Steamrollers little hide away pt 1

• Thread starter steamroller
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
steamroller

steamroller

It is not about me you know.
Love you man!
So since this thread is all about me, be careful what you ask for.
I am going to attempt hydro with a Steamroller twist maybe? Somebody must have done this before? 🤷‍♂️
I am planning to use Bato/Dutch buckets with a reasonable sized res/sump.
Besides having seeds I really want to pop I am in no hurry. I pressed an ounce for the seahorse and dragon egg and am still PHAT!😶‍🌫️
I really could wait till 2024 EASY. Go figure when you grow 12-20 plants per grow..
So I have a HM500 meter like @SweetLeafGrow already sitting next to me but think it needs a sibling!

I am figuring that growing multiple strains on one loop/system will result in a headache with my lack of wisdom.
I really want to hear more from other hydro guys on this, but seems common sense.
So I am now thinking TWO sumps/ res to grow at least 2 strains here. I really want cherry pot and have the Cherry Garcia sitting here.
I have not ordered my buckets yet but am leaning towards these https://www.artisuntechnology.com/products/5-pack-giant-dutch-bucket-br-elbows-lid-net-pot
I am hoping to run 5 plants per set up. So 10 + plants hopefully soon.
There are a smaller pot set up https://www.bootstrapfarmer.com/products/dutch-bucket

If there is any gain in the larger more expensive bucket I am in!
The rest for now is me waiting for valuable input from others or ruling the world!
There is a thread on these buckets from the past here; https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/12k-build-out-and-grow.86230/#post-2923709

Hope to get some help along the way!
You mister shady guy got it going on.
I don't know organic like you, but can't wait to help noobs with both soil/synthetic and hydro!! 😍

My third grade teacher made me look up the definition of procrastinator.
Kind of a funny story in my memory. 🤣
I got weed and get paid every week I go to work.
No hurry, kind of seeking improvement without much effort. 😲
I mentioned to a friend I need more than a grow. Like I stated in the beginning of this thread this is supposed to consume my time, energy and creativity. I need to assemble/ build/ modify a system I will do well with hopefully.
We will all see soon enough.
Almost ordered buckets tonight but really would like input...

Last edited:
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

It is not about me you know.
Love you man!
So since this thread is all about me, be careful what you ask for.
I am going to attempt hydro with a Steamroller twist maybe? Somebody must have done this before? 🤷‍♂️
I am planning to use Bato/Dutch buckets with a reasonable sized res/sump.
Besides having seeds I really want to pop I am in no hurry. I pressed an ounce for the seahorse and dragon egg and am still PHAT!😶‍🌫️
I really could wait till 2024 EASY. Go figure when you grow 12-20 plants per grow..
So I have a HM500 meter like @SweetLeafGrow already sitting next to me but think it needs a sibling!

I am figuring that growing multiple strains on one loop/system will result in a headache with my lack of wisdom.
I really want to hear more from other hydro guys on this, but seems common sense.
So I am now thinking TWO sumps/ res to grow at least 2 strains here. I really want cherry pot and have the Cherry Garcia sitting here.
I have not ordered my buckets yet but am leaning towards these https://www.artisuntechnology.com/products/5-pack-giant-dutch-bucket-br-elbows-lid-net-pot
I am hoping to run 5 plants per set up. So 10 + plants hopefully soon.
There are a smaller pot set up https://www.bootstrapfarmer.com/products/dutch-bucket

If there is any gain in the larger more expensive bucket I am in!
The rest for now is me waiting for valuable input from others or ruling the world!
There is a thread on these buckets from the past here; https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/12k-build-out-and-grow.86230/#post-2923709

Hope to get some help along the way!
You mister shady guy got it going on.
I don't know organic like you, but can't wait to help noobs with both soil/synthetic and hydro!! 😍

My third grade teacher made me look up the definition of procrastinator.
Kind of a funny story in my memory. 🤣
I got weed and get paid every week I go to work.
No hurry, kind of seeking improvement without much effort. 😲
I mentioned to a friend I need more than a grow. Like I stated in the beginning of this thread this is supposed to consume my time, energy and creativity. I need to assemble/ build/ modify a system I will do well with hopefully.
We will all see soon enough.
Almost ordered buckets tonight but really would like input...

