Skunk Qabbage-AKbeanbrains-Earth Boxes-Living organic soil

• Thread starter stp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KingKobi

KingKobi

What a fab grow. As a lifelong outdoor organic type guy, I love it.
As an indoor/time poor hydro newb, I kinda look on a bit wistfully.
Something to aim for down the line for me.
Great stuff.

stp

stp

What a fab grow. As a lifelong outdoor organic type guy, I love it.
As an indoor/time poor hydro newb, I kinda look on a bit wistfully.
Something to aim for down the line for me.
Great stuff.
So far this has been the simplest grow ever, the plants take a lot of water everyday so I keep the reservior topped off with about a gallon a day. Thank yo my for the reply!

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
yup, their definitely males in there.
Wow what a shame this plants look beautiful. I just ordered an earth box junior I can’t wait to try it out.

I always get feminized seeds but lately I’ve gotten some photos but I had them sex tested when they were seedlings so I wouldn’t continue to waste time of a plant that won’t produce buds. Delta leaf is who i used and they send an email with the results a day or two after receiving the sample. I’ll never grow regs out without using the sex testing. Check it out next run.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Started my grow with seeds ordered from AKbeanbrains, This round it’s Skunk Qabbage and my first time in Earth Boxes I bought from Buildasoil. Living organic soil re-used from two grows (Malibu Buildasoil), and one brand new 3.0 bag, mixed them together but it kinda looks like maybe one of these pots either has more of the new stuff or just better genetics so far. The fattest leaves I’ve ever seen so far. Had a funky twist of two leaves when they were babies and it’s hanging around. The youngest one got some burn on the leaves, not sure how. These have been in the box a week and they were small when they went in. These Earth boxes make plants grow fast!
I do see when this thread was started and I’m so happy to see all this reading to go through. I am going to be going into earth boxes after weeks of questioning and rethinking (learned about pot size with living soil too late). 4 of 5 ordered are here and tomorrow I’ll spend my day getting them prepared and transplant in a few days. Glad to find someone using them and having success. I’m new to everything so the learning curve has been up and down, but I’m getting closer. I’m actually almost more excited about the soil and boxes than the plants. Which is super weird. ✌️❤️🎼

I think I will skip trying two in one box based on what I’ve read so far. I do have seven ladies, but I will either run two in a bit of a larger pot, or a friend offered to hold them as mothers for me for now.

stp

stp

Wow what a shame this plants look beautiful. I just ordered an earth box junior I can’t wait to try it out.

I always get feminized seeds but lately I’ve gotten some photos but I had them sex tested when they were seedlings so I wouldn’t continue to waste time of a plant that won’t produce buds. Delta leaf is who i used and they send an email with the results a day or two after receiving the sample. I’ll never grow regs out without using the sex testing. Check it out next run.
How much does that cost?

stp

stp

I do see when this thread was started and I’m so happy to see all this reading to go through. I am going to be going into earth boxes after weeks of questioning and rethinking (learned about pot size with living soil too late). 4 of 5 ordered are here and tomorrow I’ll spend my day getting them prepared and transplant in a few days. Glad to find someone using them and having success. I’m new to everything so the learning curve has been up and down, but I’m getting closer. I’m actually almost more excited about the soil and boxes than the plants. Which is super weird. ✌️❤️🎼

I think I will skip trying two in one box based on what I’ve read so far. I do have seven ladies, but I will either run two in a bit of a larger pot, or a friend offered to hold them as mothers for me for now.
I would only do one plant per box, it’s what I wish I had done but I thought I was going to cull 50% when I planted (4) and unfortunately it was the two in the same box. Next time it’s one per box. I do wish these were bigger, I am finding out that i have to water everyday now, there’s so many roots they take up so much physical space that I can only put a gallon of water in before they spill over. You want to see someone on video doing this, go YouTube Buildasoil and Watch Jeremy’s videos. He just harvested a big tent full of different sized and types of containers, two were earth boxes. Sure, the best way to get better results with living organic soil (or any soil based grow) is by having more soil. Jeremy’s best performing plants were in 3’ x3’ fabric square pots, but that’s just a ridiculous amount of soil for a small indoor grow like mine. I like the wheels on the boxes. Initially I didn’t have them but bought them mid grow and I think I’m glad I did. That’s unless I’ve got to pick up those lost 3” because my plants are too tall!
make sure you have the soil loaded up with your nutrient inputs, you won’t burn them and it’s difficult to add later (at least with two in one box the mulch cover makes it a bitch to add top dressing. I felt like I still could have more food in my soil, so I’ve been adding stuff to my water and most of what I read said just plain water. But I felt like because i had two in one, they wanted more food. If you have been reading it all, you have seen I’ve been adding some really soluble nutrients to the water. Coconut powder, fermented peach extract, Organics Alive, & aloe powder alone with some cal mag which unfortunately is the only non-organic product I’m using. Bummer really, but the organic liquid stuff is not very soluble and settles when you are not watering it through soil only reservoir feeding. Initially when I started these boxes, I was straight RO water, nothing added. Completely against what I’ve always done with RO water, adding cal mag. I started seeing signs so I began supplementing via the water now. At least cal mag always. Then I just cocktail it up based on what she had last time, I don’t want to bore her with the same drink.

