Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Indiva710

Indiva710

Throw that uv crap in the garbage!!!!! It doesn't work its a myth that's it!!!!!! It does not increase secandaries one bit it only damages them and decreases don't waste your time or money period

Indiva710

Indiva710

Ya call fluence or scynceled they will tell you the Samething I'm trying to get the research paper for it from fluence and will post it when I do

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Throw that uv crap in the garbage!!!!! It doesn't work its a myth that's it!!!!!! It does not increase secandaries one bit it only damages them and decreases don't waste your time or money period
The purpose of this thread is to learn once and for all if there is any merit to this UVB. There are people firmly on both sides of the argument.

I'll finish the test and we'll see. But I can't go into this with the headspace that I already know the answer. I've searched far and wide, and all I can find are marketing claims, bro-science, and papers / tests that do not replicate the conditions that most growers use. I have never seen a series of photographs that show the amount and color of trichomes changing day by day, or incremental cannabinoid testing through the UV exposure. If it exists, I'd love to see it.

This is certainly not the be all end all test, but it should show wether there is anything to UV, and if further study is warranted. Results will need to be interpreted by the individual for their desired outcome - if CBD is destroyed while THC increases - that is a result - but one I'm sure only some will find useful in their grows. At least we will know.

Indiva710

Indiva710

I agree there is alot of bs out there but fluence has done tons of research on this very topic and it's a fact uv damages DNA of the plant.. And also was reading new evidence that blue light makes the plant do the samething as it does with uvs and all about reds.. But you also should be pulling the reds 1-2wks to chop and you can get the same plant response but non of the bs..
I'll post the paper when I get it from fluence as I would love to check it out for sure.. But they are not the only ones who has done studies either... But it is awesome your doing testing like this though....keep up the great work...

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I agree there is alot of bs out there but fluence has done tons of research on this very topic and it's a fact uv damages DNA of the plant.. And also was reading new evidence that blue light makes the plant do the samething as it does with uvs and all about reds.. But you also should be pulling the reds 1-2wks to chop and you can get the same plant response but non of the bs..
I'll post the paper when I get it from fluence as I would love to check it out for sure.. But they are not the only ones who has done studies either... But it is awesome your doing testing like this though....keep up the great work...
The technicians who run these "studies" for Fluence etc are people happy to set their credibility on fire for a paycheck.

Science: Show the full data from a study, show full methods so someone else can try the experiment, or gtfo. Principles are the same for everyone.

Sorry to come in hot. I don't have anything against you. I'm just sick of being told this is stupid because someone read a paper or two.

Indiva710

Indiva710

It's all good I hear Ya and I agree which is also why I said I'd love to read the research they have and hopefully can get it but will c on that one Def not holding my breath...

And scynceled has a paper they are coming out with that will back it up as well.. Well from what I've heard but I'll believe it when I see it and all of it.

Indiva710

Indiva710

However they do the research to see if they should add uv lights to their current setups or to put it into a entirely new product.. So ya I wouldn't say it's only about a paycheck...but the new specific study I was talking about is in the process of being published and all so will see...

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
It's all good I hear Ya and I agree which is also why I said I'd love to read the research they have and hopefully can get it but will c on that one Def not holding my breath...

And scynceled has a paper they are coming out with that will back it up as well.. Well from what I've heard but I'll believe it when I see it and all of it.
If you like reading studies, i linked a great one here. http://milsonmilson.me/index.php/2021/03/02/uv/

Indiva710

Indiva710

Thankyou I'll Def have to read that.. So I currently have solacure flowerpower and sg-1 bulbs but been second guessing on using them this grow actually.. I mean uv totally makes sense and all I mean I bought the solacures for a reason and all but then again the newer research has me 2nd guessing yet again and researching shit all over again so I might have to join in the study and help do what I can too as I have my 8x4 too..

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You are welcome to join in, the more the merrier!

I have a mental rating system I employ when I hear content/studies about "X", in this case X is UV

The highest possible rating is given to people / places that are doing peer reviewed science and are not getting paid to study X. think government grants, Universities, etc.

In the middle range are studies that are funded by an industry - there may be good data but conclusions are almost always skewed in benefit of the company.

At the complete other end of the spectrum is a company who sells the item or process for "X". their statements can form the basis of a test to verify if they are true, but should not be taken at face value. They may very well be credible. Often they are not. Cherry picking data and only showing the positives from a test that will help them sell their product, steal market share from a competitor, or disrupt a market is common for obvious reasons.

At the bottom of the list is bro-science (for me at least), especially when it is just a statement of fact on a website with nothing to back it up.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

I believe the corollary of that statement is true as well. It's difficult to be objective when dollars are tied to the result.

