Slow Seedling Growth Dwc

• Thread starter diogodasilva
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

diogodasilva

Hi guys,

Need some help.

Started 4 seeds on rapid rooter plugs , it took 4 days to break out , I then put on the grow site, rDWC bucket on hydroton, 6 days have passed but the growth has been really stunt. No idea what's going on. For a total of 10 days from seed it seems there could be some issue I am not targeting?

40gallon system
No nutes.
Hydroguard 2ml per gallon
Temp 27C
Water temp 21C
RH 60%

Forgot to specify, these are Auto strains under a Platinum LED P900, only VEG switch ON, 1 meter high above plants, 24/0 light cycle

Slow seedling growth dwc

D

diogodasilva

Whats your PH? and PPM?
Track your PH everyday.
Auto's are weird, like little pot bonsai plants.
Hi mik! Thanks for stepping by
PH 5.9
RO water 0ppm start with added 70ppm flora three part nutrients on day 7

D

diogodasilva

if anyone is interested
https://growdiaries.com/diaries/649-msb-tropa-de-elite
So they seem to have catch up growth after the modifications.

I filled up the buckets with hydroton and made a diy cover to prevent light leak inside the buckets. Also bumped the Hydroguard.

One of them is already growing roots in the water really fast. Impressive.
Be sure to check out the amazing timelapse videos i've been cooking.
https://vid.me/jP1b

Almost time for a Rez change and bump up the nutes?

D

diogodasilva

Food for thought, led is very intense for such young plants if possible I'd start your seeds out under smaller light then work yourself up to led. Led is very intense
It has crossed my mind, but I thought it through and if you think about it these plants grow in nature with 100.000lux sun shining above them and there is no one to dim the lights for them in the wild, and they thrive just fine.
I get it being needed for Clones, since they are fragile and cloning does not happen in nature. But seedlings? who is there to babysit them out in the woods?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
It has crossed my mind, but I thought it through and if you think about it these plants grow in nature with 100.000lux sun shining above them and there is no one to dim the lights for them in the wild, and they thrive just fine.
I get it being needed for Clones, since they are fragile and cloning does not happen in nature. But seedlings? who is there to babysit them out in the woods?
Those said seeds grow in the understory of the plants canopy shade it's not light they require it's a safe anchorage the seed is looking for before anything else I would set up some white shade cloth over them to reduce the amount of lumes . Just my 2 cents .

V

vek11

Led isn't sunlight you must realize that seasonally if plants grew in the wild small seedlings would fall subject to intense lighting if they germed in later in the season when the suns rays are much stronger than early on in the season. Outside environment is perfect as nature intended that's 1 big reason why plants do well outdoors, leds unless catered for young seedling or plants will just blast tons of spectrum!

V

vek11

Those said seeds grow in the understory of the plants canopy shade it's not light they require it's a safe anchorage the seed is looking for before anything else I would set up some white shade cloth over them to reduce the amount of lumes . Just my 2 cents .
Great! That will fix them little babies

J

Jogasam

I started my seedlings under my 900w LED light (about 4' above seedlings) and had no issues at all.

D

diogodasilva

I started my seedlings under my 900w LED light (about 4' above seedlings) and had no issues at all.
Good to know!
Were they regular photos or autos?
I'm wondering if maybe the 24/0 light regiment is too stressful

J

Jogasam

Good to know!
Were they regular photos or autos?
I'm wondering if maybe the 24/0 light regiment is too stressful
Regular, and they've been on 24/0 from the start and just switched to flowering today!! Big bushy beautiful plants!! I had 9 out of my 10 seeds sprout under the LED light too which is better than I've had with CFLs and HPS in the past

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I'm not using led lighting.

But my recent seedlings were sprouted under 8 bulbs of HO T5 in a 4 cu ft space= 3600 lumens per cu ft.

Once sprouted and above ground I turned all 12 bulbs on. Now they are in their second week (13th day) under 5400 lumens per cu ft.
20170105 060154

The extra light density is helping them develop well.

The t5 light is more diffused.
And most led lights are too focused.
If I was running led lighting I'd just raise the lights up as high as I could if I were starting seedlings under it.

J

Jogasam

I'm not using led lighting.

But my recent seedlings were sprouted under 8 bulbs of HO T5 in a 4 cu ft space= 3600 lumens per cu ft.

Once sprouted and above ground I turned all 12 bulbs on. Now they are in their second week (13th day) under 5400 lumens per cu ft.
View attachment 657568
The extra light density is helping them develop well.

The t5 light is more diffused.
And most led lights are too focused.
If I was running led lighting I'd just raise the lights up as high as I could if I were starting seedlings under it.
Very nice!! Beautiful color off the rip!

D

diogodasilva

So, did the first water change on day 15.
Lots of action underneath, roots growing, but not much vertical growth.
Increased the PPMs to 250 and added a little bit of CalMag.

I see a little tip burn on the leaves but from running such a low PPM ?
PH has been steady.

Not too sure, just letting it ride.

TimeLapse: https://vid.me/6SsH

IMG 7136
IMG 7139
IMG 7138
IMG 7137
D

diogodasilva

Guys, need some help.
Check out recent pics, this is day 19 . Some leafs are showing issues. Light stress or nute burn? I am running 250ppm with 5.8ph stable RO water. 1ml

IMG 7154
IMG 7162
IMG 7161
IMG 7160
IMG 7159
IMG 7158
IMG 7157
IMG 7156
IMG 7155
AnEn

AnEn

It is hard to tell for me since I am not used to see them under the led light, but you may have more then one issue.
First 5 pics look like a damage from some kind of pest combine with something else. Never had plants look like that, so I can't tell you what is it.
Pic #6,7, and 8 looks like white powdery mildew, or some kind of mold.
Check me for fungus gnats.
Again, I may be completely off, have a hard time seeing it under that light.
FYI, if your nutes level is set bellow the bottom of the net pot, crown feeding/watering will help seedlings to take off much faster. Usually I get roots in the water in first 5-7 days after the transplant. For me seedlings are always more aggressive then clones, and they develop at an extreme rate compared to clones.

Last edited:
m8ty

m8ty

The ppm seems low to me, do you notice the deficiency on the leaf's, is it normal to have a low ppm like that in this grow medium / setup?

AnEn

AnEn

Have a hard time believing there is any light tress, since I start seedlings under the 1000w MH. When they pop, fixture is at the highest level. I drop it down 6" every day or two until they stop stretching.
This way they don't go into" transplant shock" when I moved them to flowering room.
Amount of light they receive outdoors ( even in a shade) is much higher then what they get from 1000 W bulb that is several feet from them in the beginning. I don't believe that t5 or any othe low intensity light is needed, unless you are fighting heat, or saving energy. Even my clones are rooted under indirect light of 1000 W MH.

Top Bottom