why it can be over waterd it's coco Pete then is it?
Is coco brick more fibers less bits?

Well their should be a video here but when I upload is says this
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. ??

Ph 007

Ph 007

OK just wanted to say this

Iv been bottom feeding plants that are in flower I have been bottom feeding and root grew like crazy plant looks really good now, but last 2 days iv noticed a slight bit of over feeding so iv been bottom flushing svrruother day and it seem to be helping they problem

I also have one in veg in s 6" pot I was top feeding the looked a bit shitty I stated leaving them dry kotr between waterings they did purk up very nice, but after 2 days of bottom this they stated to look a little shitty, so I tip fed at 0.6/0.8e.c I run top feed through till i got a very good run off I really waters the shit into them then I emptied the run off in the tray into a jug I mesured the e.c of that run off , it was high 1.0/1.2,, so in was 0.6/0.8 and out was 1.0/1.2.
So I guess leaving then dry a bit has finally proved it's not so good and I have salt build up the e.c jumped a lot

I still think I was and do over water in coco but its normally at the beginning of potting up my cutting into coco. I maybe need to let dry a little between watering till the roots grow more..
But i shall be trying a cutting and wwteribf daily till good rub off to see how it plays out..

Wondering if you gut can give some info here

I'd like to use coco in a auto pot system less hastle, but I'm worried doing this is will cause bad salt build up,

I was thinking using the auto pot the tray under the pot will never be empty, it will.have 5-10mm of water in it 24/7
Will this stop salt build up as the bottom feeding will always be wet and stop salt build up because it can't set out..

Also lol

I was even thinking of setting up some sort of east system so my coco run off to easy gets drained or pumped out to a bucket or tray so I cab emptly it easy..

I was thinking i have a old wilma system and using that topnhand water then every week just drain the bottom waste ress with a pump into a bucket and throwing out..

I also these the look OK their called RHIZOSTANDS ..

Im wondering if you guys can think of a good system for watering coco to wast
At moment in using a auto pot tray under my pot so any run off would need to be sucked out by hand pain in the ass.
I need a system that is easy to handle and get rid of run off..
I use next above my plants that in train then through so lifting pots to empty run off is a no no,

What run off to easy you guy got?

Enforcer

Enforcer

OK just wanted to say this

Iv been bottom feeding plants that are in flower I have been bottom feeding and root grew like crazy plant looks really good now, but last 2 days iv noticed a slight bit of over feeding so iv been bottom flushing svrruother day and it seem to be helping they problem

I also have one in veg in s 6" pot I was top feeding the looked a bit shitty I stated leaving them dry kotr between waterings they did purk up very nice, but after 2 days of bottom this they stated to look a little shitty, so I tip fed at 0.6/0.8e.c I run top feed through till i got a very good run off I really waters the shit into them then I emptied the run off in the tray into a jug I mesured the e.c of that run off , it was high 1.0/1.2,, so in was 0.6/0.8 and out was 1.0/1.2.
So I guess leaving then dry a bit has finally proved it's not so good and I have salt build up the e.c jumped a lot

I still think I was and do over water in coco but its normally at the beginning of potting up my cutting into coco. I maybe need to let dry a little between watering till the roots grow more..
But i shall be trying a cutting and wwteribf daily till good rub off to see how it plays out..

Wondering if you gut can give some info here

I'd like to use coco in a auto pot system less hastle, but I'm worried doing this is will cause bad salt build up,

I was thinking using the auto pot the tray under the pot will never be empty, it will.have 5-10mm of water in it 24/7
Will this stop salt build up as the bottom feeding will always be wet and stop salt build up because it can't set out..

Also lol

I was even thinking of setting up some sort of east system so my coco run off to easy gets drained or pumped out to a bucket or tray so I cab emptly it easy..

I was thinking i have a old wilma system and using that topnhand water then every week just drain the bottom waste ress with a pump into a bucket and throwing out..

I also these the look OK their called RHIZOSTANDS ..

Im wondering if you guys can think of a good system for watering coco to wast
At moment in using a auto pot tray under my pot so any run off would need to be sucked out by hand pain in the ass.
I need a system that is easy to handle and get rid of run off..
I use next above my plants that in train then through so lifting pots to empty run off is a no no,

What run off to easy you guy got?

I would just worry about the standing water all the time, rotting out the roots after they fill the pot. But honestly I’m not sure. I’ve never tried it.

