Small Brown Spots Post Transplant

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

There is an inch to two inches of bio balls surrounding the rockwool cube. If everything is working correctly only small amounts should be splashing through.

I was going to remove the sprayers and just have the quarter inch line piss water into the buckets. That way only the water and bubbles from below will be contacting the roots and cup. Once I did that the water level got a couple inches higher in the plant buckets. I assume the return lines couldn't keep up with the flow but that surprises me a little.

Do you think it would have equalized if I let it go or not?
Good question,
BUT
I 100% AGREE that you should remove the sprayers and let it piss into the bucket.
Dont be scared of the hydroton.. I can help you clean and reuse.. Ive been reusing mine for 2 years!
As for the buckets filling up, we have 2 choices. We can increase the size of your return lines. They are 1/2" if im correct? 1" to 2" will allow it to flow. But you could put a cheap plastic shut off valve coming off the pump from the output, to close up some to slow the flow to match the return flow..... Second option is cheaper... just make sure to put the shut off valve on the output side. You dont want it on the input side as you will burn the pump up

chemistry

chemistry

Two things, if you don't have any roots, then don't feed 400PPM, looks like they are burning to me, and lower your water to 2 inches under your pots. And like EventHorizan says, two in pipes will move more water and oxygen round your system. The sprayers? I'd lose them too until your plants get sorted.

S

Shawnery

I'm not trying to argue with you chemistry I'm just stating something so I can be clear as to your direction.

I'm running the advanced nutrients at quarter strength with calimagic at quarter strength as well. Even though I'm only running quarter strength do you still think that that's too high?

I've lower the water already. As for the return lines I don't see away of changing that up at the moment but it's something I definitely will do either next grow or during my change out. Do you really think oxygenation will be an issue considering I'm almost running 2000 liters per minute with an AirStone in each bucket?

S

Shawnery

Is it possible that instead of my nutrient level being to high it's actually to low? I understand that 400ppm may be high for most nutes but these are different.

I pose the question because I have an OBVIOUS phosphorus deficiency or so it seems. Not only are my stems purple but no my bottom leaves are turning purple as well. The dark spots I have are also a sign of phosphorus deficiency.

I've read a number of reports that you are supposed to run these nutes exactly the way the say. It has something to do with the tech they use to control ph and nutrient uptake.

I'm not trying to argue just trying to fix this!

Can't really see the purple in the photos.

chemistry

chemistry

I'm not trying to argue with you chemistry I'm just stating something so I can be clear as to your direction.

I'm running the advanced nutrients at quarter strength with calimagic at quarter strength as well. Even though I'm only running quarter strength do you still think that that's too high?

I've lower the water already. As for the return lines I don't see away of changing that up at the moment but it's something I definitely will do either next grow or during my change out. Do you really think oxygenation will be an issue considering I'm almost running 2000 liters per minute with an AirStone in each bucket?

You said you have not roots coming out of your pots? So what are you feeding? I veg in a system not unlike yours, and 300ppm of Canna nuits on top of my 200 water, gives me blistering growth, not knocking you, but your plants are a little yellow, another reason your plants won't use 400ppm, most have said 300ppm as a guide line. The only thing you can do is slow down, making changes in systems like yours does not have an instant effect, most significant changes take a week to show up, under fed plants are just smaller growing, over fed plants burn. I can only tell you what I would do, from experience of another type of DWC growing.

S

Shawnery

There's no roots outside of the net pot yet but there are 2 inch roots outside of the rockwool cube that is surrounded by my medium.

Wouldn't my purple stems and leaves point to a phosphorus deficiency? If so wouldn't that point to my nutes being to low?

I get you're trying to help and I dig it. It's just hard as a newb to see something that screams deficiency and then hear my nutes are to high.

It also is difficult to understand how I'm over feeding if I'm running quarter strength? I'm supposed to run 4ml per liter with a 4 week old plant. I'm running 1ml per liter and this plant has to be close to 4 weeks?

I'm just worried that something specific about these nutes require high numbers because of the additives they run.

S

Shawnery

The bottle says this exactly.

4ml per liter for all stages of life.
2ml per liter for small plants 3 leaf sets or less
1ml per liter for seedlings or cuttings

It's chelated with "special" additives that don't allow the roots or plants to be burned by high numbers. This comes from the company not by this or that guy.

