Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LaVirtue

LaVirtue

Hello,

I have been growing on a very small scale for about 4 years. I am always trying to learn more about growing and I know that I have so much more to learn. I also know that it's probably a life long process!

I started with auto-flowers in a 2 x 2 tent with a horrible LED light. I also experimented a few summers with some photo-period strains with outside grows here at 42 degrees north.

A few months ago, I got a slightly bigger 3 x 3 tent and a new light - a Spider Farmer SF2000. Right now, I have 4 plants growing in a mix of 1/2 Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil and 1/2 Promix Michorrizae. I have 2 Mass Medical Panama Pupil, 1 Mass Medical Prayer Pupil, and 1 unknown origin Orange Sunshine.

All 4 plants were clones, and I let them veg for about 3 1/2 weeks. They have been in flower for about 4 weeks now. They are really healthy. I have been feeding them mostly with Cyco nutrients but I added MOAB recently.

I have a family member (my Dad) who smokes cannabis many times daily to relieve his extreme back pain. He is 75 and is set in his ways, He typically buys the premium highest potency, most expensive THC weed from the medical dispensary. So far, he says my weed is not strong enough to help his pain. He will smoke it, but says that it doesn't help enough with his pain.

My question is, should I add an additional light that has UVB light in it? Would that increase my THC production? I have read that this helps.

Also, my Prayer Pupil has been tested at 30%. When breeders say that their pot tests at a certain level, can you take that at face value?

I completely understand that the benefits of cannabis is not just with the THC level and that its a combination of the entourage effect of various terpenes and cannabinoids. However, the only thing my Dad cares about it the THC!

Any thoughts or ideas? I appreciate it very much!!!!

LaVirtue

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Man you are crazy to not do it. I use 2 uvb fluorescents and i got incredible sticky and high thc than without. It may had something to do with the weight too because i got more than expected and what i noticed was they were nice sicky dense big nugs. Not fluffy. And soft like sharman.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hello,

I have been growing on a very small scale for about 4 years. I am always trying to learn more about growing and I know that I have so much more to learn. I also know that it's probably a life long process!

I started with auto-flowers in a 2 x 2 tent with a horrible LED light. I also experimented a few summers with some photo-period strains with outside grows here at 42 degrees north.

A few months ago, I got a slightly bigger 3 x 3 tent and a new light - a Spider Farmer SF2000. Right now, I have 4 plants growing in a mix of 1/2 Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil and 1/2 Promix Michorrizae. I have 2 Mass Medical Panama Pupil, 1 Mass Medical Prayer Pupil, and 1 unknown origin Orange Sunshine.

All 4 plants were clones, and I let them veg for about 3 1/2 weeks. They have been in flower for about 4 weeks now. They are really healthy. I have been feeding them mostly with Cyco nutrients but I added MOAB recently.

Working your way up is half the fun. What sucks is the boneyard of bad decisions in lights and stuff that we all acquire. I got some crappy blurple LEDs somewhere too...

I have a family member (my Dad) who smokes cannabis many times daily to relieve his extreme back pain. He is 75 and is set in his ways, He typically buys the premium highest potency, most expensive THC weed from the medical dispensary. So far, he says my weed is not strong enough to help his pain. He will smoke it, but says that it doesn't help enough with his pain.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Tolerance can be a bitch. What would be a nice smoke for some people would be nothing for someone with a high tolerance. Don't take it as an indictment on you or your skills. Lets figure out how to boost you up a bit 😉

My question is, should I add an additional light that has UVB light in it? Would that increase my THC production? I have read that this helps.

Yes, UVB can, when used correctly, improve trichome production as the plant tries to grow its own sunscreen. Truly tho, UVB can be harmful and dangerous, and would not be my go to next move. There is probably a group of other low hanging fruit that should be attempted first.

Also, my Prayer Pupil has been tested at 30%. When breeders say that their pot tests at a certain level, can you take that at face value?

I completely understand that the benefits of cannabis is not just with the THC level and that its a combination of the entourage effect of various terpenes and cannabinoids. However, the only thing my Dad cares about it the THC!

LaVirtue

No, you absolutely cannot take that at face value. There is a ton that goes into this. It is just marketing crap.

Are you familiar with how breeding works, and more importantly how to stabilize a strain to minimize the resulting cultivars expressed via seeds? Let me give you an example.

ACDC is a strain that is supposed to be all CBD. You can buy ACDC seeds. You should not be able to. This is because ACDC is actually a phenotype of Cannatonic, meaning that some Cannatonic seeds produce an "ACDC" plant. The ratio is about 1 ACDC pheno per 20 seeds. You have to be really friggin lucky to get that one in 20 seed that they advertise as virtually all CBD. To get all 10 in your pack to grow out that way - statistically impossible.

As far as potency goes, there are quite a few things you can try, but I'm a bit pressed for time now, I'll log back on later tonight and fill in some blanks.

welcome to the farm.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

...My question is, should I add an additional light that has UVB light in it? Would that increase my THC production? I have read that this helps.

LaVirtue

I've used UVB for years. Genetics and growing healthy plants to maturity is more important, but there is a noticeable increase in potency.

That doesn't mean it will satisfy any particular person's needs. Is Prayer Pupil similar to the kind of weed that works for your father?

I have tried very high potency weed that I could barely feel.

Have you made hash out of your trim? That might do the job.

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

Working your way up is half the fun. What sucks is the boneyard of bad decisions in lights and stuff that we all acquire. I got some crappy blurple LEDs somewhere too...

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Tolerance can be a bitch. What would be a nice smoke for some people would be nothing for someone with a high tolerance. Don't take it as an indictment on you or your skills. Lets figure out how to boost you up a bit 😉

Yes, UVB can, when used correctly, improve trichome production as the plant tries to grow its own sunscreen. Truly tho, UVB can be harmful and dangerous, and would not be my go to next move. There is probably a group of other low hanging fruit that should be attempted first.

