Sexing Seeds?

• Thread starter Pakalolo Laau
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

Hello fellow farmers,

Have any of you out there tried sexing the seeds before planting? I was thought this by my uncle a while ago. I just noticed that they are teaching that in the canna colleges too. Here is my question..... If this method has a high success rate, wouldn't it make sense for breeders to pack their seeds via this method? Reason I say this is because, if this method is true, any breeder out there can either provide a better product(more females), or they can rip us all off.

Think about that for a bit..... I myself have had experiences with all males in seed packs. Coincidence, I don't know, but I find that weird. I noticed that with one breeder so far. Different strains, same results, majority all male. 1 female in a pack if lucky. I know its not anything to do with germination and the way I grow because other packs from other breeders have thrown a lot more females.

Must be just me, but it does bring up red flags when that happens. What do you farmers think? Any of you have had similar experiences? Would be nice to know if any has had that experience so far.....

Mahalo, PL.

J

Jalisco Kid

What are they teaching in these canna colleges about telling the sex of a seed by looking at it? JK

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
by the shape I suppose?...

Im subbed to see what the breeders say

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

I can't see how it would benefit any breeder to purposely send out 90%-100% male seeds. Seems it would really limit repeat customers.

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

by the shape I suppose?...

Im subbed to see what the breeders say

I wish I had copied and pasted that graph. Let me see if I can do a copy and bring it over here. My uncle swears by this method. He's been doing it since the 70's.

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

I can't see how it would benefit any breeder to purposely send out 90%-100% male seeds. Seems it would really limit repeat customers.

It would benefit the breeders with return business if they used this method, rather than do the random method. Getting 10 seeds and seeing 8 males and 1 female(the other 1 didn't pop), is getting stale. Various packs from same breeder, 90% male. This method needs to be used so the paying customer can at least have a better percentage of gals. Especially when you pay top dollar.

homebrew420

homebrew420

As an aspiring breeder I can say with ceraintythat I would bother to go through the seeds. Who the hell has that kind of time? If it works that could be a real novel discovery. For the home grower. Some males impart a high ratio of males. Its as simple as that. I highly doubt a company would waste the man hours to select all males to send out. Just my 2cents

Peace

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

As an aspiring breeder I can say with ceraintythat I would bother to go through the seeds. Who the hell has that kind of time? If it works that could be a real novel discovery. For the home grower. Some males impart a high ratio of males. Its as simple as that. I highly doubt a company would waste the man hours to select all males to send out. Just my 2cents

Peace

I'm not trying to imply that a breeder is wasting time to pack males. I am saying it would be a good waste of time to go through the seeds before packing, so at least you give your customer a better ratio of females to males. I do agree what you have said that some males are way to strong, that they produce more males in the seed. Which would make good sense to go thru the seeds and at least give your customers a better product in the end. If that doesn't sound like customer satisfaction and service, then Idk what is.

Fact of it is this. When someone spends $$$ on any product. It should be of a certain standard and quality. If that can't be adhered to, then how can one charge $$$ for it. If at any cost, it should be cheaper if the standard is not met.

Here is an example. I would pay 150 for A's gear easily. Reason is simple, every pack from A has produced lots of gals in my personal experience. I will no longer be paying a 100 or more from breeder B, because all of his packs have produced mostly males from my experience. Then I will spread the word in my circle and others, so they don't spend $$$ and waste time.

If there is a method to at least increase the odds for the satisfied customer, then why not do it. If not, then show me the breeders that will do this, and I won't waste my time with the rest. Simple as that. Its even worth paying a few more $$$ for the increase in odds. Just my opinion based on personal experience.

I also breed as well. When patients ask me for genetics, I hand them beans selected with this method. No charge. It feels so good to know that I increased their odds of not wasting precious time in growing their medicine. Especially CANCER patients. They have no time to waste in growing. With this in mind, and knowing that these people need help, I waste the little or minimal time to look at the seed. The big thanks I receive from the patient later is the best feeling one can get.
PL

P.S. Its even worse when there is a method that would be helpful for business all the way around, and nobody uses it at all. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

Here is a simple chart.
Seed sexid 1

Got it. PL.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I'm not trying to imply that a breeder is wasting time to pack males. I am saying it would be a good waste of time to go through the seeds before packing, so at least you give your customer a better ratio of females to males. I do agree what you have said that some males are way to strong, that they produce more males in the seed. Which would make good sense to go thru the seeds and at least give your customers a better product in the end. If that doesn't sound like customer satisfaction and service, then Idk what is.

Fact of it is this. When someone spends $$$ on any product. It should be of a certain standard and quality. If that can't be adhered to, then how can one charge $$$ for it. If at any cost, it should be cheaper if the standard is not met.

Here is an example. I would pay 150 for A's gear easily. Reason is simple, every pack from A has produced lots of gals in my personal experience. I will no longer be paying a 100 or more from breeder B, because all of his packs have produced mostly males from my experience. Then I will spread the word in my circle and others, so they don't spend $$$ and waste time.

If there is a method to at least increase the odds for the satisfied customer, then why not do it. If not, then show me the breeders that will do this, and I won't waste my time with the rest. Simple as that. Its even worth paying a few more $$$ for the increase in odds. Just my opinion based on personal experience.

I also breed as well. When patients ask me for genetics, I hand them beans selected with this method. No charge. It feels so good to know that I increased their odds of not wasting precious time in growing their medicine. Especially CANCER patients. They have no time to waste in growing. With this in mind, and knowing that these people need help, I waste the little or minimal time to look at the seed. The big thanks I receive from the patient later is the best feeling one can get.
PL

P.S. Its even worse when there is a method that would be helpful for business all the way around, and nobody uses it at all. Things that make you go hmmmmm.
Intense ....so do you mind sharing specifics in your results it sounds like you could start a grow log backing up those results with pics abd testers to back you up, frijoles you might be on to something

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Do you really think a breeder would take the time to look at each seed and separate them?

Aligee

Aligee

Lets see some "proof", cause i dont believe half the 'ish i read especially on the internet! i hand pick ALL my beans, but who's really going to get a magnifying glass and go thru tens of thousands of seeds, i dont know what seed co. beans are giving you all males, but i can say my beans fall in the 50/50 male to female ratio almost everytime! if you want all female get fems or start from clone! my 2 cents...

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

Lets see some "proof", cause i dont believe half the 'ish i read especially on the internet! i hand pick ALL my beans, but who's really going to get a magnifying glass and go thru tens of thousands of seeds, i dont know what seed co. beans are giving you all males, but i can say my beans fall in the 50/50 male to female ratio almost everytime! if you want all female get fems or start from clone! my 2 cents...

I agree with you with the 50/50 deal(not 80-90% males). 50/50 is at least worth it. I noticed you also said you hand pick your beans, which might be one thing more special than others. I do purchase fems, but not all strains come in fem form. Btw, I was waiting for your last drop to hit the farm too. You had a few in there that looked good to get. Maybe I wouldn't have had all these males. LOL. Seriously speaking.
I used to laugh at the old timers, but for some reason they always seem more right than wrong. Peace. PL.

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

Intense ....so do you mind sharing specifics in your results it sounds like you could start a grow log backing up those results with pics abd testers to back you up, frijoles you might be on to something

I'll try it for sure. Curiosity has got me interested for sure. Wondering if the same as fems also. I'll try it on both. Its getting a little warmer to pop beans. Should be perfect to try it out.

Top Bottom