Not sure what to make of the above when everything you guys say goes agains this.

So confising!

chemistry

chemistry

The bottle says this exactly.

4ml per liter for all stages of life.
2ml per liter for small plants 3 leaf sets or less
1ml per liter for seedlings or cuttings

It's chelated with "special" additives that don't allow the roots or plants to be burned by high numbers. This comes from the company not by this or that guy.

Not sure what to make of the above when everything you guys say goes agains this.

So confising!

We are doing exactly what we are telling you to do, and we can back it up with our own beginning to end, and in glorious technicolour grow diaries here on Farmers now, aint your first grow a stress. lol

S

Shawnery

I hate coming on here being told what to do by people who not only have knowledge bit want to help and then I turn around and do what I want. I don't hate you guys but me for being caught in the middle of no experience but tons of self belief and people with tons of knowledge.

I honestly just want to figure this out the best way I can.

My understanding, please set me straight, is that we use low strength nutes because they are not cannabis specific? Advanced Nutrients is cannabis specific so should we not follow their recommendations?

If I was to guess without all the input from here I would say I'm running my nutes to low. The reason. Behind this is not the number because that says I'm to high. What points me to my nutes being low is plant symptoms. Dark brown spots, purple stems, purple leaves, twisting fingers of leaves. When I looked at phosphorus deficiency the pictures looked EXACTLY like my plant, exactly.

Everything in me says raise the EC but everything I've learned from here says it's already to high

The question then goes back to, is the only reason we run low nute numbers because the nutes are not meant for cannabis and if so does that then mean that Advanced Nutrients needs to be run at full stregth?

S

Shawnery

This is exactly what different leaves look like in different states of distress.this is a picture of the different stages of phosphorus deficiency.

Stages of phosphorus deficiency
chemistry

chemistry

Go for it, I'm not using your system or nuits, so maybe your right.

chemistry

chemistry

This is exactly what different leaves look like in different states of distress.this is a picture of the different stages of phosphorus deficiency.

Thing is, your plants don't have a choice when they suck up water, they suck up every thing, and if it's not to their liking they will struggle or die, I can show you pix of plant I burt to death when I started, same as yours. Go by the bottles instructions and see how you go, and if you fail, then try some of the ideas on this topic, good luck which ever way you go.

S

Shawnery

I'm going to be honest and I want everyone on here who helped, and that includes you eventhorizon, that I appreciate your help.

I went ahead and doubled my ppm and that is still half the strength of what is recommended by AN. The burnt tips were there when I got them so I think you have to sort of ignore that symptom? Without a doubt the damage on my plant matches the phosphorus deficiency pics at different levels on different parts of my girls.

If we assume, horrible word I know, that the girls had burnt tips when I got them them they were already overfeed. Something the cloner, guy who clones, said sticks out. He stated that Zkittlez strain needs high amounts of phosphorus compared to other strains. What if they were overfeed when I got them and then I used a 1/4 dose of the cannabis specific nutes. Could this Not be the perfect combination to cause a deficiency in my plants?

If my girls burn up and die then you guys are correct and with all your experience I would expect this to be the outcome. If the stems turn green as well as the leaves, do plants recover green after upping phosphorus?, then I had a deficiency.

I want you guys to know I'm not arguing with you out of disrespect. I'm having a conversation/debate about the theories and practices behind cannabis farming. I respect all of you for your help and experience but I would hate myself more if it went bad from not listening to myself and then I'd blame everyone who tried to help. Atleast this way the only person that there is to blame is myself.

If I'm right how long to see some sort of recovery? If I'm wrong I assume they're going down hill super fast.

Does a deficiency work it's way up from the bottom?

S

Shawnery

You want to hear crazy though. Quarter strength is 400ppm that means 1600 is what I should be using. DAMN that seems very high but then again perhaps it requires higher numbers to work right?

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Remember to utilize foliar feeding when you "think" you have a deficiency, again 9/10 is a simple PH adjustment corrects it. As I mentioned long ago in your post let them grow out a bit. I gave you great advice on your last grow if you don't remember.

Top Bottom