Spider Farmer LED Grow

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Americans lecturing about dishonesty, LOL, what a hoot.

Personally, I have no issue with SF being a "meihzi" company. Lot's of different ways to do builds, depending on the configurations, and that's what I think I see here.

As for mars hydro, they have some pretty decent lights for the price, and they've been in the game for awhile now. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. All these "so called" American light companies source their parts from where exactly? Asia, and diodes made in South Korea are likely far cheaper to be configured if they make a pit stop in China, before being shipped here to the US.

Keep it up SF, I might not have a set of your lights, but you look like your doing a fine job to me. I would consider doing the "commercial" series that I had discussed with you last week, I think it would go a long way in mitigating much of this controversy.

You get what you pay for, especially in lights like these, diode counts are everything, more = better, and that comes at a price.

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

Personally, I have no issue with SF being a "meihzi" company. Lot's of different ways to do builds, depending on the configurations, and that's what I think I see here.

As for mars hydro, they have some pretty decent lights for the price, and they've been in the game for awhile now. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. All these "so called" American light companies source their parts from where exactly? Asia, and diodes made in South Korea are likely far cheaper to be configured if they make a pit stop in China, before being shipped here to the US.

Keep it up SF, I might not have a set of your lights, but you look like your doing a fine job to me. I would consider doing the "commercial" series that I had discussed with you last week, I think it would go a long way in muting much of this controversy.

You get what you pay for, especially in lights like these, diode counts are everything, more = better, and that comes at a price.
Frankster I am not sure if you are aware but meihzi grow lights have failed to the point of burning down a house or two.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Sure they will. But the results are mostly up to you. And they will grow only 200 watts worth in a 2x4 area and the accessory diodes may burn out prematurely. For a bit more money you can get 240-300 watts and osram reds.
Oh I knew the 2x4 claim was not gonna work before I bought them. I have a 3x3 and use two to cover that for 400w
20200911 101159

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Keep it up SF, I might not have a set of your lights, but you look like your doing a fine job to me. I would consider doing the "commercial" series that I had discussed with you last week, I think it would go a long way in mitigating much of this controversy.

I was a sales manager /trainer a long time. Honesty breeds success. Why would you put all americans in a box? No one put all chinese in a box.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Frankster I am not sure if you are aware but meihzi grow lights have failed to the point of burning down a house or two.
Anytime your using a high powered driver in "series" runs this risk. Also, when people daisy chain things like power-strips one upon another in an already protected circuit bad things are prone to happening. If you have concerns about "fires" I would suggest sticking with lights that use multiple power supplies, not powerful drivers with multiples of series and parallel connections. No amount of wiring or "safety" features are going to mitigate that problem 100%.

Fires are not an issue prone to one lighting manufacture, but an issue with imbeciles, doing things they shouldn't. SF is UL certified. UL is one of several companies approved to perform safety testing by the U.S. federal agency Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) A bureau of the National Board of Fire Underwriters.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I was a sales manager /trainer a long time. Honesty breeds success. Why would you put all americans in a box? No one put all chinese in a box.
Nobody here has tried to put Chinese light manufactures in a box? I tend to disagree with this statement MiMed. I'm certainly not suggesting some of those complaints don't have some validity, I'm just saying it does happen.

As for putting anyone in a box, I'm speaking to these comments specifically, not Americans in general. (I probably could have worded it better) There are most certainly honest and dishonest people of all types of creeds, colors, race, religions, genders and nationalities.

I've known drug dealers that have more moral character than judges, police or doctors. Dishonesty comes in many forms.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Nobody here has tried to put Chinese light manufactures in a box? I tend to disagree with this statement MiMed.

I said the Chinese. Like you said Americans.

And you are defending an industry you obviously dont know about. Why do you think spider farmer spends most of their marketing showing how to tell if your samsung diodes are counterfeit?

And i still want to know what red and uv diodes they use? Thats a negative and most just want to see samsung listed and dont know more.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I said the Chinese. Like you said Americans.

And you are defending an industry you obviously dont know about. Why do you think spider farmer spends most of their marketing showing how to tell if your samsung diodes are counterfeit?

And i still want to know what red and uv diodes they use? Thats a negative and most just want to see samsung listed and dont know more.
I'll agree with you on that. More information is most certainly better. I'm concerned about the reds and UV also. In fact, I think many manufactures simply ignore UV for the most part.

I think possibly some of the problems might be sourcing of parts, and that many of the "value" lights are using whatever is available at the time of the build, when materials are sourced, and lights are still very much changing configurations, not just model to model, but from build to build.