As far as runoff management, there I got you covered. This is my setup:

B0135F26 3F68 45CD B34B 2C5BE5D017D3

The manifold delivers the nutrient solution to the plants. The plants are suspended over saucers with a riser. Runoff is collected by the saucers, gravity drains to the sump bucket, and is pumped out using a small aquarium pump and a timer. You could also spend a little more and get one of those pumps that kick on at a predetermined level. This is an early version. I now have bulkhead fittings on both ends of the drain hose connecting the saucers to the sump bucket, no more leaks.😉

Ph 007

Ph 007

Tidy mate looks good and home/made :)

That looks like it recircles the feed not to wast and dump

If I was gonna redircle the nutrients is to dwc as same work in guess adjustibf the res ,, I like the idea of top feed and get rid of run off not reuse less fussing about with ph and e.c

And I'm having second thought's about auto pot and coco iv been hand watering and it looks like bottom feeding with auto will be pain in ass to control salt build up..

I wqw looking at these systems not got money yet tho, so my plant might be one big tray ib a Angle 4 pots in the tray and just use a water pump and manualy pump it out, bit of work but cheap lol

Ph 007

Ph 007

Tidy mate looks good and home/made :)

That looks like it recircles the feed not to wast and dump

If I was gonna redircle the nutrients is to dwc as same work in guess adjustibf the res ,, I like the idea of top feed and get rid of run off not reuse less fussing about with ph and e.c

And I'm having second thought's about auto pot and coco iv been hand watering and it looks like bottom feeding with auto will be pain in ass to control salt build up..

I wqw looking at these systems not got money yet tho, so my plant might be one big tray ib a Angle 4 pots in the tray and just use a water pump and manualy pump it out, bit of work but cheap lol
Do you water daily and is your coco
Alwaye soaking wet?

Sorry this system I was looking at could make my own not got the hed to piss about finding connectore and shit

Be a while tgi need chash

Enforcer

Enforcer

No recirculating here. I don’t think that’s wise in coco. It’s pumped to an outdoor flower garden. The main 28 gal res is outside the tent. I start at 3x a day on the drippers until runoff. As the plants grow and dry out the coco faster, I add more watering events to keep the coco always moist. Even at full saturation coco has enough oxygen for the roots. I’m usually at 4x a day by late veg. 5x a day by week 3 flower and I add a sixth event in the middle of the dark period around week 5 of flower. Always the same time every day and always to runoff.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Hey man, sounds like you have some experience with coco. So I’m just going to give you my thoughts and you can decide.

I have tried several different ways of starting plants in coco. I won’t go into all of them now, but I’ve done a few. What I’ve found is that feeding right away gets the best results with a coco/perlite mix. For rooted clones I start at an EC of 1.0. For sprouted seeds I start them at an EC of 0.8. I feed just to runoff 3x a day. However, I think the seeds may like 2x a day better. More to come on that later. This is from day one. Coco is not soil and must be approached differently. It should never dry out. Weight of the pot is irrelevant with coco. It should never dry out. Sorry, that is just very important and needs repeating. I know you said you have been using coco with clones for years just fine, but I bet you’ve had some nutrient tip burn and random deficiencies in late flower and wondered where it came from. It is very important to feed coco at least daily.

Just as an example of what I’m advising. I happen to have 3 Strawberries & Cream from Connoisseur genetics going. I put the germinated seeds directly into 1gal pots of Roots Organic brick coco with 30% perlite on Oct 13th. They got Remo Nutrients veg mix 3x a day once they pushed their first serrated leaves. They are under a 400w MH light. I just took these pictures now. View attachment 905652View attachment 905653

To update everyone, here are the plants about 26 days later. Still feeding 3x a day to runoff. I’ve now increased the EC to 1.2 and they were transplanted into 3 gal fabric pots on November 16th. In their short life they have already been topped once, LST, and pruned twice. I have quoted the original post of the plants above for easy comparison.

Ph 007

Ph 007

To update everyone, here are the plants about 26 days later. Still feeding 3x a day to runoff. I’ve now increased the EC to 1.2 and they were transplanted into 3 gal fabric pots on November 16th. In their short life they have already been topped once, LST, and pruned twice. I have quoted the original post of the plants above for easy comparison.

View attachment 914059
The video don't wek mate, if I upload from my mobile my videos.also don't work. It sure why..

Mine are in flower having 1.5-2 litres a day one feed to run off, I'd like to try note like you but seems a wast of nutrients unless it pays and give that bit note yield

Enforcer

Enforcer

The video don't wek mate, if I upload from my mobile my videos.also don't work. It sure why..

Mine are in flower having 1.5-2 litres a day one feed to run off, I'd like to try note like you but seems a wast of nutrients unless it pays and give that bit note yield

The video works when I watch it from the thread. But here are a couple pictures. This is before and after some leaf pruning to open up the middle of the plant. The pictures were taken Nov 23rd.

0368FE92 3592 4D18 8169 A0A2A2997D17

0225A509 F824 4334 8E11 C1D9FDEE2163

Top Bottom