I'm sure this sounds like I am real fun at a party - I just take this a little more seriously than most I guess. But I can wear a mean lampshade :)

Nobody pays me anything for this, and everything I have I purchased full price with my own wallet. I also sell nothing. I post my mistakes, not just successes. I do this for the love of the puzzle and this plant. Hopefully someone else gets something useful out of this, but I'd do it even if it was just me.

Ultimately I want to be viewed by others as in the group of the highest credibility rating while doing so on the small scale and tiny budget - no university or government grants here unfortunately, and I depend on this group to be my peer review.

Indiva710

Indiva710

You hit it on the head with a hammer on that entire post I agree totally about all of it lol... And ya me too I'm just a personal home grower who does it for my health and for the love of the plant so ya Im down w testing wise I do not have any uv meters but we can also share data since we have the same setups well the uv and size tent as I run leds

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You hit it on the head with a hammer on that entire post I agree totally about all of it lol... And ya me too I'm just a personal home grower who does it for my health and for the love of the plant so ya Im down w testing wise I do not have any uv meters but we can also share data since we have the same setups well the uv and size tent as I run leds
We only have a couple weeks before we get some results. Let's see how this plays out.

If it turns out further study is indicated and I am working on something else, I'm happy to share my UV meters with others if it furthers the collective goal.

Indiva710

Indiva710

Sweet well I might have to do this run w the uv after all starting flowering in a few days so I'm down and p.m if u want to discuss details and what not too

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Day 2 Control

Day 2 UV

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Sweet well I might have to do this run w the uv after all starting flowering in a few days so I'm down and p.m if u want to discuss details and what not too
So for this test we are trying to hit just the last 2 weeks of flower. This is wisdom that has been repeated on the forums many times in many ways. There is, forum wisdom would say, a paper somewhere that asserts that adding UVB in the final 2 weeks of flower improves THC by up to 4%. Where this breaks down is that I cannot find a report that uses this technique. I also cannot find the amount of UV nor the photoperiods other than inside forum posts.

Subtest #1 - Does THC improve to the detriment of all other cannabinoids?
Subtest #2 - Does UV (I'm testing both A & B) increase the number of trichomes?
Subtest #3 - What is the proper amount of UV (A and B , measured as uW/cm^2) for the sweet spot?
Subtest #4 - What is the correct time period to run the lights?

Depending on the results of the tests, we may have lots yet to uncover, or it may be completely destructive and warrants no further testing as you have alluded to. I can't tell you what to look at yet.

Indiva710

Indiva710

K i have about 7 wks til I will need to know if u want me to test anything on this run I have the flowerpower and sg-1 bulbs 2 ea so last run I ran them 3ft from the plants about and I did every other day actually is ive heard doing it in a pulse like that VS doing it daily and pulse for 20min ea or something like that...
So ya only time will tell the scynceled paper on uv will be on their website here shortly for review as I sure would like to know if it's just a total waste of time and money or if it actually improves and helps...
Now I have seen a few results with the solacure bulbs and they actually put out less uvb than other companies although they claim diff well depending to migro as I saw a review he did on uv and the solacure puts out the least amount of uvb vs other uv bulbs but idk if that's actually a badthing as the uvb is what does most the damage you know so I think it could actually help us out in the long run with it... I seriously might have to do another run with uv before I throw in the towel with them quite yet would hate to have to send them back and then rebuy them all over again so... I think I'll wait and do some more testing I don't think Dennis would mind at all...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@Moe.Red here is a bulb meant for the last two weeks. They used to have single ended version. There were tests and reports showing the 4% average thc increase and claims of increased terpenes 5 or 7 years ago when I was researching this stuff.

Can not find them any more either. Or much spectrum info from university of Michigan from the hps vs mh days.

search engines may have the results many many pages back I guess.

it’s pretty old info now. The solacure guy seems to have the most info anymore.

sorry I was hoping to post something definitive for you. Everyone was proving this 5 years ago. With led having no uvb I guess the info had become buried.

Capitalism.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

@Moe.Red here is a bulb meant for the last two weeks. They used to have single ended version. There were tests and reports showing the 4% average thc increase and claims of increased terpenes 5 or 7 years ago when I was researching this stuff.

Can not find them any more either. Or much spectrum info from university of Michigan from the hps vs mh days.

search engines may have the results many many pages back I guess.

it’s pretty old info now. The solacure guy seems to have the most info anymore.

sorry I was hoping to post something definitive for you. Everyone was proving this 5 years ago. With led having no uvb I guess the info had become buried.

Capitalism.
Thanks.

I pretty much ended up down the same holes that lead back to forum posts, but nobody with hard data or even testing methods that approach what we home growers see.

But I love doing this stuff, and even if I had a study in front of me that told me exactly what to do with proven results, I'd still be trying this. Because, why not? You saw that tent. As a personal use only guy, WTF do I need that much weed for? If I burn up half this tent so be it.

For science

Latest posts

Top Bottom