Something is missing, I think, and idk what?

• Thread starter Weeblek
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

This one is way nicer and is way different as well. I actually am looking forward to using it, so don't dampen my joy. Lol!
It looks like a good one. I've never used a meter. I use a colorimetric type that uses a reagent.

I guess I just figure that I bought all this crap and by golly ima use every bit of it.
I understand. There are plenty of useful gadgets and devices available for growing great weed. We're really enjoying our last crop of Acapulco Gold.

Weeblek

Weeblek

Heck yeah.
Dangit , I had one more query and cannot recall what it was. - WeebleK

Weeblek

Weeblek

Whoop! I remember now. Should I cut those bad leaves off the bottoms so they don't take away from the good ones?

Weeblek

Weeblek

Well, they aren't really tall enough to be too close or too far in relation to the rest of the plant. Just kinda bunched together. Not many leaves yet at all. I shared recent photos yesterday that you'll see how small they are. I just read somewhere that if there are deadened leaves they should be removed so the good stuf in the soil will all go to the better parts of the plant, but I didn't know if they are too small to pull any off. - Karen

Weeblek

Weeblek

Hello Expert Groupies! I am back for further instruction. Also want everyone to know that once we've recovered from their illness I will be a lot less of a pest.

At this point, if you'll recall, the Girls went into Soil on 4/7. That was a whole 36 days ago and they still are very short. Is this a nirmal height? When will they take off? I've attached side photos that will show you.

I wonder if this is because they are/were sick?

Or is it because I clipped those those dying lower leaves off and made the others lonely? I still think that was the right thing to do because dude⬆️ said so and because I read that the vitamins and such need to go to the healthy parts and not the sick parts.

Is it because I tend to stir their top soil, about an inch down, when I rotate them so they all get equal lighting? Idky I do that, I just do.

I am still at 25% FS LED, at an arms length above them, for 16hrs a day. Is that where I should remain? When will I raise the intensity again?

Some days the temp and humidity are good. Some days I have to use the heater. Most days I use the fans, tilted down toward the floor. Sometimes when it's hot outside I have the flaps open to offer them great air flow for a while that doesn't jack up the power bill.

These are the kinds of things I been doing. Are some of them no good. Should I be doing something else?
I just gotta do this right but I feel like they should be doing much better and be much bigger.

Thanks- WeebleK

20230512 155809 COLLAGE
20230512 155833 COLLAGE
20230512 155939 COLLAGE
20230512 160001 COLLAGE
20230512 160020 COLLAGE
20230512 160048 COLLAGE
20230512 160256 COLLAGE
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Hello Expert Groupies! I am back for further instruction. Also want everyone to know that once we've recovered from their illness I will be a lot less of a pest.

At this point, if you'll recall, the Girls went into Soil on 4/7. That was a whole 36 days ago and they still are very short. Is this a nirmal height? When will they take off? I've attached side photos that will show you.

I wonder if this is because they are/were sick?

Or is it because I clipped those those dying lower leaves off and made the others lonely? I still think that was the right thing to do because dude⬆️ said so and because I read that the vitamins and such need to go to the healthy parts and not the sick parts.

Is it because I tend to stir their top soil, about an inch down, when I rotate them so they all get equal lighting? Idky I do that, I just do.

I am still at 25% FS LED, at an arms length above them, for 16hrs a day. Is that where I should remain? When will I raise the intensity again?

Some days the temp and humidity are good. Some days I have to use the heater. Most days I use the fans, tilted down toward the floor. Sometimes when it's hot outside I have the flaps open to offer them great air flow for a while that doesn't jack up the power bill.

These are the kinds of things I been doing. Are some of them no good. Should I be doing something else?
I just gotta do this right but I feel like they should be doing much better and be much bigger.

Thanks- WeebleK
Ok so light you’re at say 20” roughly an arm length (I’m assuming elbow to fingertips) what is the full wattage of the light and I saw you have it at 25%

Edit went back and looked VS 4000 @25% so around 100w at 24”, I would raise the light to about 30”

Can’t tell if the lime green color is from the light direction or not, can you take a pic of one not under the grow light, just under a regular incandescent bulb? It’ll help us see true color better. Don’t wanna say nitrogen def etc when it’s just the light angle 🙃

My runtz auto for example in my 4x8 is about 6” tall atm, my light is mounted directly to the ceiling (FC-E8000) and running at approx 30% distance to the top of that auto is about 40” atm

You can see the runtz auto bottom center (the little one) on the right is 2 cement shoes on a shelf, the tops on those are about 18” from the light and they are about 28” tall plants. I start at minimum power then slowly increase minimum amounts (I can go 5% at a time) so I leave the light high, and each day I turn up the power 5% until my leaves lay like this then I won’t turn them back up until I see the leaves either droop or pray

I like them completely flat and facing at a 90 deg angle to the light if I can by manage it

