Spider Farmer LED Grow

AceIsWin

AceIsWin

Bought myself a SE-5000 after much deep research and comparison looking to replace flower rooms 2x600wHID+2xBlurple*600w* & for veg 400w HID
SpiderFarmer won the trustworthiness and community relations vote there are cheaper but you can't pass on quality and reliability.
I will be getting minimum 3 more but it's a start on the dream 6x10 flower room and these girls will love getting some light that isn't yellow or Blurple for the first time ever!

While I'm here what would you recommend for a 6x10 in addition to the SE-5000 I have ordered, I bought a rotary light mover last week but with the shape probably will get a rail as the current grow only takes up 4x8 and that's what I sized the rotary for not realising I could get a top quality LED for the same price.

20211114 185824

Dothraki

Dothraki

Wish someone would do an actual PAR test on the SE3000. I plan to use the photone app with my ipad but very skeptical that will be remotely accurate.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Wish someone would do an actual PAR test on the SE3000. I plan to use the photone app with my ipad but very skeptical that will be remotely accurate.
Par isn't very accurate in measuring LED's. Not for how we measure them anyhow.

PAR stands for Parabolic Anodized Reflector. ... Many halogen spot and flood lights use a parabolic (U-shaped) reflector to collect and reflect the light out the front of the bulb. is not required in LED systems. It's used because it's a industry standard designation.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
efficacy umol/J and output PPF umol/s ie. Photosynthetic Photon Flux is the total amount of light in the PAR zone that is produced by a light source each second. So PPF measures the “photosynthetically active photons emitted by a lighting system per second”.

Light color temps in Kelvin also are a factor for internoding, and flowering vs veg growth. ie. Plant Signaling.
LEDS are a complicated subject; nothing straightforward whatsoever.😉

Generally speaking;
The more diodes you use, you cast a wider net; allowing the PPF flux to be brought closer; INCREASING EFFICIENCY; penetration; lighting angles, ect....
The less diodes you use, you cast a tighter net, and drive the diodes harder. Reducing overall efficiency, and shortening diode lifetime. increase heat damage.

About as simple as I can put it is this; Samsung 301H diodes are the most efficient high end performing diodes currently in use; Bar none.
Samsung 301A-B diodes are the most cost efficient, period, hands down.😀

After that, it's just splitting hairs, with temp; ratio's, IR and UV A+B considerations.

SE7000 A3

Note how my output amperage is much higher than the spec for even the Se7000 input amperage. Whereas I'm only running @116w/120v 2.7a input. The Se unit runs at much higher voltage inputs; somewhere in the 240v range, I believe. But it probably vary model to model somewhat.

I can run a little higher, but I don't push things too hard. This is a complicated subject, and power supplies, and diode layouts need to be considered carefully. None of it's universal, or cross platform. There are no single industry standards, yet. My guess is that they will continue to evolve with the technology.

IMG 20211114 194240037
IMG 20211114 194250763
Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
i was just curious i know the sf4000 doesnt hardly put it any i would think the bars lights put out less
Should be around the same actually, watt for watt; but longer to simply heat up, cause more metal. But the detachability of the light is a big plus, I suppose. Don't know if the quantum's are capable of that or not, I don't think they are, actaully.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Par isn't very accurate in measuring LED's. Not for how we measure them anyhow.

PAR stands for Parabolic Anodized Reflector. ... Many halogen spot and flood lights use a parabolic (U-shaped) reflector to collect and reflect the light out the front of the bulb. is not required in LED systems. It's used because it's a industry standard designation.
I’m talking about Photosynthetic Active Radiation.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I’m talking about Photosynthetic Active Radiation.
PAR is apples and oranges, that's why I'm trying to convey here; nothing more. Not relevant in LED lights. ie. It's obsolete term. meaningless information.
Admittedly; Still has relevance for HPS and MH, but that's not the subject here.

Photosynthesis is a quantum process and the chemical reactions of photosynthesis are more dependent on the number of photons than the energy contained in the photons. Therefore, plant biologists often quantify PAR using the number of photons in the 400-700 nm range received by a surface for a specified amount of time, ie. the Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density (PPFD). Values of PPFD are normally expressed using units of mol m−2 s−1.

In relation to plant growth and morphology, it is better to characterize the light availability for plants by means of the Daily Light Integral (DLI), which is the daily flux of photons per ground area, and includes both diurnal variation as well as variation in day length.

PPFD used to sometimes be expressed using einstein units, i.e., μE m−2 s−1, although this usage is nonstandard and is no longer used.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Even if your were to make a par to ppfd algorithm, it would change with every voltage setting, every diode, ever ratio, so it would still be totally useless irrelevant information.

ie. Measuring light output vs measuring photosynthetically "active absorbable light" It's apples and oranges; there is no real conversion, unless you do the maths manually.