Well it sounds like you're mustering up something that should def occupy your time sir! 15-20 plants is crazy and I could imagine you probably get anxiety come harvest time 🤣 looking forward to seeing what you and the guys cook up here and see how it compares to the greenhouse/jungle that you had going on.

Good luck with the ventures into hydro and I will be following along and wondering what its like! I agree that it might be wiser to run same strains per system that you've got just for simplicity of feedings.

steamroller

steamroller

Want to hear from hydro guys if they ever grow more than one strain on a single loop.
I am just guessing most grow only one strain? 🤷‍♂️
Anyone want to speak to BATO/ Dutch buckets?

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Want to hear from hydro guys if they ever grow more than one strain on a single loop.

I want to do this but am nervous about it. I've seen how different strains have different needs. Probably and advanced thing I would want to try once I have more experience in hydro and/or am familiar with enough strains to know if they play well together.

Anyone want to speak to BATO/ Dutch buckets?
The Dutch buckets look good, not sure many have much experience with them but hoping to see someone who has used them chime in.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey bud, sure I have grown 6 different strains in the same system. An experienced grower like you will be fine.

I don't understand what is happening with that bump in the bottom of the dutch bucket. Looking at them for the first time here.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I want to do this but am nervous about it. I've seen how different strains have different needs. Probably and advanced thing I would want to try once I have more experience in hydro and/or am familiar with enough strains to know if they play well together.

The biggest thing is the training. Trying to keep the canopy level with multiple genetics can require a fair amount of lst and hst.

As far as feeding differences, I have always been able to find a happy medium. You may not grow the best version of every plant, but you can do reasonably well. Also foliar feeding can help with things like a plant that is a magnesium whore.

I'd advise doing res changes vs. top offs on these kinds of grows.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

The biggest thing is the training. Trying to keep the canopy level with multiple genetics can require a fair amount of lst and hst.

As far as feeding differences, I have always been able to find a happy medium. You may not grow the best version of every plant, but you can do reasonably well. Also foliar feeding can help with things like a plant that is a magnesium whore.

I'd advise doing res changes vs. top offs on these kinds of grows.
OK, great to know all this Moe, perhaps I am making more out of it than I ought. I really want to run mulitples because I want the entourage effect in my medicine that I can get by combining different strains. I get the training part for sure but what concerned me most was the feeding differences. If I could figure that out, I'd jump in head first on this one!

steamroller

steamroller

Hey bud, sure I have grown 6 different strains in the same system. An experienced grower like you will be fine.

I don't understand what is happening with that bump in the bottom of the dutch bucket. Looking at them for the first time here.
The bump creates a 2 inch deep area that will always have water. It may lose a little more the way they use the supplied connections, but I have different plans.
This video [ quick] shows how they hook up the drain. https://youtu.be/M0SQ052tCSs
The video shows how they use them.
I am thinking the one pointing down can be rotated to any position and that would be the overflow I have mentioned.

Thanks guys for tagging in. 💪
I am oredering buckets when we all think good.
The 11 liter are 10x12x9 and the 44 liter are 14x14x14. Thinking 44 liter with head room being only concern.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The bump creates a 2 inch deep area that will always have water. It may lose a little more the way they use the supplied connections, but I have different plans.
This video [ quick] shows how they hook up the drain. https://youtu.be/M0SQ052tCSs
I am thinking the one pointing down can be rotated to any position and that would be the overflow I have mentioned.

The 11 liter are 10x12x9 and the 44 liter are 14x14x14. Thinking 44 liter with head room being only concern.
So it sits in 2” of water max? I gotta go to a pc and figure these things out.

Anthem

Anthem

See if Greentree hydroponics is still in business. He was selling a similar system but it does not leave any water in the bottom of the pots. I use his systems and I have been for years. It is very easy to use and produces very good results. The only item of importance is the buckets have to be level. Any water in the bottom has created rot root in my experience. Even while sterile.

also if you use a good general purpose nutrient line it makes it much easier to run multiple strains in the same system. I am a fan for Jacks 321 and the cost is cheap. There are other cheap lines, Grow More, Master Blend, a couple others but most of these are just dry salt lines that you add typically calcium nitrate and Epsom Salt.

steamroller

steamroller

@Anthem it looks like greentree is sold out or gone?
If the water constantly circulates the amount of water in bucket matters?
I would have thought the water level was low looking at most RDWC set ups?
@Moe.Red my plan is turn drain to point up ro raise or control water level.
Appreciate the help guys!
All in with Jacks..