6C4EBC1C 3662 4EE8 995A D38143A4E963
CF995156 FBC2 41BF 9181 86C38759A7F2
AED591D4 282C 4DBB BDF1 05904B10AE19
D8142FDB AD93 4D20 BCAB 32E39B8B3226
Weeblek

Weeblek

Thanks for responding. Armpit to wrist. 25% of the VS4000 which I believe is 400 watt full spectrum LED, because there wasn't a 300 available to buy. I did want a 300 though. Smh. Also, the lights just went off at 430. Is it ok for me to pull them out 1 at a time to photograph? Or should I wait til they come back on at 1230? - WeebleK

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Thanks for responding. Armpit to wrist. 25% of the VS4000 which I believe is 400 watt full spectrum LED, because there wasn't a 300 available to buy. I did want a 300 though. Smh. Also, the lights just went off at 430. Is it ok for me to pull them out 1 at a time to photograph? Or should I wait til they come back on at 1230? - WeebleK
Ok so you’re around 35” to the light at 100w

I’d wait till lights on, I don’t like messing with the girls when they sleep 😉

Lemme see if I can get a shot of the 4x4 light height

Old pic but I haven’t moved it since then, that’s a Phlizon FD 6500 so about 640w at 35% at 30” (remember this is a big plant, almost a week out from flip to flower and still only utilizing 35-40% power) , any more than that it’s too much for them don’t worry about getting too much light to them too early, it’ll only hurt them if they can’t utilize it, they need to be healthy before they can take off. Watch your leaves, they’ll give you the first indication something is needed your RH and temps look right on for that growth stage, now we figure out what’s missing

Be happy you went oversized with the light, when you need it, it’s there just need to learn to control it when you don’t need that extra intensity I always overpower by about 25% if I can lol

D816DE08 34D0 4A18 A525 58C6FA907950
Weeblek

Weeblek

Yeah. That sounds right. Lol!

Me neither. Have never have left it opened except for the bottom of the flaps for airflow. My room is very dark all times of the day.

Well, that was the general concensus of what was wrong with them when I came to you guys. The first photos in the thread will show you. Maybe see if you agree. Pulling the lights up some and turning them down did help though. They were way bad off. I had no idea how to use the lights. I am happy to know now that I will likely never need them at 100%. But I do worry about knowing when to turn them up some. I suppose they may start reaching? But I kinda feel like the 1 Lemon Haze #1 is reaching a bit. That's why I try to rotate them around.

That's quite a room you have! Lol!

Also, I guess I totally missed one response. I shall go have a look-see now.
-WeebleK

Weeblek

Weeblek

Very nice. How come you have house plants in there? Isn't out in the house where they'd be enjoyed better???

Cement Shoes is a great name. Hehe!

I measured my arm and they are about 21" above the plants. So definitely bring them up to an arm and a hand. Pretty sure this is how they measure horses..

Maybe that's what my Orange Bud is doing? And a couple others as well. They are just straight out on their tops, I think like you were discussing. Completely flat and at 99°. -WeebleK

Weeblek

Weeblek

Ok. I took them out if the tent and photographed them on my bed right underneath the overhead light. However, I think it is my crap phone is the problem. Nothing I can do about that though.

These 1st 6 shots are each plant individually. The 7th is one I took inside the tent with the big light off and a bedside lamp on and it shows the color closest to how I actually see them. I hope it helps.

Thank you so much for your input. -
WeebleK

I should maybe mention that all mine are photos and not Autos. You probably know that already but just in case. -W

IMG 20230513 004303707
IMG 20230513 004529774
IMG 20230513 004757274
IMG 20230513 004958859
IMG 20230513 005305596
IMG 20230513 005444957
Weeblek

Weeblek

Hey, so I took them out to the front door this morning and took new photos, trying to get that natural light. It was way overcast but I doubt that made a difference. My phone just sucks. I tried everything to get their color for real the same as their color in a photo, but had no luck. They are much darker than in the photos. Anyway, I didn't want to upload 18 photos- 3 of each, above, their hurt areas, and from the side- unless you thought it would help. I don't wanna seem like I'm begging or something. Thanks so Much- WeebleK

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Tldr
Did you got a good soil at the end ? cause doesn't matter where you put your lights if the soil is shit to begin with and your plants can't thrive in it. Bad soil = nightmare for grow. Maybe the PH of it is very acid ou very alcalyne, maybe it is very unbalanced who knows. Adding perlite to a bad soil also will only make it drain better but will not fix anything else.
Other than the lights issues people said I really think your real problem is the soil.

Don't over think it, just get good genetics good soil and ferris, depending on what style you will be growing ( go formthe tried and approved many brands to chose from) and a good environment.

