Silica, Who Uses It And How Much?

• Thread starter slimjimham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor
I wonder why know one just doesn't go out and purchases some silica sand for soil grows
or we can look into the synthetic versions that might work with some studying
why not go into a health store we all know aspirin know n then are good for plants???? why not sio2 supplement you know crush that pill up
or if your feeling Dr Jekyll n hide lol why not make some google what percentage is per sq acre then break it down to actual amount needed per watering if its that important to you

Silica sand is HIGHLY unavailable to plants. Needs to be broken down by microbes into silicic acid. You are thinking of salycilic acid (the aspirin comment). Totally different things. Salycilic acid isn't for silicon!

osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor
Im in the UK.....don't know where u are but I still think $60 postage is excessive for a sample. I don't mind paying the $10 it asked for at first tho.

You the one who emailed us? Again...the system we're using is sort of a hack while the beast is being built. Email your address and I'll see what ACTUAL postage should be to you!

osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor
for the cost i would try this seems simple enough and i a sure whats needed can be easily gotten
i think he made 21 grams of pure @ 1 percent feeding this so 210 milligram hell you could even lower it in half to .5 percent so how many gallons would that make ?? would that not be 210 gallons ??? or am i wrong @ .5 percent mixture 410 gallons holy crap or just 1 gram per gallon 21 gallons and call it a day

You can def make SiO2 on your own, or get the cheap powdered stuff. It will work, especially in long term soil applications with solid microbial activity. But it isn't fast acting. Commercial crops like strawberries apply SiO2 and don't really expect any results for the first 6 months. So not good for the indoor guys. Need silicic acid to be instantly available!

ken dog

ken dog

You can def make SiO2 on your own, or get the cheap powdered stuff. It will work, especially in long term soil applications with solid microbial activity. But it isn't fast acting. Commercial crops like strawberries apply SiO2 and don't really expect any results for the first 6 months. So not good for the indoor guys. Need silicic acid to be instantly available!

So advanced Nutrients Rhino Skin, which is 1.5% SiO2, is not readily available in a Current Culture RDWC?... Even with microbial and fungal supplements?
Is that what you're saying?... that silicic acid is necessary?

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

You the one who emailed us? Again...the system we're using is sort of a hack while the beast is being built. Email your address and I'll see what ACTUAL postage should

Thank you for responding. Where will I find your e mail address?

DrFever

DrFever

So advanced Nutrients Rhino Skin, which is 1.5% SiO2, is not readily available in a Current Culture RDWC?... Even with microbial and fungal supplements?
this is how i take it
In most hydroponics applications, silicon is added to the nutrient solution as potassium silicate. Potassium silicate is water soluble, but it reacts strongly with concentrated nutrient solutions, forming an insoluble, glue-like substance. So when using silicon additives, make sure that they are added in dilute form, not directly to the concentrated fertilizer! 50-100 ppm is a good target for most applications.

Potassium silicate is also very alkaline in nature, raising the pH of the nutrient solution. Raising the pH can be beneficial if the pH is below 5.5, but most water used for irrigation is already too high for optimum plant growth. So when using source water that is high in bicarbonates, adding additional silicon could worsen the pH problems, making it necessary to add too much pH lowering products such as phosphoric acid. In extreme cases, high levels of phosphoric acid could lead to phosphorus toxicity.

Silicon dioxide, derived from diatomite, is an acceptable alternate to potassium silicate. Although silicon dioxide (SiO2) is not very soluble, finely-powdered forms are ā€œflowableā€ and become readily available to the plant. The main benefit of silicon dioxide, besides being derived from a natural source, is that it does not have a negative effect on pH. It is relatively pH neutral in most hydroponic and soil applications.

ken dog

ken dog

Thanks DrFever.... So silicon dioxide is an ok alternative then... as long as it is prepared correctly in solution.