If you have a "more efficient" choice that becomes available, or fits within the price range, why wouldn't you use it? It only makes sense. I think many of these lights are continually evolving.

Last edited:
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

A "hoot"? The vertical I'm in requires integrity. Personally I believe that the moral fiber of a company and its goals are both important. Capitalism isn't about profit without conscience for many companies. Sure there are many zillions of exceptions to the rule. But there are people here who own businesses besides me and from what I've read of their stuff, I doubt I would question either their integrity or their love of making cash. So if I'm running lights for my inside veg, I'd really really like to not come home to a smoking pile of ash... again. Our fire wasn't about that thank God. But... I wouldn't want to hang a light that could potentially change that. I'm really interested in replacing my ancient flouros with LED. But it won't be a Mars or SF fixture after reading all of this.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Capitalism isn't about profit without conscience for many companies.
False, unless those said companies are just bad capitalists, weighed down by these flighty moral prescriptions, in time the big boys will mow em down...

Anthem

Anthem

Anytime your using a high powered driver in "series" runs this risk. Also, when people daisy chain things like power-strips one upon another in an already protected circuit bad things are prone to happening. If you have concerns about "fires" I would suggest sticking with lights that use multiple power supplies, not powerful drivers with multiples of series and parallel connections. No amount of wiring or "safety" features are going to mitigate that problem 100%.
I do not care about what in the light caused the problem because that really would come down to the morals of the company creating the light. If their morals are to put profits over safety I would have a concern with their products across the board because that is a moral flaw created by the management. You folks are bitching about American companies, but this is a Chinese company putting profit in front of lives. So Meihzi being involved with SF means their lights cannot be trusted. Why would a company like Meihzi offer a product under another name when they are told to be a giant in the industry. It just does not sound like a stand up company regardless of the country of origin.
In regards to their UL certification, lets get a couple things straight because I have to work with UL. UL is the underwriter, they basically will preform a test of watch nature the testers wishes to be tested for. For example lets say Meihzi wants their cord tested to insure it can handle a specific load for a specfic amount of time. UL will perform the test and underwrite the produce meets that requirement. I know how much these tests cost and if you think SF/Meihzi are preforming those tests on each of their lights I believe you are mistaken. Maybe what should be verified is if they even have a UL listing.

matthewearl

matthewearl

Capitalism is actually your freedom to choose to pay twice as much for basically the same piece of equipment because of "politics" or whatever you want to call it.
Lot's of very thinly veiled racism being directed towards this company from what Im reading.

I would applaud the fact they took down misleading info from their website in response to being called out on it. In the guitar world, chinese counterfeiting is legendary...they will shamelessly slap an American company's logo on just about anything. So at $500 retail its a real waste of money and just wrong...take the logo off and you have the exact same parts and finish and it's a perfectly acceptable $200 entry level instrument ...

Anyone here own a Volkswagen ...? 🤣
I would not put a label as racism on anything that was said. Stroking that BIG brush so BROADLY (of racism) is dangerous. I am Asian and I have seen absolutely nothing like racism of the sort. Just because things may evolve (either culture or tendencies) from other countries does not regard it as racist. I am tired of all this racism, micro-aggression, etc BS going on. You will know racism when you see it. And yes, I DO agree with you. Being a guitarist myself I do know of such counterfeiting also. Look at Chibson. lol.

Glassdub

Glassdub

See, this guy did it right. He knew what the output was and what he was getting and used them correctly. You know how many would take that sf2000 and try to flower a 4x4 tent? hehehe.
I was going to (in a 3x4) because I listened to "customer support", that's why I don't pay attention customer support, in Asia or anyplace else as I've well over half a century of them being wrong more often than not.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I was going to (in a 3x4) because I listened to "customer support", that's why I don't pay attention customer support, in Asia or anyplace else as I've well over half a century of them being wrong more often than not.
Ive seen your thread and your plants look amazing man....you're not happy? 🤔

matthewearl

matthewearl

My recommendation (if it means anything) is to have an even par of 900 or better on the entire canopy. That is min for me for flowering. I have already par tested the sf2000 and you can def a 2x4 with one. Not any bigger.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
My recommendation (if it means anything) is to have an even par of 900 or better on the entire canopy. That is min for me for flowering. I have already par tested the sf2000 and you can def a 2x4 with one. Not any bigger.
Yeah i can't measure PAR but i get 75k lux 12" away pretty much wall to wall. I trust the company's spectrum analysis enough to know that translates to enough PAR for my grow 👍

Top Bottom