stp

stp

what app is that! thats awesome
For a $5 light meter? Photone app. Gotta fold piece of paper around the phone as a diffuser and the app works really well. Or maybe you mean my Niwa grow hub. My overpriced power strip with wifi, and the VPD/temp/RH meter?

3CAB94E7 467B 419B 9167 CE713472FDD6
SC69

SC69

Supporter
I would only do one plant per box, it’s what I wish I had done but I thought I was going to cull 50% when I planted (4) and unfortunately it was the two in the same box. Next time it’s one per box. I do wish these were bigger, I am finding out that i have to water everyday now, there’s so many roots they take up so much physical space that I can only put a gallon of water in before they spill over. You want to see someone on video doing this, go YouTube Buildasoil and Watch Jeremy’s videos. He just harvested a big tent full of different sized and types of containers, two were earth boxes. Sure, the best way to get better results with living organic soil (or any soil based grow) is by having more soil. Jeremy’s best performing plants were in 3’ x3’ fabric square pots, but that’s just a ridiculous amount of soil for a small indoor grow like mine. I like the wheels on the boxes. Initially I didn’t have them but bought them mid grow and I think I’m glad I did. That’s unless I’ve got to pick up those lost 3” because my plants are too tall!
make sure you have the soil loaded up with your nutrient inputs, you won’t burn them and it’s difficult to add later (at least with two in one box the mulch cover makes it a bitch to add top dressing. I felt like I still could have more food in my soil, so I’ve been adding stuff to my water and most of what I read said just plain water. But I felt like because i had two in one, they wanted more food. If you have been reading it all, you have seen I’ve been adding some really soluble nutrients to the water. Coconut powder, fermented peach extract, Organics Alive, & aloe powder alone with some cal mag which unfortunately is the only non-organic product I’m using. Bummer really, but the organic liquid stuff is not very soluble and settles when you are not watering it through soil only reservoir feeding. Initially when I started these boxes, I was straight RO water, nothing added. Completely against what I’ve always done with RO water, adding cal mag. I started seeing signs so I began supplementing via the water now. At least cal mag always. Then I just cocktail it up based on what she had last time, I don’t want to bore her with the same drink.
This is all great for me, thank you! I had myself going into 30gal pots for soil volume. Like you said, that’s ridiculous indoors for me, I just wasn’t piecing it all together at once and confusing people. How was I going to move one? Even on wheels? I’m settled on the boxes and these lessons you’ve learned and are in this thread are going to help me a ton. Thanks for the info on the watering too. I have a source problem I need to figure out. The only thing that could really hurt the soil or plant that I can’t get out without RO. I see you said you’re using it, but what I’ve read and seen says it’s not to. The minerals etc are good. Soil will take care of a lot, but not chlorine or chloramine, so always just carbon filter if there’s chloramine. You are obviously successfully doing it, so I’m not here to argue what you know yourself is fine. It actually may help solve my problem. The culprit in my water is the sodium level. It’s the only thing aside from chlorine that I don’t want. I can’t get it out. Haha. I was going to get through this run with a carbon filter and sisters house. The modern faucet is my enemy, the outside hose frozen. I can buy a treatment to help it. It’s just going to end up like .50-1.00 a gallon. I don’t want to do that. Really. It’s silly. It’s what I’m still doing though. Just spring water.
Thank you!! I’ll be reading and I bet you know I’ll have questions. ✌️

Reactions: stp
SC69

SC69

Supporter
For a $5 light meter? Photone app. Gotta fold piece of paper around the phone as a diffuser and the app works really well. Or maybe you mean my Niwa grow hub. My overpriced power strip with wifi, and the VPD/temp/RH meter?
lol. Being a noob and wanting things I didn’t need got me in trouble for sure, but by the time I was onto those power hubs I was broke and it was and is also holiday time with 15 family members. Haha. I did let them (ha), I asked and said, “this would work” buy me the PhotonTek light controller for Christmas. Although what I opened on Friday was an empty box for them to get the visual 🤣🤣. They’d all agreed and I ordered and started using it a month ago. Haha. I of course have one light in a very small home grow. I didn’t need it at all. I never will. I just wanted it. It’s cool looking up there. Ha. ✌️