Dothraki

Dothraki

efficacy umol/J and output PPF umol/s ie. Photosynthetic Photon Flux is the total amount of light in the PAR zone that is produced by a light source each second. So PPF measures the “photosynthetically active photons emitted by a lighting system per second”.

Light color temps in Kelvin also are a factor for internoding, and flowering vs veg growth. ie. Plant Signaling.
LEDS are a complicated subject; nothing straightforward whatsoever.😉

Generally speaking;
The more diodes you use, you cast a wider net; allowing the PPF flux to be brought closer; INCREASING EFFICIENCY; penetration; lighting angles, ect....
The less diodes you use, you cast a tighter net, and drive the diodes harder. Reducing overall efficiency, and shortening diode lifetime. increase heat damage.

About as simple as I can put it is this; Samsung 301H diodes are the most efficient high end performing diodes currently in use; Bar none.
Samsung 301A-B diodes are the most cost efficient, period, hands down.😀

After that, it's just splitting hairs, with temp; ratio's, IR and UV A+B considerations.

View attachment 1188493

Note how my output amperage is much higher than the spec for even the Se7000 input amperage. Whereas I'm only running @116w/120v 2.7a input. The Se unit runs at much higher voltage inputs; somewhere in the 240v range, I believe. But it probably vary model to model somewhat.

I can run a little higher, but I don't push things too hard. This is a complicated subject, and power supplies, and diode layouts need to be considered carefully. None of it's universal, or cross platform. There are no single industry standards, yet. My guess is that they will continue to evolve with the technology.
I am not completely versed on the subject but do
PAR is apples and oranges, that's why I'm trying to convey here; nothing more. Not relevant in LED lights. ie. It's obsolete term. meaningless information.
Admittedly; Still has relevance for HPS and MH, but that's not the subject here.

Photosynthesis is a quantum process and the chemical reactions of photosynthesis are more dependent on the number of photons than the energy contained in the photons. Therefore, plant biologists often quantify PAR using the number of photons in the 400-700 nm range received by a surface for a specified amount of time, ie. the Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density (PPFD). Values of PPFD are normally expressed using units of mol m−2 s−1.

In relation to plant growth and morphology, it is better to characterize the light availability for plants by means of the Daily Light Integral (DLI), which is the daily flux of photons per ground area, and includes both diurnal variation as well as variation in day length.

PPFD used to sometimes be expressed using einstein units, i.e., μE m−2 s−1, although this usage is nonstandard and is no longer used.
But LEDs are designed to provide the wavelengths useful to growing, light is light weather it comes from the sun or an led. If the correct wavelength and density (amount per second) are present, what are the variables rendering it different from anotger source?

Dothraki

Dothraki

Even if your were to make a par to ppfd algorithm, it would change with every voltage setting, every diode, ever ratio, so it would still be totally useless irrelevant information.

ie. Measuring light output vs measuring photosynthetically "active absorbable light" It's apples and oranges; there is no real conversion, unless you do the maths manually.
It would be the most useful way to calculate it for consumers.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I am not completely versed on the subject but do

But LEDs are designed to provide the wavelengths useful to growing, light is light weather it comes from the sun or an led. If the correct wavelength and density (amount per second) are present, what are the variables rendering it different from anotger source?
The difference between these two wavelengths, essentially. Depending on configuration, and way of going about it. Again, it's a complicated subject. But leds are optimized too the bottom footprint, not the top one. Plus, there's way more going on in that green spectrum that doesn't get proper attention, IMO.

Anthocyanin; but that's another subject entirely. Also were not even talking about UV A+B here; needed during the fruiting and ripening stages for oil producing plants.
N eurolighting6
Absorption Spectrum of Various Plant Pigments Source Lincoln Taiz et al Plant

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

The difference between these two wavelengths, essentially. Depending on configuration, and way of going about it. Again, it's a complicated subject. But leds are optimized too the bottom footprint, not the top one. Plus, there's way more going on in that green spectrum that doesn't get proper attention, IMO.
View attachment 1188514View attachment 1188513
That doesn’t seem to show what you are debating though. I’m not saying the LEDs can produce exactly like the sun...I’m saying that using PAR to calculate PPFD would be the closest, best estimate of what height you should hang the light.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
That doesn’t seem to show what you are debating though. I’m not saying the LEDs can produce exactly like the sun...I’m saying that using PAR to calculate PPFD would be the closest, best estimate of what height you should hang the light.

I'm no debating anything; laying out information and educating any attempt to mold some outdated spec into fitting a modern technology; say what you want buddy; lay it out there. Prove your point. Sound like you got a problem with absorbing the information; and I feel ya, but it doesn't change the facts.

apples and oranges, what do you not understand.

Par is a hps spec, a sun spec; not an LED one. the end... take this information for what it's worth, or not. I don't care.

Last edited:
Top Bottom