Spider Farmer LED Grow

Glassdub

Glassdub

Very hot. Too hot to touch. My AC has to be set to 2 degrees cooler to keep it's temp down. Best thing to do is have 2 dedicated 6 inch fans blowing on the sink or set the driver outside your tent if you have one.
Again, unless you want to fire up the soldering iron, outside the tent is not an option, last time I removed the driver from the light panel to dim I hung it up above the panel rather than reattach to attempt to dissipate some of the heat, not really sure how effective this is but it can't hurt as it is directly in line with the exhaust fan outlet.

matthewearl

matthewearl

Again, unless you want to fire up the soldering iron, outside the tent is not an option, last time I removed the driver from the light panel to dim I hung it up above the panel rather than reattach to attempt to dissipate some of the heat, not really sure how effective this is but it can't hurt.
Yeah I am aware of this. I was just saying if you want to put in that work, then those are your options.

Dixi Normous

Dixi Normous

Very hot. Too hot to touch. My AC has to be set to 2 degrees cooler to keep it's temp down. Best thing to do is have 2 dedicated 6 inch fans blowing on the sink or set the driver outside your tent if you have one.

Thanks for the heads up .. under the lights is it fair to say it's still a lot cooler that a 600w HPS ? TIA

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Yeah I am aware of this. I was just saying if you want to put in that work, then those are your options.

What a pain in the ASS!!! SF would have sell hard to try to convince me to use something like that. I remember when the options were HPS/MH or T5 HO flouros. Hated the heat. Hated the burn. Went with T5's and that was that. Since then I have experimented with LEDs but haven't been impressed yet. I'll take my flouros for veg and the actual sun for flowering. Haven't seen anything on this thread yet that would even tempt me to do otherwise.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
What a pain in the ASS!!! SF would have sell hard to try to convince me to use something like that. I remember when the options were HPS/MH or T5 HO flouros. Hated the heat. Hated the burn. Went with T5's and that was that. Since then I have experimented with LEDs but haven't been impressed yet. I'll take my flouros for veg and the actual sun for flowering. Haven't seen anything on this thread yet that would even tempt me to do otherwise.

These are an interesting alternative for my seedlings, full spectrum, but sorta a weird solution, passive heat sync, but a fairly warm unit. It's not much output, like 16,000 Lux at 8 inches, but I get readings of like 130,000 when I put it up close. Cost me $30

Really nice for adjusting intensity during early development Only uses 60 watts, 2/3 the power of my UFO

IMG 20200904 2307021
IMG 20200904 2307122
Last edited:
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
These are an interesting alternative for my seedlings, full spectrum, but sorta a weird solution, passive heat sync, but a fairly warm unit. It's not much output, like 16,000 Lux at 8 inches, but I get readings of like 130,000 when I put it up close. Cost me $30

Really nice for adjusting intensity during early development
They a Sunblaze T5 HO 8 bulb. I use 4 flowering and 4 veg bulbs in both of mine. They do AMAZINGLY well on clones, seedlings, and normal veg. And you can park them 6 inches from the plants without any burn and great penetration to the base of the plants. Current amazon cost? 170.00 for a 4x2. I'm reading here that people are using 3 and 4 of these SF lights in one 4x4 tent? Bwah!!!! Woooooot??? I use 1 4x2 in a 2x6 space with a supplemental UFO blurple and pull the same frosty nugs everyone else is. Well they DO get flowered in the sun so there is that. But still. That cost is crazy for multiple lights.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
They a Sunblaze T5 HO 8 bulb. I use 4 flowering and 4 veg bulbs in both of mine. They do AMAZINGLY well on clones, seedlings, and normal veg. And you can park them 6 inches from the plants without any burn and great penetration to the base of the plants. Current amazon cost? 170.00 for a 4x2. I'm reading here that people are using 3 and 4 of these SF lights in one 4x4 tent? Bwah!!!! Woooooot??? I use 1 4x2 in a 2x6 space with a supplemental UFO blurple and pull the same frosty nugs everyone else is. Well they DO get flowered in the sun so there is that. But still. That cost is crazy for multiple lights.
Yea, I just put the tester on that unit, it's pulling 60 watts, I paid $30 for that unit, you can dial them down within 2 inches once they can handle it, but it does seem like a pretty warm unit, I think it just holds onto the heat though.

Looks almost like cast aluminum, I believe.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Lookin at the wrong thread and lights dude

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Lookin at the wrong thread and lights dude
These are the one's I'm currently looking at, as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger this week.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
UV-B light reduces powdery mildew (PM) infection by up to 90%, so any lights I purchase, it's a must have for me. Plus the added benefit of enhanced oil production.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Thanks for the heads up .. under the lights is it fair to say it's still a lot cooler that a 600w HPS ? TIA
In my opinion yes, it is still way cooler than the 600w hps I used to run but im running a sf-2000. I don't know about the 4000 but im adding a second 2000 and probably removing the drivers to outside my tent.
Doesn't seem to be a popular option around here but I totally understand that. I come from an era of growing where we would "hack" any product, warranty or not if it made life easier on our plants because cannabis specific products were not really available easily so I probably see this through a different lens.
There's obviously a trade off with these lights. Output for heat. If you and your plants can live with that it shouldn't matter what the "pros" say.
In fairness I should add that this is also my first experience with LED besides a $60 Verosky, having just made the switch from HID so I don't have the knowledge to compare them with other brands like HLG.

Happy plants = happy me ❤🌱

Last edited:
Top Bottom