Spider Farmer 600W LED or Mars Hydro TS 600W Full Spectrum LED?

• Thread starter UrbanGardener
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

I just ran over the numbers a few posts back. 35w sq ft for LED 55w sq ft for HID. No led is not more than 200% more efficient than a HPS.

Sorry I was a bit short on that answer. I'm at work driving (on a break now).
Led seems to be around 140% that of HID. Roughly. Obviously there is some variation due to led manufacturers and efficiency ratings.

Best case is 50% more. So a 240w led is more equal to a 400w hps. 2x240w would be equal to like 800w etc.. rough numbers of course.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Sorry I was a bit short on that answer. I'm at work driving (on a break now).
Led seems to be around 140% that of HID. Roughly. Obviously there is some variation due to led manufacturers and efficiency ratings.

Best case is 50% more. So a 240w led is more equal to a 400w hps. 2x240w would be equal to like 800w etc.. rough numbers of course.
Cheers for that

BigCube

BigCube

What light of yours would replace a 600w hps just doesnt seem worth me switching to led, yet

The worth isnt only the power savings. Saving 40% on your powerbill isnt always that great. But you save on heat, led produces less than half the heat. You save in bulb changes. Your hid should be swapped out twice a year ish. Costing you hundreds of dollars. HID light distribution is horrible. Giving you one solid massive hotspot and light source that's about 2 or 3 inches. The led gives you full, even light across your canopy. Also you can get your LEDs twice as close as you could get an HID.

Like I said before, most if the benefits of LED are in the other aspects. For me it's a no brainer. A good 600w ballast, bulb and reflector will cost you at least $200.
Then you will have to buy 80 to 100$ bulbs every 6 to 8 month. Your HID will produce more than twice the heat you will have to deal with, you'll have to keep your light twice as far away from your plants. Your light distribution will be horrible, with the majority of your growth right in the center under your bulb, whether is the 40% more electricity cost.

For the same price as your initial $200, you could get 2x240w kingbrites that would out perform the 600w HID in every way. You pay less for power, you get more light, better distribution of that light, the ability to get the light twice as close to your plants. Half (or less) the heat, no expensive bulb changes every 6 months....

Not sure how anyone could consider that not worth it... Better in every single way.

Just not mars lights 🤣 strictly cause of their price. I'm sure their newer products are fine. Just overpriced.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Thanks for that. My mate supposedly had a high end led with the lm301 diodes or whatever, had good results as far as yield and quality but just seemed like they didnt perform as far as growth rates compared to the hps, also heat is generally helpful especially as I run my flower cycle at night I dont have to add additional heating

BigCube

BigCube

Thanks for that. My mate supposedly had a high end led with the lm301 diodes or whatever, had good results as far as yield and quality but just seemed like they didnt perform as far as growth rates compared to the hps, also heat is generally helpful especially as I run my flower cycle at night I dont have to add additional heating

I'm willing to bet the led he has is nowhere near enough wattage to be the equivalent of whatever he replaced. I have the opposite experience. HID doesnt hold a candle to the LEDs I run.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

I'm willing to bet the led he has is nowhere near enough wattage to be the equivalent of whatever he replaced. I have the opposite experience. HID doesnt hold a candle to the LEDs I run.
Yeah most likely, so what can you expect average gram per watt for led or what do you get? As they say with hps gram per watt is decent can be more or less

BigCube

BigCube

I've never had less than 1.5g per watt.
Some have approached 2. Without co2 or anything special.

I got 1.5g per watt from screw in led bulbs 🤣

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
What light of yours would replace a 600w hps just doesnt seem worth me switching to led, yet
At least a 450w LED grow light. Usually for LED, 30-50w per square foot will help you get decent results, and more watt, more results under the same condition

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Our TS average yield is 1.5g/w, and the SP series average yields is 1.8g/w.

@koba , I want to share your comments about Mars Hydro light to other farmers☺
Now to the Lights.. they work perfect, I will know the result in a month's time. But from what I see these was money well spent.
TS 3000
- brightness is truly tremendous.
-they doesn't produce to much heat
-they are still in 450 watts and we have then abut 1m from flowers and it seems to be enough.

ProCreeII 256
-is from my prospective excellent light from seeding, clone...
- spectrum for veg. is perfect.
- result for flowering I will also have in a month.
- from ehat I see is 1m above enaf easy for flowering

I can not compare mars led whit any hps form. I think when I manage to do all stuff not perfect but good (humidity control, co2,) there will be great result. I think easy 2g/w. But from what I see now it is really great light.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I'm picking up a SF 2000 this fall. My friend swears by them. I've seen his ladies and they look very happy.
I haven't used for weed yet but I've been crazy happy with my tomato & pepper starts, nice short stout non leggy growth almost pencil thick stems, so far so good for 200w, nice small footprint.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Kingbrite 240w quantum boards are pretty much the exact same light.
240w mean well drivers and lm301 chips. Kingbrite's heat sink is much nicer, and it is dimmable. All for only $105.

There are many of us running kingbrites now, not a single complaint.
Hope this helps man! 👍
Out of curiosity does that pull 240w in real time?

Glassdub

Glassdub

I envy those of you that can dedicate entire rooms to it, I've never grown in anything bigger than a walk in closet 🤣
I have a spare bedroom with a 48"x36"x72" tent, I've been humidifying the hell out the tent for tomato starts and its wreaking havoc on wood in the room, started running fans outside the tent to dry it out, I have a door closet that I hadn't looked at until a few days ago, a couple huge pillows were actually wet & molding off the wall, I may have to get a dehumidifier for the room to prevent further damage but the humidity levels will go down when the the starts are out & the meds begin.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The level of spam/hype with them is irksome IMO.

the truth is out there, unless Mars managed to get YT to scrub it. Also IC and RIU should still have the discussions, but since Mars became a sponsor, they could have been scrubbed

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
fuck i thought this thread was dead... but fuck i'll play along the answer is @MarsHydroLED and the reason is simple as well, spider famer lights are nothing more than parts assembled from bids and stamped 'spider farmer'. if you contact the correct ppl you too can have your own brand of lights to pimp on ebay or amazon. i owe several spider famer lights and they perform well enough for what i invested in them, however i would not repeat the purchase either. so at least @MarsHydroLED is real company with real people like us cutting out a place in the world, and they girls are HOT!!

Top Bottom