Silica, Who Uses It And How Much?

• Thread starter slimjimham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
osa28

osa28

THCFarmer Sponsor
to get back to the op question,silica may help with your pm problem if used as a foliar but just adding it into your res after you see signs of pm will not help imo.and plants dont really use up SI like they will other nutes like NPK so just adding it in 1 x a week during veg and bloom is enugh to see the benefits. i use it about 1 x a week as my ph up because most silica products raise ph alot,more so when using r/o water.if your pm is just on a few spots,remove those leaves carefully.give your plants more space.crowded rooms are always at higher risk for pm.and try to keep your r/h levels from big swings.like if your growing in 60% r/h lights on try to keep it there during lights off.and keeping the temps closer helps also.run your room at 74-76f lights on and 72-74f lights off,it will help stop the spread of pm.sulfer burns will knock it right out ,if your not close to harvest that would be my first option.copper soap fungicide as a spray will kill the shit also.theres alot of threads here on it,people use milk and water to foliar with good results also.gl

Absolutely correct on the topical application of silicates. They work well against PM on the surface but don't get into the plant. Check out research on silicic acid as the form of silicon that is plant available and can get in via roots or leaf. Difference is that silicic acid doesn't have a topical PM effect. But it is well-established as a preventative tool when used from early growth stages.

MurderVille

MurderVille

Spending that much money on a nonessential element is a ridiculous idea.

Silica is not necessary for successful grows, particularly in UC. You are better off investing that kings ransom into your room and instead avoid all of the issues that silica is alledging to reduce....ijs

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Can't speak for use in a hydro system , I'm a soil grower , but I do use it. I use it every watering at 5ml per gallon throughout the plants life and I notice a Difference in stem strength and overall plant health. I also use it in a foliar spray in combination with fresh aloe weekly

I also heard there is some truth in it helping with PM but don't quote me. I know gardeners and Some smaller scale organic farmers use horsetail tea as a preventive to PM on squash and other veggies. Horsetail is loaded with Si so there may be a connection. I'm Just thinking the Si makes plants stronger and more resistant. If you decide to use it as part of your program look into Agsil16h and just make your own concentrate. I think I spent $13 on the powder silica and it makes a few gallons of concentrate, it's really cheap and your not paying for water
What's the aloe for?

Ryesty

Ryesty

I run silica cyco brand into the 1st week of flower. It seems to help strengthen the stalks and give me a little help. I like it, thick healthy structure can’t hurt. If your in the construction industry, especially the commercial side the new restrictions and requirements to cut and grind concrete are crazy that goes for any product with silica in it. Drilling cutting or grinding any product that contains it. In its powdered form When inhaled can be very harmful over time. The liquid is simple and inexpensive.

gwheels

gwheels

I started using silica this round for my outdoor plants. It might be the soil or the nutes or the silica but wow they are going bonkers and they are accepting my abuse way better than before. I am bending the main stalk around a tomato cage and even though i smashed the main stem and squished it a lot it rebounded in about 1 day. Now they are growing faster than before i abused it.

But it could be the abuse making it grow faster.

:D I will keep using the armorSI and let it rip.

S

sativablast

i bought some diatomaceous earth super fine grade, its silica powder. Put a dusting towards bottom and on surface of me coco pots to stop any bugs insects from attacking, i read it cuts em up like glass. i sprinkle the leaves also a little in veg. Cost me about $50 for 4 kilos so its pretty cheap and i mix alittle in me orange juice from time to time and drink it suppose to kill stomach parasites and what not.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Yo
i bought some diatomaceous earth super fine grade, its silica powder. Put a dusting towards bottom and on surface of me coco pots to stop any bugs insects from attacking, i read it cuts em up like glass. i sprinkle the leaves also a little in veg. Cost me about $50 for 4 kilos so its pretty cheap and i mix alittle in me orange juice from time to time and drink it suppose to kill stomach parasites and what not.
Ur right .Silicon dioxide mostly. I detest spiders. My wife is pregnant and avsolutely gags at the smell of neem oil, so this seems to help keep the lil F'ers away from my MEDICINE!!!
Here's to best buds,
-Ty

S

sativablast

yeah bro mites gnats spiders and flies are a c-nt
Says amorphous silica on the label. Good to run through carpets and later vacuum and sprinkle in the garden outside.

S

scottonfire

I've got silica blast from botanicare (KSi) and not sure what dosage to foliar feed at. 2.5ml/gal is what I was thinking, but then it seems that's to add to the epicenter. So in a 100 gal system 250ml, but again, I'm looking to foliar spray to reduce heat stress and not sure if I'm only adding 2.5 little itty bitty milliliters to a gallon, then spraying about 1/10th of that. So essentially I have a lifetime supply of this sh!t, but feels too low to be true.

Top Bottom