Smart Pots?

• Thread starter zooted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sunshinegrower

I started my first round with Smart Pots. I transplanted 28 ladies into 25 gallon Smart Pot, but didn't completely fill the pots. I wish I would of transplanted them sooner because they where in 4-5 gallon plastic pot for a while. I'm going to let them veg for a week. They have had a rough time lately because they had to move homes and then sit in a cold dark place for the night. I don't think they are happy with me right now, but they got a way better home now. One of my problems is going to be watering. I'm not sure because on my smaller pots I always felt my the weight if they needed watering. Now with these huge pots it's going to be harder to tell. Anyone have any pointers on watering these? They are in 25 gallon Smart Pots (filled to about 15gal) Sunshine #4 using Boniticare nutes

I

Islander

I have used 5 gallon smart pots for the first time and have no complaints regarding them at all. My question is, that they look perfectly fine to use again but I now I need to wash them, to disinfect them well before hand. Any suggestions for an easy super cleaner solution to use to wash a pile of smart pots with in a barrel of water? Had some mold in the last grow and do not want to carry it over to the next.

S

Sunshinegrower

Now I'm getting ready to flower 30 of them in 25 gallons pots, but only filling 75%. Have another 10 on stand by. The flip is tomorrow and they are huge.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
smart pots

I've heard that oxyclean is good for washing them, before next use. Sunshinegrower if I was you I would look into some drip systems, because those pots definitly need alot more water. Good Luck

mal

true grit

true grit

Yeah these are are looking real solid. Picked up the 7g pots, i will post back results...

C

CHILKaT

Soil grower here. I used to grow in smartpots, then switched to plastic. Going back to smartpots!! Too many problems with plastic that I never had before using smarties(especially gnats), and yield was half of what it was. I like that they drain well, dry out quickly, and promote good root growth. My smartpot plants grow typically twice the size of the ones planted in plastic.

I have a front loader washing machine and haven't had any problems throwing them in with a little vinegar and reusing them.

:animal0048:

S

Sunshinegrower

Soil grower here. I used to grow in smartpots, then switched to plastic. Going back to smartpots!! Too many problems with plastic that I never had before using smarties(especially gnats), and yield was half of what it was. I like that they drain well, dry out quickly, and promote good root growth. My smartpot plants grow typically twice the size of the ones planted in plastic.

I have a front loader washing machine and haven't had any problems throwing them in with a little vinegar and reusing them.

:animal0048:

What size of pot where you using and what was your yield using them and not using them?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I believe I'm going to add myself to the ranks of Smart Pot growers for this year's OD. I have a spot that could probably hold 2-3 very large (100-200gal perhaps?) pots. I just need someone to move all that dirt into 'em for me.

C

CHILKaT

What size of pot where you using and what was your yield using them and not using them?

7 Gallon Smartpot vs 15 Gallon plastic
3 plants each, same strain
Smartpots = 1lb
Plastic = 6oz

Go figure...??
Smartpot plants have much more lateral branching, so more bud. I am trying an LST in the 15g plastic now though so waiting to see how that goes, it just went into my bloom room 2 weeks ago.

The 7g smartpots fit perfectly into my square milk crates, they are stacked on top of empty crates to keep airflow underneath. This makes them very easy to move, stack, adjust heights, etc. Honestly, for me, my situation and environment, the roots and plants are much healthier, grow faster and produce better quantity and quality in smartpots. As soon as my LST is finished flowering, there wont be another plastic pot, ever. Your mileage may vary.

H

HerbFarmer25

I like the plastic root maker pots or homemade poly pots. I wasnt too amped on the fabric ones. I always thought that the fabric would hold salts, not that ive ever tested that and im sure proper flushing would take care of that. My gf sewed a bunch of pots for me using that poly weedblocker, its only like 23 $ and it made so many pots. Seriously helps the root zone.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I have used 5 gallon smart pots for the first time and have no complaints regarding them at all. My question is, that they look perfectly fine to use again but I now I need to wash them, to disinfect them well before hand. Any suggestions for an easy super cleaner solution to use to wash a pile of smart pots with in a barrel of water? Had some mold in the last grow and do not want to carry it over to the next.

This is from the Smart Pot website FAQ

"After use dump out the soil and let the bag dry. After a few days of being dry, the dust and small roots will easily brush off. For most people, this is good enough. At this point the Smart Pot folds easily for storage. However, a lot of our customerswill wash the bags in a bleach to sterilize (I have heard lately that many people prefer OxyClean). They use a washing machine or dip the bag in a tub. Do not put the Bags in a dryer. "

S

Sunshinegrower

There's now an off brand of smart pots that are half the price!

Root Pots

All I saw at this site was the MRSP pricing which is the same price that the Smarts go for. I bought a bunch of the 25 gallon ones for $10.50 each at my local shop. They give me between 10%-20% depending on the amount I spend and there margin on products. Anyways I love these Smart Pots.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Just picked up my first pair of 100gal pots. Now? Gotta get another load of soil delivered so I can fill 'em.

T

TwoCreeks

I'm in my first run with 5 gallon Smart Pots and soil and I am really loving them, because the plants really seem to be loving them. Great aeration leads to fast growth, great branching, and thriving plants.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Smartpots are the best thing I've seen in a long time. These were such a great idea. I'll be getting more soon. Even getting some small ones too. 1gal to 7 gal for my little indoor. Love these outside too. Have bell peppers in one and it's better then the ones in plastic.

fred

A

antimatter

So far ive spent a few hundred dollars on these things.. couple things that are bothering the hell out of me

1. Winter Time + Cool Air below the knees, Smartpots are meant to be in hot air and to keep cool not the other way around.

2. They dry out really fast, and even faster when its not winter, so fast that salt build up can happen even feeding very lightly.

Its looking like im going back to hard plastic after I dirty up the rest of these things, but if I were to have some plants outdoors not in the ground then I would definitely use smart pots for there ability to keep the rootzone cool during the hot summer days that would normally cook a hard plastic pot.

They do give you a perfect rootball like a thick mat its pretty amazing but still I have no idea how that increases yield, I never broke anyones hard plastic records.

waayne

waayne

antimatter you bring up some really good points,I have had the same results.I really don't like the way they dry out.Ran 2 different groups of Chocolope and Super Lemon Haze clones side by side in 20 gallon Smart pots and hard plastic, ended in a tie,back to hard plastic for me.

A

antimatter

antimatter you bring up some really good points,I have had the same results.I really don't like the way they dry out.Ran 2 different groups of Chocolope and Super Lemon Haze clones side by side in 20 gallon Smart pots and hard plastic, ended in a tie,back to hard plastic for me.

Im glad I tried them though now I don't have to wonder about them or any of the other aeration containers. :icon_cookie:

C

carper

56litre tubs is the way to go
dont believe the hype more space more roots
in organic of coarse

Top Bottom