Thanks for the info on the clumping up of that stuff... I found out the hard way when I first started using advanced nutrients in my top off reservoir.!!!

I now add a diluted solution to my main reservoir while mixing constantly and adding slowly.
By the way, Bud Factor X behaves the same way... it probably has silicon in it.

Last edited:
osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor
Can't speak for use in a hydro system , I'm a soil grower , but I do use it. I use it every watering at 5ml per gallon throughout the plants life and I notice a Difference in stem strength and overall plant health. I also use it in a foliar spray in combination with fresh aloe weekly

I also heard there is some truth in it helping with PM but don't quote me. I know gardeners and Some smaller scale organic farmers use horsetail tea as a preventive to PM on squash and other veggies. Horsetail is loaded with Si so there may be a connection. I'm Just thinking the Si makes plants stronger and more resistant. If you decide to use it as part of your program look into Agsil16h and just make your own concentrate. I think I spent $13 on the powder silica and it makes a few gallons of concentrate, it's really cheap and your not paying for water

Potassium silicate works on PM topically by alkalizing the spores. But it won't penetrate the plant as an ion. Silicic acid is better for preventative by strengthening plant cells early on so the hyphae can't penetrate and infect.

osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor

Not likely...natural formation requires very specific microbial and chemical properties which straight water in a DWC doesn't provide. Needs the organic material structure and chemistry alkng with specific bacteria according to most research.

DrFever

DrFever

I think people are getting confused there osa28 being si02 and H4 Si04 Silicic acid they are 2 different things
Silicon is only found in crystallized forms and it is only reactive under high temperatures. When silicon is dissolved in aqueous solutions, the element does not ionize. Instead, the silicate salts that are present in the ocean actually acidify the silicon to create ortho ā€œsilicic acidā€ (H4SiO4). However, when thesilicic acids are heated, it forms an active form of silicon dioxide known as silica gel.
Which to my understanding silicon dioxide is the final phase of the reactions or change so my best guess is silicon dioxide is silicic acid
i could be wrong chemistry was my weak point in school although i likes blowin up things ;)

ken dog

ken dog

Not likely...natural formation requires very specific microbial and chemical properties which straight water in a DWC doesn't provide. Needs the organic material structure and chemistry alkng with specific bacteria according to most research.

Thanks... Not likely, but possible.

I have every possible form of beneficial bacteria and fungi in my RDWC system.

I should be okay.

osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor
Thanks... Not likely, but possible.

I have every possible form of beneficial bacteria and fungi in my RDWC system.

I should be okay.

Always comes down to results! Water only systems present challenges for sure. Microbes help...they do stuff that we can't. Waiting for someone to show a solid side by side with various silicon options in a DWC

ken dog

ken dog

Always comes down to results! Water only systems present challenges for sure. Microbes help...they do stuff that we can't. Waiting for someone to show a solid side by side with various silicon options in a DWC

Will your product do it in a "sterile" system?
Or should a side by side comparison be done with microbes and fungi as well?

osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor
Will your product do it in a "sterile" system?
Or should a side by side comparison be done with microbes and fungi as well?

Yep that's the beauty of silicic acid it doesn't need the microbes. Both would be cool!

DrFever

DrFever

wouldn't silicic acid be better as a foliage rather then root uptake ??? meaning all the plants transport food , made in the leafs to all parts of the plant including roots
As well as store food in the root system ??? wondering if everyone is doing it all wrong :)

osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor
wouldn't silicic acid be better as a foliage rather then root uptake ??? meaning all the plants transport food , made in the leafs to all parts of the plant including roots
As well as store food in the root system ??? wondering if everyone is doing it all wrong :)

It does work well as a foliar, especially for speed of deliver to the growing tips as you say. Root feeding has always performed better though. It's likely because xylem transport (roots up) is more efficient transporter of silicic acid. Combining the two methods has been good for some growers too. 1-2x per week roots and 1x per week foliar.

Top Bottom