No, you absolutely cannot take that at face value. There is a ton that goes into this. It is just marketing crap.

Are you familiar with how breeding works, and more importantly how to stabilize a strain to minimize the resulting cultivars expressed via seeds? Let me give you an example.

ACDC is a strain that is supposed to be all CBD. You can buy ACDC seeds. You should not be able to. This is because ACDC is actually a phenotype of Cannatonic, meaning that some Cannatonic seeds produce an "ACDC" plant. The ratio is about 1 ACDC pheno per 20 seeds. You have to be really friggin lucky to get that one in 20 seed that they advertise as virtually all CBD. To get all 10 in your pack to grow out that way - statistically impossible.

As far as potency goes, there are quite a few things you can try, but I'm a bit pressed for time now, I'll log back on later tonight and fill in some blanks.

welcome to the farm.
Thank you! I appreciate your help!

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

Man you are crazy to not do it. I use 2 uvb fluorescents and i got incredible sticky and high thc than without. It may had something to do with the weight too because i got more than expected and what i noticed was they were nice sicky dense big nugs. Not fluffy. And soft like sharman.
What kind of fixture and UVB bulb do you use?

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

I've used UVB for years. Genetics and growing healthy plants to maturity is more important, but there is a noticeable increase in potency.

That doesn't mean it will satisfy any particular person's needs. Is Prayer Pupil similar to the kind of weed that works for your father?

I have tried very high potency weed that I could barely feel.

Have you made hash out of your trim? That might do the job.
Thank you - he is better off with a more Indica dominant. I was trying to grow Prayer Pupil, which is a hybrid, for him because it supposedly can reach 30%. What size UVB lights do you use?

sshz

sshz

On the website they also have an article on how to use them and when........ and a 10% off coupon should pop up for first time orders.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Another option. I ran 2 of these in a 4x8. They have become yet another part in the pile of misfit toys.

At least they will sterilize your grow space if that is what you are going for.

I personally do not recommend this much by any stretch.

IMG 2372
IMG 2373
IMG 2374

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here is what I found:

These UVB bulbs will definitely effect the amount and consistency of trichomes. (notice I did not say THC)

They will make you turn cloudy and then amber pre-maturely

I think the overall effect on the plant is detrimental. TLC testing the resulting harvest DOES NOT show higher total cannabinoids in my grows. It just makes crap more finicky and you have to watch your eyes carefully. Can't just poke your head in the tent.

If you are gonna do it, I'd completely recommend start small.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Oh man. Now you've gotten me started thinking about using UVB to sterilize a mushroom chamber.

sshz

sshz

There are many studies that show the addition of uv-b will add up to 27% more thc to the plants. This is well documented. But, it’s important to keep the bulbs at least 3 ft. away and start slowly, around 20-30 minutes a day and work up from there. It’s easy to screw up as indicas with wider leaves react more poorly than sativas. Watch your plants daily, and if they react poorly, raise the uv-b’s up higher.

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

On the website they also have an article on how to use them and when........ and a 10% off coupon should pop up for first time orders.

Thank you .....Now, after reading that information, I see that I don't have enough height in my tent. I can't hang them 3 feet about the canopy. My plants are about 24 inches from the top of the tent. So maybe I can't add this kind of light after all....

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

There are many studies that show the addition of uv-b will add up to 27% more thc to the plants. This is well documented. But, it’s important to keep the bulbs at least 3 ft. away and start slowly, around 20-30 minutes a day and work up from there. It’s easy to screw up as indicas with wider leaves react more poorly than sativas. Watch your plants daily, and if they react poorly, raise the uv-b’s up higher.

I wish everyone would stop saying it like a marketing ploy. The max recorded thc bump is 4%. The big number is of total weight. An example is 20%thc to 24% thc. And thats the rare maximum amount. Also only thc raises. Not cbd or other cannabinoids. Which is useless for a better high. Only good for more profit if the dispensary is pricing according to thc content.

if it mattered so much indoor hps weed wouldnt be more potent than outdoor with the full sun spectrum. But outdoor rarely is more potent than well grown indoor.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yes, I have read (I assume most of?) them. I did not achieve that result with that large a UV source. I received no result with the little T5s. At least in my lab. But there are way to many variables for me to say it does not work, just that it is not some magic bullet.

I'm starting a new thing right now every Friday I am going to TLC test something. Tonight it is testing cannabinoids in 4 buds from a recent harvest. I also took samples of the same buds to a lab yesterday and I will have the mass spectrometer results on Monday or Tuesday. I'm using this opportunity to verify my at home TLC testing is accurate.

This is how I know what is happening in my plants as I make changes like adding UV.

In my other 4x8 I just installed 60W Far Red and 60W UVA. I'm about to move a group of plants into that tent to flower, and we will see the effects of those 2 spectrums as they grow.

All of this testing is about coaxing out minor cannabinoids. I've got a feel for how to tune a plant backed by personal testing.

Gotta go upload the video, I'll be back later if you want to get deeper into UV. Post the link to a study so we are talking off the same paper. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on UV A B or C

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I wish everyone would stop saying it like a marketing ploy. The max recorded thc bump is 4%. The big number is of total weight. An example is 20%thc to 24% thc. And thats the rare maximum amount. Also only thc raises. Not cbd or other cannabinoids. Which is useless for a better high. Only good for more profit if the dispensary is pricing according to thc content.

if it mattered so much indoor hps weed wouldnt be more potent than outdoor with the full sun spectrum. But outdoor rarely is more potent than well grown indoor.

Yeah, what he said!

Fight! Fight! Fight! JK

Top Bottom