Number 1 genetics
Number 2 environment
number 3 soil (If doing living soil even number 2)
Number 4 skills

Weeblek

Weeblek

Thanks Guy. I got decent Soil when I repotted and also the Perlite. I have done 2 Slurry Tests and both were good. I don't know what I can do about the Soil at this point. I don't know if it's a good idea to keep changing it. Maybe if I mixed some in and then some more? Idk? All I do know at this point is that the leaves do look better and I think we've gotten past the heat stroke they were in, I guess, because once I pulled those lower sick leaves the new leaves look ok. Don't you think? It's just that they don't seem to be growing and I feel like the experts are sick of me already, but I still need advice and input. You know? I've done everything I been told to do so far and so think I've been respectful of everybody's input, and I know you guys are busy as hell. Probably just my paranoia. Anyway, next time I plan to do really great dirt. So I guess as far as this grow goes it will be crap unless I figure the rest out on my own. The poor girls. Lol! Thanks again- WeebleK.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I don't know what I can do about the Soil at this point.
There are things that can be done. Slow growth doesn't mean you won't get a good crop. It's just frustrating. My plants grow slowly, too. It might be due to the soil. Your plants look healthy, though. They may just need time to adapt to their environment.

There are things that can be done about soil. New soil can be added up to the bottom of the cotyledons and the stem will create new roots. That soil can have nutrients in it to correct problems. It's called "top dressing" the soil. I don't advise doing that yet. Wait till they're taller. The new growth looks good, though, so maybe the plants just need some time to spread their roots.

Young plants put a lot of their energy into growing roots. When young plants are in a big pot, they seem to grow slowly at first because they have plenty of room to grow their roots. Many folks recommend transplanting twice, from the small pots to a mid-sized pot (I use one-gallon pots) to the final large pot. That works better than going directly to the final, large pot. (That's not true for autos, though.)

It's just that they don't seem to be growing and I feel like the experts are sick of me already, but I still need advice and input. You know?
No worries. Your plants are growing. The experts aren't sick of you. I'm not sick of you. TBH, there aren't many women here, so being one of the few myself, I'm happy you're here. I joined last July and have only harvested one crop—so far. I have two crops growing now. One is about to flower and the other is still in intermediate, one-gallon pots. So, relax and enjoy watching them grow.

I'm hardly an expert like @GNick55 and @Mikedin who have been growing for many years. They both grow in soil and can offer better advice than I can. You're doing well for a first-time grower, though.

Anyway, next time I plan to do really great dirt. So I guess as far as this grow goes it will be crap unless I figure the rest out on my own. The poor girls.
I doubt this grow will be crap. Folks here will help, but not everyone grows in soil. (Let's call it soil, please.) There are different growing methods for different growing media. At some point, you'll need to decide which growing method works best for you. As for me, I prefer an organic method, but I didn't begin with it.

So, hang in there. We won't let you down. More importantly, your plants won't let you down.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Here's an image of my Amnesia Haze on their 43rd day. They're in one-gallon plastic pots. I put them on a tray and put water in the tray to raise the humidity. They're in a 28x28 tent. I plan to transplant them to 5-gallon fabric pots this week. I'm waiting for a delivery of mycorrhizal (for root development), risers and saucers from Amazon. I top dressed the smaller plant a few days ago with soil and nutrients. I topped the larger plant yesterday.

These poor plants had a horrible beginning. I bought starter soil at Lowe's, and it was awful. The plants were so tiny! After a few weeks, their leaves barely spanned the size of a quarter. So, I pulled them out of their pots and found that the soil wasn't absorbing water. There were large dry areas that the roots couldn't penetrate. I removed most of the soil and put the plants in a soil mix of two Fox Farm soils (a 1:1 ratio of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest), with added perlite, rice hulls and Gaia Green All Purpose. The roots quickly found the new soil and the plants started growing normally.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Thanks Guy. I got decent Soil when I repotted and also the Perlite. I have done 2 Slurry Tests and both were good. I don't know what I can do about the Soil at this point. I don't know if it's a good idea to keep changing it. Maybe if I mixed some in and then some more? Idk? All I do know at this point is that the leaves do look better and I think we've gotten past the heat stroke they were in, I guess, because once I pulled those lower sick leaves the new leaves look ok. Don't you think? It's just that they don't seem to be growing and I feel like the experts are sick of me already, but I still need advice and input. You know? I've done everything I been told to do so far and so think I've been respectful of everybody's input, and I know you guys are busy as hell. Probably just my paranoia. Anyway, next time I plan to do really great dirt. So I guess as far as this grow goes it will be crap unless I figure the rest out on my own. The poor girls. Lol! Thanks again- WeebleK.
Yep I see things improved on last photos, with patience they will recover. But this is how we all learned, by making mistakes, it can be frustrating for sure but it's not the end of the world. Cannabis most of the time (genetics dependant) will be really resilient ;-)

Don't overthink too much, go with the best genetics you can, the best environment you can give the babies, don't cheap out on good soil,
And the plants will reward you with great flowers ;-)

Just be patient and they will thrive.

Edit: keep posting the progress people will help you along.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom