Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LaVirtue

LaVirtue

I really think I am losing terps in this process. Plants are still sticky AF, but the overpowering smell is gone.

I really noticed this last night when I opened my oven after decarb. Normally I get a face full of terpenes as the heat leaves the oven and I'm bending over to open it. My head is in the right (wrong) spot to get a good smell of whatever was cooking. I even comment on it in the early videos how strong it was. It's like a blast to the olfactory that is unmistakable.

Last night, meh.

And the smell in the tent is mostly gone. I have to get my nose directly on a bud to smell it.

I know what you mean because whenever I decarb stuff in the oven I LOVE the terpene smell.

Clearly not enough info to claim cause and effect, but it is not a small change. If terpenes are your shizzle, UV may not be right for you.

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

Well, that's a blanket statement that may be partially valid, but needs more precision. For example, in the paper Milson posted most recently, you can see the cannabinoid production curves and they rise and fall at different times in flower.

It really depends on what you are going for.

I'll probably start harvesting some of the top buds next week and let the light get down to the lower stuff and outside plants, and leave the control and test buds alone along with a few partners for longer. Could be 2 weeks or even longer before we see a decline in THC. We'll let the plants decide.

I guess I am just taking a poll for bragging rights - at what day from today will THC spike?

This is such a great topic in itself - when to harvest ?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Here's a good read and at the bottom has all the references which will be great to check out too...

funny how the uvb fluorescent tube companies are sure uvb increases thc and the led companies who can’t offer uvb all post blogs about doubts it works.

I will wait for Bruce bugby to sort it out.

Indiva710

Indiva710

Bruce is part of that study if you read it you would of seen that and he is working on it as we speak

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Bruce is part of that study if you read it you would of seen that and he is working on it as we speak

I did read the blog. He is not part of their info they just refer to him.

Bruce’s latest video mentions all this. I am waiting for the university results. He will post them.

You missed my point. I am saying that the companies agenda determines their “science” about this. The uvb was proven years ago. Only the led companies are putting doubt on it because they can’t provide uvb diodes for reasonable cost.

Personally I don’t think adding uv is worth it. Every other parameter is more important. Add ons only give diminishing returns. Light spectrum is much less important than intensity. Also proven a long time ago.

Pondracer

Pondracer

Ok, I have to ask. Do you always decarb before measuring thc? Because I never did until today and the results were very much not what I expected. Prior testing was just dried and cured.

Pondracer

Pondracer

Did a PreCarb test on the Purple Urkle
THC: 14%
10.9% Moisture
Water Activity: .3

Decarbed
THC: 24%
<7% Moisture
Water Activity: .2

Had no idea that it would change like that post decarb.

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

Did a PreCarb test on the Purple Urkle
THC: 14%
10.9% Moisture
Water Activity: .3

Decarbed
THC: 24%
<7% Moisture
Water Activity: .2

Had no idea that it would change like that post decarb.

Do you use the same tlc method ?

DennisBrown

DennisBrown

funny how the uvb fluorescent tube companies are sure uvb increases thc and the led companies who can’t offer uvb all post blogs about doubts it works.

I will wait for Bruce bugby to sort it out.

According to Ed Rosenthal (who doesn't sell UVB as far as I know), UVB and cannabis has some science going back 100 years. I think there are some books on it that I know from the 1980s. Ed tested with some prototypes of ours years ago. We did about a decade of testing and prototyping before we incorporated as a stand alone entity, so we weren't making any money during that period, just researching. That's a lot of testing before I invested my hard earned money into developing a full product line. We were first to market, inventing the dedicated horticulture lamp. Since then, a few universities have used the same lamps to test the UVR8 protein response in other plants, most notably tomatoes and sorghum (Perdue and Texas A&M). TAMU studies are still ongoing after 4 years, with them switching from the Universal UV lamp to the Flower Power, which are very different lamps.

We have LED and fluorescent projects, UVA and UVB, although not UVB LEDs as they are not ready for primetime due to durability, price and spectrum. But by all means, I'm interested to see others testing. They are doing what we did 21 years ago, although in a more rigid environment. Back in 2000, I thought it was all BS, really didn't believe it, but willing to throw a little money at the question to see. We kept getting positive result after positive result but it took a couple of years to really convince me. Many thousands of growers later, I know it works, and I know why and what spectrum is doing the heavy lifting. And yes, I sell UVB bulbs and have for years, but I wouldn't have started the company if it didn't work.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

According to Ed Rosenthal (who doesn't sell UVB as far as I know), UVB and cannabis has some science going back 100 years. I think there are some books on it that I know from the 1980s. Ed tested with some prototypes of ours years ago. We did about a decade of testing and prototyping before we incorporated as a stand alone entity, so we weren't making any money during that period, just researching. That's a lot of testing before I invested my hard earned money into developing a full product line. We were first to market, inventing the dedicated horticulture lamp. Since then, a few universities have used the same lamps to test the UVR8 protein response in other plants, most notably tomatoes and sorghum (Perdue and Texas A&M). TAMU studies are still ongoing after 4 years, with them switching from the Universal UV lamp to the Flower Power, which are very different lamps.

We have LED and fluorescent projects, UVA and UVB, although not UVB LEDs as they are not ready for primetime due to durability, price and spectrum. But by all means, I'm interested to see others testing. They are doing what we did 21 years ago, although in a more rigid environment. Back in 2000, I thought it was all BS, really didn't believe it, but willing to throw a little money at the question to see. We kept getting positive result after positive result but it took a couple of years to really convince me. Many thousands of growers later, I know it works, and I know why and what spectrum is doing the heavy lifting. And yes, I sell UVB bulbs and have for years, but I wouldn't have started the company if it didn't work.

I asked you days ago for proof of your 8% thc increase claim. You have all this sales pitch running over and over but no answer and no proof shown.

I have read all kinds of studies. We all have. We are weed growers. But no conclusive proof and now new studies are showing non uv blue light may be more responsible. All of the companies seem to cling to one or two unrelated studies to weed. Just like your sorghum in the 80’s.

you say the proper uv is not in metal halide yet there is enough proof it increases resin production growers have been switching out bulbs for years. And Solis tech produced a 10k “finishing” bulb.

And I already showed a test result where cmh gave 4% more thc than hps or led.

I dont see any proof of needing what you say to produce top of the line smoke. And no one could tell when I dropped the cmh lamp. So even if I was getting the bump. No patient noticed. And except for profit in the industry for bigger numbers if the patients can’t tell it is a waste of time and money. Only real benefit is shorter plants. But any blue heavy lamp will do that.

additives including light spectrum give benefits in highly diminishing returns.

Money better saved than spent on uv IMO.

Prove otherwise please. I have only seen average of 4% thc only raising. That doesn’t help. Raising all cannabinoids together or leaving the “recipe” of the plant alone would be better for effects

DennisBrown

DennisBrown

I asked you days ago for proof of your 8% thc increase claim. You have all this sales pitch running over and over but no answer and no proof shown.

I have read all kinds of studies. We all have. We are weed growers. But no conclusive proof and now new studies are showing non uv blue light may be more responsible. All of the companies seem to cling to one or two unrelated studies to weed. Just like your sorghum in the 80’s.

you say the proper uv is not in metal halide yet there is enough proof it increases resin production growers have been switching out bulbs for years. And Solis tech produced a 10k “finishing” bulb.

And I already showed a test result where cmh gave 4% more thc than hps or led.

I dont see any proof of needing what you say to produce top of the line smoke. And no one could tell when I dropped the cmh lamp. So even if I was getting the bump. No patient noticed. And except for profit in the industry for bigger numbers if the patients can’t tell it is a waste of time and money. Only real benefit is shorter plants. But any blue heavy lamp will do that.

additives including light spectrum give benefits in highly diminishing returns.

Money better saved than spent on uv IMO.

Prove otherwise please. I have only seen average of 4% thc only raising. That doesn’t help. Raising all cannabinoids together or leaving the “recipe” of the plant alone would be better for effects

The sorghum tests aren't from the 80s, they are ongoing. But I'm not going to get into a pissing contest. You are free to believe as you choose.

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

I’m sorry for the poor camera angle here. You’d think I would be better at this by now.

This is the part where we test for cannabinoids in sample to compare THC

Is the volume off in the last 2 minutes of the video ? I wanted to hear the end results

Indiva710

Indiva710

I went ahead and did the 2 hours straight today by popular demand. Time to figure out tomorrow. With no other input I figure I’ll leave it a 2 but open to suggestions

Good news is I can change it at any time from my phone even when I’m not home so I can even decide tomorrow at work.
Do you have it on a smart plug then if so and you have a power outtage it will reset just a heads up

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

From what I understand, the decarb converts THCa to THC.
Yes correct.

I'm not sure if the Purpl is able to detect THC only or THC + THCa. If only THC, you are getting the boost from the acids becoming active.

Begs the question tho, how are you reading any THC if it's just cured and not decarbed.

Something does not add up, sorry I have no experience with that device.

Top Bottom