I’m still trying to talk myself out of the pulse one, and that will just become the pro because I can’t get the medium if the large feels better. Hahaha. It’s an issue.

stp

stp

This is all great for me, thank you! I had myself going into 30gal pots for soil volume. Like you said, that’s ridiculous indoors for me, I just wasn’t piecing it all together at once and confusing people. How was I going to move one? Even on wheels? I’m settled on the boxes and these lessons you’ve learned and are in this thread are going to help me a ton. Thanks for the info on the watering too. I have a source problem I need to figure out. The only thing that could really hurt the soil or plant that I can’t get out without RO. I see you said you’re using it, but what I’ve read and seen says it’s not to. The minerals etc are good. Soil will take care of a lot, but not chlorine or chloramine, so always just carbon filter if there’s chloramine. You are obviously successfully doing it, so I’m not here to argue what you know yourself is fine. It actually may help solve my problem. The culprit in my water is the sodium level. It’s the only thing aside from chlorine that I don’t want. I can’t get it out. Haha. I was going to get through this run with a carbon filter and sisters house. The modern faucet is my enemy, the outside hose frozen. I can buy a treatment to help it. It’s just going to end up like .50-1.00 a gallon. I don’t want to do that. Really. It’s silly. It’s what I’m still doing though. Just spring water.
Thank you!! I’ll be reading and I bet you know I’ll have questions. ✌️
I buy .25-.35 cent per gallon RO water. I started with RO because I didn’t want to kill my benefíciala with chlorine. Our tap water is hard and sits at almost 500ppm, is high in calcium carbonate, and it just seems like using RO helps me reduce the chances of imbalances and issues, but it’s a pain in the butt going to the vending machine once a week.

stp

stp

lol. Being a noob and wanting things I didn’t need got me in trouble for sure, but by the time I was onto those power hubs I was broke and it was and is also holiday time with 15 family members. Haha. I did let them (ha), I asked and said, “this would work” buy me the PhotonTek light controller for Christmas. Although what I opened on Friday was an empty box for them to get the visual 🤣🤣. They’d all agreed and I ordered and started using it a month ago. Haha. I of course have one light in a very small home grow. I didn’t need it at all. I never will. I just wanted it. It’s cool looking up there. Ha. ✌️

I’m still trying to talk myself out of the pulse one, and that will just become the pro because I can’t get the medium if the large feels better. Hahaha. It’s an issue.
I almost went with the Pulse but wanted to control all my equipment so…

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I buy .25-.35 cent per gallon RO water. I started with RO because I didn’t want to kill my benefíciala with chlorine. Our tap water is hard and sits at almost 500ppm, is high in calcium carbonate, and it just seems like using RO helps me reduce the chances of imbalances and issues, but it’s a pain in the butt going to the vending machine once a week.
I’m with ya man. I just don’t know what to do. We don’t drink our tap water. Haha. We hate it. It’s not that hard but it’s in the 400’s and really, the issue here is the sodium. I wanted an RO originally of course before the decision to use the soil. We are still getting one because it will stop us buying plastic bottle and adding to that problem. It’s a nightmare for me really, but what can you do. I didn’t know of RO, etc really until I started this (it’s in my sisters old house so I did kind of). Not dumb, just not a focus. So, if you’re using it successfully, and I’m getting it anyway, that’s going to be the answer I desperately need. There are some RO’s that “claim” to add beneficial stuff back.

My brother in law is laughing at me (lovingly). I live on the river. Literally a dead end street to it 🤣🤣. I’m 20 miles from Saratoga Springs. I could have a rain bucket (not now, it’s winter). Solutions are there, but I don’t want to be a Hunter gatherer. I mean, I love to call myself an old hippie. I’m only 52 but was actually a 5 year old long haired hippie with Bohemian parents. I don’t need to go that far back to nature though. Water from a tap will work. 🤣🤣

If I can get the sodium out of it!! So, I think RO is the best way to go. Knowing it’s ok, is really kind of priceless at this point.

Last edited:
SC69

SC69

Supporter
I almost went with the Pulse but wanted to control all my equipment so…
I will want to as well. Since I still don’t really know what I’m doing, and still getting a hold of what the conditions are in the house and tent, I can hold out. I wouldn’t know what I’m controlling. Haha. I am getting it down though. It’s winter in NY and I’m not going to get ideal temps inside the tent as I may in another climate. The room it’s in only gets so warm. I’m not putting a heater in the tent, but do have a small one running in the room just to keep a moderate temp. I’m within 10° lights up and down, so I think I’m ok. If my thinking and knowledge so far is correct, I’ll just have a bit slower growth and longer veg. (I think) haha. Soon, I’ll know. ✌️

Latest posts

Top Bottom