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

@Anthem it looks like greentree is sold out or gone?
If the water constantly circulates the amount of water in bucket matters?
I would have thought the water level was low looking at most RDWC set ups?
@Moe.Red my plan is turn drain to point up ro raise or control water level.
Appreciate the help guys!
All in with Jacks..
Maybe I’m thinking about this wrong but it seems like a water level above the snap in pipes would be a spot to leak.

Still haven’t gotten to pc but I’ll look this system up later and try to get an education. I’m wondering why I have never seen this style done tho?

steamroller

steamroller

Some links I have read use a medium in the bucket.
My first thought was it was just a shallow RDWC set up but now think it is used more like rock wool and emmiters?
I was thinking just a net pot and the water at whatever level. No media besides what is in net pot.
Maybe there is no major difference between filling bucket or net pot, but I prefer the net pot.
I plan to use air stones in buckets and res and a good circulation pump to feed.
I would have thought without medium it would run 24/7 like RDWC, but with medium they say to feed like 2x an hour.
I still like the bucket design, but now wonder if I am just dreaming up my system?
@Moe.Red the drain connections may leak, but that is not a concern since the drain is positioned above the return line to res.
The water has to flow out the premanufactured drain/ nipple.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OK, great to know all this Moe, perhaps I am making more out of it than I ought. I really want to run mulitples because I want the entourage effect in my medicine that I can get by combining different strains. I get the training part for sure but what concerned me most was the feeding differences. If I could figure that out, I'd jump in head first on this one!
You know there is a ton of help here if you try and have problems.

I guess think of it this way. You had a Mac dragon that was happy around 600 ppm. You have a Mendel that is more like 1000. Do you think either would perish if you ran 800 ppm? May not be perfect but both will make it to the finish like just fine.

You would run one strain of clones if you were commercial for sure. We are not. It’s a valid grow style to do multiple.

I have probably grown over 100 phenos at this point. If I had done all my grows with a single genetic I’d be at 20% of that or something.

In fog I am running all the same so I can bust bro science myths. If I were using it for personal I’d grow 8 different plants for sure.

It’s another way to challenge your skills and get better. I recommend you try it when you feel ready.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Some links I have read use a medium in the bucket.
My first thought was it was just a shallow RDWC set up but now think it is used more like rock wool and emmiters?
I was thinking just a net pot and the water at whatever level. No media besides what is in net pot.
Maybe there is no major difference between filling bucket or net pot, but I prefer the net pot.
I plan to use air stones in buckets and res and a good circulation pump to feed.
I would have thought without medium it would run 24/7 like RDWC, but with medium they say to feed like 2x an hour.
I still like the bucket design, but now wonder if I am just dreaming up my system?
@Moe.Red the drain connections may leak, but that is not a concern since the drain is positioned above the return line to res.
The water has to flow out the premanufactured drain/ nipple.
If there is 2” of water in the bottom and then a big air gap the roots hang out in you will get root damage or air pruning. So I’m not quite sure how these work.

If you fill the buckets with coco or something then you basically built an auto pot. There are several of those grows on the farm you can see results. I started with auto pots in my stealth days and outgrew them but they do work.

steamroller

steamroller

That was also an idea I had.
I really thought the extra empty space was screaming for O2 and water to dance around the roots.
Not sure I understand emitting fog, but know you would have my back if it easily incorporates.
I could pretty easily set up a shower type head in each bucket.
That type of set up would run on timers and not 24/7?
I would really like the ease of 24/7 feeding.

If I turn the drain tube elbow to face up then water has to fill higher to overflow out.
That could be water right up to an inch below pot or higher if I wanted.
This is my original and desired set up. The part that is my own twist from playing with water.
The overflow encourages more gas exchange and higher DO levels, besides all the help from air pump and circulation.

Top Bottom